PM Abhisit Denies Sticking To 9-Month House Dissolution

webfact

Anyway personal opinion , i think Abhisit should stick to

9 months else he wont have time to do properly his job

as simple as that .

If the red shirts want to stay in BKK another 9 months

never mind mai pen rai , let em . Guess the boss will run out

of cash before that

It's not a question of what Abhisit wants or doesn't want it's a question of what his Military/Amataya masters tell him to do. General Anupong retires in September and according to articles in the other English Language daily Abhisit has been contacted by both Anupong and Prem and told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's selected man is installed as replacement it's as easy as that.

Which of course ... no such thing has been reported in the BP

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When will Thailand politics rid itself from the military influence. They are just another civil servants and should never be a factor like so many countries.

They will get rid of it when a few more people understand democracy and when they start doing something more about corruption.

Excuse me! They will get rid of Army influence when people understand democracy? Silly me I thought it would be the other way around.

It would be nice ... I'm just being a realistic.

It's not a question of what Abhisit wants or doesn't want it's a question of what his Military/Amataya masters tell him to do. General Anupong retires in September and according to articles in the other English Language daily Abhisit has been contacted by both Anupong and Prem and told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's selected man is installed as replacement, it's as easy as that.

So, what you're suggesting is that Anupong and Thaksin should be doing the negotiations?

edit: but, ofcourse, it's not about Thaksin.

Edited by anotherpeter

as simple as that .

of cash before that

It's not a question of what Abhisit wants or doesn't want it's a question of what his Military/Amataya masters tell him to do. General Anupong retires in September and according to articles in the other English Language daily Abhisit has been contacted by both Anupong and Prem and told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's selected man is installed as replacement, it's as easy as that.

Well the PM would prefer an army commander that supports him and vice versa . The power of the army in Thailand has existed long before Abhisit , so cant blame the PM for that .

Edited by moresomekl

So, now its 9 months until the House is dissolved ...and then what ...another 12 months until elections are held? Or are they actually holding elections in 9-10 months?

My understanding is, that Abhisit's offer to dissolve the government and call new election (whiich was turned down BTW) was conditional on his getting some constitutional reform measures agreed upon, then a referendum on said reform, then Parliamentary implementation of that reform. Also there had to be some agreement as to access by all candidates to all areas and voters who form the electorate. also he expected that emotions might cool in that time frame. as I said, it was turned down so it is unknown if that is still the current roadmap toward new elections.

Some major coaoliton allies have said if the reds dont take the 9 months Abhisit should serve out his time. For the coalitoon it is likley they want no shorter time than 9 months. Abhisit may well be up for 9 months. The economist in a recent article even theorised that TRT had been in decline since 2005 and there was arguement that would continue to the Dems advantage even in a snap election. There is a lot of speculation that PTP MPs dont really want an election too.

Very possible what you say about PTP MP's .

They prefer to be in their comfortable chairs

for time beeing never mind if in the opposition

and enjoy not beeing barked at if they dont obey

Thaksin's cash magics or impeached if they do .

Edited by moresomekl

One of the reasons why I fail to be impressed with the UDD and Thaksin-allied movement in general is their track record of never keeping promises.

In contrast, after the coup of 2006, the next day the General Sondhi declared they would return power to the civilian legislature within 12 months. This they did, even in the full knowledge that Thaksin's proxies would be voted in.

Abhisit does not have to call elections till the end of 2011,but has offered to call them early by the end of the year. I don't think anyone doubts for a second that he will hold to his word. I really don't see why the red shirts can't accept this. It is a victory in itself, and gives them time to come up with some kind of actual policies by which the nation can judge their competence to lead the country.

Possible stumbling block: will Thaksin's money run out by then? :)

Abhisit is reasonable indeed .

But yes its about $$ , of course , at the end it always is with Thaksin .

Thaksin knows he/PTP wont be abble to buy votes DURING elections ,

without facing the same impeachment as TRT and PPP before

So if the election is held soon , the 500THB he gives to every red shirt rank and file

daily will be fresh is all memories and count as vote buying , except this time its paiement

in advance if you prefer .

Thaksin uses as he always has the fact that the red rank and file is poor and need

the money .

