Gardening On The Islands

Regarding those 'useless' small mangoes that we see so much of. Last year i picked up several buckets full. washed them and then put them on the stove and lightly boiled. I then removed all the flesh into a large dish, sprinkled in a little sugar and put into jars and into the fridge . Really nice with a couple of spoons full every morning on my corn flakes

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have not been able to find a decent garden fork on the island. Anybody know where i can get one.

Home Pro Chawang, sometimes has them along with pretty decent spades..... last time I looked was a couple or three months ago.... no hab then!

One needs to check for when new supplies come in.... there you go, go take a boo and let us know! ! wink.png

As for the Grosse Lisse toms, mine finally gave up with the rain.... a week or two ago .... Your area is bad for grasshoppers, almost seems hopeless to do much about them as they seem to appear at night ....

When things dry up I'll try them again and we'll see who eats a hat first! gigglem.gif but having said that your neighbour seems to have some success....blink.png

• 2 months later...

Picture of a Borax box.... there seems to be a problem loading....sometimes! facepalm.gif

it gives the Thai word! after 1973

_MG_3452-6.jpg

I just happened to ask at Gai Pharmacy yesterday, whether she still carries Borax, Soi 4 Maenam, towards the sea from Traffic lights, for those who don't know...

She does, and now has a "non food" grade for want of a better term... it's 300 baht / 450 grams for the agricultural grade... saving 200 baht to help get rid of pesky ants!

(just mix a tablespoon or so with some sugar and a little water...)

(Not the box in the picture!) ^

So no one having gardening problems or questions? ..... it's been almost three months and not a boo from anyone! tongue.pngwhistling.gif

I rarely stumble into here, but we have tomatoes in flower in the back garden at the moment which came as a bit of a surprise smile.png

Seems no one has been stumbling in here much lately! biggrin.png

So, how did these toms suddenly appear? Secret gardener or the birds dropping seed?!!

If you want to try getting them to do something, and now we are getting into warmer weather, you'll need to keep an eye on them and not let them dry out!

Mind you, if they are volunteers they probably won't amount to much.... Old sailor and I have not had too much success these last couple of years, with cultivated varieties .... whereas his neighbour seems to do OK with them.... as does Boyd at the Hydroponic farm on Soi 4..... follow signs for the sheep farm to see! wink.png

Easier to buy toms at the store! whistling.gif

As a lifetime gardener in the UK, and living in the back of beyond in a national park... I developed the 'natural' sryle of gardening... Minimal lawn, wild area, trees and shrubs... Looks very good in context... And is a lazy mans gardening style requiring minimal maintenance.

Now living over half my time on Phangan and building a house... It is my intention to take the same approach.... Look around at what grows well, look at what the thai grow, and having a thai partner who is also keen on gardening and ks an environmental government officer will help enormously!!!

So for me... Banana, palms, papaya, mango, tamarind, cassava, dragon fruit, chilli, some of the flowering shrubs and trees that grow here, close cropped green weeds... But definitely no UK style borders or green swards of lawn... Too old to fight against nature!!! My philosophy is... Go with the flow... Time will tell how it all works out!

As a lifetime gardener in the UK, and living in the back of beyond in a national park... I developed the 'natural' sryle of gardening... Minimal lawn, wild area, trees and shrubs... Looks very good in context... And is a lazy mans gardening style requiring minimal maintenance.

Now living over half my time on Phangan and building a house... It is my intention to take the same approach.... Look around at what grows well, look at what the thai grow, and having a thai partner who is also keen on gardening and ks an environmental government officer will help enormously!!!

So for me... Banana, palms, papaya, mango, tamarind, cassava, dragon fruit, chilli, some of the flowering shrubs and trees that grow here, close cropped green weeds... But definitely no UK style borders or green swards of lawn... Too old to fight against nature!!! My philosophy is... Go with the flow... Time will tell how it all works out!

Good to hear of your endeavors good luck with it all....An English country garden does not quite fit here, anyway!!! Your plan to use the natives and fruits that grow here well ... is a nice idea!thumbsup.gif

The older I get, I am more into the lazy man's gardening techniques.... The old back and body are starting to say no! sad.png

You have a number of good sources for finding plants on KP nurseries etc ... Perhaps go up to Chaloklum and talk to the Monk who has the large display garden... turn at CM Temple and head up a km or so on left (well signed) .... he's got some interesting stuff there... thumbsup.gif (not sure if he's prepared to part with it.... take your wife along.... perhaps a "donation" will help to get something? wink.png

Hahaha... Good tip about the monk in chaloklum.... We bought the land off his wife... Part of the deal was a free selection of bamboo plants.

