Retirement Visa And Bank

I will soon be applying for a retirement visa. Since one needs a Bank account in Thailand so immigration can check on the required funds, I assume this is reason enough for a Thai back to give me an Banking account. I have multi-entry non-immigrant 0 visa already.

I read constantly about the difficulties concerning getting a Thai bank account and all the discrepancies concerning obtaining an account at some branches.

I will be retiring in Phuket. Therefore I will apply at Phuket branch. Possibly Kasikorn. I would like a general savings account with a debit card and internet banking

Does anyone foresee any problems with this in Phuket

Kasikorn is generally a good choice as they have the reputation of being the easiest for foreigners to open. I also like SCB. You will probably be OK to open the account. If a branch gives you flack, just keep trying alternative branches. In the case you get have a problem (doubtful) talk to a real estate agent and ask them for their help to bring a Thai agent with you to open an account. They will probably do this for free if you are shopping for housing, if not, they may accept a service payment for that help. I doubt you'll need help though, but just in case.

Kasikorn is generally a good choice as they have the reputation of being the easiest for foreigners to open. I also like SCB. You will probably be OK to open the account. If a branch gives you flack, just keep trying alternative branches. In the case you get have a problem (doubtful) talk to a real estate agent and ask them for their help to bring a Thai agent with you to open an account. They will probably do this for free if you are shopping for housing, if not, they may accept a service payment for that help. I doubt you'll need help though, but just in case.

Thank you for your reply. And does both Banks have internet Banking and supply debit card for the account???

Yes, I think so. You may have some issues in the setup of the online banking though. Technical issues with using passport number vs. Thai ID number but if you do, the bank can help you out.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I think so. You may have some issues in the setup of the online banking though. Technical issues with using passport number vs. Thai ID number but if you do, the bank can help you out.

i myself am with Kasikorn Bank and the online banking is pretty straight forward all you will need to open an account is your Passport and a copy of your house address and only takes about 15 Mins to complete all paperwork involved.

When I opened my Kasikorn account before I lived here it was really easy and straightforward. Setting up internet banking was also easy and Kasikorn have some nice security features when doing online transfers/payments.

A couple of years ago I sold a house. The buyers had the money in SCB, Siam Commercial Bank. We went to their branch and the staff were concerned that I would be carrying quite a bit of cash to my Kasikorn Bank. Their solution was to open an account for me. I explained that I neither had my passport with me, nor a letter from immigration showing my address. So, they copied my Thai driving licence and gave me an account instantly.

I have been very happy with Kasikorn and the service. I am equally satisfied with SCB. Both knock spots off UK banks.

Hope that helps.

I have an account (two actually) with Bangkok Bank.  I had no trouble opening them.  I think all I needed was my passport.

Bangkok Bank also have internet banking available and can supply either a standard ATM card or a Visa Debit card.  I think as long as you do not have a tourist visa, they won't give you any flak.  I know for internet banking I had to show them my non-immigrant visa.

I am not sure if a time deposit account will fulfill their requirements. As I read on ThaiVisa in the past, they actually look at your savings book for movements / activities. They want to see occasional deposits and withdrawls too. In other words, the "normal" financial activities that a legitimate account holder would have. Otherwise, they assume that you have other sources of income which is not entered into your book, such as illegal work activity.

I just renewed my retirement visa. Photo copy each page of your savings book and each page of your passport. They wante that from me. Also, get the standard letter of verification from your bank (tell the bank it is for Immigration), verifying the amount you have. It is best to have the bottom line in your book match the amount in the letter of verification. So if you need to take any money from your account, do it before asking for the letter, and update the passbook. One of those beaurocratinh idiosincrasies...

I am not sure if a time deposit account will fulfill their requirements. As I read on ThaiVisa in the past, they actually look at your savings book for movements / activities. They want to see occasional deposits and withdrawls too. In other words, the "normal" financial activities that a legitimate account holder would have. Otherwise, they assume that you have other sources of income which is not entered into your book, such as illegal work activity.

I just renewed my retirement visa. Photo copy each page of your savings book and each page of your passport. They wante that from me. Also, get the standard letter of verification from your bank (tell the bank it is for Immigration), verifying the amount you have. It is best to have the bottom line in your book match the amount in the letter of verification. So if you need to take any money from your account, do it before asking for the letter, and update the passbook. One of those beaurocratinh idiosincrasies...

where did you renew please?

I always had the impression that the 800K baht had to be a passbook savings account.

Recently reps at two banks said a time deposit account which pays higher interest is OK for Immigration.

Is this so?

It sounds as though you intend to deposit the 800k in a time deposit in order to meet visa renewal requirements only and that you will use a different account/funds for monthly living expenses? That being the case then Phuket Immigration will not have a problem with that set up. Regardless of how you chose to handle things, be prepared to show the 800k and to show monthly transactions that reflect living expenses - those two items can be separate accounts or part of the same account, up to you! In my case they form part of the same account and each year in Phuket I give Immigration the original copy of my bank statements for the past twelve months thus proving the 800K and the expenses cash flow.