Social Media Role Continues To Grow

george

FACEBOOK, TWITTER PHENOMENON

Social media role continues to grow

By Jirapan Boonnoon

The Nation

30126090-01.jpg

'Most important link' between traditional media and readers

The social media continue to grow in popularity in Thailand, not only because networks like Facebook and Twitter generate two-way communication among friends, but also because they have become innovative tools for business.

The creation of fan pages and followers has formed a basis for modern business channels.

Kapook.com's managing director Poramate Minsiri said there was increasing use of the social media in Thailand because Facebook was able to create a community between page owners, or members, and followers of their fan pages. This not only created closer communication, but also personalised it.

Last year, Thailand had the highest growth rate in the world for Internet users participating in social media or social networks. There are now more than 39,000 active Twitter members and 2.3 million Facebook members in Thailand.

Poramate said Facebook was the most powerful social medium and was more popular than the others because it allowed developers to create new applications and offer new services to members, especially quizzes, games and the scheduled dispatch of gifts to friends.

Kapook.com has now set up www.thaifollow.com as a community and database of Thai Tweeters [active users of Twitter], and it plans to develop a Thai Facebook database. It says membership of San Francisco-based social network hi5 has slowed down.

"Thailand now has around 17 million Internet users and this number will grow because the price of mobile devices is going down, and rich features such as high resolution and video functions will help to increase Internet users and encourage them to access knowledge via mobile devices," Poramate said.

Tarad.com's managing director Pawoot Pongvitayapanu said social media had become popular in Thailand because the "new generation" was able to easily communicate with friends via networks such as Facebook and Twitter. This, in turn, promotes and increases Internet access.

He said the social media were also indirect tools for business, which was able to invite close friends and customers to participate in business, creating a "personal touch". Companies have been able to expand their business because of the social media.

"I think the social media have an important role in creating inspiration or influence, so that Internet users make a decision to do something, such as purchasing a product or some goods. The social media stimulate and attract people to participate; changing customer behaviour to buy products or services because they allow friends and relatives into the act, making the personalisation closer. Media and marketing executives are therefore able to use the social media as tools, or a marketing arm, to enter a target group through influencers," Pawoot said.

He said the social media had grown beyond simple two-way communication between members and their friends or relatives. They had become an indirect marketing channel to promote products and services to specific target groups.

The Nation is one of Thailand's newspapers to have entered the social media, allowing readers or audiences to interact with the newspaper through social media such Twitter and Facebook.

The Nation's editor Tulsathit Taptim said the newspaper entered the social media early this year. Nation Multimedia Group editor-in- chief Suthichai Yoon set the ball rolling by urging his followers on Twitter to tweet their childhood pictures for a composite front page to mark Children's Day, on January 9 this year. That allowed audience participation with the newspaper. Later, The Nation invited followers of its fan pages to send their pictures, with love to the public, for Valentine's Day, February 14.

Tulsathit said the social media also allowed reporters to communicate directly with their readers via Twitter or Facebook, and readers were able to comment on the news, or on issues like the newspaper's layout.

Moreover, Twitter and Facebook were also able to promote the newspaper's brand. More than 1,000 readers a day now access The Nation's daily news content in the social media. The newspaper is also developing a "social-media page", creating content from readers and audiences by transforming traditional-media content into that from the modern media.

"I believe that new media, such as the social media, will provide two-way communications between readers and [the traditional] media, which will be able to react accordingly. Social media encourage readers to participate [in happening events], enabling them to generate content from sources in order to contribute news and reaction in real time. Therefore, it is the most important channel between [the traditional] media and readers," Tulsathit said.

The social media also allow general participation in news and current affairs by providing a channel through which network members can become sources of real-time factual information, opinion, or reaction.

Tulsathit said the new media would "adopt" those traditional-media organisations that were ready to use modern technology to provide news and information and encourage two-way communication and multi-tasking.

Meanwhile, Nation Information Edutainment president Kesery Srifuengfung said her company was planning to create a section for cartoon lovers in the social media. As a first step, it is launching an e-book called "The REAL Comics on Mobile: 'Toonmobi'", which will allow smart-phone users to download four comics including Buzzer Beater, Joe The SeaCret, the Apaimanee Saga and Meet No 13, free of charge before May 24 at wap.toonmobi.com.

She said the company planned to introduce about 40 cartoon stories in packages or episodes in the second half of this year.

