Social Security Benefits - Direct Deposit Or Check?

goforit

Just applied and got approved for US Social Security retirement benefits. Now I have to decide whether to have direct payments made to Bangkok Bank or have a monthly check sent to me.

I know the direct payment route is faster but you have to go to the bank each month to sign some paperwork in order to get your funds. I'm also not sure what the bank charges for this.

I read that starting March 1st, you can also receive your check by US priority international mail which should get here within a week or so. Then you could deposit it with whatever bank you wish.

My questions are, is anyone using the direct deposit and if so how much does Bangkok Bank charge? For those receiving a check each month, what does the bank charge and how long does it take to clear the check before you can have access to the funds?

Thanks for you answers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have done it both ways. Having the check mailed, it goes to the embassy in BKK and when they get around to it they forward it. We are in Cha Am and were receiving the checks (my wife and I) anywhere from the 10th to the 20th of the month. Then we had to take them into the bank to deposit them, a major pain in the but as the bank is in Hua Hin and the traffic and the bank were very slow.

A few months bank we arranged with BKK Bank to have the direct deposit. We now get it on the third of the month and have a short drive to deposit it. You can't have an ATM card with the account that the check goes into. So we opened another account and move it into that account so we can take it out with ATM as we need it.

So far BKK Bank has been very efficient when we deposit them and usually no waiting. Very different from the service we received at Ayudhya bank in HH. So we are glad we made the switch.

Hope this helps.

Go the direct deposit path with Bkk Bank. Thats the best path for me....

It has always been in the bank here in my account on the 3rd or 4th of the month.... keep in mind that in the US its like a work day earlier and the put out the payment on the 2nd or 3rd.

Only delay one time as on the Kings birthday weekend and I think this would have been the Bkk Bnk fault as they had a holiday and weekend combined..... came in on the 6th or 7th as I remember.

All you need to do is go to the Bkk Bank, and I take my passbook and a passport copy. I usually have a filled out bank withdrawal slip and another deposit slip to deposit into another account I have at Bkk Bnk. No forms to sign or fill out other than that. They will make a copy of your passport or passport copy each time.... there is no fee involved for this service.

Once you get to the teller it takes maybe 2 - 3 mins and you are finished....

The rate as I note for the transfer is apparently just a few satang per $ less than the the Bkk posted daily rate......

Hope this helps you......as they say ....... smooth as silk...... if you would like further info give me a PM

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I am not from the US, but my pension comes every month, with no problems, to the bank. You need a ATM card for your account. And then nothing more is to do.

When you need money, go to the ATM - nothing more ... :)

The bank will take apr. 300 Bath for every money transfer comes from outside the country

Of course, having your Social Security being direct deposited to Bangkok Bank is the only way to go! Bangkok Bank does not charge any fees and you get a good exchange rate. Also you can set it up so that you receive an SMS message on your phone when the funds are deposited to you account. There is no charge for this service, but you do have to fill out a form at Bangkok Bank to receive it.

If you receive a check you have to pick it up at one of the Embassy locations. It cannot be mailed outside the US. Take then take it to a bank and have it deposited. You also have to wait for the check to clear. Years ago, this could take up to 45 days.

The only drawbacks to direct deposit are that; it can only be direct deposit to a special 'direct deposit' Bangkok Bank account in which an ATM card or on-line banking services cannot be used. You have to withdraw or transfer money from the account in person at any Bangkok Bank branch. A 'supervisor' has to be involved in the transaction so the process takes a little longer. This is done to minimize the change of fraud. The US Government requires this. I have another Bangkok Bank account which has an ATM card. Periodically, I go to a branch and transfer a small amount from the 'Direct Deposit' account to the ATM account.

Setting up the account is a little bit of a hassle, you have to go to both your local branch and to the head office of Bangkok Bank in Bangkok. When I set my account up, I first went to the Foreign Exchange Service section at the Headquarters Office of Bangkok Bank (on Silom road). They gave me a packet of documents, which I took to my local branch of Bangkok Bank for them to open the account. Bangkok Bank took care of all the documentation with the SSA. It took about 2 months before funds arrived via direct deposit.

