Songran Fun Or Not

ilovemangos

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, 1 day ought to be enough.

Having to place your phone and money into a plastic bag and keep it in your pocket is quite ridiculous.

I indeed stay in for about 4 days over the period.

People seem to have forgotten the spirit of the water festival.

This will be my first Songkran...and I hate the idea of it already. I can't do my photo walks because I don't want to put an expensive camera at risk of water damage. Can't go anywhere without getting soaked...or so everyone tells me.

If it were me I wouldn't force people to participate...which is what it is now...but rather have some places to go where you could throw water to your hearts content...the parks, for starters...perhaps certain streets.

You're right...people have forgotten the meaning of it...it's become a reason to act like fools.

Humbug I say!

I agree, 1 day ought to be enough.

Having to place your phone and money into a plastic bag and keep it in your pocket is quite ridiculous.

I indeed stay in for about 4 days over the period.

People seem to have forgotten the spirit of the water festival.

This will be my first Songkran...and I hate the idea of it already. I can't do my photo walks because I don't want to put an expensive camera at risk of water damage. Can't go anywhere without getting soaked...or so everyone tells me.

If it were me I wouldn't force people to participate...which is what it is now...but rather have some places to go where you could throw water to your hearts content...the parks, for starters...perhaps certain streets.

You're right...people have forgotten the meaning of it...it's become a reason to act like fools.

Humbug I say!

I understand what you're saying, but one of the things we love about Thailand is that its so easy-going.

Unfortunately the down side of that is that people with no common sense run riot.....

Its not hard to differentiate between those who want to join in and those who its probably better to avoid - motorcyclists, pedestrians dressed up in good clothes etc. etc.

If only that basic common sense were shown, everyone would love the festival.

manilalover.

re ... in Chiangmai the water annoyances already started, every year the same tattood bababobo whores in front of their bars at LoiKroh road, and few blonde lonely planet idiots who can wait 'going back to their youth' and already behave as if the city is one big kindergarten.

do you mean these people ?

enjoy todays pics of songkran in chiang mai , two days early and the two girls in the lanna dresses were the first casualties i saw today when they fell off their bike outside blue bar : (

dave2

ps .... i dont mind the water but the iced water is a no no for me so ive already shut the door for the duration : )

manilalover.

re ... in Chiangmai the water annoyances already started, every year the same tattood bababobo whores in front of their bars at LoiKroh road, and few blonde lonely planet idiots who can wait 'going back to their youth' and already behave as if the city is one big kindergarten.

enjoy todays pics of songkran in chiang mai , two days early and the two girls in the lanna dresses were the first casualties i saw today when they fell off their bike outside blue bar : (

dave2

ps .... i dont mind the water but the iced water is a no no for me so ive already shut the door for the duration : )

Nice photos...

I just happen to be in Chiang Mai today and felt like punching a farang girl and boy who shot me from behind after i asked/told them not to... They thought it was funny..mr grumpy farang with a new $500 camera and phone in my bag with no water proof protection...

Another group of farangs I approached and explained but they said right on and didn't soak me with the super guns...

To be honest i was f_cking livid with bloke and girl and they started following me...not sure if to get a surprise hit on me or just happened to be following...

anyway..thanks to them i find a nice little massage shop...sometimes it ends well :)

The motorbikes were being soaked today...bet the mobile phone shops love it...

when it starts in the 13th...okay everyone is a target but not 3 days before....

manilalover.

Nice pics from the idiots-slaves !

Real glad I don't live in the city anymore pukey.gif

Waiting for your wet tshirt close-ups ! :)

PS, they hand out free plastic sealbags to keep things dry, at the J&N Café/former Enjoy Place (go inside soi 2 right before Mandalay Racist Club/ at T-junction go right/ opposite 2nd T-junction)

If you think it is 'fun' to have drunks throwing filthy water,powder and ice over everyone and have trucks block the highways while they battle it out then songkran is for you.

I wonder how many of you realise that many of the young thai guys have filled their 'water guns' with urine?

many of these guys in Pattaya have STD'S..I have also seen trucks filling up with water from the filthy klong [ditch] next to Sukhumwit rd..this they sell to other pick up trucks.

In Pattaya this filthy 'festival' goes on for about a week.It is supposed to end at 6.pm but many drunken farangs continue until they fall over from too much beer late at night.

I will stay at home and can hopefully get to Lotus for late shopping .

