Loss Of Face At The Airport - Double Standards For Farangs

I was at Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday and saw something quite concerning.

It may have been on the second floor past the Starbucks coffee shop, but there was a Royal Thai Police office area and people are free to walk past and look in as the blinds are not drawn.

I saw a farang male aged mid to late 20s, sitting on a couch facing the public concourse. He was obviously in great distress, not in tears but close to it, and constantly holding his head in his hands. All else present were Thais, one that appeared to be an interpreter, high ranking police officer and two other persons.

It waa apparent that he was in trouble for something, possibly even being interrogated, yet here it was being done in full view of the public! I was in two minds as to whether I should have walked in and asked if i could be of assistance, but he may actually have been in the wrong, and I would have been seen as meddling.

Nonetheless, it must have been highly embarrasing for the young farang as well as very scary. I must have walked back and forth at least three times and he was still there.

one would think that preservation of face would have applied equally to this fellow, but not so. I have no idea what happened to him or if the situation was able to be resolved. If he was in the wrong, I dont envy the poor fellow.

In short, some compassion and common sense whould have been exercised. It clearly wasnt in this instance.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably got caught with a couple of hundred extra cigarettes on him at customs and was just given the bad news that they are going to take every penny of his holiday spending money for the next two weeks away from him in the form of a fine.

"All else present were Thais, one that appeared to be an interpreter, high ranking police officer and two other persons."

He may have been lucky, Sri Lankan Tony may well have been on call . :)

one would think that preservation of face would have applied equally to this fellow

In short, some compassion and common sense should have been exercised.

I for one am shocked by this considering the consideration, professionalism and respect the Thai police are renowned for showing their fellow man. :)

If, figuratively speaking, your world was collapsing, i.e you were caught doing something illegal, you faced jail time or a heavy fine, I doubt if seeing a few total strangers walk by would add much, if anything, to the heartache.

But, nice of you to check on him, three times.

I'm not sure this is double standards... In a similar situation a Thai would have very likely been dealt with the same way.

Discretion seems over rated in Thailand.

Yeah, it would probably be the same. People accused of crimes don't seem to get much privacy here. Think about how often there are postings on TV with links to news articles - the top photo is usually the accused person in the police station. And then there are pictures of the accused person at the crime scene.

Yeah, it would probably be the same. People accused of crimes don't seem to get much privacy here. Think about how often there are postings on TV with links to news articles - the top photo is usually the accused person in the police station. And then there are pictures of the accused person at the crime scene.

Normally with a witness or two and a couple of cops standing in a semi circle facing the camera and pointing at him.

I love it when they do that !

Why you have a negative vieuw on this with no facts at all.

*Maybe forget his passport or wallet in his Hotel or Airplane.

*Maybe after he walked true customs his Thai girlfriend walked away with another Farang.

*Maybe he bought a expensive bottle of whiskey at Duty free and dropped it on the floor, they didnt refund him.

*Maybe he got a bad news call from home.

*Maybe he got robbet by a taxi driver.

*Maybe he needed to go home 10 days early as he was r$#%ped by two ladyboys in soi nana.

The interpreter and police where there just to help him.

The same exact thing happened to me. It was with my ex-girlfriend, two of her friends and two Thai police, all staring me down and extorting money out of me. Me and her were in a big argument on the way to the airport and decided not to take our trip together. To make a long story short I called her a really bad word in Thai that I guess is a crime if used in public (I didn't know that) and she got the police involved (I never touched her, just called her a name).

They brought me into that same exact room, blinds open and all, and all of them together spent an hour convincing me to pay her 60,000 Baht or else go to jail. The head police guy didn't say much the entire time but he kept starting at me and closing and opening handcuffs.

After I eventually paid the money they all told me to leave and they stayed and shut the door, obviously dividing up my money as they had most likely discussed in Thai right in front of me.

I have never been so happy to leave Thailand as I was that night. The whole lot of them should rot in hel_l.

The same exact thing happened to me. It was with my ex-girlfriend, two of her friends and two Thai police, all staring me down and extorting money out of me. Me and her were in a big argument on the way to the airport and decided not to take our trip together. To make a long story short I called her a really bad word in Thai that I guess is a crime if used in public (I didn't know that) and she got the police involved (I never touched her, just called her a name).

They brought me into that same exact room, blinds open and all, and all of them together spent an hour convincing me to pay her 60,000 Baht or else go to jail. The head police guy didn't say much the entire time but he kept starting at me and closing and opening handcuffs.

After I eventually paid the money they all told me to leave and they stayed and shut the door, obviously dividing up my money as they had most likely discussed in Thai right in front of me.

I have never been so happy to leave Thailand as I was that night. The whole lot of them should rot in hel_l.

I wouldn't pay 60 K, thats crazy.

Why you didnt when to the tourist police or call your embassy?

And what your GF did about this?

nah, not double standard they're just doing their job. besides, there's nothing to be afraid of if the farang didn't do something wrong. sometimes i also get checked in some airports like a random check but i just let them open my bags and search me while i'm just smiling at them, nothing to fear coz nothing is wrong.

I wouldn't pay 60 K, thats crazy.

Why you didnt when to the tourist police or call your embassy?

And what your GF did about this?

I did go to the Tourist police. I walked out of the room twice and asked the woman at the Tourist police counter for help. The first time she said I did not have to pay any money and could get on my flight - the second time she said the same thing, came in the room with me and the head guy said something to her and she just looked at me like there was nothing I could do. I asked her if I had to pay and she nodded.

I did not think to call the embassy but as I am American I can't imagine that would help. From what I have heard they don't really give a crap about American's in trouble abroad. They'd likely leave it up to the Thai authorities. If you would rather go to jail (or risk calling their bluff) than pay 60k Baht, good on you I guess. That isn't a great deal of money to me - and my girlfriend new that - so I just paid it to get out of the country. I'd rather pay 60k Baht than spend even one night in a Thai jail.

The first time she said I did not have to pay any money and could get on my flight - the second time she said the same thing, came in the room with me and the head guy said something to her and she just looked at me like there was nothing I could do.

He offered her a cut ?

There is the possibility he was not in trouble legally but something happened to him such as robbed, etc. Taxi driver won't use his meter? :D

Tywais, come on, now you are being really silly, that sort of thing with taxi meters doesnt happen here :)

The first time she said I did not have to pay any money and could get on my flight - the second time she said the same thing, came in the room with me and the head guy said something to her and she just looked at me like there was nothing I could do.

He offered her a cut ?

I did not understand what they said but the feeling I got was that he told her to mind her own business or that she could not tell him what to do.

Earlier in the year, I had reason to be in both the Police station and Immigration office at Swampy. It was a problem with two family members from the UK, one being my elderly mother.

The staff there were extremely polite at all times and treated both visitors with great respect. They were offered food and drinks at regular intervals. Interviews were not carried out in public, but in a room adjoining the front office.

Once the matter was cleared up, they were sent on their way, and wished a pleasant stay.

Why does everyone assume the worst? Maybe the guy just found out that the buffalo wasn't really sick.

Edited by jaiyenyen