I have been receiving my SS via direct deposit for over 7 years. I'm very happy with this procedure especially since they offer the SMS notification service! The SMS notification all lets you know the exchange rate that was applied. Prior to last year, it could take up to 6 days for the funds to be processed (depending on Thai Holidays). Now, it seems to take just a couple days for the funds to be processed.

Here are the current instructions from the American Embassy:

Only the Bangkok Bank of Thailand provides Direct Deposit service for persons who receive benefits from the following agencies: Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans Administration (VA), and Civil Service.

1. Open “Direct Deposit” Account at the Bangkok Bank branch nearest your home.

The Bank will assist you in opening a “Direct Deposit Account. We suggest you to clearly tell staff that this account is for receiving pension from SSA, or VA.

2. Sign up Form 1199: Please bring 3 completed forms sf1199 to a Head Quarter of Bangkok Bank. Bank will forward your completed Direct Deposit form (Form 1199 A) to SSA in US. You will be able to access your benefits from the Bangkok Bank branch near your house after your request has been completely processed. This often takes a few months. For more information please contact:

Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited

Foreign Exchange Service Section

Retail Payment Services Department

333 Silom Road, Bkk. 10500

Tel: (02) 230-1322-3

I use DD thru Wells Fargo. Easy.

I did it this way before, I was using WaMu. The ATM transactions fees add up fast! You get charged a fee by the US bank and by the Thai banks. I would notice about $10 was taken for every transaction!

If you live here full time, it's much better to have the funds deposited here. You also get a better exchange rate.

Edited by BB1950

All you need to do is go to the Bkk Bank, and I take my passbook and a passport copy. I usually have a filled out bank withdrawal slip and another deposit slip to deposit into another account I have at Bkk Bnk. No forms to sign or fill out other than that. They will make a copy of your passport or passport copy each time....

I don't know what branch you go to, but copies of passport are not accepted at most branches of any bank. You must go to a branch where the 'supervisor' knows you personally. You need an official original form of ID (Passport, US Passport Card, or Thai Drivers License). Copies are not accepted because they easily can be altered. If you don't have a Thai Drivers License, you can get a US Passport card from the American Embassy for 680 baht. Better than carrying your passport around.

Edited by BB1950

It can be EASY and FREE if you have a US bank account and online access. Make the direct deposit to that account and then transfer funds to your Bangkok Bank account (that has ATM card) using Bangkok Bank of New York SWIFT code or routing/transit number.

It's a domestic transfer and, if you have the right US bank, no charge. Exchange rate is good, 2-3 day availability. Same as if you deposited cash in a CM branch. You don't have to tell Bangkok Bank anything, just do it.

Be aware, though, some US banks are uncooperative swine.

Edited by amexpat

The direct deposit seems to be what is recommended but not sure after reading some of the posts, how easy it is to do.

Do you have to go to Bangkok Bank in Bangkok first or can everything be done at a local Chiang Mai branch and how much paperwork is involved?

I believe I read on the US Consulate site the Bangkok Bank charges a fee of around $15.00 each month. Is this accurate?

I live about 5 KMs south of Tesco on Hang Dong Road, but my current Bangkok Bank account with an ATM card is on Chang Phuak road. Is this where I should open up another account for the direct deposit?

How much do you need to put into the new direct deposit account when you open it?

I do know that as of 1 March, you do have the option of having the check sent directly to your home address by US priority international mail. The direct deposit sounds like a better option depending on what you actually have to do to get it setup and what costs you get hit with monthly at Bangkok Bank to receive it. I know they socked it to me when I opened a couple of foreign currency accounts and transferred some funds so I really would like to know what they charge each month for a direct deposit.

Thanks again for the replies.

Passports, Bangkok, Consulate, trips to the branch, fees.....

<deleted>? Can't you use a US bank as I said in the previous post? Even if they do charge a fee it will be better than the alternatives.