"We will offer around 40 comics to cartoon lovers with mobile devices via the website. They will be able to enjoy the cartoons anywhere, anytime and by the end of this year, will be able to pay for them over the Internet," Kesery said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Related links:

Thaivisa Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/georgebkk

Thaivisa Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farang

Modern social media is the one thing I don't like about the progression of the internet into daily lives. I've been on the internet since 1990, (ah, the days of Gopher, Archie, and command line access), and the origin of many of the types of social networking today came from Usenet. Usenet was a great way to communicate with other people who had similar interests as you, and it was as anonymous as you wanted it to be.

Unlike some (former?) posters on here like Sean Moran, I think that privacy on the internet is of utmost importance. You are creating a somewhat permanent record of your thoughts and opinions. If they are tied directly to you, companies and governments can use this information against you for the rest of your life. You may say "I have nothing to hide", but if you make a comment in the heat of anger, under the influence of something, or even out of the enthusiasm of youth, (remember some of the things you said as a teenager?), these things could be used to decide whether you are given a job, a visa, or even cause you to be "watched" at any time after, (the only google search connection to my real name is from an anti-RIAA petition I signed in 1993).

A less sinister, but still exploitative part of this, is the buying and selling of your personal information, along with your interests, hobbies, and everything else about you that you post on the net.

To this end, I always suggest setting up accounts based on information that cannot be directly tied to you, (Gmail accounts can be made with any personal information you want, you don't have to use your real info), which can then be used to create accounts on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter. Don't use your regular email account, as it will then be connected to your daily emailing, and therefore your personal info. Never use your real name for sites like Facebook, if you want to connect with old friends, look for them manually on Facebook, (NEVER give Facebook your email password!!!), and send them a note along with the friend invite that tells them who you are. Don't post pictures of yourself on your account, or allow other to "tag" you on theirs. This might seem harsh, but makes it more difficult for larger groups to find out who you are.

You don't have journalistic or diplomatic security, (unless you are a journalist or diplomat), so you have no support once you have lost your privacy. Over the past decade, many of our personal liberties and freedoms have been damaged in the name of security. It's up to you to defend your privacy, no one else will do it.

I don't have anything to hide, but I still think that my basic personal privacy is a right that I should have as a human being. You can say I'm paranoid, but I think there has been enough proof that many larger groups have plans to re-structure the internet so that there is no privacy, and this is an example of it. If they start to require some form of digital proof of who you are, (such as, when Facebook asks for your mobile number to confirm your identity), they are forcing you to give up your privacy.

Thankfully, forums like Thaivisa don't require you confirm your real-world identity, but there are other places that are completely anonymous. For world news, (not all of it is serious anymore, which is a pity), try reddit. For a forum where you don't have to make an account to post, try 4chan. For image hosting without creating an account, try imgur. Enjoy your freedom!

Woo great tools for Thai girls to find multiple farang BF :)

Careful, the Ministry of Freedom to do read and talk about what you like (as long as we deem it ok)on the internet will be after you.

You're correct on that statement.

There was a statement issued on UDD Thailand's Facebook account this morning. It appears that many members may be violating LM laws. They announced that members immediately leave groups that support what we cannot discuss. Noticed that many posts disappeared this morning as well.

Meridian007 made some excellent points as well regarding making comments which can haunt you later. Not sure how this will fan out, but if it is true, some people may begin regretting what they wrote. Can't feel sorry for them, as they are well aware of what the consequences are for that.

Modern social media is the one thing I don't like about the progression of the internet into daily lives. I've been on the internet since 1990, (ah, the days of Gopher, Archie, and command line access), and the origin of many of the types of social networking today came from Usenet. Usenet was a great way to communicate with other people who had similar interests as you, and it was as anonymous as you wanted it to be.

Unlike some (former?) posters on here like Sean Moran, I think that privacy on the internet is of utmost importance. You are creating a somewhat permanent record of your thoughts and opinions. If they are tied directly to you, companies and governments can use this information against you for the rest of your life. You may say "I have nothing to hide", but if you make a comment in the heat of anger, under the influence of something, or even out of the enthusiasm of youth, (remember some of the things you said as a teenager?), these things could be used to decide whether you are given a job, a visa, or even cause you to be "watched" at any time after, (the only google search connection to my real name is from an anti-RIAA petition I signed in 1993).

A less sinister, but still exploitative part of this, is the buying and selling of your personal information, along with your interests, hobbies, and everything else about you that you post on the net.

