Gardening On The Islands

My neighbour's roses in a pot, .... this red variety seems to do best at lower elevations...thumbsup.gif

Samui%2520tour%2520March%2520-2-44.jpg

I checked out the hydroponic farm today, but all tomatoes have gone...

Just sheep and goats (new) and lots of lettuce...! Baa! (off Soi 4 Maenam, past the Temple!)

Samui%2520tour%2520March%2520-2-14.jpg

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, someone would know where could I buy seed grass ? In small quantities ( not for a golf course)smile.png

I don't think you will find it... (locally at least) I have looked and asked around a number of times... always told "no hab" !

I even asked the employees at on of the golf courses they said cannot...

I believe one of the reasons is infesting the rice growing areas ... even though none on Samui...

What you could do is make plugs from turf and plant about 15cm to 20cm apart, it soon fills in, although a bit tedious to do... of a larger area full size turf would be easier...

Having said all that ... with the hot days of late, it might not be the best time to do this... Which ever method you use, it's going to have to be kept moist while rooting, turf or seed....

Shade cloth would help during this period of rooting....

Anyone ever found here? Please respond if you have!

Hi everyone, someone would know where could I buy seed grass ? In small quantities ( not for a golf course)smile.png

I don't think you will find it... (locally at least) I have looked and asked around a number of times... always told "no hab" !

I believe one of the reasons is infesting the rice growing areas ... even though none on Samui...

What you could do is make plugs from turf and plant about 15cm to 20cm apart, it soon fills in, although a bit tedious to do... of a larger area full size turf would be easier...

Having said all that ... with the hot days of late, it might not be the best time to do this... Which ever method you use, it's going to have to be kept moist while rooting, turf or seed....

Most thanks for your answer, it was not only in my head not easy to find (in Samui) smile.png

Want to buy some saplings of local mangos.

Is there a nursery or some place that sells them on Samui?

Anyone had any experiecne trying to grow them on the mainland?

I think a case of checking some of the nurseries, to see if they have.... it's not something I have ever looked for! Put a sign on your bike, saying "This bike stops at all nurseries" wink.png

There are many nurseries around the island.... the ones south of Nathon, might be worth a try.... Samui Plants or Samui Plant Centre, more or less in the Lipa Noi area... (opposite sides of the road, but perhaps a kilometer apart (?) The one on the right side headed south has a huge growing area .... you may need to ask, the owners name is Krit... although he's not always there!

Seems to me you live up north, I think a case of have you seen them growing up your way? It's been a few years since I headed north and probably not in season when I was there!!

I will endeavor to check with some locals, to see what they say about where they get them... and post if I find out.... unless someone else beats me to giving an answer! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

Want to buy some saplings of local mangos.

Is there a nursery or some place that sells them on Samui?

Anyone had any experiecne trying to grow them on the mainland?

I think a case of checking some of the nurseries, to see if they have.... it's not something I have ever looked for! Put a sign on your bike, saying "This bike stops at all nurseries" wink.png

There are many nurseries around the island.... the ones south of Nathon, might be worth a try.... Samui Plants or Samui Plant Centre, more or less in the Lipa Noi area... (opposite sides of the road, but perhaps a kilometer apart (?) The one on the right side headed south has a huge growing area .... you may need to ask, the owners name is Krit... although he's not always there!

Seems to me you live up north, I think a case of have you seen them growing up your way? It's been a few years since I headed north and probably not in season when I was there!!

I will endeavor to check with some locals, to see what they say about where they get them... and post if I find out.... unless someone else beats me to giving an answer! thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

OK on my "walk about" this afternoon, I did ask!

Apparently, there is a regular guy with a pickup, who has baby Mango trees, Durien etc etc ... set up near the Maenam Morning market, which is located just after Soi 5 Maenam, ...( next Soi, which might be Soi 6? .... I am never quiet sure... it leads to the Maenam Temple school... often traffic police directing traffic there ...