I have both my pension and Social Security checks direct deposited in a US bank in the states. Why? With the situation here changing day by day, who knows what will happen with the banking sector? Will they freeze all accounts, limit withdrawals, or something else? I receive an email every day with my balance and any other account info free of charge. Will the baht rate remain the same or go down the tubes? Better safe than sorry for me although many in this forum will vehemently disagree with me but at least most of my money is protected by US law under FDIC. Do we have that protection here in Thailand? You tell me.

All you need to do is go to the Bkk Bank, and I take my passbook and a passport copy. I usually have a filled out bank withdrawal slip and another deposit slip to deposit into another account I have at Bkk Bnk. No forms to sign or fill out other than that. They will make a copy of your passport or passport copy each time....

I don't know what branch you go to, but copies of passport are not accepted at most branches of any bank. You must go to a branch where the 'supervisor' knows you personally. You need an official original form of ID (Passport, US Passport Card, or Thai Drivers License). Copies are not accepted because they easily can be altered. If you don't have a Thai Drivers License, you can get a US Passport card from the American Embassy for 680 baht. Better than carrying your passport around.

I have used both orig. passport and copies at different times.... but I did not have to go to Bankok to set up anything or fill out forms. It was all handled here with the local branch..... Perhaps it was due to the fact that I had several accounts there for quite a few years, but I did not have to travel to Bkk. ....and yes I agree the fees if any hidden in the forex transfer are equal to nothing...

I strongly recommend this method.....

caveat ..... "so far "

It can be EASY and FREE if you have a US bank account and online access. Make the direct deposit to that account and then transfer funds to your Bangkok Bank account (that has ATM card) using Bangkok Bank of New York SWIFT code or routing/transit number.

It's a domestic transfer and, if you have the right US bank, no charge. Exchange rate is good, 2-3 day availability. Same as if you deposited cash in a CM branch. You don't have to tell Bangkok Bank anything, just do it.

So exactly how do you open this US bank account when you reside in Thailand and no longer have a US address?

So exactly how do you open this US bank account when you reside in Thailand and no longer have a US address?

Is that impossible? I'm not sure. Take a look at USAA for example. I opened an account online but I did have a US address at the time. It may be worth looking into as it sure simplifies everything when you get it set up.

But everyone I know still has an account in their home country.

G'luck.

This is not helpful to OP, but might assist searches in the future: I have inquired here in the US, of Bangkok Bank, if I could expedite by opening an account while here. No. Or at least I must to go to the New York City Branch and carry on from there.

Direct deposit to a US bank account would be somewhat superior.......or at least to one that does free ACH transfers, like USAA:

SS Direct Deposit to Bangkok Bank costs "about $15" (according to the CM Consulate website), meaning, I guess, 500 baht. There is *no* front-end cost on the US side.

However, if your SS check is being direct deposited in your US bank, you can then ACH that amount to your Bangkok Bank account via Bangkok Bank NY. If the amount is $2000 or less, the charge is $5 on the NY end, and 200 baht on the Thai end, for about $11 -- or $4 less than with a Direct Deposit to Thailand. And, if the wife's SS check is also a player (and thus two $15 hits), there are even a few more dollars saved. (Both methods would get the TT exchange rate, so no difference there.)

No biggy on the the dollar difference; and if going ACH, the money will take a few extra days to be available in Thailand. But, once in Thailand, no need to wear out your flip flops by having to go physically to the bank to retrieve the loot. Instead, it's available for instant ATM access -- or if you're like me, available on-line via Internet banking to transfer to employees' account, the utility account, etc.

And if your Bangkok Bank is surrounded by Red Shirts......... :)

But, if you don't have a US bank, Direct Deposit is a close second -- particularly if going to your bank isn't particularly a hassle.

Have your SS check electronically deposited directly to your Bangkok Bank account but go through Bangkok Bank NY.

