Gardening On The Islands

Problem here is, any hedge one puts in, it going to take a while to establish. Depending on type of plant used.

Bougainvillea is fast growing once it takes hold, but needs a lot of care in shearing. If it gets to the point of being too big, it's a nightmare to prune.

Also as what sort of dogs are they, large or small? as Crossy points out they will find the chink in the armour so it could be a combination of fence and plants.

My preference would be hibiscus, (Shaba) as easy to root, if you can find a source of cuttings, and easily sheared, planting by staggering them close together.

As pointed out in the previous topics I am not a fan of bamboo.

I guess this is why many Thai's build walls around their gardenwink.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - not certain but this is a desert rose - yes?

In the last month or so it's started to develop red/orange leaves. I've check this on Google but there's no mention of what's causing it or how to treat it - anyone know?

Also it came in a small shallow container. My feeling is that it needs more space for its roots - should I re-pot? please advise.

Any hints on water/sunlight/feeding?

Thanks in anticipation!

27972266665_88c3277eff_c.jpgj
27358661733_f7a30d425f_c.jpg

Hi - not certain but this is a desert rose - yes?

In the last month or so it's started to develop red/orange leaves. I've check this on Google but there's no mention of what's causing it or how to treat it - anyone know?

Also it came in a small shallow container. My feeling is that it needs more space for its roots - should I re-pot? please advise.

Any hints on water/sunlight/feeding?

Thanks in anticipation!

j

Desert Rose is the common name if you want the latin, it's adenium obesum

Yes, it needs a new bigger and deeper pot, Rob...

Perhaps add some sharp / gritty sand (About 15%) if you use the potting soil available at garden centres, they don't like soggy soil.

Fertilizer would help too... colour of leaves is a sign of deficiency .... make sure soil is moist before fertilizing...

Full sun is good!

There something for you to do this afternoon!wink.png

Excellent Jim - thanks.

Yep - this afty.

Plus plant the new knobbly bamboo (got some for another spot)
Anf transplant my chick peas

And sew my Brussels sprouts (experiment!)

At least it's rainy right now!

R

Mmmm - I don't recall having seen one like it before, which is why I bought it (plus the pretty blue colour).

Got it from the nursery in Mae Nam - the smaller one near Dan Autos.

R.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know where i can get 8-8-8 fertilizer?

Never seen here, Sticky... but Gai Pharmacy has 15 15 15 (blue colour, on shelf behind main counter)

The way fertilizer works, that would mean you use half the amount....well close anyway!

Just make sure soil is moist before applying any fertilizer!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone !

This is my first test growing tomatoes in Samui (hydroponics and soil) :

I'm happy to share pictures with you guys.... Tomatoes coming ! :-)

mini_940142IMG24072016151206HDR.jpg

mini_629083IMG24072016151217HDR.jpg

mini_627548IMG24072016145215HDR146934709

Do you know the variety you have Fabe?

The hydroponic farm (Sheep farm too) on Soi 4 Maenam, past the temple. is having some success with a few varieties...

Keep in touch as to how yours progress...thumbsup.gif

Saw they had pots of italic basilika at Makro Chaweng today.

That's unusual to find, I have a neighbour who manages to save seed... each year,

Mine has done well this year, except now have a black bug causing this.... fortunately I made enough pesto to last the year already..

untitled-3.jpg

Hello Everyone !

The hydroponic farm (Sheep farm too) on Soi 4 Maenam, past the temple. is having some success with a few varieties...

I don't know the variety but it is thaï seeds.

I just discover this website : www.ppseeds.com

I would like to try with black krim and few others...

They have a lot of interesting seeds !

Yes, if somebody interested i can continue to post pictures for my tomatoes growing... ;-)

Hello Everyone !

I don't know the variety but it is thaï seeds.

I just discover this website : www.ppseeds.com

I would like to try with black krim and few others...

They have a lot of interesting seeds !

Yes, if somebody interested i can continue to post pictures for my tomatoes growing... ;-)

Please do!

This is a big general question!

We live on the beach in Bang Saphan, getting started on a house and gardens. Being so close to the salt water we (Thai wife and I) are getting started on a garden. We have over a rai so want vegies, herbs and flowers.

Not sure what may work good, or bad, so close to the salt water. If anyone has any suggestions, links, etc, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

We live on the beach in Bang Saphan, getting started on a house and gardens. Being so close to the salt water we (Thai wife and I) are getting started on a garden. We have over a rai so want vegies, herbs and flowers.

Not sure what may work good, or bad, so close to the salt water. If anyone has any suggestions, links, etc, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I had too look up where Bang Saphan is! I see near Hua Hin....thumbsup.gif

There are plants that are tolerant of sea water spray, really you need to observe what's growing close to the beach areas... and go from what does well. Soil may need to be amended .. that's not something to skimp on if very sandy. (both for watering use and holding fertilizer).

As far as vegetables and herbs etc, goes, I would plan beds as far from the beach as possible.. You may need to make raised beds ... depending on the soil conditions, if very sandy, perhaps add a good amount of organic soil. (you maybe be able to buy in bulk, perhaps ask the wife to ask at local nurseries) .

