African Street Scammers In Thailand

JohnnyJohn

What I can't seem to work out is why the Thai immigration department has a high level, or shall we say tolerance, for letting in a large volume of North African male criminals at the moment.

Personally, I have nothing against these people as a race or about them coming to Thailand for work or tourism, but what I do have a big problem with is all of their criminal activities here. Very few of them have jobs or business here in Thailand, are here for tourism, or do anything to add to the local economy except spending a bit of money on cheap apartments, alcohol, and food. The bulk of what they are involved with here are criminal activities. Drugs, credit card fraud, fake check scams, identity theft (for transferring money through banks), internet scams (many of them are operating out of internet cafes around the Sukhumvit Soi 3 area in the Muslim quarter), and the biggest, most visible illegal activity they do in Bangkok is street scamming by praying on unsuspecting Westerners (both tourist and expats).

If you look at the ethnic makeup of inmates in the jails in Thailand the first largest ethnic group is Thais, but the second largest group is made up of a mix of Nigerians and Ghanaians. If you talk about the ethnicity of the people in the immigration jails who have overstayed visas, they are 70%-80% male Africans.

A friend of mine (who happened to be African American himself) got scammed by some of these street scamming Africans around the Sukhumvit area as early as about 6-7 years ago on a black money scam/black dollar scam (Google it!). He lost somewhere between US$10,000 and US$20,000 and this scamming modality is one of their most popular and successful Nigerian street scams worldwide. So what they are doing here to people is not new, but it is growing in rapid numbers.

In neighboring countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Burma, Laos, etc it is very difficult for them to get in and set up their crime networks in general there because of more stringent visa regulations on Africans in general. In Malaysia and China they seem to be able to get in and established pretty easily as well. They work in groups and gangs and most of these guys coming here are dirt poor, but their air tickets and cheap accommodations are often financed by the heads of their small scamming/criminal networks. They also use the young African guys they bring in as mules to move drugs around Asia mixed in with clothes, shoes, and other cheap export items they buy here once they get them over here from Africa. In China they are big on finding local mules to setup bank accounts for them so they can move money around more easily and avoid the higher cost of using Western Union and Money Gram, which also limits their transfers to $10,000 per transaction.

The other night I was standing outside of Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5 and watched two African guys in their mid thirties start up conversation with an unsuspecting middle aged Western man who was walking by minding his own business. Within minutes I could hear the Africans inviting him for coffee to discuss some "business opportunity". I couldn't stand to listen to anymore of this so I walked away. When I am in that area, I get approached by no less than 5 African men trying to start up similar type conversation with me. And it is not just a night time activity. They do it in bars, coffee shops, the sky train and wherever they can find foreigners who are relaxed, unsuspecting, and willing to chat.

They are not only praying on Western's, but young Thai women as well. They are very persistent and aggressive and often find a Thai woman to take them in for a while and feed them with the promise that they are waiting for a big money transfer from overseas on some work they are doing. Of course the money never comes because there isn't any to begin with and, once the Thai girl gets tired of it all, then the African males moves onto the next victim. They have even been known to scam more affluent Thai girls via dating sites into paying their airfares to come over to Thailand from Africa with the promise of a lot of money in return when they arrive here.

It is a terrible development for Thailand and just getting worse by the day. Crime is on the rise as a result of all the influx of these male Africans and both foreigners and locals alike are the victims. There is a simple solution to stopping it at an immigration level though as many of the surrounding countries have done. Why Thailand, a more developed and better capitalized country, doesn't take a harder line on these people I just don't know. As always, it comes down to money in this country, but at some point I think people here have to stop being so short sited and open their eyes a bit wider to how big the problem has already become and how quickly it could completely spiral out of control.

Edited by JohnnyJohn

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Video tape them and post it on youtube .Get their faces clearly .Government seems to take notice when it goes public .

The good news? is that apparently the Foodland and associated premises are on the bulldozing block in the coming weeks / and months so will be looking for a new home I imagine.

The only reason these street scams work is the greed of the guy getting scammed. The guys friend who lost 10-20,000 dollars did so only because he thought he was going to make 90-100,000 dollars. Personally I have no time for someone so stupid or greedy. :)

As soon as anyone like this approaches me I take INSTANT and DIRECT action which has always resulted in them moving away from me quickly. These types of scams are being carried out world wide......you really need to be on your toes these days, I feel for the elderly and other vunerable groups. :)

As soon as anyone like this approaches me I take INSTANT and DIRECT action which has always resulted in them moving away from me quickly. These types of scams are being carried out world wide......you really need to be on your toes these days, I feel for the elderly and other vunerable groups. :)

I take INSTANT and DIRECT action which has always resulted in them moving away

Do you show them your avatar ? :D

THIS THREAD REALLY should be closed.

bashing african mails is against tv policy!

Absolutely right.

The OP is definitely a racist and a bigot.

Of course there are African scammers and criminals operating in Thailand, but please first take a look at the activities of our own people, the Farangs.

