Thai Government Hangs By A Thread

webfact

I don't think so.

They are suffering from a loss of nerve, but have an opportunity to recover.

Abhisit just finished telling off the people who are truly in control of this country (the military). Wouldn't expect him to be in power too much longer, especially considering the military's actions today proved they're more than willing to switch sides at this point in time.

Edited by cdnmatt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine if Abhisit had either:

a) Held elections right when he became PM, to legitimize his mandate.

-or-

:) Accepted Thaksin's proposal to "share power", a few months ago.

He would have likely been able to serve out his full term. Instead, he chose to go "all in" with his chips.

I think a bag of chips might last longer than Abhisit.

FYI ... the Village People moustache man is back ...

Closely followed by a woman from L.A. who unless I am mistaken is the same woman who chattered away in English the other day. She sounds OK in English, but as soon as she speaks Thai (like now) she sounds like a right old dragon. Wouldn't like to bump into her on a dark soi. She'd scare the hel_l out of most of us.

Edited by Sunderland

[This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Army has already said they will not hurt thai people, so I don't think that will happen.

There will be a coup very quickly or abhisit will try to hang on and draw it out.... but will eventually be TOLD to call elections.

As what he is doing now is making a mockery out of the party and the military at the same time.

It is not Abhisit making a mockery, he has done what he needs to be done ...

the police and army do not follow orders, the police and army looking week

derilliction (sp) comes to mind

-or-

He would have likely been able to serve out his full term. Instead, he chose to go "all in" with his chips.

Sharing power with Tekki would be pretty stupid, share power with a crook

Pretty much sums up most of your line of thought

Like sharing power with a python

God help us if this woman (the one from L.A.) is in line to be one of the next generation of leaders.

I'll be sending a Facebook message to Abhisit to put her ahead of the other 24 people with arrest warrants against their names.

If she were the main face of the reds, I would jump off the fence and run like mad. Bloody nutter!!!

It is not Abhisit making a mockery, he has done what needs to be done ...

the police and army are not following HIS orders, the police and army are looking weak

dereliction of duty comes to mind

I agree

Edited by BIGTOE3

God help us if this woman (the one from L.A.) is in line to be one of the next generation of leaders.

I'll be sending a Facebook message to Abhisit to put her ahead of the other 24 people with arrest warrants against their names.

If she were the main face of the reds, I would jump off the fence and run like mad. Bloody nutter!!!

Well she is entertaining in her own way. :)

Edited by britmaveric

[This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Army has already said they will not hurt thai people, so I don't think that will happen.

There will be a coup very quickly or abhisit will try to hang on and draw it out.... but will eventually be TOLD to call elections.

As what he is doing now is making a mockery out of the party and the military at the same time.

Please correct me if i am wrong but isnt Abhisit a puppet for the military? I think through all of this which has been well documented by many,he has been able to do only so much and today he has castigated certain people in the military for not doing there job!!

He is a pawn and of that there is no mistake,lets see how long he lasts after tonight?

Having more elections in Thailand means nothing. Either side does not respect the result.

That model is useless in Thailand.

Another coup ? That just strips away foreign confidence in LOS.

Anyone got any other ideas ?

Edited by spongeman

Having more elections in Thailand means nothing. Either side does not respect the result.

A poll? wheres jingthing when you need him :)

Only time will tell, at least Abhisit has made his point to the army by lashing out at them if the report is true.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday lashed out at the military top brass for failing to enforce the emergency law passed on Thursday, on a day when his leadership was tested to the limit.

"The protesters brought Buddhist monks to the front, to counter which the police regrouped by bringing female riot police to the front of their lines. The protesters retreated as Buddhist monks in the Theravada sect cannot have physical contact with females."

Someone was thinking on their feet. Neat.

The moment I read that I started laughing. Thats pretty kickass of the police to do that and very dumb of the Reds to use monks. <deleted>, dont use monks as a meat shield. Have more respect :|

Become "communist" like Lao P.D.R.... You never see protest there. :)

Or just have the military take over period and no elections... be a military Junta like Burma. :D

Edited by Yunnie

A poll? wheres jingthing when you need him :)

A poll from Jingthing ? Thats the nuclear option.......

Suddenly today I see pickups full of minor children wearing red shits and red headbands, kids around 10, Prathom age for sure. I think the Redshirts have brought in bin Laden as a strategic advisor.

-or-

Sharing power with Tekki would be pretty stupid, share power with a crook

Pretty much sums up most of your line of thought

Like sharing power with a python

..with rainman as Monty....

"The protesters brought Buddhist monks to the front, to counter which the police regrouped by bringing female riot police to the front of their lines. The protesters retreated as Buddhist monks in the Theravada sect cannot have physical contact with females."

Someone was thinking on their feet. Neat.

Yes, bitch slap them red's. Woman power rules. Let's go girls and start up your engines.

