Taking Care Of My Parents

needforspeed

Just been informed that my father is sick (parkinson's), the last few month been not so well for me.

As both my parents are sick i would like to know if there are people who have experience

having one or both parents here and taking care of them.

I always promise myself to take care of them as they did 18 for me and sometimes still do.

Dont want to put them in a old peoples home in a 3 by 2 meter room, would like to get them in Thailand and take care of them.

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks

Just a few things to consider and I'm not sure if i`m right.

- Will their insurance cover them here ? if not be careful it might be real expensive for you.

- Would they be able to adapt to the heat and the language barrier with the thais

- I thought you worked off shore so part of the time they will be with Thais only so better make sure there are some that speak decent english.

Just a few warnings im sure you have thought about it already. I have thought of the same thing but i doubt my dad would ever be able to adapt here. He loves coming out here but he is always happy to go home too. He does not like the heat that much.

- Will their insurance cover them here ? if not be careful it might be real expensive for you.

- Would they be able to adapt to the heat and the language barrier with the thais

- I thought you worked off shore so part of the time they will be with Thais only so better make sure there are some that speak decent english.

Just a few warnings im sure you have thought about it already. I have thought of the same thing but i doubt my dad would ever be able to adapt here. He loves coming out here but he is always happy to go home too. He does not like the heat that much.

Rob,

Will send e mail to insurance company, my parents been here about 20 times they love it here.

But they slowly getter worst so within a year there is a change that they cant help each other any more.

Yes i work offshore but think to get a nurse or 2 (day / night) if needed.

Thanks for your advice mate,

Rob,

Will send e mail to insurance company, my parents been here about 20 times they love it here.

But they slowly getter worst so within a year there is a change that they cant help each other any more.

You will have to realise that living here and visiting here are different things. My parents love comming here and going to the south with me for diving and swimming. But they could not live here because they would miss their country and their friends. I would talk with them about this to make real sure. But i think its admirable what your trying to do.

I am lucky to have a brother still living in Holland else i would worry about them a lot too. Actually i do worry about them and the future as they won't be able to travel so i will have to see them and that means seeing them not too many times a year.

Just one other point of attention is the visa, there are retirement visa's but i believe you need a lot of money to qualify (not real sure but im sure others know it)

Rob,

You will have to realise that living here and visiting here are different things. My parents love comming here and going to the south with me for diving and swimming. But they could not live here because they would miss their country and their friends. I would talk with them about this to make real sure. But i think its admirable what your trying to do.

I am lucky to have a brother still living in Holland else i would worry about them a lot too. Actually i do worry about them and the future as they won't be able to travel so i will have to see them and that means seeing them not too many times a year.

Just one other point of attention is the visa, there are retirement visa's but i believe you need a lot of money to qualify (not real sure but im sure others know it)

Going to see them next month, a visa is only 800 k in a Thai bank account.

Cheers

My sympathies to you. It is great that you want to take care of your parents, but do relaise that relocating is no easy thing to do. Especially when it is to another country, another language, another culture and another climate. You have to consider very carefully if all that will be in there best intrest. Also consider where you are taking them away from, like there friends and social activities.

Another qustion is what will happen to them if something happens to you.

Sorry to here your parents are not in the best of health.I am lucky as my older brother stays with my mum,my dad died last October.

He is married to a thai lady and she looks after my mum very well,as well as working very hard with 2 jobs.

Sorry to here your parents are not in the best of health.I am lucky as my older brother stays with my mum,my dad died last October.

He is married to a thai lady and she looks after my mum very well,as well as working very hard with 2 jobs.

Somtampet,

is this in Thailand??

Somtampet,

is this in Thailand??

No mate,England.That was one of the reasons for me to live in Thailand as my mum and dad had good company and my brother was there if any problems.Its very traumatic when you get a call to say your dad has passed away suddenly,and a feeling of guilt consumed me,as i was going home for a 3 week holiday and was realy looking forward to seeing my dad and chatting about our local football club,Stoke city.Every time he phoned me it was bloody hel_l son we won again lol.

