Airport Experience, Taxi Meter Scam & Pattaya Buses

Hi. I've flown into Suvarnabhumi 3 times in the last 6 weeks. Here's my observations & hopefully some useful bits of information.

1st arrival was Etihad EY408 18.20 hrs from Abu Dhabi Sunday 28 February 2010

Noted several planes unloading at once. Walked past the 1st bank of immigration desks to the 2nd bank where there was hardly anybody. Through in minutes. On walking to the luggage conveyor could see the massive queue at the 1st bank of desks.

No taxi touts at all. Wonderful. :D

Got a taxi from the main stand headed for Soi Rang Nam near Victory Monument. (Sawaree Chai) Driver didn't speak much English. Made sure he put the meter on. After a while he took a phone call, whilst he was on the phone my attention was drawn to the meter. It had clocked about 180 bht and almost 30 kms already & we'd only been going about 10 - 15 minutes. I noticed it was clocking up in one baht almost every revolution of the wheels! One baht is wrong, it should go in 2's.

When he came off the phone i pointed to the meter & questioned it. Straight away he says,

"Oh sorry, accident. Never mind, how much you pay"?

Well i hadn't a clue but thought i recollected other posters mentioning under 200 bht into Bangkok, so i said 200 + 50 airport fee. He tried for 250 + 50 but i stood my ground. He accepted.

Turns out he was a bit thick & took ages to find the hotel despite asking directions from security at King Power. Drove round for 15 mins & ended up back with same security guard! Then i recogniosed where i was & took him straight there.

A few days later i got a decent middle aged English speaking driver & asked him how much from VM to airport, turns out i was bob on at 200 bht.

Anyway, HERE'S THE IMPORTANT BIT: after i drew his attention to the rip off meter. He kept fiddling with one of the electric window switches in the drivers door arm rest. So look out for that! In the end he turned the meter off. Probably didn't want me to see what it would have clocked!

I know i should have filled in & sent off the slip, but tbh, better things to do.

Next arrival was March 8 Thai Air TG 045 domestic from Khon Kaen. Arrive early afternoon.

Straight downstairs to door 8(?) where the public buses leave to Pattaya. One was just leaving. The guy from the ticket desk had gone outside to the bus. They woluldn't let me on without a ticklet & I couldn't find the guy = 1 missed bus :-(

Next one is a 2 hour wait. Sod that i thinks. So i get the free shuttle bus to the Transport Hub thinking the departures to Pattaya will be more frequent from there. Ha, not so. Had to wait for the next bus which then goes into the airport to collect & would have been the same one I would have caught had i waited. So, nothing gained, except a bit of time filled in.

I suppose i could have phoned Bell Transport bus service from the airport & asked what time their next bus was.

Be aware that the big public bus that goes to Pattaya from the airport (and the transport hub) DOES NOT go into the bus station on Pattaya Nua (North). It goes to a station at Jomtien. So, if you want Pattaya, you need to be ready to get off when it stops on Sukhumvit Highway at Pattaya Nua, Klang (central) or Tai (South). The ticket girl usually calls out the names of the stops. They will wait whilst you get your bags from underneath.

3rd arrival: Philippine Air PR732 Manila March 22 21.50 hrs

Arrived early.

Grabbed the bag & made my way briskly down to level one to see if i could catch the last Government bus to Pattaya at 10pm. (It was almost 10pm). Only to find the last one leaves at 9pm. :)

Upto arrivals. After discussions with several taxi drivers and much laughing at stupid prices, finally found one returning to Pattaya.... or so i thought. Agreed 800 + tolls.

We set off and i find out his English was not as good as it appeared. Now asking for 1200! Get stuffed, agreed price 800 + toll if you don't like it stop here & I'll get out. "OK OK" . Eventually agreed on 900 inc tolls.

So we set off but i noticed he didn't take the motorway. Turns into a dimly lit yard 5 - 10 minutes from the airport & i wonder what the hel_l is happening. Turns out to be a bit of a taxi depot. He wasn't going to Pattaya after all & I have to change car & driver.

After much protestation by me because the new car is not taxi plated I gave up & went with it. After all its now late at night & I just want to get my hotel . Very pleasant Lady driver. Automatic grey coloured Honda city. Her driving was, on the whole, very good. Didn't waste time but didn't abuse the speed limit either. Car ran very well & smooth. Her English limited but she did a good job. Had to work our way around Pattaya's one way system to get to the hotel which took a while. I was impressed & gave her 1000bht.

Leaving for UK 6th April.

Bell bus from Pattaya 3pm took just 1 hr 20 mins from bus station to airport. We used the new road out of Pattaya, the entrance to which is almost opposite the bus station.

