Thai Tourism Stimulus Measures Extended

webfact

Thai Tourism stimulus measures extended

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Ministry of Tourism and Sports has extended tourism stimulus measures for one year until 31 March 2011 to assist tourism related entrepreneurs who were affected from the demonstration of the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa announced on Thursday that the ministry has resolved to extend the assistance measures to help tourism related entrepreneurs while road show activities must be organized on a continuous basis to further stimulate tourism.

The stimulus measures include the exemption of visa fees for foreign tourists, travel insurance for foreign tourists of not more than 10,000 USD, low interest rate loans, and extension of loan payment periods.

However, Mr Chumpol voiced concerns with the target of 15.5 million international tourists for this year. He said more incentives must be made with cooperation from airlines and tourism related entrepreneurs to boost the number of tourists in exchange with public relations assistance.

The minister added that the number of tourists travelling into Thailand at airports in general have not decreased, but on the other hand, is more than the number in the same period last year because the figure last year was very low.

Mr Chumpol admitted that tour bookings in Bangkok would be affected from the mass rally of the UDD now taking place at Ratchaprasong Intersection. However, those in other areas, especially in the southern islands of Phuket and Samui would not be affected.

source: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304150019

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-04-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just me or is this the worst timed announcement ever?

They would be better of marketing it as an opportunity to witness violent protests up close from the comfort of your hotel.

Gas masks are available from the concierge at extra cost.

Rediculous.

They would be better of marketing it as an opportunity to witness violent protests up close from the comfort of your hotel.

Rediculous.

and bullet proof vests etc etc!!

Savannakhet in Lao, the thai embassy there said there were no free visa's this year, even though I tried to have it out with em. Pick it up on Monday so I will show them the news of the ministry website, and hopefully they might refund me.

I still take bets that you wont get a refund.

BTW, Savannakhet is already infamous for not following the foreign secretaries orders.

perhaps it would help if the ministry would actually INFORM their embassies first before announcing free visas....havent heard of anyone getting a free t.v. since it supposedly came into effect...chances of a refund on being charged in the last two weeks? zero :)

Savanakhet used to always give me double entry visas when I went there a couple of years ago. They would request a bank book or two, so that they knew I had enough money to stay for a while, but that was it.

They were very easy, and I did pay for the visas. I am sure this was all before the free visa anouncements came out.

I handed in my passort to the Thai embassy in PP on the 5th of this month and paid &70 for a double entry.

TALKING ABOUT VISA and SAVANNAKHET in LAOS.....

I was there a week or so ago to get my visa extended and indeed a man I met there and I doubted a lot whether we had to pay the 1000 BHT for our visa or not.

And, although rumors were out there already that most likely the Ministry of Tourism and Sport would extend the exemption, in order not to get into discussions with the staff there we paid eventually.

The unfair and dubious thing is that we did not get any payment receipt and this made us really wonder.

Was internally the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet already known that visa had to be given out for free?

Mmhhhhh...!?!??!?!?

A 1000 BHT is not a big deal, but still....

the article said,

"The stimulus measures include the exemption of visa fees for foreign tourists, travel insurance for foreign tourists of not more than 10,000 USD, low interest rate loans, and extension of loan payment periods."

Is this just an unclear statement or can a tourist get a low interest loan? Sign me up!

btw, i think logbags a few post above got it right.

Rediculous.

Friend went to Vientianne last week to apply for a double entry tourist visa.

He was told the same thing, everyone had to pay for the visa, he didn't have enough cash and came back with a single entry visa.

(Fancy believing the embassies & consulates in this region would do as they were instructed - pah!)

about as stimulating as a 20 stone fat bird!

the thai tourist 'think tank' must be absolutely bereft of any and i mean any ideas!!

the state enterprise body known as TAT ''the tourism authority of thailand' would have to be one of the most inefficient missmanaged organizations in the country and their major claim to fame is that they can spend huge amounts of money of overseas road shows and attending tourism and travel fairs which cost a fortune to set up and are staffed with people who have no idea about marketing or anything related to tourism for that fact -staff are even sent off overseas to attend seminars about -wait for it women in transport - TAT has never been the same since Khun Serie Wangpaiget was the governor - since then there have been some really terrible ones and one who is now facing charges in the US related to corruption concening the bkk flim festival - another one closed down the most effecient tourism college that TAT operated in Bangsaen - HTTI - which produced well trained students for the hospitality industry - hotel would be asking for students from here even before Ithey had graduated as they knew of the quality of training - i speak from experience after spending 5 years working for TAT and i cant write here what i have seen and observed - and the brilliant idea of the gold card etc - well we all know how that ended up = its gonna take a whole lot more than throwing dollars at marketing to attract tourists here now - and one more thing - you have to ask why the lovely calendars that TAT give out were for a long period of time - printed in the US = take a trip also down to Bangsaen and see the school complex sitting empty and dle and just after a lot of new equipment for the school had been ordered and supplied under a funding program from the Japanese govt know as the SIP PROJECT a- the new building there was only finished 18 months before the school was closed - and then drive up to the mountain - and see all the lovely building their with the wonderful views all over the area and seas and also sitting empty -just the odd security guard and monkeys - millions and millions of baht just wasted --- and the list goes one - i could write a book about it -- and perhap will one day - haaa

Rediculous.

