Thai Government Hangs By A Thread

webfact

Why would A have to step down? Shit happens. The Reds have been cruisin' for a bruisin' for 3 weeks, and they're going to get bruised. Then the remnants will go back to the provinces with their tails between their legs, and Bangkokians can clean up the litter left behind get back to business. ...just hope the Reds leave their kids and grandparents out of harm's way.

I fully support a coup that is followed by free and fair elections.

That's how we got to this point in the first place.

Nope. The last coup wasn't followed by free and fair elections.

Nope, the last coup was followed by elections. As for 'free and fair.....' ......that type of election doesn't yet exist in Thailand. And the Reds certainly aren't the ones who will usher in 'free and fair' elections. Even if the next elections (however they come about) were somewhat free and fair, the Reds will make a lot of ugly noise if the results aren't to their liking. Admittedly, that's also what the Yellows do from time to time. Essentially, Thai politics is controlled by a minority wearing one color shirt or another. Thailand still has a ways to go to before having free and fair elections. But another coup is not the way to get there, and am surprised that rainman advocates a coup d'etat - since he and other Red supporters have been consistently lambasting the fact that a coup took place a few years ago.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even a blind man can see what's needed here, and has always been the case. The government elected by the people has to be allowed to serve out it's term without military or any other intervention. Any other scenario and the voters are bound to take to the street, especially when supporters of the opposing party have been treated with kid-gloves in the past. I'm farang, but I'd get very pear shaped if the government in the UK was ousted by the army and another, unelected, party was put in in it's place.

Asia and European are chalk and cheese, you have the westminster style of government, asia has thier own style of government, just reading the Thai constitution is a load of laughs, more holes in the charter that U can drive a truck through,we can't be all corrupt , but U can be big time in Asia, all except Singapore, wounder why.

Even a blind man can see what's needed here, and has always been the case. The government elected by the people has to be allowed to serve out it's term without military or any other intervention. Any other scenario and the voters are bound to take to the street, especially when supporters of the opposing party have been treated with kid-gloves in the past. I'm farang, but I'd get very pear shaped if the government in the UK was ousted by the army and another, unelected, party was put in in it's place.

Exactly right .

In Thailand they have a law in the constitution that allows a court to ban an ENTIRE political party if one or more executive of that party are found gulty of breaking the law . Of course no general election right after are mandatory .

Imagine should Gordon Brown be found of getting kickbacks , the entire labor party beeing banned , and the conservative coming to power without general elections of course :):D:D .

A coup would now be the most peaceful way forward,lets hope it happens quickly like tomorrow!

I definitely don't support a coup that will turn into another few years of absolute army rule and then end up with the army choosing a new PM.

I have been saying, consistently, that elections (free and fair) are the only answer - whoever wins... wins and should be supported whatever colour

Exactly right .

In Thailand they have a law in the constitution that allows a court to ban an ENTIRE political party if one or more executive of that party are found gulty of breaking the law . Of course no general election right after are mandatory .

Imagine should Gordon Brown be found of getting kickbacks , the entire labor party beeing banned , and the conservative coming to power without general elections of course :):D:D .

EXACTLY! but some of the yellow fellows on here just don't get it - strange really strange

Asia and European are chalk and cheese, you have the westminster style of government, asia has thier own style of government, just reading the Thai constitution is a load of laughs, more holes in the charter that U can drive a truck through,we can't be all corrupt , but U can be big time in Asia, all except Singapore, wounder why.

If you say that Thailand is one of the most democratic country in the whole of SE Asia i would 100% agree with you . I have lived in SEA more then 24 years in Thailand and other ASEAN countries . The culture of democracy exist in Thailand and is very strong , in fact not that many changes are needed in the constitution , but they are needed . Main problem i think is corruption yet one dont fight the flu by killing the patient

Exactly right .

EXACTLY! but some of the yellow fellows on here just don't get it - strange really strange

Yellows are a small yet very vocal minority of thais i think . They dont even believe in democracy and general elections

Yellows are a small yet very vocal minority of thais i think . They dont even believe in democracy and general elections.