To this end, I always suggest setting up accounts based on information that cannot be directly tied to you, (Gmail accounts can be made with any personal information you want, you don't have to use your real info), which can then be used to create accounts on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter. Don't use your regular email account, as it will then be connected to your daily emailing, and therefore your personal info. Never use your real name for sites like Facebook, if you want to connect with old friends, look for them manually on Facebook, (NEVER give Facebook your email password!!!), and send them a note along with the friend invite that tells them who you are. Don't post pictures of yourself on your account, or allow other to "tag" you on theirs. This might seem harsh, but makes it more difficult for larger groups to find out who you are.

You don't have journalistic or diplomatic security, (unless you are a journalist or diplomat), so you have no support once you have lost your privacy. Over the past decade, many of our personal liberties and freedoms have been damaged in the name of security. It's up to you to defend your privacy, no one else will do it.

I don't have anything to hide, but I still think that my basic personal privacy is a right that I should have as a human being. You can say I'm paranoid, but I think there has been enough proof that many larger groups have plans to re-structure the internet so that there is no privacy, and this is an example of it. If they start to require some form of digital proof of who you are, (such as, when Facebook asks for your mobile number to confirm your identity), they are forcing you to give up your privacy.

Thankfully, forums like Thaivisa don't require you confirm your real-world identity, but there are other places that are completely anonymous. For world news, (not all of it is serious anymore, which is a pity), try reddit. For a forum where you don't have to make an account to post, try 4chan. For image hosting without creating an account, try imgur. Enjoy your freedom!

Truer words were never written.Many members here should pray kun Thaksin never returns to power :) Edited by BLUEEYEDTHAI

agree with your concerns. but in that case your advice for users of facebook should be ignore Facebook. And even: don't use Google at all, especially Gmail. As for myself, that's to much paranoia but I am a big fan of complot theories!

^ I agree with you, Google used to abide by their "do no evil" stricture in the front hall of their head office, but I'm not so sure anymore. That is why I suggested creating a fake gmail account only for things like Facebook. They might cull data about your interests and opinions, but they can't, (hopefully), trace it to you personally.

To all the others, thanks! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who is paranoid about losing my privacy! :):D :D

agree with your concerns. but in that case your advice for users of facebook should be ignore Facebook. And even: don't use Google at all, especially Gmail. As for myself, that's to much paranoia but I am a big fan of complot theories!

Got frightened by meridien and thought, ok, i,m beginning with this site to protect my privacy better. Tried numerous times to change my 'personal picture' and avatar. But the old ones are popping up all of the time and even after hours the new ones don't appear! Since I love complot thinking: probably synchronising TV with ..... (who knows!) .... takes a lot of time. Obviously deleting my account will not protect me either. Oi, oi, oi

Sorry, I don't want to scare anyone! I wouldn't be too worried about what we write on here, even if Thaksin got back into power, I doubt this forum would be a focus of his concerns. I'm more worried about the corporations and governments of the West. That's one of the reasons I like living here, the "nanny state" mentality is in its infancy here, even if some of our other freedoms are restricted.

I just want people to think about what they are doing with their personal info. Better safe than sorry! :)

Wow, I thought I was the only one out there that found the social networking phenomenon to be dangerous and brainless waters.

People have wholeheartedly abandoned the concept of privacy. I really don't get why people find it important to babble on with shallow chatter and mindless games and quizzes. But what truly baffles me is that these people have no problem knowing their every mindless comment is broadcast to hundreds or thousands of friends and probably strangers on the friends list.

What the heck is wrong with sending an email? I know grown up men who do all their communicating through Facebook. Pathetic. Great place to meet narcissists, and clingy insecure under achievers.

Anyways, I despise Facebook :) and seriously regret ever making an account. I only check it once every couple of months but I still get daily requests and people pointing me out in pictures, and sending me stupid pointless gifts. I guess I should delete my account.

No way you will ever see me anywhere near Twitter though, that is surely for twits and is well named. I learned my lesson with Facebook.

I am also trying to train myself not to use Google, but it is so automatic to me.

Woo great tools for Thai girls to find multiple farang BF :)

Careful, the Ministry of Freedom to do read and talk about what you like (as long as we deem it ok)on the internet will be after you.

You're correct on that statement.

There was a statement issued on UDD Thailand's Facebook account this morning. It appears that many members may be violating LM laws. They announced that members immediately leave groups that support what we cannot discuss. Noticed that many posts disappeared this morning as well.

