Gardening On The Islands

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still looking for that 5-10-10 fertilizer on the island Jimmy. Now that my experimental Tomato is about 3 ft high and forming flowers, i really need this low Nitrogen stuff.

Afraid the 15-15-15 will have too much Nitrogen causing a fast growing plant with little or very few fruit. I know that you are happy about using other blends, but now that it is going so well, i would like to keep to my plan.

Go to the buffalo fighting camps or rings, usually tons there, some fresh some dried.

Thanks guys... now who has a pickup tongue.png ? My sandy garden is in need of more organic matter! wink.png

As for fertilizer formulations it is not necessarily easy to find specific formulations as it would probably vary to local conditions ... i.e 5 10 10 ...

It is some times a case of finding a similar ratio.... some times you can find 8 24 24 here... essentially that's going to do the same thing... but needed in later stage of when flower development and fruiting stage...

As an example if you could find 10 20 20 (never seen here) but you in theory would use half the amount... the 8 24 24 would be close though

Start off with a starter fertilizer, one can buy 10 52 10 as a wettable powder, and mix with water.... (1 table spoon to about 4 litres)

15 15 15.... (after first few weeks until flowers start to show .... then switch to higher last two number formulation! )

13 13 21 which is available would be good in mid stages to late stages of growth...

Always make sure before fertilizing that the soil is moist before applying... the more "organic" the soil is, the better fertilizer "clings".... and does its job.... sandy poor soils makes it very difficult.... as it just washes through...sad.png

Anyone confused yet? .... biggrin.png

Just by the by... there is a nursery in Lipa Noi area that will make up specific fertilizer formulas... but this is not practical for the home gardener as quantity would last years... (50 kg I believe is the minimum they will do... ) It's the place on the left, just past the now non existent Samui Agri Centre... (sign still there!)

We just mulch, but made from

10cm layered greens, then fallen palm fronds, buffalo manure, then repeat.

We are having a permaculture addition of balance biology from many thai regions,

combined into the compost, after it's current ratios are measured.

Free buffalo Poo....! This should get things moving thumbsup.gif

Allow to dry out before using..... and do not apply too much at one time!

Lots of it..... check out the buffalo stadiums .... several around Samui.... This one is just up Soi One... perhaps ask first!

I just love it when other people do the smelly job! tongue.png Thanks Old Sailor! thumbsup.gif

IMG_7296.JPG

These are some of the Tomatoes that Virt supplied seed...thumbsup.gif

IMG_7224.JPG

I am trying some in hanging pots ... I think enough drainage using soil bags ... time will tell!

IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_7286.JPG

IMG_7287.JPG

OldSailor35 's we'll see who wins! wink.png ...

IMG_7232.JPG

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Free buffalo Poo....! This should get things moving alt=thumbsup.gif>

Allow to dry out before using..... and do not apply too much at one time!

Lots of it..... check out the buffalo stadiums .... several around Samui.... This one is just up Soi One... perhaps ask first!

I just love it when other people do the smelly job! alt=tongue.png> Thanks Old Sailor! alt=thumbsup.gif>

IMG_7296.JPG

These are some of the Tomatoes that Virt supplied seed... alt=thumbsup.gif>

IMG_7224.JPG

I am trying some in hanging pots ... I think enough drainage using soil bags ... time will tell!

IMG_7285.JPG

IMG_7286.JPG

xIMG_7287.JPG.pagespeed.ic.3cMWQRc5CG.jp

OldSailor35 's we'll see who wins! ...

IMG_7232.JPG

Are you nafraid to show the big one Jimmy

The "big one" was out of focus OS 35 from the shot I took the other day! .... here you go! facepalm.giftongue.png

IMG_7684.JPG

This was not from Virt's seed BTW.... but looking pretty good although a problem with the lower leaves.sad.png

But at least it has some flowers... thumbsup.gif

IMG_7687.JPG

My Italian Basil is still not happy... something getting in the leaves and stems, despite regular spraying of organic pesticides..sad.png

I re-dug the soil with the manure this morning, and replanted them .... fingers crossed they will perk up! I have never had so much problem with basil!

IMG_7692.JPG

At least the reasonable amount of rain lately, is keeping other plants happy!