First of all it was 200 Baht then 300 Baht and now you obviously have proof to hand that it was 500 Baht. (Even before 1932 Largesse was distributed by the Amataya to ingratiate themselves with the people and they didn't even need to be voted in. It's something that's expected of important people all over Asia). However, your claim that it is so easy to buy votes doesn't actually ring true. For a start the rural people have come a long way since 1932 and apart from that how exactly would it work?

You claim that people will be paid 500 Baht in advance but what happens then. Does the person who pays the 500 Baht follow them into the booth to make sure that they put their cross in the right place? Bearing in mind that all parties would have representatives outside the polling station.

And of course if it were true that Thai Rak Thai/People's Power Party/Phue Thai bought votes could the number of votes bought by them possibly equal the milions of votes represented by the forty Phue Thai MPs who were bought by the Military/Amataya

to install Abhisit as Prime Minister.

From your comments you must have a very low opinion of the rural people. However, if you believe that people who (because of roadblocks and harrasment from the military on the way down to Bangkok) had to spend 2 to 3 days travelling instead of the normal one day and then spend weeks sleeping rough on Bangkok's pavements are so easily bought I think that you're sadly mistaken.

Edited by termad

as simple as that .

of cash before that

Well the PM would prefer an army commander that supports him and vice versa . The power of the army in Thailand has existed long before Abhisit , so cant blame the PM for that .

The Military/Amataya do not support Abhisit they tell him what to do.

First of all it was 200 Baht then 300 Baht and now you obviously have proof to hand that it was 500 Baht. (Even before 1932 Largesse was distributed by the Amataya to ingratiate themselves with the people and they didn't even need to be voted in. It's something that's expected of important people all over Asia). However, your claim that it is so easy to buy votes doesn't actually ring true. For a start the rural people have come a long way since 1932 and apart from that how exactly would it work?

You claim that people will be paid 500 Baht in advance but what happens then. Does the person who pays the 500 Baht follow them into the booth to make sure that they put their cross in the right place? Bearing in mind that all parties would have representativesoutside the polling station.

And of course if it were true that Thai Rak Thai/People's Power Party/Phue Thai bought votes could the number of votes bought by them possibly equal the milions of votes represented by the forty Phue Thai MPs who were bought by the Military/Amataya

From your comments you must have a very low opinion of the rural people. However, if you believe that people who (because of roadblocks and harrasment from the military on the way down to Bangkok) had to spend 2 to 3 days travelling instead of the normal one day and then spend weeks sleeping rough on Bangkok's pavements are so easily bought I think that you're sadly mistaken.

There has actually been a lot written about polling booths not facing the correct direction, allowing certain people to view or take photos of people's votes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_legislat...election_result

I think you are the only person on here suggesting that vote buying doesn't take place. There are plenty of people on here with FIRST hand experience of vote buying. Generally the statements go along the lines of "I don't care who wins, I just care who gives me the most money."

If the protestors are being paid 500 baht per day to be here, they don't really care how many days or how many road blocks they have to go through to get here. And there is no secret that they are being paid to be here (not all, ofcourse).

So, what you're suggesting is that Anupong and Thaksin should be doing the negotiations?

As Abhisit has been told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's succesor is installed what has Thaksin got to do with it?

One of the reasons why I fail to be impressed with the UDD and Thaksin-allied movement in general is their track record of never keeping promises.

In contrast, after the coup of 2006, the next day the General Sondhi declared they would return power to the civilian legislature within 12 months. This they did, even in the full knowledge that Thaksin's proxies would be voted in.

Abhisit does not have to call elections till the end of 2011,but has offered to call them early by the end of the year. I don't think anyone doubts for a second that he will hold to his word. I really don't see why the red shirts can't accept this. It is a victory in itself, and gives them time to come up with some kind of actual policies by which the nation can judge their competence to lead the country.

Possible stumbling block: will Thaksin's money run out by then? :)

Abhisit is reasonable indeed .

But yes its about $$ , of course , at the end it always is with Thaksin .

Thaksin knows he/PTP wont be abble to buy votes DURING elections ,

without facing the same impeachment as TRT and PPP before

So if the election is held soon , the 500THB he gives to every red shirt rank and file

daily will be fresh is all memories and count as vote buying , except this time its paiement

in advance if you prefer .

Thaksin uses as he always has the fact that the red rank and file is poor and need

the money .