For anyone wanting bamboo on the islands... His 'nursery' is well worth a visit!!!

Hahaha... Good tip about the monk in chaloklum.... We bought the land off his wife... Part of the deal was a free selection of bamboo plants.

For anyone wanting bamboo on the islands... His 'nursery' is well worth a visit!!!

Small world!

But the last plant I would ever plant is bamboo.... with few exceptions, it's a make work project keeping them in control and the itch it gives many people.... Native or not that's one I would avoid! wink.png

I rarely stumble into here, but we have tomatoes in flower in the back garden at the moment which came as a bit of a surprise smile.png

So, how did these toms suddenly appear? Secret gardener or the birds dropping seed?!!

If you want to try getting them to do something, and now we are getting into warmer weather, you'll need to keep an eye on them and not let them dry out!

Mind you, if they are volunteers they probably won't amount to much.... Old sailor and I have not had too much success these last couple of years, with cultivated varieties .... whereas his neighbour seems to do OK with them.... as does Boyd at the Hydroponic farm on Soi 4..... follow signs for the sheep farm to see! wink.png

A straightforward accident in the back garden; The first half dozen are ripening as I type smile.png

A straightforward accident in the back garden; The first half dozen are ripening as I type smile.png

We'd better not tell oldsailor35....whistling.gifoh that's my second dig at him today!!! tongue.pnglaugh.png

As i was wondering down Ban Por beach this earlier this evening, I came across this magnificent specimen of a Flame tree....one of the nicest I remember seeing...

Next to the Swiss restaurant, I think!

Ban%2BPor%2Bbaech%2BMar%2B15-46.jpg

Ban%2BPor%2Bbaech%2BMar%2B15-41.jpg

• 1 month later...

At the risk of stimulating negative comments - anyone have experience of the way bamboo behaves?

For instance, in a variety that grows to 30 feet, what will the result be of cutting the culms down to, say, 5 or 6 feet?

I realise they will sprout side shoots. But then what will the side shoots do? Keep on growing and growing until they get 30 feet long? Or will the just form a big bush around the node they have sprouted from?

Will they form full size leaves (Judging by the photo, I think so!)?

Anyone know?

R
26341497604_eaf6a8ece8_b.jpg

At the risk of stimulating negative comments - anyone have experience of the way bamboo behaves?

For instance, in a variety that grows to 30 feet, what will the result be of cutting the culms down to, say, 5 or 6 feet?

I realise they will sprout side shoots. But then what will the side shoots do? Keep on growing and growing until they get 30 feet long? Or will the just form a big bush around the node they have sprouted from?

Will they form full size leaves (Judging by the photo, I think so!)?

Anyone know?

R

26341497604_eaf6a8ece8_b.jpg

It'll keep growing Rob, get your chopper out! while they are still easy to cut... and watch out for the bamboo itch! bah.gif

Aha - so does that mean that it will still end up at 30 feet high . . . but the majority of the growth will come from the node just below the cut, as in the photo?

I need them to bush out so that they start to form a screen about 1 metre above the ground . . . right now they're a bit bald on the lower part!

26854589222_42acd1e3d1_b.jpgbambooS by Rob Dewet, on Flickr

Aha - so does that mean that it will still end up at 30 feet high . . . but the majority of the growth will come from the node just below the cut, as in the photo?

I need them to bush out so that they start to form a screen about 1 metre above the ground . . . right now they're a bit bald on the lower part!

Bamboo would not have been my choice, make work project if you ask me, should have asked first! tongue.png You'll be shearing at least once a month~facepalm.gif I would have chosen Hibiscus as makes good hedge and does not need as much care... (a few other shrubs would also do too)

There is one Bamboo, if memory serves it's called Temple Bamboo, and has nobblies up the stem, but does not grow as high or as fast. It's not always easy to find... Maybe Samui plants in Lipa Noi area.just after the PTT gas station. on right side of road.