I fully support a coup that is followed by free and fair elections.

That's how we got to this point in the first place.

Nope. The last coup wasn't followed by free and fair elections.

Well according to the international monitors for Asia, yes it was.

Odd that, you have to make a choice....

Regards

The election process might have been free and fair.

However, the removal of the last freely elected government by a coup was not and therefore the basis of the following election could not be said to be free or fair.

Thai's like most people seem to like to have a face saving compromise. The one that seems to me as a very interested outsider to hold the most water is for Abhisit to call an election in a reasonable period of time. That gives him the chance to carry on as PM for say 3 months and everyone to get themselves ready for the election. People can go home Bkk can get back to normal (or what passes for such in Bkk).

I do support Thaksin but do not see his involvement as taking the Country forward now. If he gets what he wants then he should leave it be. I suspect that is a forlorn hope on my part.

I don't see the point in arrest warrants and trials. It is hypocrisy on Abhisit's part as they did nothing to his supporters who closed the airport etc.

Look at South Africa and Northern Ireland. Moving on is the only way forward and leaving the past behind.

It is also a complete waste of money making it only for the lawyers and except in Thaksin's case is unlikely to bring a profit to the Country.

If the Red's get what they want and election is called then and they take part then they have to agree to stand by the result.

The army is as hamstrung and berift of ideas as the Redshirts and the government. The courts have made clear they won't play a role either in the present Mexican standoff.

Abhisit did make clear he's prepared now to get tuff and he proved it by cussing out the generals and police after the Thaicom fiasco. Abhisit is appearing to be the one guy with some clear approaches and is insistent about it - usually that's the kind of guy who carries the day.

Yes, clear 'em out, gently, one pocket at a time but the real question is where do you put them? Put them on the road so they can turn around to come back again? In a fenced off concentration camp? Evict the dogs from the pound? Where to send all these nutcake people?

Suddenly today I see pickups full of minor children wearing red shits and red headbands, kids around 10, Prathom age for sure. I think the Redshirts have brought in bin Laden as a strategic advisor.

Maybe they have just learned from the PAD playbook.

But, bringing kids into town doesn't seem nearly as bad as paying their families to use them as human shields on the front lines.

From the PAD seizure of BKKs airport.

Protesters in Thailand are luring children into their airport rally by paying mums and dads to give up their kids, according to an Australian trapped in the country...

Families who joined the "peaceful" demonstration with babies or children were getting paid more, Ms Vennell said.

"Many families are pushing their children to enter into the situation to provide more money for their families," she said.

The idea is that the military or police won't use as much force because children were still there, she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=676153

To the people supporting the reds can you please answer me these questions ?

I understand change is needed here but:

Do you truly believe that the Thai people will have more freedom, opportunity and democracy under the stewardship of an obscenely rich Thai/Chinese oligarchy ? Do you think they will get to change their mind if they are wrong ?

Look at the track record of the champion for democracy and ask yourself :

When he was in power did he try to do anything that the reds are striving for ? Did he try to enhance debate and discussion ? Did he try to give everyday Thai people more power,control and democracy in their lives and stamp out corruption ? Did he listen to people ? Did he try to (item 4. on the udd principals list- the most important in my view) implement the rule of law, due process and a system of equal justice for all, free of any obstructions or double-standards.Did he try to improve the education,knowledge and skills of the people ?

Or did he just use his time to obtain more wealth and power ?

I honestly don't know the answer to some of these questions ?

Maybe he had to be like he was so when he had achieved absolute power and wealth he could then become a benevolent dictator and that would be the only way he could change things and get things done.Finally he could work tirelessly for the Thai people ?

What do you think ?

Maybe they have just learned from the PAD playbook.

But, bringing kids into town doesn't seem nearly as bad as paying their families to use them as human shields on the front lines.

From the PAD seizure of BKKs airport.

Protesters in Thailand are luring children into their airport rally by paying mums and dads to give up their kids, according to an Australian trapped in the country...

Families who joined the "peaceful" demonstration with babies or children were getting paid more, Ms Vennell said.

"Many families are pushing their children to enter into the situation to provide more money for their families," she said.

The idea is that the military or police won't use as much force because children were still there, she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=676153

MellowYellow, if posting media reports, please use ones with a bit more credibility than hearsay picked up by a young traveller with no other authentication.

I don't think so.

They are suffering from a loss of nerve, but have an opportunity to recover.

Abhisit just finished telling off the people who are truly in control of this country (the military). Wouldn't expect him to be in power too much longer, especially considering the military's actions today proved they're more than willing to switch sides at this point in time.

That's how it should be in a free society. The military should be subordinate to civilian powers. It certainly goes against the Red's claim that Abhisit a puppet of the military. Should he retain power, my thinking is that Thailand has made a big step forward.