This would avoid having to physically retrieve your loot. But it would also involve a front-end fee with BB NY. And, it wouldn't pass the sniff test, since you're circumventing the reason for having the special deposit account. However, since it would appear on the Form 1199 as a standard in-country direct deposit via EFT/ACH, it might slip through -- if the words "Bangkok Bank" in the financial institution block didn't draw attention.....

• 5 months later...

I have a Wells Fargo account and I was using my Debit Card to take a cash withdrawal at Siam Commerical Bank. Everything was ok until Wells Fargo decided last April to make these transactions subject to the 3% foreign purchase rate. For every $1000.00 withdrawn, a deduction of $30.00 from my account. Please explain what you mean that you use a Direct Deposit thru Wells Fargo. I have my Social Security and pension directly deposited to Wells Fargo. OK, now what? Direct deposit to whom? Did you transfer money from Wells Fargo to Bangkok Bank without any large fees? Thanks.

If the only two options are DD into BKK bank or having the check sent directly to your home, then the answer is obvious -- BKK, unless you have so much money here in Thailand already that you don't want to accumulate more out of concern for the long-term viability of the Thai economy.

We have two retirement checks -- one's a private pension from a major U.S. company, the other is SS. We have the private pension DD into BKK, via the NY branch. Unlike SS checks, it can go directly the BKK acct. that has ATM access. No trip to the bank to transfer funds. To set this up, we downloaded the forms on-line from the private pension people and then went to our local BKK branch for help in completing the forms. The OP mentioned he's set up his BKK acct at one branch, but was using another for most business. He should inquire at his new favorite branch if that branch can become his "home" branch. We've never had any problems with the private pension funds hitting our accout right at the first of the month. We can access them immediately, the exchange rate is very good and there are no additional fees.

We discovered that the private pension funds adequately cover our monthly living expenses here, so when Hubby started SS, we decided to have that check DD into our U.S. credit union acct. We set up our credit union accounts decades ago when Hubby worked at the company now giving him a pension. He left that company nearly 20 years ago, but we never bothered to close the accounts. When we decided to retire to Thailand, we rediscovered our credit union and consolidated all our U.S. funds there. They issued a Visa credit card with no annual fee and a 1% charge for foreign transactions (most Visa cards charge 3%). Plus, we get cash back each year depending upon the profitability of the credit union. Usually it's almost 1% of the value of our credit card transactions. We use that Visa card here for groceries at Rim Ping and Tops, hospital bills, department stores and internet. Really anything we can charge with a reputable merchant where we feel comfortable that the credit card info is going to be protected (no restaurants or bars, obviously). We just have to make sure they charge us in Thai baht, not U.S. dollars because the credit card company gives a much better exchange rate than the merchants. Hubby's SS check, direct deposited to the U.S. credit union, pays off the monthly Visa card bill with some left over for life insurance, etc, which I can pay using the credit union's E-checking feature.

If the OP isn't currently a member of a U.S. credit union, then perhaps he could piggy back on the elgibility of a relative. I've heard of adult kids setting up credit union accounts for their Thai-based parents.

When we first came here we didn't have all the DD set up and tried to transfer funds using various means. Every method -- wire transfer, depositing a U.S. check into BKK and waiting for it to clear, ATM machine, etc -- was expensive and a hassle. Now we have deposits set up on "auto pilot" with the system of inflow and outflow in balance and no fees for the deposits. Yes, we are accumulating a bit into our BKK acct each month, over and above our living expenses, but I figured we just take a nice little trip to Penang or China once we get an extra 100,000 baht.

Is that impossible? I'm not sure. Take a look at USAA for example. I opened an account online but I did have a US address at the time. It may be worth looking into as it sure simplifies everything when you get it set up.

But everyone I know still has an account in their home country.

G'luck.

I agree... i use USAA, no US address and transfer into Bangkok Bank via the new york office mechanism...

I have followed this issue for the ten years I have been in Thailand and have been receiving SSA benefits and was surprised to learn that the ATM route worked so well. Since costs of getting your money is really the base criteria for evaluating which system works, I was intrigued by the post that said $30 to take out 2k USD in Thailand by ATM from a direct deposit in a US bank. When you consider wire transfer fees are almost that amount or greater at most banks, the viability of ATM withdrawals is a viable option in my view. I balked at going to BKK bank each month and signing the form to withdraw my money from the restricted SSA account there and putting it into my regular account.