See if you can take back or exchange... wink.png

Bamboo would not have been my choice, make work project if you ask me, should have asked first! tongue.png You'll be shearing at least once a month~facepalm.gif I would have chosen Hibiscus as makes good hedge and does not need as much care... (a few other shrubs would also do too)

There is one Bamboo, if memory serves it's called Temple Bamboo, and has nobblies up the stem, but does not grow as high or as fast. It's not always easy to find... Maybe Samui plants in Lipa Noi area.just after the PTT gas station. on right side of road.

See if you can take back or exchange... wink.png

No problems - it's the height that I need. The sun is on my bedroom from midday until it fades off at about 6:00pm. I want to shade the bedroom wall and the roof area at this part of the house. At the same time it'll act as a screen - hence wanting it to bush-out at about 3-4 feet up the stem.

Shearing? I'm not limited on space and there's no immediate neighbour. The bushier the better. When it's established itself I'll keep the lower part of the culms clear to show the green streaking - it's why I particularly wanted the golden bamboo.

(I think the knobby bamboo is 'Bhuddas' Belly' - or that's what I've seen it called on YouTube anyway . . .)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at planting some bamboo to make a fence/hedge at a resort to kind of hide some unsightly buildings. Prefer not to have to spend 150 baht per plant. Anyone recommend some other options?

I found this site: http://www.nanagarden.com/search/%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9C%E0%B9%88?page=4

Plenty on there but would require delivery. We have a team of workers who could potentially transplant some if anyone know somewhere on the island who wouldn't mind them being cleared?

Thanks for the input.

Looking at planting some bamboo to make a fence/hedge at a resort to kind of hide some unsightly buildings. Prefer not to have to spend 150 baht per plant. Anyone recommend some other options?

I found this site: http://www.nanagarden.com/search/%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9C%E0%B9%88?page=4

Plenty on there but would require delivery. We have a team of workers who could potentially transplant some if anyone know somewhere on the island who wouldn't mind them being cleared?

Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned in the last post, I am not a fan of Bamboo, it's a make work project as to keep it tidy it needs to be pruned and sheared almost monthly.... the bamboo itch affects some people and the fallen leaves makes it a haven for mosquitoes to keep cool during the day. bah.gif

You perhaps need to say how high this hedge needs to be...

I have had good success with the common red Hibiscus, which if looked after (watered and fertilized) can reach several feet in one year.... with far less maintenance ... from cuttings stuck in the ground. Staggered one to two feet apart ... Hibiscus is usually not hard to find sources of...

Give more detail of eventual height you require! wink.png

Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned in the last post, I am not a fan of Bamboo, it's a make work project as to keep it tidy it needs to be pruned and sheared almost monthly.... the bamboo itch affects some people and the fallen leaves makes it a haven for mosquitoes to keep cool during the day. bah.gif

I have had good success with the common red Hibiscus, which if looked after (watered and fertilized) can reach several feet in one year.... with far less maintenance ... from cuttings stuck in the ground. Staggered one to two feet apart ... Hibiscus is usually not hard to find sources of...

Thanks for your reply, in regards to hibiscus I did see your post and looked up a few examples of the hibiscus and it is not really the style we are looking for. Although I can appreciate the rational behind it 100%, but the bamboo is more the style we are looking for.

Would like at least 2 meters height and I got our thai receptionists to call up some of the companies on the link and found there to be many options far better priced than Samui. 3.5 meter delivered for 110 baht, so 2 meters should be a lot less. Samui had 1-1.5m stick like bamboo (devoid of any foliage) for 150 baht.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks for your reply, in regards to hibiscus I did see your post and looked up a few examples of the hibiscus and it is not really the style we are looking for. Although I can appreciate the rational behind it 100%, but the bamboo is more the style we are looking for.

Would like at least 2 meters height and I got our thai receptionists to call up some of the companies on the link and found there to be many options far better priced than Samui. 3.5 meter delivered for 110 baht, so 2 meters should be a lot less. Samui had 1-1.5m stick like bamboo (devoid of any foliage) for 150 baht.

Well, it comes down to maintenance cost over the years! Trimming bamboo every month or two will add up! Raking leaves too! facepalm.gif

Bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world! As mentioned many workers hate pruning and working with bamboo as many get an very irritating itch .... they call it "Canne" or something like that...

Without seeing pictures it's hard to say what else would fit, obviously you need something that will grow reasonably fast... Some might suggest Thai Jasmine, but that is slow to establish from my experience. How many meters are we looking at to fill in?