I don't agree. The Yellows are not a small minority, and they do believe in elections. ...and their type of democracy is more real than the Red's type. There was a dust up a few years ago when someone on a Yellow stage said something stupid about some peoples' votes counting more than others (I can't recall the quote), but that nonsense was quickly refuted by the Yellow leaders. However, that little hiccup has become fodder for anti-Yellows - even though it was an anomaly.

Nope, the last coup was followed by elections. As for 'free and fair.....' ......that type of election doesn't yet exist in Thailand. And the Reds certainly aren't the ones who will usher in 'free and fair' elections. Even if the next elections (however they come about) were somewhat free and fair, the Reds will make a lot of ugly noise if the results aren't to their liking. Admittedly, that's also what the Yellows do from time to time. Essentially, Thai politics is controlled by a minority wearing one color shirt or another. Thailand still has a ways to go to before having free and fair elections. But another coup is not the way to get there, and am surprised that rainman advocates a coup d'etat - since he and other Red supporters have been consistently lambasting the fact that a coup took place a few years ago.

Yes there was an election in Dec 2007 that brought the PPP (thaksin side) in power wth 233 MP's , the dems had 165MPs only , NO GENERAL ELECTIONS SINCE THEN . How come the dems are now in power without general election ? Because of an internal vote within a parliament doctored by the court to suit some of the elite ? Sorry that is not valid

"A total of 37 companies of troops were deployed to guard the Thaicom satellite earth station in Pathum Thani's Lat Lum Kaeo district at 10:30 pm Friday night.

The troops came from the 9th Cavalry Division in Kanchanaburi, 2nd Cavalry Division in Bangok and the Don Mueng-based Air Defence Command.

They set up barbed wires around the station's wall and made the barriers higher than the last time.

They also set up three checkpoints at the entrance to Wat Bor Thong temple, at the entrance to Shinawatra University and the entrance to Wat Nong Pladook Temple.

The soldiers at the checkpoints were armed with M16 assault rifles and machine guns.

The Nation"

So do the Reds try again or did they make their point yesterday?

THey made their point and the red TV is back on the air last time i checked .

Of course there will be a political price to pay for Abhisit for ordering force

and an even bigger price for ordering force and failling

Most Farang have problems grasping what goes on in Thailand after living in comfy corner for most of their lives.

Perhaps in the not too distant future this board will be free to speak its mind and paint a clearer picture to those that think the Red Shirt mob are brain dead country folk.

Yellows are a small yet very vocal minority of thais i think . They dont even believe in democracy and general elections.

I don't agree. The Yellows are not a small minority, and they do believe in elections. ...and their type of democracy is more real than the Red's type. There was a dust up a few years ago when someone on a Yellow stage said something stupid about some peoples' votes counting more than others (I can't recall the quote), but that nonsense was quickly refuted by the Yellow leaders. However, that little hiccup has become fodder for anti-Yellows - even though it was an anomaly.

OK fine . But the PAD has been banned as a political party if am not mistaken . You see now how unfair this provision of the constitution is to voters .

But if the PAD not banned or say reinstated , lets have an election and count the votes that PAD receives

Edited by moresomekl

"A total of 37 companies of troops were deployed to guard the Thaicom satellite earth station in Pathum Thani's Lat Lum Kaeo district at 10:30 pm Friday night.

The troops came from the 9th Cavalry Division in Kanchanaburi, 2nd Cavalry Division in Bangok and the Don Mueng-based Air Defence Command.

They set up barbed wires around the station's wall and made the barriers higher than the last time.

They also set up three checkpoints at the entrance to Wat Bor Thong temple, at the entrance to Shinawatra University and the entrance to Wat Nong Pladook Temple.

The soldiers at the checkpoints were armed with M16 assault rifles and machine guns.

The Nation"

Sound like a death trap to me.

I don't see the Reds petitioning the courts or raising their voices regarding any changes in the Thai constitution, distribution of wealth, health care or education. What they are doing is what we used to call "single issue politics" in the US. Just keep repeating the same message over and over and over. Keep hammering away with this message and it becomes truth regardless of the facts.

@ parryhandy,

Why you ask the Red Shirts to answer your questions?

Why you ask them to think?

If you live in Thailand for some years then you know Thai people CANNOT THINK.

