Renewal Of Married Persons Extension Of Stay

Just a point of reference to the OP's original question about the "letter to prove you have not recently divorced."

The Kor Ror 2 technically is not such a "letter." Kor Ror 2 is the "current marriage certificate and its addendum."

As noted, to extend your marriage visa, the same documents are needed as when you initially applied.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Marriage certificate is Kor Ror 3

The ledger entry document is called a Kor Ror 2 and is now being requested by Immigration for those using spouse extension of stay (it was not required until recently and not even provided a decade ago).

Just take your marriage certificate along to your local Ampur. After showing your marriage certifcate, they bring up your details on the computer and give (sell) you a Kor Ror 2 certificate. I think it's only 20 bht.

Marriage certificate is Kor Ror 3

The ledger entry document is called a Kor Ror 2 and is now being requested by Immigration for those using spouse extension of stay (it was not required until recently and not even provided a decade ago).

Sorry 'loburi3' but just to be pedantic, when I got married in 1996 I was provided with TWO copies of the Kor Ror 2 at the same time as the two copies of my marriage certificate(Kor Ror 3). Up till now I have never had to produce the Kor Ror 2 when doing my yearly extentions but that could of course change at any time :)

You can still chose between 40,00 a month income OR 400,000 in the bank. The rules have not been changed.

If there is a problem with seasoning the money, you can always get a 60 day extension based on visiting your Thai wife, and apply for the 1 year extension at the end of it.

Can anyone confirm this is the case at the JomtienImmigration office recently?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I used the 40k per month income last couple of years, but the officer clearly told me last August that this would not be accepted next year(this August) & that the 400k would be needed in the bank, much to my dismay!

I could really use that 400k rather than it sitting dormant in a savings account!

Can anyone confirm this is the case at the JomtienImmigration office recently?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I used the 40k per month income last couple of years, but the officer clearly told me last August that this would not be accepted next year(this August) & that the 400k would be needed in the bank, much to my dismay!

I could really use that 400k rather than it sitting dormant in a savings account!

The rule is.

400,000 Baht in your bank.

OR.

40,000 Baht monthly income.

It has to be your income. Not your Wife's or joint.

Just take your marriage certificate along to your local Ampur. After showing your marriage certifcate, they bring up your details on the computer and give (sell) you a Kor Ror 2 certificate. I think it's only 20 bht.

I'm beginning to get utterly confused here with how to go about doing this, some posters say get a letter from the embassy, then get it translated, then take it to the MFA, then take it to some office where you live. This poster says (or implies) simply take your marriage certificate to your local office and they give you the end result without the hassle of going to Bangkok. I live in Hua Hin and don't particularly want to travel to Bangkok for a couple of days to get certain parts of this done if I can avoid doing so, so please all those that have had it done and honest answers only - local only or Bangkok first and then locally?

The above poster is talking about a marriage registered in Thailand - they did not give the KR2 in years gone past so some will have to obtain now to meet immigration requirements. Any office should be able to provide for recent marriages but old ones may require a visit to the original office if paperwork has not been entered onto the online systems.

If you marriage was registered outside of Thailand then you have to do through the additional steps to get it on the District Office ledger so you can obtain the KR2.

The above poster is talking about a marriage registered in Thailand - they did not give the KR2 in years gone past so some will have to obtain now to meet immigration requirements. Any office should be able to provide for recent marriages but old ones may require a visit to the original office if paperwork has not been entered onto the online systems.

If you marriage was registered outside of Thailand then you have to do through the additional steps to get it on the District Office ledger so you can obtain the KR2.

Many thanks lopburi for the clarification, I now know what I need to do.

However one last favour on the subject at least as far as I'm concerned, the lovely lady at Hua Hin Immi only asked me to have marriage certificate validated by embassy for my next extension but I will obviously go through the full process, but can you make it idiot proof for me; what exactly am I asking the British Embassy to do, is it to validate my marriage certificate I assume with a stamp on it and then give me an accompanying letter confirming the certificate to be genuine and that we are still indeed married. Do I then need to have both translated into Thai and according to another poster there are a great many eager people outside the embassy offering to do both the translation and then take it to the MFA - should I trust these people or do it all myself?? thanks for your help.

I was married here so have never done it so if someone has done please answer.

Embassy should know what is required when you tell them it is for your extension of stay. I expect anything not in Thai will have to be translated as District Office will want it in Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finalise this topic so far as my renewal is concerned.

I went back to Pattaya Imm on 3rd June fully expecting to receive another 30 day stamp as approval would not be back from BKK due to "disruption by redshirts" etc etc.

To my amazement, not only did I sit straight down at desk 5 immediately, the approval had been returned and my 1 year extension was stamped in my passport and I was out of the Imm office within 10 minutes.

Just goes to show that if you have the right paperwork and requirements at the right time you can get the right result without too much drama.