Thai Protesters Target Bangkok's Tourist Centre

webfact

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things going very well, nice peaceful protests.

The media seems in alarmist mode, but you have to expect that given its Yellow bias due to its owners.

The reds have taken control of a few fire engines, promising not to damage them but to not allow them to be used against protesters.

Some morons are now saying they are damaging state property and to call the troops in..... :)

Some people are so emotionally involved in this "I hate Thaksin" game that they have lost their senses. The Reds are about returning Democracy, get over it.

Thaksin is a small part of the Reds as he was ousted by an coup and found guilty to charges laid by a coup appointed committee by a coup appointed judiciiary.

The Reds are bigger that Mr T. this is now about democracy and the return, finally, of the power to the people to have free elections to vote for their government, not the government the elite have put into place by using the courts and behind the scenes manipulation.

The Malls plead the red shirts to leave.

The TRA estimates that more than 1,000 retail shops at malls in the area were forced to close over the past three days. About 5,000 employees who are paid by the day have also suffered.

Now, that is somehow interesting how the elite bypasses the law and probably employ in a rotating manner their staff in order to avoid more payments and security for their staff. This is a very serious issue. Fortunately I never go shopping around there and never will.

They're lucky that they're getting paid by the day. Have you ever seen all those "trainees" who are working for weeks and months without even getting paid? In Europe or the US, you have to pay a minimum wage even to trainees. Not in Thailand. My wife was working part-time as a trainee in one of the top hotels in Bangkok while she was at university. She had to pay for her ride to the hotel, she had to paid for lunch and she wasn't being paid a single satang.

Of course, there's the promise that you will later get a job at this or that location, but the truth is that they will simply take the next trainees and therefor have free workers forever.

That is an insult to the poor and shows a lack of understanding. Working as a trainee for job experience while studying for a degree is one thing. Most people in Thailand dont get the opportunity to study for a degree and many rely on daily minimum wage which they are currently losing. These peopel will never ever have the opportunity to get a job anywhere near as well paid as a university graduate who oh myu god had to do 6 months or a year as a low or unpaid trainee before entering the middle class and all the nice things that go with it. Sometimes it actually helps to mix with and talk to the poor who dont have any of the opportunites to which your wife was privileged enough to get

You didn't even read what I wrote. Do you think the people working at hotels, serving food, the maids cleaning the rooms, the people taking out the garbage bins, etc. are "middle class"? You're out of touch with reality.

What rubbish. The reds leaders would not know democracy it it bit them. This 'peaceful' demo is an active attempt to intimidate both Bangkokians and the government and they seem to be succeeding as Abisit once again proves he is a weak leader. Its great to try and keep things under control, but right now, they are not, as the RS are doing whatever they want to do.

Edited by Guest

What rubbish. The reds leaders would not know democracy it it bit them. This 'peaceful' demo is an active attempt to intimidate both Bangkokians and the government and they seem to be succeeding as Abisit once again proves he is a weak leader. Its great to try and keep things under control, but right now, they are not, as the RS are doing whatever they want to do.

Democracy is about a government elected by the people.

Not one put in place by a court ruling and behind the scenes manipulation.

The Reds want a new election, they want Democracy back.

What is so difficult to understand ? If you love Thai's and Thailand you would have no issue with a new election now. Simple.

Too many people are too emotionally involved in their "I hate Thaksin" furore to see the bigger picture........ this is about Democracy, pure and simple.

What is so difficult to understand ? If you love Thai's and Thailand you would have no issue with a new election now. Simple.

Too many people are too emotionally involved in their "I hate Thaksin" furore to see the bigger picture........ this is about Democracy, pure and simple.

No, its about Thaksin and your support for him.

Thaksin apologists have nothing else on their mind.

And in addition open season on corrupt election practices.

That is an essential requirement for the Thaksin crew.

Levelhead, i'll respond _one time_, ok?

1) "democracy" is _not_ about elections. "democracy" is a system of governance. in mature democracies it comes with separation of powers + additional checks-n-balances as free press, civil liberty organisations, consumer protection agencies etc. all in all - it's about dialogue & compromise.

2) Abhisit offered new elections - in 9 months. i read your interpretations of recent thai history - & i simply disagree, ok? Abhisit's government is legitimate.

3) your obsession with calling for "immediate house dissolution", imho proves one point: you're clueless about current situation. you're clueless about "democracy". in democracy opposing parties try to woo voters & supposedly work for the greater good. i have not heard any policy proposals from UDD or PT. PT's parliamentary performance has been characterized by mere obstructionism.