If you live in Thailand for some years then you know that there are NO fair elections. It is called vote buying. Last election up to 2.000 Baht per vote. Thai people like the money but not the work to get the money nor the abailibility to think about things. It is their culture.

Futhermore, all Red Shirts are payed to demonstrate. ALL. Up to 1.000 Baht a day by Thaksin to bring him back. Their leaders are staying at the Hyatt Regency in suites at 20.000 Baht a night while the crowd is sleeping, cheering, urinating on the streets. They took all ID"s from the Reds Shirts so they cannot go home.

Red Shirts just follow the stupid Hitler orders from the leaders because they receive a salary to do the most bad and stupid things.

End of story. This is Thailand and no one can change. Only long time and good education. Two things Thai people don't want.

You are making multiple ignorant bullsh*t comments. I state this because;

1. Thai people CANNOT THINK.

You prove it all with that one racist ignorant comment. It is as accurate as saying that all farangs in Thailand are depraved pedos.

2. Futhermore, all Red Shirts are payed to demonstrate. ALL. Up to 1.000 Baht a day by Thaksin to bring him back.

NO. Not all Reds have received compensation. More specifically you have repeated the same lie that has been told every day since the protests began. The monies distributed to the Redshirts are intended to cover the costs of housing, food and fuel. How do you expect an impoverished farmer or merchant from a far off province to make it to an event if destitute? The monies distributed are a Thai version of political financing as seen in western countries. Yes, that's right. In many countries, the government distributes funds to political parties. In democracies like the USA, special interest groups actively contribute to pay for rallies, television time and some very nasty attack ads. There are special interest lobbying groups in all western countries. What is seen in Thailand pales in comparison.

3. Their leaders are staying at the Hyatt Regency in suites at 20.000 Baht a night while the crowd is sleeping, cheering, urinating on the streets.

Not exactly. There has been a dispersal. It defies common sense to put all leaders in one hotel. If you had any common sense you would realize that a concentration of leaders in one place would make it easier to arrest or harm those leaders. D-uh.

4. They took all ID"s from the Reds Shirts so they cannot go home.

Another blatant lie. Prove it. Some cards were surrendered by protestors so that they could be held in safety. Think about it. If the protestors are arrested, not having the id card makes it more difficult to process and charge them. Thinking isn't a strong suit of yours is it? Maybe the comment you made in item 1 applies to you.

5.Red Shirts just follow the stupid Hitler orders from the leaders because they receive a salary to do the most bad and stupid things. Are you as stupid in person as your statements make you out to be? Where does Hitler come into this? There is no evidence of anything done by the Redshirts to suggest a parallel to hitler. No invasions of foreign countries, no genocides, no bogus pseudo race laws, no murders, no theft of private assets, nothing. Where do you get off with an offensive lie like this?

Receiving a salary to do the most bad and stupid things? Again, another bogus claim.

6. This is Thailand and no one can change. Only long time and good education. Two things Thai people don't want.

How do you know what people want or do not want? my friend starts classes at 8AM this morning. He is pursuing his masters degree part time. How about you try cramming the 6 day work week into 5 days, forgoing holidays as well and then going to school Saturday and Sunday, all the while being on call for your employer and then come back and tell me that Thais do not want a good education or are "lazy". If he was in a western country, he would benefit from a 5 day work week and generous employer and government assistance to improve his skills. This being Thailand, because he is not the scion of the Bangkok elite, he faces the same predicament that all poor workers face that seek to improve themselves: Obstacles set up by the haves to block the progress of the have nots.

Your post was disgusting.

Edited by geriatrickid

From the PAD seizure of BKKs airport.

Protesters in Thailand are luring children into their airport rally by paying mums and dads to give up their kids, according to an Australian trapped in the country...

Families who joined the "peaceful" demonstration with babies or children were getting paid more, Ms Vennell said.

"Many families are pushing their children to enter into the situation to provide more money for their families," she said.

The idea is that the military or police won't use as much force because children were still there, she said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=676153

I am gussing that nonemsn gained from publishing this.

Since Abhisit seems to be having some trouble getting the Thai military to follow orders, maybe he should pull some diplomatic strings and get some of these guys on loan.

lumberjack-commandos.jpg

Figure 2 or 3 of them would be able to hold Thaicom, and a couple dozen could clear out the rest around Bangkok.