I have an Etihad Silver loyalty card & have had for some time. Check in lad was very friendly & gave me an express immigration (emmigration?) lane card. Now what i wonder is why i have not been given this before when i've often had to queue for ages for emmigration?

I was through emmigration & bag scan within minutes of leaving the check in desk & must have been down stairs in the lounge within 10 minutes. Nice :-)

It occured to me that had i checked in online, it would have taken less than 15 minutes from getting off the bus to being in the lounge.

All in all, apart from the taxi meter scam, good experience.

OP wrote:

"All in all, apart from the taxi meter scam, good experience."

I've never had a bad experience getting out of or into Suv .... immigration, customs, taxi, left luggage, etc. ..... well except for this last arrival, standing in the taxi line and getting asked three times in three minutes by a drunken sweaty Brit, if I wanted to share a taxi to "puh-TIE-yer."

[Upto arrivals. After discussions with several taxi drivers and much laughing at stupid prices, finally found one returning to Pattaya.... or so i thought. Agreed 800 + tolls.

We set off and i find out his English was not as good as it appeared. Now asking for 1200! Get stuffed, agreed price 800 + toll if you don't like it stop here & I'll get out. "OK OK" . Eventually agreed on 900 inc tolls. ]

Was this at the official airport taxi stand? Thanks for the info.

I have an Etihad Silver loyalty card & have had for some time. Check in lad was very friendly & gave me an express immigration (emmigration?) lane card. Now what i wonder is why i have not been given this before when i've often had to queue for ages for emmigration?

I was through emmigration & bag scan within minutes of leaving the check in desk & must have been down stairs in the lounge within 10 minutes. Nice :-)

you get that VIP pass when you hold gold, so I guess the check in lad made a mistake :) , you also need gold to check in at business class desk.

Edit, to millard: he went UP to arrivals to negotiate with a driver dropping passengers, you can get away with 800B, downstairs they will ask 1500B.

Edited by tartempion

Be aware that the big public bus that goes to Pattaya from the airport (and the transport hub) DOES NOT go into the bus station on Pattaya Nua (North). It goes to a station at Jomtien. So, if you want Pattaya, you need to be ready to get off when it stops on Sukhumvit Highway at Pattaya Nua, Klang (central) or Tai (South). The ticket girl usually calls out the names of the stops. They will wait whilst you get your bags from underneath.

I don't know wihch bus you caught but every time I have got the Pattaya bus it has gone nto North Pattaya bus station.

At the airport go downstairs to the lower level, exit door number 7 or 8. The bus leaves from there. Desk for ticket is just inside.

Be careful when you go outside, the bus on the left also goes to Pattaya but is the one that goes elsewhere, the one on the right goes to the bus station.

Edited by BWPattaya

Interesting travel report from OP.

It's always best to get the bus to Pattaya if you can; however sometimes if the times are messed up you can end up waiting two hours which is sometimes difficult to do after a long haul flight.

It might be a good idea to use Mr T Taxi service (Soi Diana, Pattaya) if you arrive out of bus hours. They will wait for you with an idiot board with your name on it.

Sometimes, if I know I'm arriving late at night and I know I'm going to miss the buses and I haven't pre-ordered a taxi, I walk up and down the plane an hour before landing, asking if any one wants to share a taxi to Pattaya. I've done it three times and each time had a good result.

It does take a bit of self-confidence to do it, but it does work.

It's always best to get the bus to Pattaya if you can; however sometimes if the times are messed up you can end up waiting two hours which is sometimes difficult to do after a long haul flight.

It might be a good idea to use Mr T Taxi service (Soi Diana, Pattaya) if you arrive out of bus hours. They will wait for you with an idiot board with your name on it.

Sometimes, if I know I'm arriving late at night and I know I'm going to miss the buses and I haven't pre-ordered a taxi, I walk up and down the plane an hour before landing, asking if any one wants to share a taxi to Pattaya. I've done it three times and each time had a good result.

Is Mr T Taxi service still 1000 baht from the airport?

I have used Mr Thaweep in Soi Buakhao (in a little portakabin on the right from Pattaya Klang about hlf way down).

900 Baht Pattaya to airport.

Mr T is 1000 baht. If you plan on taking the bus but just miss it, or miss the last one it is worth calling Mr T. Twice they have found me a ride in under 20 minutes. Downstairs the taxis want 1500 baht to ride in a ten year old car with 500k. Mr T's cars are much nicer.

Cracking advice. But I never viewed them as idiot boards more like 'Smart enough to have booked ahead' boards. Shame I never seem organised enough!