4) there's a mob in the streets. it's breaking laws & defying authority of governmet. please stop comparing this to PAD/airport etc; it was different governement, etc. if there's no rule of law, it's called anarchy: bullying by warring mafia-clans - exactly the UDD-profile.

thanks for your time.

btw, someone who compares Burmese situation to Thailand... wow, "ignorance is bliss", as they say, right?

Could it not also be type "Too many people are too emotionally involved in their "I LOVE Thaksin" furore to see the bigger picture........"

Levelhead, are you kidding me? What world do you live in?

Imagine if the same situation happens in USA, what do you think would happen the protesters?

Seriously, taking control of governemnt owned vehicles? You support that kind of act?

The Constitution protect protests as long as it does not violate the rights of other individuals; therefore, these acts by reds are deemed illegal.

1) "democracy" is _not_ about elections. "democracy" is a system of governance. in mature democracies it comes with separation of powers + additional checks-n-balances as free press, civil liberty organisations, consumer protection agencies etc. all in all - it's about dialogue & compromise.

2) Abhisit offered new elections - in 9 months. i read your interpretations of recent thai history - & i simply disagree, ok? Abhisit's government is legitimate.

3) your obsession with calling for "immediate house dissolution", imho proves one point: you're clueless about current situation. you're clueless about "democracy". in democracy opposing parties try to woo voters & supposedly work for the greater good. i have not heard any policy proposals from UDD or PT. PT's parliamentary performance has been characterized by mere obstructionism.

4) there's a mob in the streets. it's breaking laws & defying authority of governmet. please stop comparing this to PAD/airport etc; it was different governement, etc. if there's no rule of law, it's called anarchy: bullying by warring mafia-clans - exactly the UDD-profile.

thanks for your time.

btw, someone who compares Burmese situation to Thailand... wow, "ignorance is bliss", as they say, right?

Burma - Military took over. Military Coup. Military appointed the judiciary. Military appoited all sorts of committee's to investigate and arrest people they do not like.

Thailand - Military took over. Military Coup. Military made changes to the judiciary. Military appointed ASC to investigate the man they kicked out.

Whats not different ? Seems to be lots of "similarities".

thanks for your time.

Burma - Military took over. Military Coup. Military appointed the judiciary. Military appoited all sorts of committee's to investigate and arrest people they do not like.

Thailand - Military took over. Military Coup. Military made changes to the judiciary. Military appointed ASC to investigate the man they kicked out.

Thaksin - took over conned the judiciary into believing he made an "honest mistake"

Thaksin- almost took over the miltary, like the police and the judiciay and, and and

Thaksin - what's different ???

Get a grip of youself man - but perhaps that's what you're doing and why you're writing such lies and drivel

Levelhead, are you kidding me? What world do you live in?

Imagine if the same situation happens in USA, what do you think would happen the protesters?

Seriously, taking control of governemnt owned vehicles? You support that kind of act?

The Constitution protect protests as long as it does not violate the rights of other individuals; therefore, these acts by reds are deemed illegal.

The 1997 Consitution prevented any coups and held all those that try to hold a coup as in violation of the treason law.

There was a coup.

How did they get around it ? By ripping up the constitution of the people of Thailand, changing the laws and making themselves "immune" from the law.

Wonder why people here do not have issues with actual abuse of power like that ???????

So "double standards" should be applied all round, some time ago the peoples constitution was not ok, but now the new one should apply ?

Really, the law needs to be applied, but across the board.

Reset button needs to be pressed.

Its a mess, a total mess, because some people used guns to hold a coup and take over power and change the law.

Thats why its a mess !

Another "fake red" brought in to discredit the movement with insane rants? The only explanation. :) You forgot to call Thaksin the Suu Kyi of Thailand to complete the laughs.

You didn't even read what I wrote. Do you think the people working at hotels, serving food, the maids cleaning the rooms, the people taking out the garbage bins, etc. are "middle class"? You're out of touch with reality.

This is what they would like to believe. It just shows how low a farmer's perceived position in society actually is.

Another "fake red" brought in to discredit the movement with insane rants? The only explanation. :D You forgot to call Thaksin the Suu Kyi of Thailand to complete the laughs.

:):D:D

Levelhead

Abhisit already offered reelection in 9 month. Shouldn't the Reds be happy, go home, and celebrate victory?

Btw, Abhisit was rightfully elected by MPs who were elected by the people. It's called representative democracy.