Vegetables are going to be seasonal for the most part.... I see a lot of planting going on around Samui right now, with most crops being fast to harvest, it's a question of timing in local areas and weather conditions.

For protection against sea spray during the stormy season, it could be an idea to use some sort of netting .... one often see shade cloth used as a barrier "fence". Height will depend on how rough it gets (perhaps up to eight feet high).

Your wife will probably use different techniques than the conventional methods us westerners use, when it comes to vegetable growing..... One thing that they tend to miss is clearing the land of weeds properly, which I find makes a "make working" program of battling weeds!

Good luck, any other specific questions, just ask!

Thanks!

I had too look up where Bang Saphan is! I see near Hua Hin....thumbsup.gif

There are plants that are tolerant of sea water spray, really you need to observe what's growing close to the beach areas... and go from what does well. Soil may need to be amended .. that's not something to skimp on if very sandy. (both for watering use and holding fertilizer).

As far as vegetables and herbs etc, goes, I would plan beds as far from the beach as possible.. You may need to make raised beds ... depending on the soil conditions, if very sandy, perhaps add a good amount of organic soil. (you maybe be able to buy in bulk, perhaps ask the wife to ask at local nurseries) .

Vegetables are going to be seasonal for the most part.... I see a lot of planting going on around Samui right now, with most crops being fast to harvest, it's a question of timing in local areas and weather conditions.

For protection against sea spray during the stormy season, it could be an idea to use some sort of netting .... one often see shade cloth used as a barrier "fence". Height will depend on how rough it gets (perhaps up to eight feet high).

Your wife will probably use different techniques than the conventional methods us westerners use, when it comes to vegetable growing..... One thing that they tend to miss is clearing the land of weeds properly, which I find makes a "make working" program of battling weeds!

Good luck, any other specific questions, just ask!

Thanks! I appreciate the great suggestions!! A lot of garden shops around so should be able to get something going. We did raised beds in California and worked well, easier to weed and control.

Thanks!!

Another ID question - sorry!

I bought these bulbs several years ago and potted them, they pushed out some dreary-looking leaves and then just sat there looking useless.

But suddenly, look! Woken up.

Trouble is that I've long since forgotten what it is!
Any ideas?

28027684524_98d800259e_k.jpg

(Jim - what's the size of the image like - it auto-adjusts perfectly for me . . . )

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2016 at 1:55 PM, robsamui said:

Another ID question - sorry!

I bought these bulbs several years ago and potted them, they pushed out some dreary-looking leaves and then just sat there looking useless.

But suddenly, look! Woken up.

Trouble is that I've long since forgotten what it is!
Any ideas?

28027684524_98d800259e_k.jpg

(Jim - what's the size of the image like - it auto-adjusts perfectly for me . . . )

Hey Rob sorry for delay in replying,  I just got back from up north, well Isaan to be exact.

Not sure about your plant there... I will try and find out in the next few days, my mind is still moving from thousands of kilometers of driving...  and trying like everyone else to get used to the new forum format!!!:facepalm:

Your images look great BTW!:thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm new to the island and I'm looking for a good place to buy potted plants, my garden has vast spaces of tiles and bare walls.  I have been to the nurseries in Maenam (smaller and larger) and the nursery in Ban Tai.  The selection is ok, but I was hoping for more.  And I was wondering if is better to buy the pots somewhere else and ask them to pot the plants for you ( I'm without tools)?  The nurseries didn't have the right size, or type (+/- drainage holes) for the plants I wanted to buy.  If you know of a store that has a good range of the typical Thai pot with dragons and what not and all sizes, types and designs.  And one last thing, where can I buy the fancy tailed guppies for the water plants?

2 hours ago, Sauc said:

Hello,

I'm new to the island and I'm looking for a good place to buy potted plants, my garden has vast spaces of tiles and bare walls.  I have been to the nurseries in Maenam (smaller and larger) and the nursery in Ban Tai.  The selection is ok, but I was hoping for more.  And I was wondering if is better to buy the pots somewhere else and ask them to pot the plants for you ( I'm without tools)?  The nurseries didn't have the right size, or type (+/- drainage holes) for the plants I wanted to buy.  If you know of a store that has a good range of the typical Thai pot with dragons and what not and all sizes, types and designs.  And one last thing, where can I buy the fancy tailed guppies for the water plants?

Hello Sauc

Well in addition to the Maenam and Ban Tai nurseries (Ban Tai nursery is same as the larger one in Maenam) 

If you head past Nathon, towards Hau Thanon, there are several nurseries on both side of the road... You might find what you are looking for, not all stock the same plant material...  I would warn about plants that are better grown in the northern Thai climates, not all plants they sell here are good for the local climate... it's sometimes trial and error! (most are OK though)

Some of the nurseries will pot and deliver your plants, usually a small fee or tip would be asked for or expected ... Although really no tools are really needed to pot plants up! A good pair of hands really is all that is needed! 

Potting soil sold in bags, generally need a bit of sharp sand added, (not beach sand) It's not that hard to find on side roads! 

