Is Thai Visa Losing Its Credibility

Thongkorn

I know of quite a few of intelligent people that have left the forum because of the abuse when trying to speak truth and reason. I think the trick is to treat this more like a comedy forum because you can't take 95% of the things posted on here seriously. I believe alcohol and bitterness play a large roll in the insanity and abuse that goes on here and a lot of the members are just trying to get you all riled up before they move in for the kill which seems to make them feel important for some reason. In any case I wouldn't worry about it or take any of it seriously either other wise you will wind up being bitter.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of quite a few of intelligent people that have left the forum because of the abuse when trying to speak truth and reason. I think the trick is to treat this more like a comedy forum because you can't take 95% of the things posted on here seriously. I believe alcohol and bitterness play a large roll in the insanity and abuse that goes on here and a lot of the members are just trying to get you all riled up before they move in for the kill which seems to make them feel important for some reason. In any case I wouldn't worry about it or take any of it seriously either other wise you will wind up being bitter.

I agree with approaching the general forum with a well topped up sense of humour tank!!!!....... :)

There is a great array of genuine information sources and more selective posts in alternative forum listings.

I think the deliberate provocateurs are quickly identified, and, usually disappear after a while, due to being ignored by the more alert members

or they seem to drop through an invisible trap door..........now how does that happen???... :D

edit: Spelling

Edited by 473geo

Thaivisa have three categories.

1. The wannabe

Been here as a tourist and wants to move here, always positive posts.

2. The expat

Living here and have a balanced view of the kingdom.

3. The looser

Lived here but lost everything to a BG, always negative posts.

How about the fourth catagory

4. The Thai apologist AKA The Pseudo-thai

Living here and accusing everyone of not understanding/accepting Thai culture

If anything bit too lenient with the political rubbish people are posting these days. However forum maturity leans toward strict control when you have many sponsors to consider.

Particularly if any implied criticism of a certain local rag.

But then in a "democratic" country that shuts down a TV station because they don't agree with the content, not too surprising. (open floodgates) :D

That said still love ประเทศไทย, nowhere else I would rather be. :)

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

How about the fourth catagory

4. The Thai apologist AKA The Pseudo-thai

Living here and accusing everyone of not understanding/accepting Thai culture

That would be the 'expat living here with a totally unbalanced view of the kingdom'

Which would make number 2 a possible minority!!!!...... :)

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

4. The one time loser who is now a winner

Lived here, lost everything to Thai "wife," posted negative stuff, then got back more money than he had, lives a single life now on a sailboat with a dog and no wife, and now post even more negative stuff because he understands the reality of Thailand :)

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

Lived here, lost everything to Thai "wife," posted negative stuff, then got back more money than he had, lives a single life now on a sailboat with a dog and no wife, and now post even more negative stuff because he understands the reality of Thailand :)

Almost as well as the dog!!!! :D

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

Dog never complains...........smiles all the time :D

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

Dog never complains...........smiles all the time :D

No further confirmation required.....the dog has it right.... :D .....is it Thai by any chance?

Mods always have a thankless job.

Well, let's just change that. Thanks Mods (current and former) for your efforts.

As for the OP, I don't think the forum is losing credibility at all. If anything, the credibility has grown by leaps and bounds over the years, because of the depth of information and knowledge held by so many members. It is the de facto source for many aspects of life, language, culture, travel and government in Thailand.

Perhaps what the OP meant to do was make a reference to quality of some posts. To me, that ebbs and flows, but I still find an awful lot of useful information here and would come here first to seek advice with many questions from those far more knowledgeable.

Edited by Spee

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

1. Everyone agrees

2. NOBODY has a balanced view - everyone's perception is affected by their needs, beliefs, experiences etc. etc. etc.

3. I can name at least one poster who lost a lot (although not everything) to a Thai woman but still (mostly) posts positive comments. Not me obviously :D . I can also name somebody else who lost everything to a Thai woman, and killed himself.

Agree with other posters though that the mods are generally v good. I've been banned for a couple of days twice (I think), and deserved it. It must be a nightmare of a job! Not sucking up - just pointing out the reality. When does one draw the line between a comment that is fairly rude, but accurate and one that is too rude, even if still accurate??

p.s. finding a good hamburger is relatively easy. Finding good chips is a different matter..... :)

p.p.s. I first came to TV looking for advice on a personal matter .... ROFL. Bad mistake! I toughened up v quickly and now realise its good for (non-personal) advice, and fun for anything else.

Edited by F1fanatic

1. The wannabe

2. The expat

3. The looser

Lived here, lost everything to Thai "wife," posted negative stuff, then got back more money than he had, lives a single life now on a sailboat with a dog and no wife, and now post even more negative stuff because he understands the reality of Thailand :D

I've got a few problems with number 4. I want to be a number 4 but I dont want a thai wife and even more so I dont want to lose everything to a thai wife (or farang one for that matter). the sailing boat bit has got me excited though :D

also, if i get the sailing boat, can I occassion post positive stuff? Do we need to create a number 5? :)

I generally agree with what you say.

Actually, I believe that the bigger Thaivisa becomes, the less credibility it will have. Simply put, it may become a 'complacent' point of view due to 'familiarity'.