Ok fine, the current gov may not be perfect. I am more concerned what the direction that the Red is heading. Can you really justify their actions right now? I say they should just call it a day and go back home. Come back later when they know what they really want instead of running around like a headless chicken causing everyone problem.

The media seems in alarmist mode, but you have to expect that given its Yellow bias due to its owners.

The reds have taken control of a few fire engines, promising not to damage them but to not allow them to be used against protesters.

Some morons are now saying they are damaging state property and to call the troops in..... :)

Some people are so emotionally involved in this "I hate Thaksin" game that they have lost their senses. The Reds are about returning Democracy, get over it.

Thaksin is a small part of the Reds as he was ousted by an coup and found guilty to charges laid by a coup appointed committee by a coup appointed judiciiary.

The Reds are bigger that Mr T. this is now about democracy and the return, finally, of the power to the people to have free elections to vote for their government, not the government the elite have put into place by using the courts and behind the scenes manipulation.

The protests are not about democracy. They are about Thaksin. They are only about Thaksin.

Another "fake red" brought in to discredit the movement with insane rants? The only explanation. :D You forgot to call Thaksin the Suu Kyi of Thailand to complete the laughs.

:):D:D

What I think is sad is that most here "avoid" mention of the law when it comes to the coup, what the coup leaders did and them changing the law and granting themselves immunity.

Some here seem to think its ok to accuse Thaksin of wanting to be a dictator (for which there is no proof at all) and accuse him of wanting immunity (again with no proof) BUT THEN ignore people who did change the law and did grant themselves immunity.

There is not one shred of proof behind the claims of "dictator" or "immunity for Thaksin" other than allegations by the Yellow shirts, no proof at all, and yet where there is real proof of law changes and immunity, the so called "lets have rule of law" posters ignore it.

Strange ?????? Very IMO.

The protests are not about democracy. They are about Thaksin. They are only about Thaksin.

Sorry but that is totally wrong. Thaksin is a small part of this, as he too feels he has been done in by the coup leaders and what they did.

This is larger than him, as has been reported in the free press that is not biased.

Even posters on here have confirmed by talking with reds at the protest area that this is not all about Thaksin, its about the return of Democracy.

Why will Yellow shirts not accept this ? Its because people will rally behind the cause of Democracy.

So the Yellow's keep trying to say its all about Thaksin to try to weaken the Reds.

But, if you wish to beleive its all about him, thats your choice, but its not. Please go speak to the Reds at the protest area, many are there for Democracy, yes some are there for their support of Thaksin, but many others are not.

thanks for your time.

dude, i lived in myanmar. i've friends there.

your latest statements are insults to _both_ the people of myanmar, as well as the people of thailand.

but, it seems, reality really doesn't matter to you. neither does critical analysis. you just indulge your opinions. actually, i'm frightened - that a human mind can create conceptual structures due to inclinations, without any care for verification/falisification.

Sorry but that is totally wrong. Thaksin is a small part of this, as he too feels he has been done in by the coup leaders and what they did.

This is larger than him, as has been reported in the free press that is not biased.

Even posters on here have confirmed by talking with reds at the protest area that this is not all about Thaksin, its about the return of Democracy.

Why will Yellow shirts not accept this ? Its because people will rally behind the cause of Democracy.

So the Yellow's keep trying to say its all about Thaksin to try to weaken the Reds.

But, if you wish to beleive its all about him, thats your choice, but its not. Please go speak to the Reds at the protest area, many are there for Democracy, yes some are there for their support of Thaksin, but many others are not.

What a laugh.

No dice. Thaksin apologists can whimper all they like but we know the objective.

Not only do you only have as your primary objective the return of Thaksin, but you support his corruption of the body politic.

Red shirts on the outside, but brown shirts underneath.

Thaksin's attack on gays is just a foretaste.

Levelhead

Abhisit already offered reelection in 9 month. Shouldn't the Reds be happy, go home, and celebrate victory?

No, because in 9 months the government will have made enough changes to the structure of the army, the law and the constitution to give them even more power.

Btw, Abhisit was rightfully elected by MPs who were elected by the people. It's called representative democracy.

He was, but only after enough MPs from TRT/PPP/Puea Thai were disqualified and removed from parliament in order for the Democrats to gain the majority.

I have talked to dozens of the REDS shirts and the vast majority of them believe that the end of all this is to bring back their "Dear leader" Khun T you really need to get out more dude.. you have really lost it. Being anti RED or anti Thaksin does NOT make one a yellow shirt or supporter, quite frankly I find you be a very very scary human being