Return Or One Way Ticket?

Hello...

Does anyone know if it's okey to just buy one way ticket from Philippines to Thailand or do I need to buy a return ticket.

I have a sister who is coming here to visit. So, I dont know if she can come for tourist visa with one way ticket only..

Thank you!

The airline are unlikely to allow her on the plane with a one way ticket and a tourist visa. If the Thai immigration authorities refuse her entry then the airline will be forced to pay for the return flight. And they don't like doing that at all.

Good luck to you both. :)

I arrived here last year with a tourist visa and no return ticket.

The guy at the immigration counter said nothing at all.

Stamped my passport and gave it back.

As long as you don't overstay any stamps it's no issue.

You can for instance arrive in BKK with a one way ticket and then travel over land to god knows where and take a return flight home in that place.

Apparently the people on TV don't travel a lot.

What is her nationality? That might make a difference.

It is not immigration that's the problem, it is the airlines. They are afraid if they don't obey the EXACT rules, they will have to deal with you once you get there.

I flew to the PI on a one way and was forced to buy a full fare return by the airlines. PI immigration could care less as I am a US citizen. But Emirates wouldn't budge...took me 3 months to get a refund.

I flew here from the US in December on a one way ticket, but I had a visa. The airline at first questioned my one way ticket, but I showed the visa and they were OK.

My wife flew to meet me in Singapore a few years ago. She only had a Thai passport at that time, but did have a US Green Card. They made her take like 8000 Baht from the ATM before they let her get on the flight. She had a one way ticket.

I regularly fly in on a 1 way ticket. I don't think EVA is aware that I have a 1 way ticket out on Star alliance. Maybe it is because i am originating in North america or EU and I have a good country passport....In 5 years no one has asked. Does it show in the system somewhere?

The immigration requirements for entering Thailand are that the traveller must be in possession of either a valid visa or an air ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival (for 'visa exempt' entry) or the airline may refuse boarding. Holders of a valid visa may travel on a one way ticket.

You do not say what nationality your sister is, but if a Filipina she may face difficulties getting out of the Philippines. Their immigration can be very active at stopping ladies travelling alone without extensive documentation of purpose, and likely that will call for a return ticket.

hello...

i always been coming on a one-way

but i was getting a show-return from my agency

for 15 euro

i was thinking you need a one year visa for 'only' - onewayticket

i been always on touristvisa ( double or triple)

so... now this office is close. and otherwhere they not give me this 'show'-ticket

what i can do ?

i was thinking of virtually book (reserve) a flight from BKK to ? in some office or in net and let give me a print of that.

is this enough (for the checkout-airport) or u have some other idea ??

thanks

:)

Edited by lung

Don't forget, pretty much any airline can check any other airline's reservation and see if it is valid...I routinely travel here via 2 or 3 airlines, some of them are booked separately...and they have always been able to access the reservations for baggage forwarding, etc...sometimes even seat assignments! But that is only if they are a partner airline or do code sharing...

Load an old e-ticket into Microsoft word.

Change the return date.

Print.

...and thats all?

i have some old and it's a other airline.

but then they have some code to check.

not better to reserve a back-ticket ??

the 'show'-ticket was always from same airline but

without code.only the paper.

they ask only on check-in airport not in LOS

thanks

O.K. here's the information again.

IATA (airline) regulations require the airlines to check for a return ticket for those traveling to Thailand without a visa.

If such a passenger arrives in Thailand, and is denied entrance to Thailand by immigration, they will have to be removed from Thailand at the airlines expense. (that doesn't necessarily mean returned to country of origin).

That's the reason airlines check before you board the flight to Thailand.

Now if you do have a visa...the check is not required.

Some countries check more carefully than others. The Phillipines is one. The Phillipine government does not like the idea of geting stuck with the cost of returning a Fillipino citizen home, who is without funds or a ticket and has to leave another country (such as a Fillipina being caught working in Thailand without a work permit).

Using a "fake" ticket, like someone suggested is a violation of the law. Yes, ticket codes are recoded in a computer database. Changing the date on a ticket...using a computer program to print a copy of an old e-ticket with a different date is considered a crime, it is fraud. Yes, you might get away with it...but somewhere that original e-ticket number and the original date is on file in a computer database. As the Thai bargirls say, "Its up to you"

For most countries, and as far as the Thai immigration is concerned you do not need a return ticket. What you do need is a valid ticket out of Thailand. You could therefore purchase a ticket to Malaysia, Cambodia,or Laos...probably the cheapest tickets out of Thailand. That's legal, because you have a ticket out of the country to cover the requirement.

The other choice is to get a tourist visa. Unfortunately, for you Fillipinos, your government wants to see a return ticket before you leave. It's their rules.

Certain other countries have similiar requrements.

If you are a Filippino/Fillippina arriving from the U.S or Europe, and especially if you have a tourist visa, the airlines probably won't bother you. They probably won't even ask you.

So, based on that decide what you think you want to do. Just for the record, I am a U.S. citizen. I often flew in without a visa and no return ticket. I usually bought a one year return ticket in Bangkok after I got here...because it avoided the taxes then that I had to pay in Europe. I was only challenged once in about 10 years of flying...by the then SAS airlines. They made me buy a ticket from Bangkok to Malaysia as my out-of-country ticket. I was able to us that ticket as CREDIT toward another ticket on the same airline from Bangkok to Copenhagen (where I was going anyhow).

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Now if you do have a visa...the check is not required.

r u sure is not only a yearvisa? i come on a single- touristvisa and normaly they want to see something.

the 'show'-ticket was only a reserve-fly and the office

take them out some days later.

i not want to buy a ticket to a other destination.

it's not enough to reserve and tell them i get ticket later via email ??

thanks again

:D

On tourist visas (or any type of visas for that matter), my experience (including the most recent 3 weeks ago) has been never having to show a return, onward, or valid visa from the Philippines to Thailand. In the Philippines, I've never had more than my photo / information page looked at (i.e. my stamps). Actually, whether my visa is checked upon arrival has seemed to be at the discretion of the immigration officer.

When entering visa-exempt, I always have additional documents if needed but have also never been checked or asked.

Personally, I would absolutely not forge any documents.

Edited by mshoichi