The "big one" was out of focus OS 35 from the shot I took the other day! .... here you go! facepalm.giftongue.png

IMG_7684.JPG

This was not from Virt's seed BTW.... but looking pretty good although a problem with the lower leaves.sad.png

But at least it has some flowers... thumbsup.gif

IMG_7687.JPG

My Italian Basil is still not happy... something getting in the leaves and stems, despite regular spraying of organic pesticides..sad.png

I re-dug the soil with the manure this morning, and replanted them .... fingers crossed they will perk up! I have never had so much problem with basil!

IMG_7692.JPG

At least the reasonable amount of rain lately, is keeping other plants happy!

I have cut those brown lower leaves off SJ. Maybe done wrong, but its too late now !

Looks like bad news! I think that my 'otherwise healthy' plant has FUSARIUM Disease.

An earthbound fungal disease, note the surmise of the lower leaves. This is a water bourne problem which starves the pant of water by attacking the roots. Eventually the whole plant will wilt and die. This fungus will remain in the soil for up to 4 years. The only answer is to buy seeds that have been bred to be resistant to the fungus. This is indicated on the seed packet with a "F" or a "V" (Verticillum) a similiar fungus.

Sad after all my efforts, but one has to Read, Mark, Learn and Inwardly Digest ! Better luck next time.

So Jimmy i suggest you check the marking on your seed packet.

Any fungal problems are very difficult to control.... make sure to burn the plants,

It is the same with say black spot on roses, or rust on Frangapanii..... burn do not compost!

Anyway time to move on! whistling.gif

I stopped by this demo garden in Chaloklum KP on Saturday, to see how things are coming along ... quite interesting to see and some thing to do for free!

IMG_7966.JPG

I meet the owner, very well spoken, his mission is to educate people about plants.... thumbsup.gif ...He is also the head Monk of Wat Chaloklum... seems like an odd combination!

His latest addition is the world's largest lily pad.... these can grow to be a meter wide!

IMG_7968.JPG

This will be a museum and learning centre

IMG_7969.JPG

The boss! standing next to the collection of lilies / lotus 400 varieties...always best to view in the morning...wink.png

IMG_7981.JPG

all a work in progress, a garden is never finished.facepalm.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Help how can I get rid of large black ants in my new top soil.

A bit tough to answer.... are we talking a lot of top soil that has been delivered from one of the suppliers, or the small bags ? I am going to assume you are on Samui....

Some ants are beneficial and not necessarily a problem... are they biting or stinging you?

(red fire ants that bite are usually more of a nuisance some of the small black ants sting... ...)

If you really need to kill the colony. Borax mixed with sugar and a little water, about equal portions of each, (say a table spoon of each) and make traps with jars old milk containers with a few holes punched in.... to protect from rain etc... I have found and this works and use around the house .... it gets rid of them for months.

Borax is not easy to find... (at least on Samui) Gai Pharmacy on Soi 4 in Maenam will bring it in... One pound box will make a lot of solution, so will last a long time. Make up small quantities at a time! ( Borax pronounced in Thai is almost the same as the English)

You can by sprays at Tesco etc, multipurpose stuff, look for symbols on the spray cans!) ,... but these generally on kill on contact ... meaning repeating sprays.

If you print this picture out, it might help! But Gai pharmacy has been the only place that will bring it in, locally, that I have found . wink.png In some other areas of Thailand it is not that hard to find,

800x740xSAM_0982.JPG.pagespeed.ic.48p4dR

Have any of you sharp-eyed gardeners noticed a drop in the water table in the maenam area?

Well not sure how sharp eyes are...tongue.png but since the bit of rain started after the dry period, the water is much clearer... at least at my place..but I don't know exactly were or how deep the well is that feeds my house and others around me... (near Samui Ice Factory).

But friends up Soi 5 on the flat area have a well that would normally would have reasonable water their well is not filling as it should after the rains .... which I find strange as friends further up the mountain on Soi 5 have been getting lots more rain, than us in lower locations, one with think it would have trickled down by now~ ! blink.png

I do know that the plants in my garden will need a machete soon to cut things back! facepalm.gif Even three of my Tomato plants are doing quite well, (but don't tell Oldsailor35 that! biggrin.png )

A bit tough to answer.... are we talking a lot of top soil that has been delivered from one of the suppliers, or the small bags ? I am going to assume you are on Samui....