If some other plant or even Hibiscus was planted in a way it was not a straight line it might be more natural looking... (staggered) ...

Most popular hedge plants here are 'Cha Hokkien' (Fukien Tea or carmona retusa ) and 'sai gawli" (a kind of ficus), Both can grow to be tight hedges. Cha Hikkien can be used for topiary, a rectangular hedge (with lots of pruning), or just allowed to bush out into round shapes. Sai gawli is more vertical in shape.

Most popular hedge plants here are 'Cha Hokkien' (Fukien Tea or carmona retusa ) and 'sai gawli" (a kind of ficus), Both can grow to be tight hedges. Cha Hikkien can be used for topiary, a rectangular hedge (with lots of pruning), or just allowed to bush out into round shapes. Sai gawli is more vertical in shape.

There could be a number of options, but we don't know the situation, sun, shade etc etc ..

The Lobster plant (Heliconia ) could make a good screen, some get to eight feet or more... fairly easy to maintain... thumbsup.gif

IMG_2068.JPG

Several types, so one needs to watch out as some are shorter growing!

Thanks for the input, see a pic. On both sides of the box. In line with the coconut trees on the right. Want to hide the building behind.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-26%20at%204.34.1

thumbsup.gif

ah this came up while doing other reply! Well obviously full sun situation by the looks of it! The heliconia would be fine....

Tomen%2BGardens%2B7%2BFeb%252C%2B2012%2B

Peacock bush, could do that too, lots of colour most of the year....thumbsup.gif can be trimmed to keep bushy at the bottom, rarely see them more than about 10 feet high..(3 mts) Not always easy to find, Samui Plant Centre past the PTT station in Lipa Noi sometimes has.... nursery on right side maybe 500 metres... )towards Hau Thanon) Small plants established quite quickly with a little TLC ! Thai's seem to know it as the Peacock flower"

IMG_9765.JPG

IMG_9834.JPG

If more comes to mind, I'll post later! Thanks for the picture!

Thanks for the input, see a pic. On both sides of the box. In line with the coconut trees on the right. Want to hide the building behind.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-26%20at%204.34.1

thumbsup.gif

ah this came up while doing other reply! obviously full sun situation by the looks of it! The heliconia would be fine....

IMG_6047.JPG

Peacock bush, could do that too, lots of colour most of the year....thumbsup.gif can be trimmed to keep bushy at the bottom, rarely see them more than about 10 feet high..(3 mts) Not always easy to find, Samui Plant Centre past the PTT station in Lipa Noi sometimes has.... nursery on right side maybe 500 metres... )towards Hau Thanon) Small plants established quite quickly with a little TLC ! Thai's seem to know it as the Peacock flower" Several colours if you can find!

IMG_9598-1.JPG

If more comes to mind, I'll post later! Thanks for the picture!

Just to add there are quite a number of plants that would fit the situation... It really come down to how quickly one wants to fill the spot / hide the view ... Some shrubs may take a few years to grow high enough ... (depends a little on watering and fertilizing, initially too) wink.png

Bougainvillea may work too but it can take a bit of work to keep pruned...

DSC02933.JPG

I accidently removed the first images and have replaced them! wink.png

Thanks for all the replies. Found a shop selling 2 meter bamboo for 50 baht each, delivery to Samui only 1000 baht. So this price is great. Will order 100 plants. Our gardener is ok with maintaining them to achieve the look we want.

• 3 weeks later...

I have quite a lot of dogs that I currently fence in but as fencing is so expensive here, I was only able to fence about 1/4 of my land. I want a hedge really that will keep the dogs in. I have 2.5 rai of land - mainly on a slope. Half of the land is shaded under trees and the other half is open. I don't necessarily need to go around the whole plot but inexpensive, efficient ideas are appreciated. Also, as I don't currently like the location of the fence - growing a hedge against the existing fence isn't really an option

Bougainvillea is my usual answer to hedge questions, looks nice, cheap, dense (with spikes) and fast growing, will keep animals in or out.

BUT the above is also a disadvantage as it can get out of control if not clipped regularly.

It will need protection whilst it gets going so a simple bamboo fence to help it initially.

Dogs are very good at finding any chink in the armour so maybe a hedge alone isn't the final solution.

Archived