Central World Plaza Closed...must I Pay My Staffs?

As we know the Red Shirts have caused Central World Plaza to be closed for the past week.

Since the closure is beyond anyone's control, must I pay my employees for the days that they didnt go to work due to the closure?

Not the employees' fault either so why would they get penalized?

no dont pay them, its not your fault, they dont work they dont get paid, if they have a problem tell them to take it up with their fellow countrymen. Im pretty sure a Thai wouldnt be paying them

Generally when Thai employees suffer loss due to a 3rd party problem or interference, the employer does not move in to take up the slack. Here, it's more like every man for himself, unlike the nanny states most of us come from.

What salary do you pay them anyways you sick fuk? 4000 - 6000 baht per month. Thai minimum wage is 220 baht per day. You can't afford that you shouldnt be here. You make me sick to my stumac.

I suggest you get on stage at Phan Fah and tell the red shirts to pay your measly salaries to your workers and see what they think of you.

no dont pay them, its not your fault, they dont work they dont get paid, if they have a problem tell them to take it up with their fellow countrymen. Im pretty sure a Thai wouldnt be paying them

not the employers fault so why should he have to pay..., hotels arent refunding farang tourists...

It is most Honourable to Just PAY them.(Period) Plus do yourself a favour. Go to the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare. Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare. Mitmaitri Road, Dindaeng, BKK 10400. Tel: 0-246-6101-2. Ask for a copy of the Labour Protection Act B.E. 2541 or if applicable most updated copy(English Translation) Read it, remember it and keep it for future reference.

not the employers fault so why should he have to pay..., hotels arent refunding farang tourists...

Funny that, I seem to remember being refunded via my credit card for hotel bookings made in Bangkok and Pattaya and then cancelled due to airport closure 2008.

As for paying the staff OP, are they red or yellow...

Edited by MB1

I agree by Farang standards it is honorable to pay them but loyalty to Farangs is not a Thai strong point. I'm sure they would appreciate being paid yet I don't think it will make them better workers in the long run.

Ignoring the obviously inflammatory posters here, my understanding is that you are not required to pay Thai staff for days where the business is closed if you traditionally pay them based on days worked. If they are on a monthly salary, then you must still pay them their monthly salary. You are not allowed to prorate. I would appreciate a correction from someone if I have not correctly interpreted the law.

Factories close for several days at a time all over Thailand and the workers do not receive pay simply because there is no work to be done. This situation is no different.

It is not immoral to withhold payment in this case. Most businesses will be doing exactly that. In fact, the business owner will most likely not receive a break on the rent, so it is only fair that the employees share in this burden.

Everyone has suffered from the red shirt riots. The employees will all understand and be expecting it.

Putting aside the law, how do you feel? what do you want to do?

Consider some facts. If you do not pay them and they resign. How quickly can you find new staff? How much time and money will it cost you to train them?

I think paying, would not only save you money in the long run, but also earn some good points with the staff.

Besides few thousand baht will not break your bank but will save lots of headaches.

If you business have hardship with cash flow, do a agreement with them, some cash now and catch up as soon as possible for the balance, if you a good boss, they will accept it!

by the way are you paying the rent for this closure ?

Edited by simcity

Consider some facts. If you do not pay them and they resign. How quickly can you find new staff? How much time and money will it cost you to train them?

I think paying, would not only save you money in the long run, but also earn some good points with the staff.

Besides few thousand baht will not break your bank but will save lots of headaches.

Thank you Kufki, for a good answer.

As for the others: tb86,richardt1808,garryp, britmaverick,jingthing,thailandbluegrass,dragonquest,traxster. Why do you write all that useless stuff? It's not even funny. Do you run a business in Thailand?

Why don't you buy a watergun and go and play Songkran?

IMHO you should pay them. Think of it as an insurance policy for the inevitable backlash against "ruling class", business owners and farang that lies down the road that the country is heading down at a rapid rate at the moment.

Thank you Kufki, for a good answer.

As for the others: tb86,richardt1808,garryp, britmaverick,jingthing,thailandbluegrass,dragonquest,traxster. Why do you write all that useless stuff? It's not even funny. Do you run a business in Thailand?

Why don't you buy a watergun and go and play Songkran?

aaah, well dude i happen to have 2 buisness in central world , 1 in gaysorn, and one in central changwattana, and one could say im fairly well versed in thai labor law... having 35++ employees, 24 or so of them employed inside ctw... And yeah go ahead and dont pay them,,, see what happens. Maybe you get away with it, maybe you employees report you, or help themselves to some of your product/till.... Or you could be a big boy and operate your buisness with the understanding that sometimes your gonna get screwed out of a few grand here and there... If your cashflow isnt strong enough to take a hit as minor as this then well you have much bigger issues.. And im willing to bet 99% of the buisness in the area are paying their employees.. As much as its not my fault that the protestors shut us down it is equaly not my employees fault. If presedence is set that buisness owners may bring damage claims against the red shirt leaders/organizers then im all in on that...i question that you actualy run a buisness in thailand though

come to think of it, did you even read my first reply or are you really that dim?

Edited by tb86