?! Shipping ?!

sidzz

Hi,

If anyone can help me out with this I'll be totally grateful.

Basically theres two things i need help with.

1) I am going to ship some chairs, tables, plates ( stuff to start a thai restaurant) to the UK. I've contacted a couple of shipping agencies but half of them said i need a company to export. some of the furniture sellers at chatuchak market said they could ship but quoted astronomical prices. I need to know how to ship, which is the best way to ship, whether its best to do the paperwork myself, and if so how. what the names of some good companies are. And anything else about taxes on certain goods etc.

2) if anyone knows any good sources, i'm looking to buy about 50 wicker chairs (stackable),tables.table clothes, mats, loads of plates, glasses, decorations, curry pastes etc.

Wel thats about it!!

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Sid

Syd,

the information you received is correct, you need to export under a Thai company's name who can provide Customs ID-card and arrange for export customs clearing. You need as well somebody to arrange for packing as nobody will accept pre-packed merchandise without knowing the contents.

If what you buy includes material like silk, it's getting difficult as you need a quota for export. Do not incl. any religous artifacts like Buddha-statues etc.

Generally, all your suppliers should agree to deliver within Bangkok to a packing station, the rest can be done, but it is not cheap, let's say reasonable for professional packing and shipping.

I do not want to use this board for business but give me a PM with your details and we can contact you.

Sidzz,

Also please bear in mind if it is shipped into the UK once it arrives you need

to collect it from the port or have it delivered, The two main ports for cargo from the Far East is Felixstowe or Southampton, Of late there has been the obvious export/production boom in China volumes have rocketed and been impacted by the pre christmas rush., Due to the influx of containers both ports are heavily congested at the moment so there isn't enough hauliers to cover the deliveries.

Make sure you plan ahead, If the cargo is shipped you will need at least 1 month just to allow for the shipping of the goods, then you need Customs clearance/paperwork, collection delivery etcetera all in all it's lengthy process so make sure time is on your side. :o

-Axel, ten days ago I was looking at some information about Thai silk and I asked three different people. Quote from an e-mail: "Any items made of thai silk is free of quota". The department of foreign trade, Ministry of Commerce, confirmed this information: no quota on 100% Thai silk; I even asked about a shirt or dress made of Thai silk: no quota...

-Sidzz, did you check at the library of the Department of Export Promotion in BKK? You'll find many catalogues with pictures (ex: The Thai furniture industries association) and you'll be able to learn about your import duties in the EU Tariffs files, etc...

Small factory: If you drive on Petchaburi road on your way to Srinakarind road, take the flyover (going over the intersection where Sukhumvit 71 starts) and you'll be on Phathanakarn road.

Continue straight on Phathanakarn; stay on the right lane to take the underground U-turn.

Turn on Phathanakarn Soi 30. The open-air factory is at 200 yards on your left. Some good looking furniture (wicker, rattan, water hyacinths).

First send a Thai friend with a picture of what you want to get a rough estimate in order to avoid farang prices... (I don't know if they speak English). Let us know what you get...

Before ordering in a small factory, be sure you know who is going to export for you and do all the paperwork; it seems that manufacturers/exporters of this kind of furniture (using rattan) need extra paperwork from the government.

I also saw some nice products on one of my catalogues; they are manufacturers:

Kowsupamonkol Export Co., Ltd.

32/14 Moo 5, Romklao Rd., Minburi, BKK 10510

Tel: 02 543 8150-4

REXPORT WAREHOUSE CO., LTD.

632 MOO 3, SOI THANPOOYING,TEPARAK RD., THEARARAK, MUANG, SAMUTPRAKARN 10270

Tel: 02 394-6451, 758-2326-7

-Axel, ten days ago no quota on 100% Thai silk; I even asked about a shirt or dress made of Thai silk: no quota...

-rabkk. I think your information can send sidzz into the right direction to find what he needs

If material is 100% Thai-silk, you are correct, no quota required. For other material and/or mixtures different rules apply. Rattan ware is no problem, for wooden ware we do need resp. cetificates by the original suppliers.

As for export we usually do offer to pick up around Bangkok area, pack it, ship it

up to UK, all on fixed prices per cbm. Our UK-partners can assist for customs clearance and delivery. Our point here is to arrange for everything as most shops do not want to touch export documentation. We combine from as many shops as there are into one shipment under one set of documents incl. cert. of origin etc. etc.