You claim that people will be paid 500 Baht in advance but what happens then. Does the person who pays the 500 Baht follow them into the booth to make sure that they put their cross in the right place? Bearing in mind that all parties would have representatives outside the polling station.

Alright all the while my understanding was 500THB paid daily to protesters . Maybe i misunderstood . No i dont have a bad opinion about the rurals AT ALL

As Abhisit has been told that he can't disolve the house until Anupong's succesor is installed what has Thaksin got to do with it?

Anupong hasn't retired yet, so if he is the one running things, then he should be negotiating with Thaksin, because he is certainly running things on the red side.

Opinion from my gf in the country side

- Abhisit very bad , keep on loaning and loaning

- Export to Europe are very down

- Factories are closing

- Many ppl are loosing their job

I have no comments

It is also very wrong. There are currently loads of jobs in factory land and companies are having trouble finding enough workers to meet demand for exports now they are rising, or at least this is true in Chonburi and Rayong according to everyone I talk to.

Maybe the word hasnt got to the villages yet as this would explain this comment. Or maybve someone upcountry is telling the people porkies

- Factories are closing

I have no comments

It is also very wrong. There are currently loads of jobs in factory land and companies are having trouble finding enough workers to meet demand for exports now they are rising, or at least this is true in Chonburi and Rayong according to everyone I talk to.

Maybe the word hasnt got to the villages yet as this would explain this comment. Or maybve someone upcountry is telling the people porkies

She told me about Samut Prakan area .

Well if what you say is true then Abhisit really needs to improve his PR

You claim that people will be paid 500 Baht in advance but what happens then. Does the person who pays the 500 Baht follow them into the booth to make sure that they put their cross in the right place? Bearing in mind that all parties would have representativesoutside the polling station.

There has actually been a lot written about polling booths not facing the correct direction, allowing certain people to view or take photos of people's votes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_legislat...election_result

I think you are the only person on here suggesting that vote buying doesn't take place. There are plenty of people on here with FIRST hand experience of vote buying. Generally the statements go along the lines of "I don't care who wins, I just care who gives me the most money."

If the protestors are being paid 500 baht per day to be here, they don't really care how many days or how many road blocks they have to go through to get here. And there is no secret that they are being paid to be here (not all, ofcourse).

Where is your source to say that the Red Shirt protesters are being paid 500 Baht a day for being in Bangkok? (Up to 100.000 protesters at 500 Baht a day!) What is your source for saying that they are being paid at all? They say they aren't so who are you to call them liars?

What do you call first first hand experience of vote buying? Are you saying that forum members have actualy paid or received money for their votes?

The row over the positioning of polling booths was started by the PAD (who don't even believe in an elected Parliament) whether anybody did peek over somebody's shoulder to see how they voted was never established, as far as I know. If you remember Thaksin also called a new election which never took place because the Army made a Coup.

I notice, as usual, that you have decided not to comment on the fact that forty Phue Thai MPs and the millions of votes that they represented were bought by the Military/Amataya in order to install Abhisit as Prime Minister. Mainly I think because it would be pointless of you to deny it.

Edited by termad

Anupong hasn't retired yet, so if he is the one running things, then he should be negotiating with Thaksin, because he is certainly running things on the red side.

Better no reply than a banal reply.

as simple as that .

of cash before that

The Military/Amataya do not support Abhisit they tell him what to do.

yet again you seem to be basing your statements on an article that you state appears in the BP ... that does not exist and never has.

- Factories are closing

I have no comments

Its all about propaganda and counter propaganda .

Who wins that one wins the war .

Better no reply than a banal reply.

Oh ... so it's OK for Jatuporn and co. to be "puppets" of Thaksin, but not for, as you put it, Abhisit to be a "puppet" of Anupong.

edit: and some things need repeating for them to get through to some people.

Edited by anotherpeter

No great surprises here, he is just doing what his Army bosses have told him to 9 months gives them enough time to reshuffle and start spending the uncapped budget that this 'Government' has given them.

Do you really think that it would be that much different with Thaksin? Thaksin was trying to get his people at the head of the army. He would have made sure his people were looked after. Otherwise they wouldn't support him any more. Once Thaksin had his people at the top, HE could have control of them. That would have cemented his dictatorship.