That is when you are heading west towards Nathon. You would turn left or "inland".... but good luck with parking!!! w00t.gif

I believe the market opens around 5 AM is probably done before 9 AM ....

The lady who told me this, said you should be able to buy up north and wondered why you would buy here!

She did say too, that she would ask the guy in the morning if he has Mango seedlings , so I 'll try and find out whether he has or not.... and give a response here, perhaps tomorrow evening... thumbsup.gif

Thanks samuijiummy, I'll also keep an eye out at the Mae Nam morning market as I do most of my food shopping there.

We don't have the local (for here) Mangoes up North, at least that I can find anyway. I've been told by people that they haven't even had success growing them on the Southern mainland. Don't know if the soil is different or why.

But I have been told that I don't live in an elevation high enough to grow coffee and I tried anyway and my plants bore plenty of coffee cheeries.

There are over 400 varaities of Mangoes of which I grow a few kinds at my place in Chiang Mai. There are perhaps more than one hundred types of Thai mangoes, many of them hybrids developed in Thailand

(here's a link that shows a few of the kinds grown in Thailand, http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2193024/thai-mango-varieties, but not included is the kind I'm looking from here)

FYI I also grow rice, 15 other kinds of fruit, vegetables incl 7 kinds of mushrooms, all organically. We also keep chickens, ducks, goats and pond full of different kind of edible fish. In addition we grow many varietes of flowers, esp. orchids, and flowering plants and trees amoung other things.

But back to the mangoes, here's some pics of the one's at our resort here that we are looking to bring back. Sorry I don't know tha name.

As for the lady wondering why we are looking for mangoes here as there are mangoes up North I can only speculate that she might not know that we want a Southern variety or she doesn't know what happens past her own doorstep as is common with many people in many places.

p.s. Either seedlings or baby mango trees would be great

Thanks again,

JC

post-101742-0-14483300-1427248754_thumb.

post-101742-0-55354700-1427248788_thumb.

Thanks samuijiummy, I'll also keep an eye out at the Mae Nam morning market as I do most of my food shopping there.

We don't have the local (for here) Mangoes up North, at least that I can find anyway. I've been told by people that they haven't even had success growing them on the Southern mainland. Don't know if the soil is different or why.

But I have been told that I don't live in an elevation high enough to grow coffee and I tried anyway and my plants bore plenty of coffee cheeries.

There are over 400 varaities of Mangoes of which I grow a few kinds at my place in Chiang Mai. There are perhaps more than one hundred types of Thai mangoes, many of them hybrids developed in Thailand

(here's a link that shows a few of the kinds grown in Thailand, http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2193024/thai-mango-varieties, but not included is the kind I'm looking from here)

FYI I also grow rice, 15 other kinds of fruit, vegetables incl 7 kinds of mushrooms, all organically. We also keep chickens, ducks, goats and pond full of different kind of edible fish. In addition we grow many varietes of flowers, esp. orchids, and flowering plants and trees amoung other things.

But back to the mangoes, here's some pics of the one's at our resort here that we are looking to bring back. Sorry I don't know tha name.

As for the lady wondering why we are looking for mangoes here as there are mangoes up North I can only speculate that she might not know that we want a Southern variety or she doesn't know what happens past her own doorstep as is common with many people in many places.

p.s. Either seedlings or baby mango trees would be great

Thanks again,

JC

Hi JC!

Yes, so many varieties of many types of plants... even here on Samui. (depending on elevation, up in the hills here by the Lamai Temple on the hill there are coffee trees! ) So area differences and climates, can make a difference, I agree! Although many plants will adapt, to a point... The problem is that most nurseries or sellers off the back of a truck probably have no idea of the variety name.... especially in English.... but probably not the Thai equivalent either!

There is a display garden which I have yet to find in the Bophut area, I think, (forget the name!) that has many varieties of different fruiting trees... there was no map on the web site so not easy to find.... when I emailed them over a year ago, they did not bother to respond!