Some ants are beneficial and not necessarily a problem... are they biting or stinging you?

(red fire ants that bite are usually more of a nuisance some of the small black ants sting... ...)

If you really need to kill the colony. Borax mixed with sugar and a little water, about equal portions of each, (say a table spoon of each) and make traps with jars old milk containers with a few holes punched in.... to protect from rain etc... I have found and this works and use around the house .... it gets rid of them for months.

Borax is not easy to find... (at least on Samui) Gai Pharmacy on Soi 4 in Maenam will bring it in... One pound box will make a lot of solution, so will last a long time. Make up small quantities at a time! ( Borax pronounced in Thai is almost the same as the English)

You can by sprays at Tesco etc, multipurpose stuff, look for symbols on the spray cans!) ,... but these generally on kill on contact ... meaning repeating sprays.

If you print this picture out, it might help! But Gai pharmacy has been the only place that will bring it in, locally, that I have found . wink.png In some other areas of Thailand it is not that hard to find,

800x740xSAM_0982.JPG.pagespeed.ic.48p4dR

Hi Jimmy

How do I go about printing this? I have been trying for the last 10 mins and can't work it out.

If you can't explain the process could please PM me the file.

Thanks in advance

gusG

Hi Jimmy

How do I go about printing this? I have been trying for the last 10 mins and can't work it out.

If you can't explain the process could please PM me the file.

Thanks in advance

gusG

PM sent but will post how I think you or anyone should be able to do it

For anyone else this should work!

Right click on the picture and copy & then paste to MS Word or some program that will allow you to print ... If you have Mac, Notes will work..

That should work, if it does not we may have to ask some techies! wink.png

Hi Jimmy they either came in in the soil,dung, or coconut, it was loose top soil from the garden centre. This is to start a vegetable plot and frightened to sow the seeds incase the ants eat them all. Have now tried some powder which has been recommended by the garden centre will let you know if it kills them. If not will go for the Borax which is now being advertised on the Samui Community page. Thanks again fingers crossed.

Have any of you sharp-eyed gardeners noticed a drop in the water table in the maenam area?

Well not sure how sharp eyes are...tongue.png but since the bit of rain started after the dry period, the water is much clearer... at least at my place..but I don't know exactly were or how deep the well is that feeds my house and others around me... (near Samui Ice Factory).

But friends up Soi 5 on the flat area have a well that would normally would have reasonable water their well is not filling as it should after the rains .... which I find strange as friends further up the mountain on Soi 5 have been getting lots more rain, than us in lower locations, one with think it would have trickled down by now~ ! blink.png

I do know that the plants in my garden will need a machete soon to cut things back! facepalm.gif Even three of my Tomato plants are doing quite well, (but don't tell Oldsailor35 that! biggrin.png )

That's pretty much us too, only we're just above sea level and have never before run dry.

Hi Jimmy they either came in in the soil,dung, or coconut, it was loose top soil from the garden centre. This is to start a vegetable plot and frightened to sow the seeds incase the ants eat them all. Have now tried some powder which has been recommended by the garden centre will let you know if it kills them. If not will go for the Borax which is now being advertised on the Samui Community page. Thanks again fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feed back Finet! thumbsup.gif

Any chance of a picture of the package the garden centre recommend (or which garden centre?) Tesco and Big C sell a powder in a gold foil package which I suspect is Chaindite powder... lots more expensive than Borax and the powder not seem to give a long term solution.

The ants disappeared for a good six months after my first mix of Borax and sugar... One thing is not to mix too much water, make a bit of a paste.

I don't think ants will eat the seeds, but termites might... sometimes termites are attracted to coconut fiber... (Locals seem to steer away from using fresh coconut fiber sawdust when trees are cut down.)

Borax kills the colony's nest when the take there. This is better than just killing what the contact sprays or powders ... .

I tried to find the ad for Borax on the Samui community page, with no luck! ( I like many don't do Face book! wink.png ) Was it a local source or does it have to be shipped in?

Gai's Pharmacy brings it in if ordered ... 500 baht for one pound box I pictured... If I remember correctly....

A bit off gardening, but one of the reasons I got onto using Borax was to prevent and kill ants getting into computer and electronics, in the house, where they can cause havoc! I use lids from jam jar lids dotted around various places as the "traps" ! wink.png

Out side, using a container with holes helps it from getting watered down from rain etc...

