Can't Stand Fresh Coriander?

sbk

Well, you might have a good scientific reason!

Cilantro Haters, It’s Not Your Fault

Flavor chemists have found that cilantro aroma is created by a half-dozen or so substances, and most of these are modified fragments of fat molecules called aldehydes. The same or similar aldehydes are also found in soaps and lotions and the bug family of insects.
The senses of smell and taste evolved to evoke strong emotions, he explained, because they were critical to finding food and mates and avoiding poisons and predators. When we taste a food, the brain searches its memory to find a pattern from past experience that the flavor belongs to. Then it uses that pattern to create a perception of flavor, including an evaluation of its desirability.

If the flavor doesn’t fit a familiar food experience, and instead fits into a pattern that involves chemical cleaning agents and dirt, or crawly insects, then the brain highlights the mismatch and the potential threat to our safety. We react strongly and throw the offending ingredient on the floor where it belongs.

I don't hate it but can't say I love it either. Now I know why. It smells like bug spray! :)

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who hates that stuff. If my wife forgets to tell the restaurant NOT to put it in my food, she has to spend 20 minutes picking it out of my dish. I then yell at her if she misses a piece of that revolting stuff.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who hates that stuff. If my wife forgets to tell the restaurant NOT to put it in my food, she has to spend 20 minutes picking it out of my dish. I then yell at her if she misses a piece of that revolting stuff.

So surely the taste of it in your dish revolts you and makes it unedible? Just picking the leaves out is irrelevant.

So surely the taste of it in your dish revolts you and makes it unedible? Just picking the leaves out is irrelevant.

They normally put a big pinch of that horrible tasting stuff on top of a dish, both for the taste and to be decorative. If it is carefully picked off, it leaves no taste. If it did leave a taste, I wouldn't eat it. If it were mixed in, it would be impossible to pick it all out, thus not edible for me.

Initially I found that it destroyed any food that it touched, but somehow I have developed a bit of an immunity to it, and I sometimes even enjoy it, sort of - well not really enjoy but not hate either. Maybe what i am trying to say is I can eat it without gagging.

Edited by canuckamuck

Initially I found that it destroyed any food that it touched, but somehow I have developed a bit of an immunity to it, and I sometimes even enjoy it, sort of - well not really enjoy but not hate either. Maybe what i am trying to say is I can eat it without gagging.

I cannot :D

Disgusting stuff, along the same lines as cauliflower for me :)

Y'all should try some of those Peruvian specialties which are cooked in a rich cilantro pesto. Really excellent stuff. How can you big boys be so afraid of a 'lil ole leaf?

post-37101-1271257734_thumb.jpg

Yup. I believe that pork in a rich cilantro pesto is gonna be the Monday Special at the new TPHOP (Tony's Peruvian house of Pancakes)...!

(PS- another vote for cilantro... delicious and indespensable in Thai, Mexican & other cuisines)

I'm with you there mate, next time she fails to pick a piece out, it's a divorce :):D .

Add me to the list of haters.

I get so bored with having to repeat twice or three times with the waitress that i don't want it - perhaps a tattoo on the forehead might be the way to go. If you only tell them once they are likely to forget, and then when the dish comes it is pretty much inedible.

To add to my fussiness, i have now adopted a policy of not taking garlic with my food. As much as i love the stuff in most Western food, the Thai habit of throwing big chunks in does not taste good to me.

Y'all should try some of those Peruvian specialties which are cooked in a rich cilantro pesto. Really excellent stuff. How can you big boys be so afraid of a 'lil ole leaf?

post-37101-1271257734_thumb.jpg

I really enjoy cilantro.There is a Peruvian chicken soup made with it.The soup water is green because of the amount of cilantro in it.The Peruvian hot sauce that is green is made with cilantro and is very hot and taste fantastic!!So many dishes would not be the same without it.If you use to much of it though the dish will have a sweet taste to it.I have to have my cilantro. :)