Also in Chaloklum on Koh Phangan there is a good display garden in the works, run by a Monk, although he's more in to Bananas, Bamboo, and water lilies, (mostly named) I don't remember him having hard wood fruit trees.... perhaps that will come later?...

Those small mangoes you have in your hand, the locals seem not to use much, they fall to the ground and rot ! Perhaps they cannot be bother to pick them, (although some stalls are selling them) ...There are lots of that type around the side streets of Maenam now, the larger one are better... !

The lady who was going to check the morning market in Maenam, did not go yesterday..... but watch out for the truck, she says is normally there... The nursery near there, may have, but they tend to be pricey, that is why I suggest the nurseries in the Lipa Noi area, might be better, if you head that way! ....

Good luck!

attachicon.gifGarden (2).jpg

Nicest show we've had so far from our topiary feung fah.

I had to do a google search to see what "feung fah" is, it comes up with various clinics or resorts! wink.pngbiggrin.png

I think from looking at it, it is what we call a Bougainvillea in the "west" .... it certainly is a show! Thanks for sharing! thumbsup.gif

I had to do a google search to see what "feung fah" is, it comes up with various clinics or resorts! wink.pngbiggrin.png

I think from looking at it, it is what we call a Bougainvillea in the "west" .... it certainly is a show! Thanks for sharing! thumbsup.gif

It certainly is Jimmy !! I was so unsure of the spelling of Bougainvillea and too lazy to look it up, so just used the easily spelled Thai name ! LOL !

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after seeming like an eternity we have had a reasonable amount of rain, at least around Maenam area! Just with what we had yesterday and this morning (perhaps more coming?) I noticed a number of plants around the garden had "bolted" over night and now flopping over w00t.gif

Plumarias (Frangipani) the worst and will either need to have a bamboo cane to support them or need to be cut back ...

A good opportunity at apply some fertilizer if plants are looking a bit yellow or lacking colour! 15 15 15 (the blue coloured pellets) would be a good all round fertilizer to apply, while we are getting a bit of decent rain!

It will probably bring on a huge amount of weeds in the next while too.... time for the hoe! .... and grass lawns will suddenly perk up and start growing too... wink.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy, can you please tell me the name of the plant in my garden with the brightly coloured leaves which you say is toxic, and maybe put a pic on her for all to see and recognise

PM would have been better! tongue.png

I am having a "senior moment" , can't think which one ....

Rain has been taking care of the watering !!! Next time I check on things I will take a pic .... for all to see, OK ! wink.png

Caladium is the plant, Oldsailor 35 was asking about, it has always been my understanding that all parts of this plant, is poisonous...

Wash hands well after handling!

There are various colours of the foliage on different varieties....

_MG_3362-5.jpg

After the recent rains on Samui at least, many plants have grown a lot.... I have noticed quite a few locals (and me) out shearing and cutting plants back, these last few days.

Caladium is the plant, Oldsailor 35 was asking about, it has always been my understanding that all parts of this plant, is poisonous...

Wash hands well after handling!

There are various colours of the foliage on different varieties....

_MG_3362-5.jpg

After the recent rains on Samui at least, many plants have grown a lot.... I have noticed quite a few locals (and me) out shearing and cutting plants back, these last few days.

Thanks Jimmy, quite beautiful are'nt they. I intend bringing some tomato seeds , suitable for the tropics, with me when i return in july, so if there is anyone on Samui who would like a packet, please let me know. OS

Hi :)

I'm somewhat of a beginner gardener, living in Ko Lanta (Krabi).. I'm currently trying to work out what mosquito repelling plants can be grown here?

I'm already growing some lemongrass, but am not sure whether the following plants can be grown in this climate or not :

Lemon Thyme

Basil (not Thai Basil - I'm already growing that ;) )

Nicotiana

Pennyroyal

Ageratum

Catnip

Also if you have any other suggestions of what I can grow to repel mosquitoes, flies, ants, generally annoying insects, I would be greatly appreciative :)

Many thanks

Hi smile.png

I'm somewhat of a beginner gardener, living in Ko Lanta (Krabi).. I'm currently trying to work out what mosquito repelling plants can be grown here?