Basically I love traditions and folkore and they should stay, but Songkran is way beyond 'a tradition' because it's clearly that the idiots think they should rule this days and shout as loud as they can.

What to think of emptyheads who pump water at motorcycles at already very dangerous intersections ? You think that is traditional, sane behaviour ? I don't think so. What you think of 400-600 deaths every year ? Why in Europe we have no deaths when we have festivals ?

The government shows a big management FAIL with this 'festival' (if 'management' already has been invented here) in Chiangmai the water annoyances already started, every year the same tattood bababobo whores in front of their bars at LoiKroh road, and few blonde lonely planet idiots who can wait 'going back to their youth' and already behave as if the city is one big kindergarten.

Sure people must have the right to enjoy, and the right to go completely out of their ceiling from time to time, but not for any price and not without loosing responsibility regarding safety of other people.

In Chiangmai they could close the innercity from cars, forbid pumping water along roads where they drive faster the 50km/h. And restrict it to 3 days and not 7 to 8 days like in Chiangmai, fine people who trespass safety rules, jail people who behave like drunk idiots, fighting and drive drunk for 2 weeks.

Then Songkran could become fun for everyone again.

Thailand has a serious lack of good moral and a weak backbone I hate that because it's pulling the whole country down on the fast track.

I would not mind if the muslims from the south take over the country asap and bring back order and progress !

Amen, whatever... enjoy happy and safe crazy days !

If you think it is 'fun' to have drunks throwing filthy water,powder and ice over everyone and have trucks block the highways while they battle it out then songkran is for you.

I wonder how many of you realise that many of the young thai guys have filled their 'water guns' with urine?

many of these guys in Pattaya have STD'S..I have also seen trucks filling up with water from the filthy klong [ditch] next to Sukhumwit rd..this they sell to other pick up trucks.

In Pattaya this filthy 'festival' goes on for about a week.It is supposed to end at 6.pm but many drunken farangs continue until they fall over from too much beer late at night.

I will stay at home and can hopefully get to Lotus for late shopping .

Basically I love traditions and folkore and they should stay, but Songkran is way beyond 'a tradition' because it's clearly that the idiots think they should rule this days and shout as loud as they can.

What to think of emptyheads who pump water at motorcycles at already very dangerous intersections ? You think that is traditional, sane behaviour ? I don't think so. What you think of 400-600 deaths every year ? Why in Europe we have no deaths when we have festivals ?

The government shows a big management FAIL with this 'festival' (if 'management' already has been invented here) in Chiangmai the water annoyances already started, every year the same tattood bababobo whores in front of their bars at LoiKroh road, and few blonde lonely planet idiots who can wait 'going back to their youth' and already behave as if the city is one big kindergarten.

Sure people must have the right to enjoy, and the right to go completely out of their ceiling from time to time, but not for any price and not without loosing responsibility regarding safety of other people.

In Chiangmai they could close the innercity from cars, forbid pumping water along roads where they drive faster the 50km/h. And restrict it to 3 days and not 7 to 8 days like in Chiangmai, fine people who trespass safety rules, jail people who behave like drunk idiots, fighting and drive drunk for 2 weeks.

Then Songkran could become fun for everyone again.

Thailand has a serious lack of good moral and a weak backbone I hate that because it's pulling the whole country down on the fast track.

I would not mind if the muslims from the south take over the country asap and bring back order and progress !

Amen, whatever... enjoy happy and safe crazy days !

Whilst I agree with some of your post, I made the mistake of venturing out v quickly at 7.30 a.m. one Songkran morning as I'd run out of milk. I thought I'd be back long before the fun started........

I couldn't believe that there were already drunk Thai men already getting ready to start the day's festivites.

Farangs can be bad, but at least they're not (generally) pissed and ready to go at 7.30 a.m.!

Agree with needforspeed here - Songkran is definitely to be avoided if you only have a motorbike.

Getting water thrown at you on a motorbike isn't fun - its dangerous.

Having said that, its great fun if its restricted to those who want to get involved.

Tend to agree fanatic. Mostly, these days, I avoid it all and try to stay insde. But, sometimes, if I'm in the mood and I dressed down for the occasion and ready to rumble, I'm up for it and give as much as I get.

Being a westener of course I get the "special treatment". I know why, but that's a different topic. If someone throws a bucket of water over me they're gonna get one back.