My sympathies to you. It is great that you want to take care of your parents, but do relaise that relocating is no easy thing to do. Especially when it is to another country, another language, another culture and another climate. You have to consider very carefully if all that will be in there best intrest. Also consider where you are taking them away from, like there friends and social activities.

Another qustion is what will happen to them if something happens to you.

Mario2008,

That is the reason i would like to get information on Thia visa, so i can make my plan.

Offcourse discus all details with my parents, i cant go to Europe each time as i have my kids here.

I know if they end up in a elderly home or care center, they cant handle that.

As my brothers and sisters, so to say have there own life and they not intresting to take care of them, and i love to.

Thanks,

Somtampet,

is this in Thailand??

No mate,England.That was one of the reasons for me to live in Thailand as my mum and dad had good company and my brother was there if any problems.Its very traumatic when you get a call to say your dad has passed away suddenly,and a feeling of guilt consumed me,as i was going home for a 3 week holiday and was realy looking forward to seeing my dad and chatting about our local football club,Stoke city.Every time he phoned me it was bloody hel_l son we won again lol.

I am very sorry to hear that mate.

That is one of the reason i go home next month and have a plan ready to discuss with them.

Cheers mate,

Edited by needforspeed

While there have been some prior threads on this topic in TV, esp. in relation to nursing homes and/or live-in nursing help in Thailand. I think this is a topic that we will more and more about in the near future, given the change in demographics.

I am potentially in the same situation myself (and right now discussing this option with my one remaining elderly parent). Both myself and my (Thai) wife are certainly happy to help look after my mum to the best of our abilities. She is currently in a retirement village and putting on a brave face, but very few of the people there are capable of intelligent conversation, the food is mush, the management hopeless, etc etc ... and it's meant to be one of the better places in the region.

We know though that we need to make this decision soon as travel becomes more and more challenging as the clock moves on. I would be interested in hearing from TV members who have actually bought their parents here, and how they coped.

Obviously climate is an issue, though perhaps not so great for those of us from the Northern half of Oz. One option there might be relocation to somewhere like Hua-Hin. This then raises issues about access to good hospitals, etc.

As long as they they have insurance they should be better off here, much cheaper to live here and you can hire a live in maid.

Will send the insurance company a e mail.

Thanks

Need For Speed.

Without trying to be morbid, i would advise that you check with the insurance company if the policy covers repatriation costs of a body (god forbid) back to UK.

A very good friend of mine has just had his father die in Thailand after a lengthy stay in a Thai hospital. Although the hospital bills were covered by the insurance, repatriation of his fathers body was not, and it cost him a hefty amount from his own pocket to send his father home.

As long as they they have insurance they should be better off here, much cheaper to live here and you can hire a live in maid.

Will send the insurance company a e mail.

Thanks

Need For Speed.

Without trying to be morbid, i would advise that you check with the insurance company if the policy covers repatriation costs of a body (god forbid) back to UK.

A very good friend of mine has just had his father die in Thailand after a lengthy stay in a Thai hospital. Although the hospital bills were covered by the insurance, repatriation of his fathers body was not, and it cost him a hefty amount from his own pocket to send his father home.

Cheers,

Good advice will ask the insurance company as well, they goverment should be very happy if taken elderly out of the social benefits.

Thanks

Can't help elsewhere in Thailand, but up here in Chiang Mai there is a wide variety of accom with all facilities on the ground floor, from budget places to pleasant but more expensive rural and semi-rural resorts.

When medical care is needed there is a wide choice.

It is also cooler at this (slightly higher) altitude and humidity is much less than in coastal areas.

Maybe best of all, we have the McKean Rehabilitation Centre only a few kms from the city centre. Located on a vast island in the River Ping (reached by a bridge), this very pleasant, quiet place now has different degrees of residential care depending on need, including full hospice facilities.

There is at least one full time western doctor on duty, English is fairly widely spoken, it is Christian run and the fees are reasonable.

PM me with your own e-mail address if this may be of any relevance to your research.