Meridian007 made some excellent points as well regarding making comments which can haunt you later. Not sure how this will fan out, but if it is true, some people may begin regretting what they wrote. Can't feel sorry for them, as they are well aware of what the consequences are for that.

facebook is a US company so sod the LM laws in thailand they dont count unless you want to be the next china

You tell that to the Thai authorities and the Thai users on Facebook. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who these people are, and yes they can be arrested and charged with LM if they live in Thailand, as many of them do.

Got frightened by meridien and thought, ok, i,m beginning with this site to protect my privacy better. Tried numerous times to change my 'personal picture' and avatar. But the old ones are popping up all of the time and even after hours the new ones don't appear! Since I love complot thinking: probably synchronising TV with ..... (who knows!) .... takes a lot of time. Obviously deleting my account will not protect me either. Oi, oi, oi

You cant delete your account, there is no option for this. Why can't you change your picture. Have you tried to hit f5 key yet? it refreshs your catche. goto forum support if you need help.

1990 on the internet.... certainly not as we know it, Pass another Chang.. or Acorn

Wow, I thought I was the only one out there that found the social networking phenomenon to be dangerous and brainless waters.

People have wholeheartedly abandoned the concept of privacy. I really don't get why people find it important to babble on with shallow chatter and mindless games and quizzes. But what truly baffles me is that these people have no problem knowing their every mindless comment is broadcast to hundreds or thousands of friends and probably strangers on the friends list.

What the heck is wrong with sending an email? I know grown up men who do all their communicating through Facebook. Pathetic. Great place to meet narcissists, and clingy insecure under achievers.

Anyways, I despise Facebook :) and seriously regret ever making an account. I only check it once every couple of months but I still get daily requests and people pointing me out in pictures, and sending me stupid pointless gifts. I guess I should delete my account.

No way you will ever see me anywhere near Twitter though, that is surely for twits and is well named. I learned my lesson with Facebook.

I am also trying to train myself not to use Google, but it is so automatic to me.

"Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

This Facebook issue is old hat but apparently topical. If you want all the details then by all means go here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

You should probably look at venture capitalists Accel, NVCA, and especially In-Q-Tel. And you should take a look at Jim Breyer, Anita Jones, and Harold Cox. For those that want the condensed version, peruse the diagram below and...

...Accel has helped entrepreneurs build over 300 category-defining companies including: Admob, Brightcove, ComScore, Etsy, Facebook, Foundry, Gameforge, Glam, Macromedia, Omneon, MetroPCS, Riverbed, RealNetworks, Trulia, Veritas, etc

...The third board member of Facebook is Jim Breyer. He is a partner in the venture capital firm Accel Partners. On the board of such US giants as Wal-Mart and Marvel Entertainment, he is also a former chairman of the National Venture Capital Association (NVCA) - A partnership with department of defence.

Facebook's most recent round of funding was led by a company called Greylock Venture Capital, who put in the sum of $27.5m.

One of Greylock's senior partners is called Howard Cox, another former chairman of the NVCA, who is also on the board of In-Q-Tel.

What's In-Q-Tel? Well, believe it or not (and check out their website), this is the venture-capital wing of the CIA.

Another key figure in the In-Q-Tel team is Anita K Jones, former director of defence research and engineering for the US department of defence, and - with Breyer - board member of BBN Technologies.

l1763.jpg

Re: CIA startups

Yes, that's why I refuse to join facebook, twatter or any other social networking site.

(Even though every ****ing person who joins that has my email address and ticks the 'invite my contact-book' thus adding my details to the matrix!)

Just imagine the fun Hitler could have had with a Jewish social networking website mid 1930's.

(An for you non-pc literate folk, one doesn't have to go through by eye, - thats what databases are for...)

It's a perfect tool for the spooks. Not only are you posting as certain time, they can grab where you posted, what you posted, who read your posts, who your 'friends' are, just a wonderful thing for the power hungry government(s) of the world!

It doesn't just stop there,

Google is officially in bed with the NSA, unsuprisingly.

Microsoft - sure.

Banks - they are all connected up now, databases offshore in India, Isreal etc...

Passport systems

Triangulation on mobile phone signals

Christ, the loyalty card system even shows what you buy at the supermarket!

All this data is available to those in the loop, and also to those who care to hack into the loop...

Which is all fine... If you live a country/world that is run by sane people.

Its when we get leaders without scruples, then they have everybody by the balls.

I haven't seen much in the last decade to convince me the world and its leaders (governemental and corporate partnerships) are getting any saner...

Now if i could just get a look at Intellipedia!

Any bets how long before that is hacked, and posted online?

Edited by whiterussian

Re: CIA startups

Yes, that's why I refuse to join facebook, twatter or any other social networking site.