:)

The Nation"

Sound like a death trap to me.

that is the question... the day will show us i guess - and will the Army respond - very difficult to tell but the price Abhisit will pa will be very high - he should have called electrion within 3 months and diffused the situation - of course he'd lose the election but i'm sure that didn't influence his thinking hehe

Since Abhisit seems to be having some trouble getting the Thai military to follow orders, maybe he should pull some diplomatic strings and get some of these guys on loan.

lumberjack-commandos.jpg

Figure 2 or 3 of them would be able to hold Thaicom, and a couple dozen could clear out the rest around Bangkok.

:D

Is that a Canadian flag on the fellow on the rights left shoulder? :)

Edited by humfurry

A coup would now be the most peaceful way forward,lets hope it happens quickly like tomorrow!

I definitely don't support a coup that will turn into another few years of absolute army rule and then end up with the army choosing a new PM.

There will be no coup , the army sees what the consequences of Sept 2006 have been .

The politicians are on their own to solve the situation by now .

If Anupong plays it well , he might even be named next Defence minister even under a PTP

coalition , after the military reshufle and new elections . Given that he was instrumental in

the Sept 2006 coup , quite a political achievement , I'd say .

[This could mean that a crackdown is on the cards and bloodshed will happen, then Abhisit steps down..

Army has already said they will not hurt thai people, so I don't think that will happen.

There will be a coup very quickly or abhisit will try to hang on and draw it out.... but will eventually be TOLD to call elections.

As what he is doing now is making a mockery out of the party and the military at the same time.

It is not Abhisit making a mockery, he has done what he needs to be done ...

the police and army do not follow orders, the police and army looking week

derilliction (sp) comes to mind

Basically this is where it's at. No government can govern if they are not in control of the military and police. Thailand is light years away from democracy.

People waste days of their lives arguing back and forth about politics in Thailand and what should be done, but no one is offering a solution about how the government can take total control of the military. Unless that is solved Thailand will just continue to cycle through elections, coups, prostest ad infinitum.

Don't let angry mobs force new elections. In every democracy there are people who will be dissatisfied. If they are allowed to take to the streets and force new polls it will happen over and over. If the Reds actually value democracy they should wait for the next scheduled elections, but it's really about Thaksin's money isn't it. If the Reds use terror and intimidation when they are only protesters imagine how much worse they would be as the government. Then you'd see what a real dictatorship is like.

"The protesters brought Buddhist monks to the front, to counter which the police regrouped by bringing female riot police to the front of their lines. The protesters retreated as Buddhist monks in the Theravada sect cannot have physical contact with females."

Someone was thinking on their feet. Neat.

Yes, I very much liked this move.

Someone was wide awake yesterday.

@ parryhandy,

Why you ask the Red Shirts to answer your questions?

Why you ask them to think?

If you live in Thailand for some years then you know Thai people CANNOT THINK.

If you live in Thailand for some years then you know that there are NO fair elections. It is called vote buying. Last election up to 2.000 Baht per vote. Thai people like the money but not the work to get the money nor the abailibility to think about things. It is their culture.

Futhermore, all Red Shirts are payed to demonstrate. ALL. Up to 1.000 Baht a day by Thaksin to bring him back. Their leaders are staying at the Hyatt Regency in suites at 20.000 Baht a night while the crowd is sleeping, cheering, urinating on the streets. They took all ID"s from the Reds Shirts so they cannot go home.

Red Shirts just follow the stupid Hitler orders from the leaders because they receive a salary to do the most bad and stupid things.

End of story. This is Thailand and no one can change. Only long time and good education. Two things Thai people don't want.

You are an ignorant liar spewing bullsh*t. I state this because;

1. Thai people CANNOT THINK.

You prove it all with that one racist ignorant comment. It is as accurate as saying that all farangs in Thailand are depraved pedos.