I'm already growing some lemongrass, but am not sure whether the following plants can be grown in this climate or not :

Lemon Thyme

Basil (not Thai Basil - I'm already growing that wink.png )

Nicotiana

Pennyroyal

Ageratum

Catnip

Also if you have any other suggestions of what I can grow to repel mosquitoes, flies, ants, generally annoying insects, I would be greatly appreciative smile.png

Many thanks

The climate in the south is the problem for most of the plants you have listed.... It is really a case of experimenting if you can source the plants or seeds ..... I think you would have more success in the north of Thailand with the plants you list..... (or at higher elevations) ....

I see doing a Google search that Marigolds are listed one does see those growing in the south... The problem is one needs to crush some of the leaves to activate the smell .... It's the same with Citronella...

For ants, my best solution is Borax mixed with equal amount of sugar and water....and put small amount in areas infested.... that will kill the whole colony in a day or two.... and you should be ant free for a few months! Boron too, depending on which you can find locally.... A table spoon of mix goes a long way, use jam jar lids or similar dotted around.... where you see ants trails...

Borax... (sounds almost the same in Thai) .... This can fairly expensive to buy.... I am trying to source a cheaper supplier, but these things take time! facepalm.gif

I tried posting a picture of the box front here, but it won't let me do it! sad.png

My best solution for not being bitten by mosquitoes is taking vitamin B1 B6 and B12, daily, most pharmacies probably have...(one pill combination) I have not been bitten by a mosquito in months since I started taking them daily! . ....thumbsup.gif

I have a citronella plant very close to my balcony, yet still hoards of mosquitoes nest near by during the day! bah.gif Avoid any standing water.... although I find they use the cover of foliage to keep cool during the day.

Mother nature is not always as helpful as we would like, sometimes.....

If anyone else has any other ideas, please feel free to contribute!

• 2 months later...

Veggie seeding time....!

I've seen several locals getting their veggie plants going lately, with the cooler weather and a bit of rain, it makes for easier digging!

Some seeds my neighbours are sowing ...these last few days.... some are up already !

_MG_5360-128.jpg

Cover with seedless grass or coconut fronds or even plastic mess (green-- 50% shade)

_MG_5365-133.jpg

Beans and corn also being planted...

• 2 months later...

Now the rains have started.... It's probably a good time to gather up tools and give them an oiling to help prevent rusting! Service and replace oil in machinery too!

Many plants have put on a huge spurt of growth lately too, so some pruning or shearing probably good idea !

Or if you have plants to move, this would also be a good time to do.... Also there are a number of plants that one can make cuttings from, cut back to the growth about the size of a pencil and strip off most of the foliage and stick into the ground.... most things take about a month to root.... wink.png Hibiscus usually very easy, but worth trying on other shrub plants too... it does not take long to do and try! Some plants work better than others!!! wink.png

I have had some success rooting Allamanda....

_MG_3827-2.jpg

If you have Portulaca, cut it back, to get new growth and flowers! They won't like being in wet soil for long, so it could be a good idea to pot some up and make cuttings again after the rainy season!

_MG_3879-49.jpg

Neighbours veggies have become swamped! facepalm.gif

_MG_6380-10.jpg

If anyone is looking for Epsom Salts, for either tired aching feet or to perk up soil .... Gai Pharmacy, Soi 4 in Maenam has.... thumbsup.gif You need to ask her, it's not on the shelves!

_MG_6325-32.jpg

oh!!! and so far my latest tomato plant experiment is doing well..... OldSailor35 popped around the other day.... reminded me I'll have to eat my hat!