(Even though every ****ing person who joins that has my email address and ticks the 'invite my contact-book' thus adding my details to the matrix!)

Just imagine the fun Hitler could have had with a Jewish social networking website mid 1930's.

(An for you non-pc literate folk, one doesn't have to go through by eye, - thats what databases are for...)

It's a perfect tool for the spooks. Not only are you posting as certain time, they can grab where you posted, what you posted, who read your posts, who your 'friends' are, just a wonderful thing for the power hungry government(s) of the world!

It doesn't just stop there,

Google is officially in bed with the NSA, unsuprisingly.

Microsoft - sure.

Banks - they are all connected up now, databases offshore in India, Isreal etc...

Passport systems

Triangulation on mobile phone signals

Christ, the loyalty card system even shows what you buy at the supermarket!

All this data is available to those in the loop, and also to those who care to hack into the loop...

Which is all fine... If you live a country/world that is run by sane people.

Its when we get leaders without scruples, then they have everybody by the balls.

I haven't seen much in the last decade to convince me the world and its leaders (governemental and corporate partnerships) are getting any saner...

Now if i could just get a look at Intellipedia!

Any bets how long before that is hacked, and posted online?

All true, but don't let it keep you up at night. Unless you're a young man.

Young enough to be worried about ever bringing up kids in the UK!

Just noticed something on the intellipedia wiki article:

Intellipedia is an online system for collaborative data sharing used by the United States Intelligence Community (IC). It was established as a pilot project in late 2005 and formally announced in April 2006 [1][2] and consists of three wikis running on JWICS, SIPRNet, and Intelink-U. The highest level of classification allowed for information on the three wikis are Top Secret, Secret, and Sensitive But Unclassified/FOUO information, respectively. They are used by individuals with appropriate clearances from the 16 agencies of the IC and other national-security related organizations, including Combatant Commands and other federal departments. The wikis are not open to the public

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellipedia

Technical support

Google was contracted by the government to provide computer servers to support Intellipedia. Google also provides the software to search Intellipedia, which ranks results based on user created tags.[12]

Edited by whiterussian

Young enough to be worried about ever bringing up kids in the UK!

Just noticed something on the intellipedia wiki article:

Intellipedia is an online system for collaborative data sharing used by the United States Intelligence Community (IC). It was established as a pilot project in late 2005 and formally announced in April 2006 [1][2] and consists of three wikis running on JWICS, SIPRNet, and Intelink-U. The highest level of classification allowed for information on the three wikis are Top Secret, Secret, and Sensitive But Unclassified/FOUO information, respectively. They are used by individuals with appropriate clearances from the 16 agencies of the IC and other national-security related organizations, including Combatant Commands and other federal departments. The wikis are not open to the public

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellipedia

Technical support

Google was contracted by the government to provide computer servers to support Intellipedia. Google also provides the software to search Intellipedia, which ranks results based on user created tags.[12]

Well, keep you ear thimbles plugged in. Don't worry, its not your sould they want, its your money.

post-25601-1270227043_thumb.jpg

Google is potentially going to pull out of China. Social media only has bounds with the freedom that a central government allows and with the amount of personal information that one is willing to give up that can be used "against" you in the future.

I recently opened up a facebook account and the website automatically tried to create friends for me with people with whom I had not been in contact for years and years. The amount of information capture taking place in google and social networking sites is truly mind-boggling if not downright scary.

Google is potentially going to pull out of China. Social media only has bounds with the freedom that a central government allows and with the amount of personal information that one is willing to give up that can be used "against" you in the future.

I recently opened up a facebook account and the website automatically tried to create friends for me with people with whom I had not been in contact for years and years. The amount of information capture taking place in google and social networking sites is truly mind-boggling if not downright scary.

And answer me this, how come all those people we went to high school and college with look so much older than we do?

And answer me this, how come all those people we went to high school and college with look so much older than we do?

Whaddya mean we Kemo Sabe? If looking our age went on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd be about a -5. :)

Got frightened by meridian and thought, ok, i,m beginning with this site to protect my privacy better. Tried numerous times to change my 'personal picture' and avatar. But the old ones are popping up all of the time and even after hours the new ones don't appear! Since I love complot thinking: probably synchronising TV with ..... (who knows!) .... takes a lot of time. Obviously deleting my account will not protect me either. Oi, oi, oi

After a good night sleep and recurring internal server errors(?) everything seems ok. I guess all my data are stored

now where they need to be. Am too old and too insignificant to really worry.