The army are too powerful in Thailand and too involved in the politics of the country. That has been the case for 80 years, and probably for centuries before that. It's not going to change overnight. It's not going to change if Thaksin is in power. They would just be doing what he wants.

Thaksin isn't the answer. He is the problem. Without Thaksin the country would move forward.

The power of the army can not be changed overnight. It can be changed through the education of the people (all Thais, not just the farmers) about democracy. It can be changed by getting rid of the corruption at ALL levels of Thai society.

The poor farmers are protesting for a better deal, and think that Thaksin is the answer. They need to look in their own backyards first, and look at the corruption in their villages and the corruption by the RICH LOCALS. It's not the 'elite' in Bangkok that is their problem. It's the 'elite' in their villages that have been exploiting them for far too long.

Lest some folks conveniently forget. A snap election was scheduled and held. Now we are told it is not possible. WHY?

Watch closely as we are told of Constitution manipulations to guarantee the present government can remain in office by newly created parlimentary maneuvers. Let's hope the people will be able to retain the right to choose their leaders with their votes and not be overidden by some parlimentary gimmick.

Lest some folks conveniently forget. A snap election was scheduled and held. Now we are told it is not possible. WHY?

Watch closely as we are told of Constitution manipulations to guarantee the present government can remain in office by newly created parlimentary maneuvers. Let's hope the people will be able to retain the right to choose their leaders with their votes and not be overidden by some parlimentary gimmick.

They didn't actually say it wasn't possible.

There have been plenty of reasons given as to why the government will not call a snap election. Abhisit was very clear about that during the televised 'negotiations'.

No great surprises here, he is just doing what his Army bosses have told him to 9 months gives them enough time to reshuffle and start spending the uncapped budget that this 'Government' has given them.

Do you really think that it would be that much different with Thaksin? Thaksin was trying to get his people at the head of the army. He would have made sure his people were looked after. Otherwise they wouldn't support him any more. Once Thaksin had his people at the top, HE could have control of them. That would have cemented his dictatorship.

The army are too powerful in Thailand and too involved in the politics of the country. That has been the case for 80 years, and probably for centuries before that. It's not going to change overnight. It's not going to change if Thaksin is in power. They would just be doing what he wants.

Thaksin isn't the answer. He is the problem. Without Thaksin the country would move forward.

The power of the army can not be changed overnight. It can be changed through the education of the people (all Thais, not just the farmers) about democracy. It can be changed by getting rid of the corruption at ALL levels of Thai society.

The poor farmers are protesting for a better deal, and think that Thaksin is the answer. They need to look in their own backyards first, and look at the corruption in their villages and the corruption by the RICH LOCALS. It's not the 'elite' in Bangkok that is their problem. It's the 'elite' in their villages that have been exploiting them for far too long.

LOL !!

Talk about a selective memory! A snap election was called when Thaksin was attempting to whitewash his Temasak deal and to try and save TRT from dissolution. That election was the proximal cause (unless it was the Temasek deal) of ALL the current issues! Thaksin had the majority of parliament and called unneeded early elections. HUGE mistake that has cost the country untold billions of dollars. Those snap elections did also provide the nail in the coffin for TRT.

The current government is talking about a NATIONAL REFERENDUM on the charter reform. You certainly can't be upset about letting people VOTE for constitutional changes can you?

Kudos on not trying the 'no confidence' spin again though!

very true but you should have added that Taksin put his brother (or cousin?) in as armu chief even though he was completely incompetent. Governments in Thailand need army support whether they like it or not. Abhisit has the support of the army because he is an Honest and capable man.

I could definitely rewrite your last sentence in multiple ways. Accepting your assesment of Abhisit at face value it should probably read a lot more like

"Abhisit has the support of the army IN SPITE of him being and Honest and capable man."

Oh ... so it's OK for Jatuporn and co. to be "puppets" of Thaksin, but not for, as you put it, Abhisit to be a "puppet" of Anupong.

Double standards. It's perfectly acceptable. :)

Hmmm and it was good of Abhisit to remind us of when the phrase "double standards" first started being used in Thailand --- 2001 asset concealment case :D

Hmmm and it was good of Abhisit to remind us of when the phrase "double standards" first started being used in Thailand --- 2001 asset concealment case :D

Actually, I think it was me who reminded Abhisit. You haven't noticed the 1-2 day lag in Nation-BP writing and this website?