How many are operating bars, massage parlours, restaurants and other businesses illegally? How many are dealing or using drugs here? How many own real estate, own land, farms and shops here illegally?

Than there are your visa dodgers, property scammers, pedos, the list goes on and on.

If the Thai authorities would consider having a real clampdown on these criminals, than please let that include all the scum rather than those of a particular nationality or race.

Edited by BigWheelMan

^I don't think he was specifically saying that ALL Africans are scammers, a bit like putting all farangs into one group really.

I think he was just trying to point out a specific problem in a certain area and of course, one seriously cannot deny there is a problem.

Very few of them have jobs or business here in Thailand, are here for tourism, or do anything to add to the local economy except spending a bit of money on cheap apartments, alcohol, and food. The bulk of what they are involved with here are criminal activities.

I'm sure you have done exhaustive research on this topic to be able to provide us with this wisdom. Undercover investigative journalism? Well done. Did you have to use shoe polish to fool them into believing you are 'one of them'?

I thought that the OP's observations were well observed.

The fact that he pointed out, and identified a certain ethnic group does not make him a racist at all.

The problem these days, is you are immediately labelled a racist whenever you make such a point.

Perhaps I am anti-muslim then, when I point people at the Saudi Arabian judiciary who have sentenced a Lebanese man to death for sorcery!

often find a Thai woman to take them in for a while and feed them

Surely there are enough to go around for everyone - only problem is once they go black they wont go back. :D

Speak for yourself!

I have never had a problem,so i have been told. :) they keep coming again again and again...

I truly resent all the racist comments that are evolving within this post, particularly the petty people accusing myself of being racist when they know absolutely nothing about me. I could even be of African decent myself.

What I posted is purely factual information for everyone's awarness and in hopes that it might bring about a change or even prevent someone else from getting ripped off. Where else have you read such pointed, factual information about this situation in Thailand?

As one poster said, we can't deny there is a serious problem and I am simply bringing it to light and helping to educate some people about it who might not be aware. FULL STOP.

often find a Thai woman to take them in for a while and feed them

Surely there are enough to go around for everyone - only problem is once they go black they wont go back. :D

Speak for yourself!

I have never had a problem,so i have been told. :) they keep coming again again and again...

I'm trying, but I cant service all of them. :D

this place is so much fun.

theres very little factual information in op posts. nothing but generic stuff.

come on now. a well skooled person could tell you not a brother :):D:D , by the way u presented yourself.

i still dont see the problem.i dont even see white skin men and wimmin frequentin the area , let alone asians.

Edited by popeye33

I thought that the OP's observations were well observed.

The fact that he pointed out, and identified a certain ethnic group does not make him a racist at all.

The problem these days, is you are immediately labelled a racist whenever you make such a point.

Perhaps I am anti-muslim then, when I point people at the Saudi Arabian judiciary who have sentenced a Lebanese man to death for sorcery!

The problem with the OP is not that he highlighted something he perceives as being a problem, the problem is that he slings tired cliches and presents them as fact:

Very few of them have jobs or business here in Thailand, are here for tourism, or do anything to add to the local economy except spending a bit of money on cheap apartments, alcohol, and food. The bulk of what they are involved with here are criminal activities.
I truly resent all the racist comments that are evolving within this post, particularly the petty people accusing myself of being racist when they know absolutely nothing about me. I could even be of African decent myself.

What I posted is purely factual information for everyone's awarness and in hopes that it might bring about a change or even prevent someone else from getting ripped off. Where else have you read such pointed, factual information about this situation in Thailand?

As one poster said, we can't deny there is a serious problem and I am simply bringing it to light and helping to educate some people about it who might not be aware. FULL STOP.

You're trying to educate based on facts? :) How well educated are you?

come on now. a well skooled person could tell you not a brother :D:D:D , by the way u presented yourself.

i still dont see the problem.i dont even see white skin men and wimmin frequentin the area , let alone asians.

Popeye you are a troll just trying to wind people up playing the racist card...like many of your posts i see...TELL ME your last sentence above serves what purpose?? NO WHITE skin MEN,NO ASIANS and NO WIMMIN..........So WHO does go there??

Everyone whatever colour or nationality they are knows that there is a problem with African men and women on certain sois off sukhumvit,you must be walking round with your eyes closed or as i stated are on a wind up :)

The sooner the Thai powers that be sort it out the better for everybody in downtown BKK....bah bah! :D

come on now. a well skooled person could tell you not a brother :D:D:D , by the way u presented yourself.

Popeye you are a troll just trying to wind people up playing the racist card...like many of your posts i see...TELL ME your last sentence above serves what purpose?? NO WHITE skin MEN,NO ASIANS and NO WIMMIN..........So WHO does go there??

Everyone whatever colour or nationality they are knows that there is a problem with African men and women on certain sois off sukhumvit,you must be walking round with your eyes closed or as i stated are on a wind up :)

The sooner the Thai powers that be sort it out the better for everybody in downtown BKK....bah bah! :D

Your last sentence sums it up.