Posts that don't mention this step mislead since the difficulty in going to a BKK branch once a month can be quite bothersome for some who live some distance from one of their branches. Perhaps things have changed since I tried that direct deposit method 10 years ago but some posts suggest it hasn't changed.

We have such a wide variety of US expats in Thailand, perhaps what I do might be of interest. The US Treasury has a International Direct Deposit system to many countries around the world and the money is directly deposited into an account in that country without conversion fees or other bank fees in most instances by the central bank of the host country. It is then a simple matter to make the wire transfer to your Thai account at the bank of your choice. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of the direct deposit countries.

Why involve another country rather than the US as a conduit? Three years ago with interest rates diving in the US and with published high interest rates in Australia, I explored a transfer of my capital reserves to that country. It looked attractive at the time as the AUD was very weak against the US dollar and the financial crisis was just beginning, I opted to do it. By doing so, I increased the value of those reserves by more than 40% in the interim. I was able to open my accounts and do all of the transfers online from here and from a brokerage account in the US. A simple call to the SSA office at the Embassy in Manila has allowed movement of my direct deposit on three occasions from one bank in the US to another two banks in Oz in the last three years.

It seemed logical to use the direct deposit of my SSA benefit to a checking account there as well as such accounts earn interest just below 5% on checking accounts and higher on CDs. When I closed my brokerage account, I lost my direct free wire transfer privileges so was faced with $60 wire transfer fees from my US bank. My transfer fee from my Aussie bank is 24AUD regardless of the amount of the transfer. Arrival within a couple of days after direct deposit reaches my account, always on the 3rd of the month. This method also allows picking favorable exchange rate weeks.

Not for everyone I am sure, but an option for those who might want to consider a country that has favorable exchange rates, high interest rates and inexpensive wire transfer privileges and don't have Patriot Act type laws. The Euro is weak against the dollar lately, so many countries in Europe may appear attractive as a conduit. PS I do pay a non-resident 10% tax on my interest income automatically deducted from my account each month.

I have both my pension and Social Security checks direct deposited in a US bank in the states. Why? With the situation here changing day by day, who knows what will happen with the banking sector? Will they freeze all accounts, limit withdrawals, or something else? I receive an email every day with my balance and any other account info free of charge. Will the baht rate remain the same or go down the tubes? Better safe than sorry for me although many in this forum will vehemently disagree with me but at least most of my money is protected by US law under FDIC. Do we have that protection here in Thailand? You tell me.

I am setup the same as you mention, direct deposit to a stateside bank for the same reasons. The only thing is those high transfer costs both from the U,S, bank and here at an ATM machine. Sure it's safer this way but I'm losing so much this way also. When I need to do a transfer of funds from the U.S. to my bank account here I get charged international transfer fees from both ends. I'm thinking seriously of the BKK Bank New York approach, didn't realize that option 'till I read this thread.

I am setup the same as you mention, direct deposit to a stateside bank for the same reasons. The only thing is those high transfer costs both from the U,S, bank and here at an ATM machine. Sure it's safer this way but I'm losing so much this way also. When I need to do a transfer of funds from the U.S. to my bank account here I get charged international transfer fees from both ends. I'm thinking seriously of the BKK Bank New York approach, didn't realize that option 'till I read this thread.

I have a US-based Citibank checking account which I access over the internet to transfer funds to BB here in CM for FREE ($2K daily max). It takes 3 business days to come thru via BBNY office. BB here charges me 3-500 baht per deposit. Money is then accessible via ATM like usual. Citibank has my CM address and sends me correspondence here, no problem. Seems like Citibank is a real winner.

