Did You Know That 95% Of All Harleys Ever Sold Are Still On The Road? .........the Other 5% Made It Home!

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

You mean beside the road, don'tcha? :D

A mate has a Hardly, he said every time he goes for a ride, he has to get his wife to follow him in a truck,

to pick up the parts that fall off. :D

Have you ever noticed that Hardly riders, never return a wave on the open road?

They say they need both hands to control the bike in a straight line!

More bad Harley jokes / rumours, please... :)

I am NOT a brand loyal guy and love all bikes Japanese, Italian, American and even English. Last bike I had in LOS was a Harley (2005 Sporty 1200). Built it myself from parts. Started after about 3 seconds on the button first time and about half second anytime after that and never gave me a single problem in 3 months of riding daily, then sold it for a profit. That is why I am working on the next one right now.

I was reminded of my own hypocrisy in regards to my prejudice against choppers today when a Honda CB1000 went tear assing by with a beautiful sound you could hear three blocks away. If that were a Harley, I would have been thinking, "Unnecessary, annoying, 'look at me' behavior." lol

When I had my BMW 100 KS I subscribed to a BMW owners' Magazine. Once in awhile BMW owners would write to the editor about how Harleys had improved dramatically in the past couple of years and that they were even better than BMW's. A lot of Harley owners own old bikes that were built years before "such improvements were being made in the production process."And I think it's due to all those "old classics" that are still on the road that Harley still suffers some degree of a bad reputation for oil leaks and parts falling off. Fact is Harley was on the verge of bankrupcy twenty years ago. Now it's the bike to have in the U.S. Harley came into new ownership and it's prospects skyrocketed. Although image and great marketing played a big factor at turning Harley around I don't think it got to where it is now by building a sloppy product. As for power, I think the largest Harley v twins produce all of around 60 horsepower don't they, when you stack that up against a much lighter BMW sportbike producing around 175 horsepower or its Japanese equivalents that's pretty anemic. But who needs all that horsepower anyway. And there's something to be said about a machine that has good torque characteristics.

Now, don't get me wrong, a Harley is not my cup of tea. For one thing I'm not partial to all that chrome and I can think of better things to do with my spare time than to have to spend it polishing it. Another thing, I don't like the cruiser style of riding position and find it to be much more suitable for people with much fatter asses than mine. I like small vehicles that are light and handle well (which is why I liked the Krabi CBR 150 R rental so much) and a Harley is simply too heavy to be in the same contest for agility. But let's give the devil its due. In the face of unstoppable competition from the Japanese Harley emerged from out of the ashes on top and if it had a bad machine it would never have achieved that.

Edited by jackcorbett

Reminds me about Land rovers.

When asked if they were reliable and lasted well the manager said they didn't know yet, only been making them since 1945.

(I know it is not a motor bike but I like the story ........................)

You mean beside the road, don'tcha? :D

A mate has a Hardly, he said every time he goes for a ride, he has to get his wife to follow him in a truck,

to pick up the parts that fall off. :D

Have you ever noticed that Hardly riders, never return a wave on the open road?

They say they need both hands to control the bike in a straight line!

More bad Harley jokes / rumours, please... :)

Have been to numerous bike weeks over the last few years and touch wood never needed a pick-up to get home. Riding with a group,not gang nobody else either. You just don't know what your talking about. If you don't like HD's fine,but why so insecure riding your whatever.

Harley riders aren't noted for their sense of humour! :D

Can't you guys ever laugh at yourselves!

I know I could, if I rode a LEMON....... :)

Here's one for ya.

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed

to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really

twisting sections of mountain road with no straight sections to

speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that

say "MAX SPEED 50 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those

big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where

handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could

catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and

cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him

was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the

mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly

got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd

manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but

when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His

horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me

more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever

until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an

instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of

his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before

the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I

stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the

canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see

him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles

before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I

was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the

tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more

than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was

not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had

preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled

so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh

cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

(Unknown author)

Edited by GungaDin

Interesting....

yesterday on the way from Takuapa to Phuket, me and another 2 sport bike riders came behind Harley convoy. My mates on Honda Africa Twin and Blackbird waved while overtaking them and no response back. Mind you, harley convoy was at snail pace.