It may not be in the best interests of the powers you mention to sort it out, someone somewhere knows whats going on, and I would hazard a guess are doing quite well out of it.

The whole area is a shithole best avoided, race, colour, creed or religion has nothing to do with it, scammers, pan handlers, chancers, and others of that ilk have been operating with impunity in the area for years, to the detriment of the legitimate business owners in the area.

The simple cure would be to set more stringent visa regulations on certain African visitors. Nothing to do with racism. Just the simple fact that a larger % of the visitors from these countries (Nigeria, Ghana etc) are involved in criminal activities than the % of say European visitors.. No different to the way that Singapore used to scrutinise young Thai and Filipino women when they attempted to enter Singapore.. If it appeared they had no means of support or no good reason to visit they were denied entry as a suspected prostitute/smuggler/etc. Should be the same for suspicious African visitors travelling Worldwide.. If they don't have a valid reason to visit and don't have a legitimate job/income they should be prevented from leaving Africa.

Again nothing racist I have the same feelings toward anyone of whatever race or colour who try to decieve people to scam money or run illegal drug, scam,smuggling businesses.. The Eastern Euro mafias, the Yakuza and countless other underworld gangs are all just as bad... In the end they all cost everyday innocent people a lot of money and heartache.

A little bit more on African scams in general.

The street scams the Africans are carrying out in Thailand are based on the original Advance Fee Fraud scams developed in Nigeria. Here is some basic information copied directly from the FBI web site on Advance Fee Schemes:

"An advance fee scheme occurs when the victim pays money to someone in anticipation of receiving something of greater value, such as a loan, contract, investment, or gift, and then receives little or nothing in return.

The variety of advance fee schemes is limited only by the imagination of the con artists who offer them. They may involve the sale of products or services, the offering of investments, lottery winnings, "found money," or many other "opportunities." Clever con artists will offer to find financing arrangements for their clients who pay a "finder's fee" in advance. They require their clients to sign contracts in which they agree to pay the fee when they are introduced to the financing source. Victims often learn that they are ineligible for financing only after they have paid the "finder" according to the contract. Such agreements may be legal unless it can be shown that the "finder" never had the intention or the ability to provide financing for the victims.

Without elaborating too much on the various types of scams they are attempting to pull on people in Thailand, as the scamming formats they are using will vary widely based upon the experience and techniques learned by the actual scammer himself, they are all at least some form of fraud based upon collecting and advance fee from the victim. To put it in a wider perspective, the losses worldwide each year to these types of scams are talked about on the 419 Coalition Web Site and the following is a direct quote:

"A Five Billion US$ (as of 1996, much more now) worldwide Scam which has run since the early 1980's under Successive Governments of Nigeria. It is also referred to as "Advance Fee Fraud", "419 Fraud" (Four-One-Nine) after a formerly relevant section of the Criminal Code of Nigeria, and "The Nigerian Connection" (mostly in Europe). However, it is usually called plain old "419" even by the Nigerians themselves. 419 is defined as a sub-classification of Advance Fee Fraud in which the criminals have a West African (primarily Nigerian) connection. There are of course Advance Fee Fraud criminals of many nationalities, operating in many nations, but only Advance Fee Fraud crime with a West African (primarily Nigerian) connection is classified as 419. 419ers operate globally and there are 419er cells in many nations, but Nigeria tends to be the "home office" of most 419ers regardless of the physical location of an individual cell. 419 crime is multinational and transnational. In recent years the massive use of e-mail and the internet to perpetrate 419 crime has also made it virtually omnipresent."

There was a hit song in Nigeria 5 years ago called "I Go Chop Your Dollars". It is a song about their advance fee fraud scamming and if you Google the lyrics you will see they are singing about "Oyinbo I go chop your dollar, I go take your money disappear" & "Oyinbo people greedy" amongst other things. Oyinbo is Pidgin English for white man. You can also watch the music video on You Tube.

Edited by JohnnyJohn

Does anyone else change their gait when walking towards said gentleman of darker complexion

It can't be helped.... you start swinging your arms and dropping your shoulders ready for action.... :)

dam_n wish i could dance like 'em instead of me dad :D

Full English translation of the Nigerian hit song "I Go Chop Your Dollars", the African Scammer mantra:

I am suffering greatly

and I get this idea (or wise)

poverty is not good at all

and I decide to join this business (scam)

419 is not a criminal act but a game

Everybody will play

but if you are fool

I will chop your money

Chorus:

I own the National Airport

I built the National Stadium

The president is my sister's brother

You are the fool and I am the master

White man, I will eat your dollar

I will take your money and disappear

419 is just a game, you are the loser and I am the winner

I own the refinery

I will give you the contract

But you will have to pay me a small fee before I bring them

You are the fool, I am the master

I am the master!!!!

When whites scam

it is said that it is a new style

But when the country man does the same

White people shout: bring them, kill them, die!

White people are greedy, I say they are greedy

I have seen through them deeply (or very well)

So, when they fall into my trap

I will show them fire