Exterminators & Fleas

JXXXL

We're having a problem this year and for the first time with fleas. We've had our dogs for about five years and for some reason, this year we are finding fleas on them and on the human members of the household. :)

We called an exterminator today and he said he would spray the house once a month for one year for an up-front fee of 5,000 baht. Now, especially in Thailand, I am very reluctant to pay for any services in advance. I told the guy that I would pay 500 monthly, but nothing in advance. The lowest he would go is 2,500 baht once now and another 2,500 in six months. I know it's not much, but something doesn't feel right about this kind of plan.

So, anyone out there have any experiences to share? Anyone know anything about fleas? Our dogs get the occasional tick, but we've never had a problem with fleas before.

Last year I discovered fleas on my dogs.

Solution is easy; buy a pack of Frontline, sold in many pet supply stores or from your vet.

First shower your dogs. Don`t use any of those anti tick/flea shampoos or powders, they don`t work and they’re poison. Use a baby shampoo then rinse off and dry dog with a towel. Ensure that you wash the towel afterwards.

In the pack of Frontline are 3 small sachets. Open one for each dog.

Make sure the dog is dry and pour the Frontline liquid over the back of the dog’s neck between the shoulders.

That’s it; the fleas will be dead within a couple of hours and stays active for about 6 weeks.

Frontline is not cheap, around 450 baht to 650 baht but is affective and is the only treatment that works.

Also if your dogs have any bedding or clothes that they sleep on, burn the material.

Good luck and hope you manage to eradicate the problem.

Guys,

The Frontline sounds like it works a treat on the dogs, but what about the house and garden. Don't you have to eradicate the fleas from those areas also to solve the problem?

Yep - missed your main point....it's hot. :)