BUT, what I really find insane are those Thais that think nothing of throwing water at a moving motor cycle.

Songkran, more than any other time Thais (and some westeners) stop using what little brain they have...evidence the hundreds of road deaths of not only the idiots but the innocents as well.

whats with a little water?

Didn't you ever play with squirt guns when you were younger?

Riding a motorbike through a mob of crazies and wearing a nice suit in this atmosphere is probably not advisable. Sane people do not swim with sharks or jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

It is only fun if you like the idea of getting or slamming others with water with ice cubes in their ears as they plead you to not do it when they are wearing business clothes and are obviously on their way to a meeting.

Public events like this brings out the lowest people and gives them an excuse to misbehave.

Hahaha...ba humbug eh?

Time for someone to go home :)

whats with a little water?

Didn't you ever play with squirt guns when you were younger?

Riding a motorbike through a mob of crazies and wearing a nice suit in this atmosphere is probably not advisable. Sane people do not swim with sharks or jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

you clearly have no clue about anything. Don't you know, that water can be as hard as concrete...?

I once had to drive on a motorbike to my office urgently and apart from being totally wet and cold all the time I got fully splashed by actually nice, normal Thais who just enjoyed Songkran and for sure did not want to hurt someone - it was like a very hard whiplash all over the face, could hardly avoid an accident

Edited by Birdman

It is only fun if you like the idea of getting or slamming others with water with ice cubes in their ears as they plead you to not do it when they are wearing business clothes and are obviously on their way to a meeting.

Public events like this brings out the lowest people and gives them an excuse to misbehave.

Hahaha...ba humbug eh?

Time for someone to go home :)

Try replying to some of the other posters who have pointed out why its DANGEROUS when idiots throw water inappropriately.

As I said before, Songkran would be great if people used a little common sense.... but common sense (or the lack of it) is another topic. :D

Songkran is my favorite holiday, as winnie says I look forward to it yearly. Sadly I am stateside now and can't make it over until July. No idea when I can make the next one.

Get a waterproof camera or case if you want photos. Don't ride a motorcycle if you are worried about being knocked off, or just take a vacation away from the major cities. It's not that difficult to avoid.

If you cannot beat them, join them.

Took 2 days off, 12h of throwing water, drinking and dancing in a Bangkok suburb during the first day, slightly less hours the second day.

One thing I have noticed is that the further away from Silom and the Thai people and tourists hanging out there, the less chance of them not caring that one is dressed for work etc. Very anecdotal, but an observation anyway.

I know this is not a very orderly country. Maibelai sabai sabai and all that. I think this can be a fun festival but some people just take it too far. You know, to the point were its not funny anymore. Friend and I were dining indoors and this Khatoey came in and sprinkled a little water on us with a smile. Fine, no problem. All smiles. THen comes back and does it again... ok, drunk and milding amusing... Then we are leaving to get in our cars, gets my friend again and then shouts at me as I'm already in my car. shouting agressively is not part of maibelai sabai sabai... at that point I think, boring p_iss heads. just like anywhere else in the world.

THat said I am looking out the window now of an internet cafe and there is a shapely soaked lady shaking her thing and smiling and Its quite a pleasing view.

Songkran: Look but don't touch.

WHen I wanted to get we I did some yard work and had a little bonfire. got all sweaty and had a shower. That'll do for a boring old sod like me.

I was actually enjoying it. dressed in quick drying shorts & T-Shirt . No probs.

unfortunately I had to make an impromtu 80 km trip travelling at 80kph + on a motorbike yesterday, shaking my head vigorously and constantly worked most of the time, I was pleasantly surprised that most saw that I didn't want to play, the kids missed most of the time anyway as they couldn't understand why the bike had left before the water made contact. I did get soaked by a couple of drunken cretins though but all in all I was lucky.

It should say something that my thai male friends enjoy songkran in bangkok specifically and only because its the one time of the year they can freely grope multiple women in broad daylight. They make no secret of their reasons for enjoying the holiday.

I'm not a Songkran fan and I usually hibernate until its over. Songkran is one aspect of Thailand that is what it is and its never going to change.

Just imagine if you were back in the west and people went nuts during the first snow. Gangs of people throwing snow balls at cars, trying to get them to wreck, then laughing at the injuries. Asians behaving in the extreme, pelting every one they see, even though people going to work clearly "don't want to play."

Yeah, I know, "If you don't like it then F*&^ off back home...." :):D:D