Some seed he brought back from Oz!...No fruit yet! tongue.pnglaugh.png

IMG_6620-437.jpg

Anyone tried to grow passionfruit, nice flowers and good fruit, have some vines at my Chiang Mai house where I am right now, escaped from the rain.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCnz2Ls-7vJPLdRb5AFJFfAy0mFK0vgRc3nxZNQHv3C_Y_-cw7

I had the flowering version for a couple of years, before it died!!!! The type with hollow fruit, but I've never seen the real fruiting type here.... Northern/ CM climate probably better!

Anyone have experience here?

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure that nyou are right Jimmy....Bouganvillea

Pretty sure that you are right Jimmy....Bouganvillea

Hi Old Sailor!!....

The day I see a ripened tomato grown here on the islands, I'll eat my hat!!! biggrin.gif

I've tried both here on Samui and KP... And the fact still remains, I've still not seen a tomato plant, with fruit on it! So when you or Joe produce fruit, or any one else for that matter.....I'll come and take pictures! wink.gif and post here!

Now, the other day I did see three volunteer plants growing at one of my neighbours, about 12 inches high.....they had obviously seeded them selves... as growing amongst something else....

I asked why people did not grow tomatoes, The answer I was given was that they (Thai's) did not like the smell of the plant... I thought that was a bit of a stretch for a reason... ohmy.gif

Hi Jimmy

I vaguely remembered a few posts here a long while back on tomatoes and whether they can grow here on Samui. I know that it is an old post and tempus fugit and all that, but wifey brought home some nice tasty toms from work today. They were grown at the ISS.

If anyone wants advice on how to grow these - the kids that planted/nutured them are the kindergarten section. (Age 2 - 5 years old!)

attachicon.gifTom 1.JPG

attachicon.gifTom 2.JPG

attachicon.gifTom 3.JPG

(Please do not eat your hat whistling.gif )

Anybody got the phone number to Samui rescue, i think that poor ole Jimmy is choking.

Now the rains have started.... It's probably a good time to gather up tools and give them an oiling to help prevent rusting! Service and replace oil in machinery too!

Many plants have put on a huge spurt of growth lately too, so some pruning or shearing probably good idea !

Or if you have plants to move, this would also be a good time to do.... Also there are a number of plants that one can make cuttings from, cut back to the growth about the size of a pencil and strip off most of the foliage and stick into the ground.... most things take about a month to root.... wink.png Hibiscus usually very easy, but worth trying on other shrub plants too... it does not take long to do and try! Some plants work better than others!!! wink.png

I have had some success rooting Allamanda....

_MG_3827-2.jpg

If you have Portulaca, cut it back, to get new growth and flowers! They won't like being in wet soil for long, so it could be a good idea to pot some up and make cuttings again after the rainy season!

_MG_3879-49.jpg

Neighbours veggies have become swamped! facepalm.gif

_MG_6380-10.jpg

If anyone is looking for Epsom Salts, for either tired aching feet or to perk up soil .... Gai Pharmacy, Soi 4 in Maenam has.... thumbsup.gif You need to ask her, it's not on the shelves!

_MG_6325-32.jpg

oh!!! and so far my latest tomato plant experiment is doing well..... OldSailor35 popped around the other day.... reminded me I'll have to eat my hat!

Some seed he brought back from Oz!...No fruit yet! tongue.pnglaugh.png

IMG_6620-437.jpg

I had a couple of plants from the same seed that i gave you Jimmy. (Grosse Lissie) Grew very well in a garden plot, reached about one metre formed flowers. Then i went away for 10 days, when i got back the bloody Grass hoppers had literally stripped them. My fault, i should have put some spray on the plants......Live and learn i suppose. i have more seeds so will try again.

Same here, i have been looking for grass seed for over 12 months, but no one seems to know what i am talking about. I brought 1kg of Emerald Kikyu grass seed back from oz, it grows well in Tropical and Sub Tropical climates, but have not yet had the chance to experiment with it yet.

Archived