For dragon pots, some nurseries carry them, if I remember correctly there are a few shops that just sell the pots... (after Nathon and the larger Maenam nursery) you just need to keep an eye out for them. 

Tools, as said, to do this yourself is not difficult, but perhaps a pair of pruners, watering can or hosepipe... as some will need to be watered twice a day especially during hot or windy weather... 

Don't forget to fertilize too!

Hope that helps

2 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Hello Sauc

Well in addition to the Maenam and Ban Tai nurseries (Ban Tai nursery is same as the larger one in Maenam) 

If you head past Nathon, towards Hau Thanon, there are several nurseries on both side of the road... You might find what you are looking for, not all stock the same plant material...  I would warn about plants that are better grown in the northern Thai climates, not all plants they sell here are good for the local climate... it's sometimes trial and error! (most are OK though)

Some of the nurseries will pot and deliver your plants, usually a small fee or tip would be asked for or expected ... Although really no tools are really needed to pot plants up! A good pair of hands really is all that is needed! 

Potting soil sold in bags, generally need a bit of sharp sand added, (not beach sand) It's not that hard to find on side roads! 

For dragon pots, some nurseries carry them, if I remember correctly there are a few shops that just sell the pots... (after Nathon and the larger Maenam nursery) you just need to keep an eye out for them. 

Tools, as said, to do this yourself is not difficult, but perhaps a pair of pruners, watering can or hosepipe... as some will need to be watered twice a day especially during hot or windy weather... 

Don't forget to fertilize too!

Hope that helps

Thanks, I'll have a look over there tomorrow.  I have been looking at plants and taking photos to try and help me find what I'm looking for, and guessing that if it's already growing it should be OK for me.  

And speaking of fertilizers,  can you buy the slow release tablets for water plants like lilies and lotus?

Yes, I know that I can just get my hands dirty.  Can I buy clay for the lilies and lotus?

Is there an insecticide that I can add to the water that I will keep papyrus in?  I don't think there will be enough water for small fish to keep the mozzies down.  

Thanks again :wai2:

3 hours ago, Sauc said:

Thanks, I'll have a look over there tomorrow.  I have been looking at plants and taking photos to try and help me find what I'm looking for, and guessing that if it's already growing it should be OK for me.  

And speaking of fertilizers,  can you buy the slow release tablets for water plants like lilies and lotus?

Yes, I know that I can just get my hands dirty.  Can I buy clay for the lilies and lotus?

Is there an insecticide that I can add to the water that I will keep papyrus in?  I don't think there will be enough water for small fish to keep the mozzies down.  

Thanks again :wai2:

:w00t: I just wrote out all the answers and it all went south.... :facepalm: This might be a little shorter! 

Just to add the last nursery worth a visit, in the Lipa Noi area, is just past the PTT gas station on the right side of the road... assuming coming from Nathon.  There is one more further toward Hau Thanon, but selection is not really great! 

There's several nurseries in Nathon, too that are worth a look too. and one on the left a few kilometers out of Nathon...  One is Samui Plants and Samui Plant Centre, never remember which is which!

You need to spend time poking around them, but having photos will certainly help! But you may spot something, hidden away!  You may have a problem getting delivery from the other side of the island... perhaps you can find someone with  a pickup, if you don't have?

Clay for  water plants , I know the Maenam large nursery usually has... but I would think any place selling water plants would too.

If your Papyrus is in a large enough pot, there should be room for some little fishes too!   If not just a drop of vegetable oil, or mineral oil  (if you can find)  you need to check often!  that   would kill / smoother the larvae... Or a small pump to keep water moving and aerated...

Not sure about slow release tablets for water plants,  I have never found they need it, especially if there fish in the water... they will do the job! :whistling:

Gloves work well for hands! :P

Good luck and let us know who you make out!!! :thumbsup:

Hope I got every thing! 

Here's a question for you gardeners;

Yesterday while on a wild goose chase at a temple near a waterfall 2km from the old Immigration office I saw a tree with what I believed were coco pods growing from the trunk and branches. Was this really a chocolate tree or is there some other explanation?

The pods were green/brown or red/yellow when mature, around 2 fists tall with serrations from pole to pole.

What was that about Bournville, Jim? :)

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Here's a question for you gardeners;

Yesterday while on a wild goose chase at a temple near a waterfall 2km from the old Immigration office I saw a tree with what I believed were coco pods growing from the trunk and branches. Was this really a chocolate tree or is there some other explanation?

The pods were green/brown or red/yellow when mature, around 2 fists tall with serrations from pole to pole.

What was that about Bournville, Jim? :)

Oh yes where's my Bournville?... good thing another member brought some back! :tongue:

Can't remember seeing cocoa growing along that stretch of road towards the waterfall... have to go that way on Monday,  actually everyday next week, will try and  take a boo...

There are several interesting trees along that road!

If you go past the New immigration office on Soi One, (about 2 kms)   there are many cacao trees, on both sides of the road.  I think abandoned... works like exlax if you care to try a windfall! :giggle:

Archived