... We have the private pension DD into BKK, via the NY branch. Unlike SS checks, it can go directly the BKK acct. that has ATM access. No trip to the bank to transfer funds. To set this up, we downloaded the forms on-line from the private pension people and then went to our local BKK branch for help in completing the forms. The OP mentioned he's set up his BKK acct at one branch, but was using another for most business. He should inquire at his new favorite branch if that branch can become his "home" branch. We've never had any problems with the private pension funds hitting our accout right at the first of the month. We can access them immediately, the exchange rate is very good and there are no additional fees. ...

NancyL, This sounds like what I need to setup. I'm a retired U.S. citizen living here in CM with my pension going into a U.S. bank. I hate the thought of letting go of the U.S. bank account but would like the pension to go directly into the BKK bank N.Y. instead. The transer fees are murder the way it is. If I understand you right by setting up the direct deposit to the N.Y. branch I should be able to go to an ATM machine (BKK bank) and get money from this account? Should I just setup a diredt deposit directly to a CM branch or better to set it up to the N.Y. branch? Even if there are front end and local bank fees it has to be cheaper than how it is now. Appreciate any help and thanks,

Dan

Edited by ThaiWx

I have followed this issue for the ten years I have been in Thailand and have been receiving SSA benefits and was surprised to learn that the ATM route worked so well. Since costs of getting your money is really the base criteria for evaluating which system works, I was intrigued by the post that said $30 to take out 2k USD in Thailand by ATM from a direct deposit in a US bank. When you consider wire transfer fees are almost that amount or greater at most banks, the viability of ATM withdrawals is a viable option in my view. I balked at going to BKK bank each month and signing the form to withdraw my money from the restricted SSA account there and putting it into my regular account.

Posts that don't mention this step mislead since the difficulty in going to a BKK branch once a month can be quite bothersome for some who live some distance from one of their branches. Perhaps things have changed since I tried that direct deposit method 10 years ago but some posts suggest it hasn't changed.

We have such a wide variety of US expats in Thailand, perhaps what I do might be of interest. The US Treasury has a International Direct Deposit system to many countries around the world and the money is directly deposited into an account in that country without conversion fees or other bank fees in most instances by the central bank of the host country. It is then a simple matter to make the wire transfer to your Thai account at the bank of your choice. Unfortunately, Thailand is not one of the direct deposit countries.

To get Social Security US $2k into my Bangkok Bank account by direct deposit costs about $10. And there is no difficulty finding a branch where it takes about 5 minutes to go in and get the money. No need to be opening accounts in other countries and then doing a wire transfer. Also, since the probability of hyperinflation in the US is looming large none of it is going to make much difference. That US $2k is only going to be getting about 15K baht by the time I put it in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done it both ways. Having the check mailed, it goes to the embassy in BKK and when they get around to it they forward it. We are in Cha Am and were receiving the checks (my wife and I) anywhere from the 10th to the 20th of the month. Then we had to take them into the bank to deposit them, a major pain in the but as the bank is in Hua Hin and the traffic and the bank were very slow.

A few months bank we arranged with BKK Bank to have the direct deposit. We now get it on the third of the month and have a short drive to deposit it. You can't have an ATM card with the account that the check goes into. So we opened another account and move it into that account so we can take it out with ATM as we need it.

So far BKK Bank has been very efficient when we deposit them and usually no waiting. Very different from the service we received at Ayudhya bank in HH. So we are glad we made the switch.

Hope this helps.

I agree - I have been using BKB (Kad Suan Kaew) that way for over two years and it works - after opening there is no charge but leave 200 or so baht in acct. After initial paperwork involved to open it takes only the usual withdrawal slip and passport in hand. (Take cash or redeposit into BKB savings acct.) People there have always been very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. From inception, however, it may up to take two month to complete and get rolling.

I am about to do it and would appreciate hearing if anyone has had an existing direct deposit moved to Bkk Bank New York by the SSA office at the Embassy in Manila. They moved my direct deposit from a US bank to a bank in their jurisdiction, ie. Asia and between banks in Asia all by telephone, but I am wondering if they can move it back to a US bank?

Edited by ProThaiExpat