English Food

neilf

the banyan bar half way up soi chaiyapruk in jontiem---------opposite police box -----------serves excellent lancashire hotpot at 99 baht made by a man from manchester-----------been there many times always friendly place----------anyone else tried it

I had a hot pot in a bar/ restaraunt on the darkside, last month, came with a slice of bread, when I said I'd like another slice they charged me 25 Baht :) for one slice of bread!! Needless to say I haven't eaten there again. I'm not a sticky sh1t, but if I was charged 80 cents for a slice of bread in Australia I'd ark up, unfortunately there wasn't anyone who understood English well enough to complain to.

Probably that pricing comes from the mentality that one slice of bread is the same as one plate of rice, when actually we of course expect one portion of bread to be more than one slice or piece.

Your correct, although this bar is one of the golfing bars on the Darkside, Falang owners who are good guys ( I think :) )

Probably that pricing comes from the mentality that one slice of bread is the same as one plate of rice, when actually we of course expect one portion of bread to be more than one slice or piece.

Your correct, although this bar is one of the golfing bars on the Darkside, Falang owners who are good guys ( I think :) )

Gone native?

Gone native?

Yes maybe

I had a hot pot in a bar/ restaraunt on the darkside, last month, came with a slice of bread, when I said I'd like another slice they charged me 25 Baht :) for one slice of bread!! Needless to say I haven't eaten there again. I'm not a sticky sh1t, but if I was charged 80 cents for a slice of bread in Australia I'd ark up, unfortunately there wasn't anyone who understood English well enough to complain to.

So, you didn't have the balls to challenge anyone in the restaurant about this blatant overcharging/misunderstanding but you are happy to tell the world on an internet forum.

It was clearly their policy. No point in complaining. Best bet is to simply avoid places that displease us that way, and I see nothing wrong with talking about it on a forum either!

Edited by Jingthing

It was clearly their policy. No point in complaining. Best bet is to simply avoid places that displease us that way, and I see nothing wrong with talking about it on a forum either!

Same here, no point in complaining as you only getted slagged off either in the restaurant or here on TV. Best policy is don't go back and don't recommend it to anyone. Although I thought the purpose of the forum was to give people info like this based on personal experience. Would anyone still recommend a place that only delivered the goods after you complained?

I had a hot pot in a bar/ restaraunt on the darkside, last month, came with a slice of bread, when I said I'd like another slice they charged me 25 Baht :D for one slice of bread!! Needless to say I haven't eaten there again. I'm not a sticky sh1t, but if I was charged 80 cents for a slice of bread in Australia I'd ark up, unfortunately there wasn't anyone who understood English well enough to complain to.

I myself, have observed the high price of bread and butter in several farang style cafes and restaurants in Pattaya.

I don't avoid these places, because I just take along my own bread and butter in clingfilm, which I secrete when nobody is looking and continue to enjoy my meal.

You are well within your rights to do this. If questioned just feign an ad libitum special-medical-dietary-needs excuse.

:)

I had a hot pot in a bar/ restaraunt on the darkside, last month, came with a slice of bread, when I said I'd like another slice they charged me 25 Baht :D for one slice of bread!! Needless to say I haven't eaten there again. I'm not a sticky sh1t, but if I was charged 80 cents for a slice of bread in Australia I'd ark up, unfortunately there wasn't anyone who understood English well enough to complain to.

I myself, have observed the high price of bread and butter in several farang style cafes and restaurants in Pattaya.

I don't avoid these places, because I just take along my own bread and butter in clingfilm, which I secrete when nobody is looking and continue to enjoy my meal.

You are well within your rights to do this. If questioned just feign an ad libitum special-medical-dietary-needs excuse.

:)

good idea-----------i like it------------fight back

most problems are because lack of vigilance by farang owners who get lazy

the tara court breakfast a couple of months ago said " mushrooms " on the menu which turned out to be 1 small tinned one sliced up-----------complaining was ignored-------probably a fidddle going on in the kitchen and if boss or his friends eat there will be different-------they are clever you know !!

Same here, no point in complaining as you only getted slagged off either in the restaurant or here on TV. Best policy is don't go back and don't recommend it to anyone. Although I thought the purpose of the forum was to give people info like this based on personal experience. Would anyone still recommend a place that only delivered the goods after you complained?

I agree entirely. However, mistakes (genuine?) can be made and it is 'right' in my book to complain or least question the price.

There is another place that has opened on Chaiyapruek-1 Road called the 'Little Wales Restaurant'; I intend to check out ASAP. Here is a link to the Pattaya Daily News review:

Little Wales Restaurant

The owner looks like he could do with a good meal :D

owner of which one do you mean

Erm... The one in the quote (Little Wales).

Actually, I just read the full article and see that the guy has been seriously ill - so perhaps my remark was inappropriate :)

anyway that banyan bar on chaiyapruk 1 also has a variation on pea and ham soup--------------------pea and pork soup.

very hot and filling on a cold winters night. they do marinated steaks and lots of new dishes appearing

nice easy going place with one of the english bosses always there to make sure you dont get charged for extra bread !!

and a pool table and a car park------------------yippee

anyway that banyan bar on chaiyapruk 1 also has a variation on pea and ham soup--------------------pea and pork soup.

very hot and filling on a cold winters night. they do marinated steaks and lots of new dishes appearing

nice easy going place with one of the english bosses always there to make sure you dont get charged for extra bread !!

and a pool table and a car park------------------yippee

Just what we need in Pattaya - i think not! :)

Where, on Chaiyapreuk 1 Rd., are Banyan & Lil Wales please?

dont know little wales but banyan bar is on the left about half way up from jontiem beach road on the left on the corner of a small shop / bar complex