2. Futhermore, all Red Shirts are payed to demonstrate. ALL. Up to 1.000 Baht a day by Thaksin to bring him back.

NO. Not all Reds have received compensation. More specifically you have repeated the same lie that has been told every day since the protests began. The monies distributed to the Redshirts are intended to cover the costs of housing, food and fuel. How do you expect an impoverished farmer or merchant from a far off province to make it to an event if destitute? The monies distributed are a Thai version of political financing as seen in western countries. Yes, that's right. In many countries, the government distributes funds to political parties. In democracies like the USA, special interest groups actively contribute to pay for rallies, television time and some very nasty attack ads. There are special interest lobbying groups in all western countries. What is seen in Thailand pales in comparison.

3. Their leaders are staying at the Hyatt Regency in suites at 20.000 Baht a night while the crowd is sleeping, cheering, urinating on the streets.

Not exactly. There has been a dispersal. It defies common sense to put all leaders in one hotel. If you had any common sense you would realize that a concentration of leaders in one place would make it easier to arrest or harm those leaders. D-uh.

4. They took all ID"s from the Reds Shirts so they cannot go home.

Another blatant lie. Prove it. Some cards were surrendered by protestors so that they could be held in safety. Think about it. If the protestors are arrested, not having the id card makes it more difficult to process and charge them. Thinking isn't a strong suit of yours is it? Maybe the comment you made in item 1 applies to you.

5.Red Shirts just follow the stupid Hitler orders from the leaders because they receive a salary to do the most bad and stupid things. Are you as stupid in person as your statements make you out to be? Where does Hitler come into this? There is no evidence of anything done by the Redshirts to suggest a parallel to hitler. No invasions of foreign countries, no genocides, no bogus pseudo race laws, no murders, no theft of private assets, nothing. Where do you get off with an offensive lie like this?

Receiving a salary to do the most bad and stupid things? Again, another bogus claim.

6. This is Thailand and no one can change. Only long time and good education. Two things Thai people don't want.

How do you know what people want or do not want? my friend starts classes at 8AM this morning. He is pursuing his masters degree part time. How about you try cramming the 6 day work week into 5 days, forgoing holidays as well and then going to school Saturday and Sunday, all the while being on call for your employer and then come back and tell me that Thais do not want a good education or are "lazy". If he was in a western country, he would benefit from a 5 day work week and generous employer and government assistance to improve his skills. This being Thailand, because he is not the scion of the Bangkok elite, he faces the same predicament that all poor workers face that seek to improve themselves: Obstacles set up by the haves to block the progress of the have nots.

Your post was disgusting.

Secunded . Yes .... disgusting

Don't let angry mobs force new elections. In every democracy there are people who will be dissatisfied. If they are allowed to take to the streets and force new polls it will happen over and over. If the Reds actually value democracy they should wait for the next scheduled elections, but it's really about Thaksin's money isn't it. If the Reds use terror and intimidation when they are only protesters imagine how much worse they would be as the government. Then you'd see what a real dictatorship is like.

The Democrat Party took over the Government after:

• Continuously criticising the Taksin Government for using state funds for the poor

• Refusing to take part in the elections of 2006 because they knew they would lose

• A military coup in September 2006

• A military Constitution was introduced in 2007 which decreased the democratic space

• They lost the December 2007 election

• They supported the PAD violent demonstrations which seized Government House and closed down the international airports

• The Royalist Courts were used twice to dissolve Red Shirt parties which won majorities

• Corrupt politicians were bullied and bribed by the army to change sides and support the Democrat Party

you think this is democratic?

So a coup is now alright if it supports your side...

Utter hypocrisy.

You have been screaming the coup was bad for years and now ask for one....

Most Farang have problems grasping what goes on in Thailand after living in comfy corner for most of their lives.

Perhaps in the not too distant future this board will be free to speak its mind and paint a clearer picture to those that think the Red Shirt mob are brain dead country folk.

So what you are saying is that the way the reds are acting is a sign of brains and brilliance?

Take your red bandana off and get a grip on reality

When will people start to understand it is only about the military,they have the ultimate power here not Abhisit or Thaksin.

Junta repeat Junta,it takes years to get a democratic society and Thailand is in the early stages still.

What is happening now is just a shuffiling of the cards.....and a new dealer will become banker,but the ultimate power will stay with the military it is ingrained in the history of Thailand,i don't think any of us will see a real democratic society in our lifetime here.