Us Citizen Going With Tgf To Oz On A Student Visa

My girlfriend, who is Thai, would like to go to Australia to learn English. She plans to apply for a student visa - visa class 570 for overseas students wanting to study English. (Really it is me who wants to go there for an extended stay, and she thinks it's a nice idea)

My question is: is there a city in Australia that she would probably feel comfortable in (being a Thai girl of 28 years of age) that is still a vibrant, cosmopolitan city? Neither one of us looks like we could possible be from Australia, and so I wouldn't want to run into a lot of problems from people tired of other people from other countries.

I'm thinking Sydney, but I know there are probably some other cities there that would be suitable, also. I've never been there myself.

My question is: is there a city in Australia that she would probably feel comfortable in (being a Thai girl of 28 years of age) that is still a vibrant, cosmopolitan city? Neither one of us looks like we could possible be from Australia, and so I wouldn't want to run into a lot of problems from people tired of other people from other countries.

Roughly 1 in 4 Australians (25%) were born somewhere else. That is much higher than the US or UK which have roughly 5% of people born elsewhere.

You will be fine anywhere you go.

Thanks for your response.

I realize that much about the 1-in-4, but neither one of us is caucasian (as I understand most foreign-born persons in Australia come from the UK, New Zealand, South Africa)

Moreso, I'm wondering if she, as an Asian, would probably experience more racism in Sydney than in, say, Melbourne.

Thanks for your response.

I realize that much about the 1-in-4, but neither one of us is caucasian (as I understand most foreign-born persons in Australia come from the UK, New Zealand, South Africa)

Moreso, I'm wondering if she, as an Asian, would probably experience more racism in Sydney than in, say, Melbourne.

Sydney is a very asian city. Lots of students, as well as children of immigrants. Same as Melbourne, Brisbane, and to a lesser extent, Adelaide and Perth. She'll be fine. You are more likely to get a good natured ribbing for being American, than for the colour of your skin. :o

I'm not exactly caucasian either, my mother is Thai and I grew up in Melbourne.

Top sources for migrants last year were:

UK (16.4%)

NZ (12.9)

China (7.9%)

India (7.3)

South Africa (5.2)

Sudan (4.1%)

Philippines (3.7%)

Malaysia (3.3%)

Indonesia (2.3%)

Singapore (2.0%)

Other (34.9%)

Total number of immigrants 111,590.

Thanks for the info.

I suppose I 'deserve' a good ribbing for being an American (a USAer). It'd be fun to take responsibility for the stupidity of the Bush administration.

Too bad I have my Canadien t-shirts all ready, in 4 different colors. Go Canada!

Adelaide has a lot of Asian students,studying at the Universities and other learning institutions, I suspect the cheaper cost of living would be an attraction.

There is a smallish Thai community there as well.

Sydneys the best,for nightlife,beaches,action,but it is pricey.

Lots of thai students in central city,incl karaoke bars etc , and plenty thai food and ingredients available....very important :o

My girlfriend, who is Thai, would like to go to Australia to learn English. She plans to apply for a student visa - visa class 570 for overseas students wanting to study English. (Really it is me who wants to go there for an extended stay, and she thinks it's a nice idea)

I'm thinking Sydney, but I know there are probably some other cities there that would be suitable, also. I've never been there myself.

Ahhh, yes. Thai food and ingredients. Perhaps the most important part of our decision.

Nothing like good home-cooked Thai food in a distant city.

Sydneys the best,for nightlife,beaches,action,but it is pricey.

Lots of thai students in central city,incl karaoke bars etc , and plenty thai food  and ingredients available....very important :o