During our trip, while waiting at some intersections for green light, folks were giving us thumbs up and waving.....of course, we waived back.

Harleys get appreciation from viewers while parked or exhibited. On open roads nothing gets more admiration from other motorists as fast zooming liter superbikes, even harley riders know it. :)

Harleys get appreciation from viewers while parked or exhibited. On open roads nothing gets more admiration from other motorists as fast zooming liter superbikes, even harley riders know it. :)

Wow, you are riding your bike for getting admiration from others????

I have a HD and I simply like it, and I really don't care what others think about it. <deleted>....

My problem with Harleys is not the bikes themselves, although they are not to my taste, it's the risk you take of having the bike turning you into some kind of posing adolescent ***hole...

I know it's hard to believe that a bike can do this, but from what I see of (some) Harley riders pulling up so close to bars as to be almost riding it inside the building, and then giving a last blip or two of the throttle before turning it off (just in case somebody had failed to notice them) it's hard to draw any other conclusion. There really is a strong Harley - ***hole correlation! Oh, and did I mention the giant badges on the backs of jackets declaring affiliation to some biker club... Oh, really.... grow up!

Anyway, just a personal opinion (and I think that of most people...). Do these overgrown kids know that everyone else is sniggering and laughing at them? Are they oblivious or just thick skinned? :)

Harley riders aren't noted for their sense of humour! :D

Can't you guys ever laugh at yourselves!

I know I could, if I rode a LEMON....... :)

Here's one for ya.

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed

to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really

twisting sections of mountain road with no straight sections to

speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that

say "MAX SPEED 50 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those

big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where

handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could

catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and

cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him

was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the

mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly

got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd

manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but

when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His

horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me

more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever

until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an

instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of

his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before

the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I

stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the

canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see

him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles

before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I

was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the

tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more

than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was

not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had

preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled

so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh

cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

(Unknown author)

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Ahhh beauty, another Harley ripping thread..... :) . You've got to realise that Harley riders will defend their rides to no end, afterall they've mostly forked out huge sums of money to buy that half tonne of shiney steel and leather. Apparently when you buy one you get 50,000 baht worth of technology and 1.5mil baht worth of reputation for every new ride purchased :D .

Ahhh beauty, another Harley ripping thread..... :) . You've got to realise that Harley riders will defend their rides to no end, afterall they've mostly forked out huge sums of money to buy that half tonne of shiney steel and leather. Apparently when you buy one you get 50,000 baht worth of technology and 1.5mil baht worth of reputation for every new ride purchased :D .

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ahh trashing Harley's again are we :D

Well I post the link to the most traveled bike again:http://horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/ which is pretty much self explanatory, interesting reading.

I know a HD rider here in Patts who used to ride a BMW K100 back in Germany, he now rides a HD Electra Glide and absolutely loves it, he found the K100 boring to ride, too perfect.

Different people different bikes. :)

Well I post the link to the most traveled bike again:http://horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/ which is pretty much self explanatory, interesting reading.

I know a HD rider here in Patts who used to ride a BMW K100 back in Germany, he now rides a HD Electra Glide and absolutely loves it, he found the K100 boring to ride, too perfect.

Is he a maschochist? thrill-seeker? suicidal perhaps?

Is he a maschochist? thrill-seeker? suicidal perhaps?

Who are you talking about, Peter Forwood or the German?? I only know the German and he is neither, well maybe a thrill-seeker as he often travel around whole Thailand on his Harley :D

I put 8000 miles minimum on my 1200 Shovel Harley over a six week period every year in Scotland. The bike is 35 years old I bought it new! I put 46,500 miles on a Road King Harley in one year travelling every State in America. Only needed tyres and oil changes. Tried all types and loved many but none gave me what my Harleys do...

Why start a thread to slam any brand of motorcycle?

I can tell you my personal observation:

Most of the guys that ride and love Harleys have ridden many many Japanese bikes but prefer the Harleys.

Most of the guys that bash them have never owned a single Harley but they seem adamant in their opinion.

There are a lot of Harley riders who I really don't care for, thank you for helping me to realize that the guys who ONLY ride Japanese bikes can be just as shallow and close minded.

For me I love to ride motorcycles and different bikes are fun for different reasons, how boring would the hobbie be if everybody rode the exact make and model you ride?