Hi Jimmy,the package is gold and is ERA POWDER for killing termites,cockroaches and Ants. Tried it last night and ants have gone this morning. The coconut was fibre sawdust so probably came from there. The advert on Community Samui for the Borax are giving away samples at the moment mailing them from the mainland. E.Mail address is [email protected] Will see if the ants stay away or if they get even bigger as I have just sewn a lot of seeds.

Thanks Finet ! ^

Here the name of another hard to find chemical that would be useful in the garden! ... helps plants absorb fertilizer better and improves health of ailing plants!

(Also good for tired old muscles after doing the garden! tongue.png )

I snitched this off another post somewhere on the forum....wink.png Name in English with Thai translation....

Epson salts = ดี เกลือ = dee gleua

Or...

Magnesium sulfate = ดี เกลือ ฝรั่ง = dee gleua fà-ràng

I have printed this out and will look around for it locally..... anyone else welcome to print and look for it too!

Please let us know if you find and where! thumbsup.gif

Thanks Finet ! ^

Here the name of another hard to find chemical that would be useful in the garden! ... helps plants absorb fertilizer better and improves health of ailing plants!

(Also good for tired old muscles after doing the garden! tongue.png )

I snitched this off another post somewhere on the forum....wink.png Name in English with Thai translation....

Epson salts = ดี เกลือ = dee gleua

Or...

Magnesium sulfate = ดี เกลือ ฝรั่ง = dee gleua fà-ràng

I have printed this out and will look around for it locally..... anyone else welcome to print and look for it too!

Please let us know if you find and where! thumbsup.gif

Found it!!!.... Gai's Pharmacy Soi 4 Maenam againthumbsup.gif .... she says she has always carried it... was sure I have asked before!

It's in clear bags, 70 baht... just ask her for it, it is at the back of her pharmacy counter!

If using for plants use about one table spoon to about 4 litres of water. Apply again in a few weeks! It's OK to apply fertilizer at same time too!

Water your soil first, then apply to soil... enough to soak in... the larger the plant the more you would apply... wink.png (basically only use on poorly looking plants! but will not harm good ones )

I asked at one of the Boots stores, no one had a clue! facepalm.gif

Here is a case of Magnesium deficiency in Hibiscus... other plants showing similar symptoms would looks the same, yellow mottling in the leaves....

My soil is fairly sandy and needs more organic matter,... that would also help to "hold" the fertilizer in the soil... and help feed the plants!

IMG_8153.JPG

My struggling remaining tomatoes.... got an attack of leaf minor over night! I used an organic spray to see if it clears up!

Definitely too much work and time trying growing Toms! whistling.gif

IMG_8155.JPG

The ERA powder did not work trying out the free sample of Borax will let you know what happens.

Yes, Era powder does not kill the colony nest, as far as I know... I have tried it over the years...

When you mix the borax and sugar do not make the solution too thin, when adding water....

Try, say one table spoon each of sugar and borax.... add a little bit of water at a time to mix into a paste.... then dot around a few areas... (covered in case of rain!) ... In the house I generally put behind doors. Some say mix with peanut butter, (expensive) ..... but I really don't think it makes a difference.

It will take a few days to work.... it's not an instant kill!

Good luck... and lucky you to find for free! thumbsup.gif

I just wish it would kill the blessed grass hoppers that are really doing a lot of leaf eating on too many of my plants this year! Nothing I have tried seems to do them in... sad.png

Here is a case of Magnesium deficiency in Hibiscus... other plants showing similar symptoms would looks the same, yellow mottling in the leaves....

My soil is fairly sandy and needs more organic matter,... that would also help to "hold" the fertilizer in the soil... and help feed the plants!

IMG_8153.JPG

My struggling remaining tomatoes.... got an attack of leaf minor over night! I used an organic spray to see if it clears up!

Definitely too much work and time trying growing Toms! whistling.gif

IMG_8155.JPG

iron and magnesium deficiencies look similar, and they often occur together. Heavy clay soils tend to prevent the plant from absorbing certain minerals which means you have to find easily absorbable micro element fertiliser.

Rosemary doesn't suffer in this respect! (private joke)

Archived