I don't know wihch bus you caught but every time I have got the Pattaya bus it has gone nto North Pattaya bus station.

At the airport go downstairs to the lower level, exit door number 7 or 8. The bus leaves from there. Desk for ticket is just inside.

Be careful when you go outside, the bus on the left also goes to Pattaya but is the one that goes elsewhere, the one on the right goes to the bus station.

Interesting, thought there was only the one. Will look into this next time.

There are so many horror stories on rides from the airport to anywhere, I recently came back from Laos on a visa run, when I landed and tried to find a taxi I was told taht the fare to Bang Samak was BT700. I told the driver to just turn on the meter and we would go from there. He said the fare would be alot more than BT700. I told him I have lived here for awhile and lets go. My house is where the Bang na-Trat xpressway turns south towards Pattaya, 20 mins top. So I get home and the meter reads Bt280, it sometimes pays to know where you are going.

I have been giving my brother-inlaw some work when friends fly in from Korea, he picks them up from the airport and they all sit in the back of the truck with a iced down bucket of beer Chang, I don't what what they pay him for a ride to Pattaya but everyone is happy. He also picks them up for the return trip. Since the flight lands around midnight he doesn't have to miss work. The return trip is the same.

Mr T is 1000 baht. If you plan on taking the bus but just miss it, or miss the last one it is worth calling Mr T. Twice they have found me a ride in under 20 minutes. Downstairs the taxis want 1500 baht to ride in a ten year old car with 500k. Mr T's cars are much nicer.

MrT operates through this website:

MrT Taxis

MrT Taxis

Great info, thanks. As Proximity says, taking those taxis downstairs is a real crapshoot. There's been a couple of times when I thought I wouldn't make it to Pattaya.

I have been giving my brother-inlaw some work when friends fly in from Korea, he picks them up from the airport and they all sit in the back of the truck with a iced down bucket of beer Chang, I don't what what they pay him for a ride to Pattaya but everyone is happy. He also picks them up for the return trip. Since the flight lands around midnight he doesn't have to miss work. The return trip is the same.

So long as he & those riding in the back realise they are not covered by insurance.

i arrived on the 7th april and got a bus downstairs for 124 baht which stopped on the sukkumvit at the top of nua and klang and jontiem where the 24 hour foodland or foodmart is then on to chaiyapruk.

clean and aircon ----------------big saving over 800----1000 baht

you get that VIP pass when you hold gold, so I guess the check in lad made a mistake :) , you also need gold to check in at business class desk.

Edit, to millard: he went UP to arrivals to negotiate with a driver dropping passengers, you can get away with 800B, downstairs they will ask 1500B.

In fact you don't need a silver or a gold card to get a fast track immigration card with Etihad if you buy a business of first class ticket you will be getting a fast track card. I don't know when they start the fast track immigration at Suvarnabhumi but it has not been there for a long time.

I walk up and down the plane an hour before landing, asking if any one wants to share a taxi to Pattaya. I've done it three times and each time had a good result.

Are you the sweaty Brit 'SPEE' was talking about? I've had another (or you) Brit do the same to me!

Not everyone wants to go to pTYer. The shitehole of Thailand.

Edited by hunglikea

OP,

So which is a better stop to get down at Pattaya ? The bus station or at Jomtien ?

neither.

stop along the way,,,that way it is easier to hail an on[going cab to your final destination ...and at a lower fare too... :)

Interesting report of your experience. I fly in and out of Swampy 2-4 times per month and have never had a problem with the taxis there. Also just reached gold staus on Thai so check in and immigration is a breeze (normally 10 mins or so for the whole process). If you dont have a card or fly business to access an airport lounge, the Illy cafe (gate G??) has free wirelesss internet, good coffee, and good aircon (my biggest complaint with swampy is the poor aircon, some cafes are just too hot to sit down in comfortably).

I walk up and down the plane an hour before landing, asking if any one wants to share a taxi to Pattaya. I've done it three times and each time had a good result.

Are you the sweaty Brit 'SPEE' was talking about? I've had another (or you) Brit do the same to me!

Not everyone wants to go to pTYer. The shitehole of Thailand.

No, I'm not the sweaty Brit 'SPREE' was talking about.

It's funny how many people like yourself, enjoy slagging off Pattaya, but just recapitulating your previous posts, you admit to never having actually visiting Pattaya.

:)

Edited by syd barrett

MrT Taxis

I used Mr T in December. Great service, waiting right there for me with my name on a large card. 1000B. Picked us up at about 2:30am. We are using him in 2 weeks. 1200B for pickup at our place in Baan Amphur. Confirmed everything via email!