He was told the same thing, everyone had to pay for the visa, he didn't have enough cash and came back with a single entry visa.

(Fancy believing the embassies & consulates in this region would do as they were instructed - pah!)

Your still hasing over an old topic. thats old news get with the future.

perhaps it would help if the ministry would actually INFORM their embassies first before announcing free visas....havent heard of anyone getting a free t.v. since it supposedly came into effect...chances of a refund on being charged in the last two weeks? zero :)

since when where transvestites free?? only joking!

the thai tourist 'think tank' must be absolutely bereft of any and i mean any ideas!!

the state enterprise body known as TAT ''the tourism authority of thailand' would have to be one of the most inefficient missmanaged organizations in the country and their major claim to fame is that they can spend huge amounts of money of overseas road shows and attending tourism and travel fairs which cost a fortune to set up and are staffed with people who have no idea about marketing or anything related to tourism for that fact -staff are even sent off overseas to attend seminars about -wait for it women in transport - TAT has never been the same since Khun Serie Wangpaiget was the governor - since then there have been some really terrible ones and one who is now facing charges in the US related to corruption concening the bkk flim festival - another one closed down the most effecient tourism college that TAT operated in Bangsaen - HTTI - which produced well trained students for the hospitality industry - hotel would be asking for students from here even before Ithey had graduated as they knew of the quality of training - i speak from experience after spending 5 years working for TAT and i cant write here what i have seen and observed - and the brilliant idea of the gold card etc - well we all know how that ended up = its gonna take a whole lot more than throwing dollars at marketing to attract tourists here now - and one more thing - you have to ask why the lovely calendars that TAT give out were for a long period of time - printed in the US = take a trip also down to Bangsaen and see the school complex sitting empty and dle and just after a lot of new equipment for the school had been ordered and supplied under a funding program from the Japanese govt know as the SIP PROJECT a- the new building there was only finished 18 months before the school was closed - and then drive up to the mountain - and see all the lovely building their with the wonderful views all over the area and seas and also sitting empty -just the odd security guard and monkeys - millions and millions of baht just wasted --- and the list goes one - i could write a book about it -- and perhap will one day - haaa

they couldnt organise a bang in bangkok!!!

they couldnt organise a bang in bangkok

marketing - thailand = funny oxymoron

why dont they employee some 'expensive' farangs to sort all this out. people who understand marketing and the western world. As you have stated they have wasted millions. Nip it in the bud and get some professional objective intelligent people involved. This country is so insular it is going to get left behind. Wake up Thailand before Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia sweep you away.

A few thoughts on replys posted to this announcement. Not 'rediculous' at all- free visas work fine for me. On the comment about Savannakhet-I would bet big bucks that your comment that they are uninformed about the free visa extension is pure speculation. Tune in a football game and go back to slurping your beers.

'

why dont they employee some 'expensive' farangs to sort all this out. people who understand marketing and the western world. As you have stated they have wasted millions. Nip it in the bud and get some professional objective intelligent people involved. This country is so insular it is going to get left behind. Wake up Thailand before Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia sweep you away.

The reason that they don't employ Farangs to help out is that they would have to admit they can't do it themselves and thats never gonna happen.

I do not believe the utmost stupidity that Thai lawmakers are showing. At first we get an man without a brain (Kasit) who himself is charged with economic terrorism who is accusing his opponents during a diplomatic meeting of terrorism. Yesterday we get the finance minister telling the world that bangkok is not safe because of militias and terrorists. Todat we find all over the net great clips in which protestors get killed in cold blood; (http://www.liveleak.com/player4.swf?config=http://www.liveleak.com/flash_config_new2.php?token=f44_1271214688%26embed=1) and now we are going to promote tourism by giving away free visas.

Now the Thai army had to admit that they killed people and given the fact that the Thaiu government is using the "T" word whenever they think it might bring them sympathy it is no time for tourism promotions.

Just announce that new elections will be hold not in 9 not in 6 but in 3 months and than you might be able to recoup what Suthep and Prayuth has destroyed within a few hours.

Savannakhet in Lao, the thai embassy there said there were no free visa's this year, even though I tried to have it out with em. Pick it up on Monday so I will show them the news of the ministry website, and hopefully they might refund me.

Good luck :)

Rediculous.

Your still hasing over an old topic. thats old news get with the future.

OK, err, but why is Vientianne old news but Savannakhet isn't?

I don't have to do visa runs, but was just telling what happened to someone else.

Am I missing the point here?

I do not believe the utmost stupidity that Thai lawmakers are showing. At first we get an man without a brain (Kasit) who himself is charged with economic terrorism who is accusing his opponents during a diplomatic meeting of terrorism. Yesterday we get the finance minister telling the world that bangkok is not safe because of militias and terrorists. Todat we find all over the net great clips in which protestors get killed in cold blood; (http://www.liveleak.com/player4.swf?config=http://www.liveleak.com/flash_config_new2.php?token=f44_1271214688%26embed=1) and now we are going to promote tourism by giving away free visas.

Now the Thai army had to admit that they killed people and given the fact that the Thaiu government is using the "T" word whenever they think it might bring them sympathy it is no time for tourism promotions.

Just announce that new elections will be hold not in 9 not in 6 but in 3 months and than you might be able to recoup what Suthep and Prayuth has destroyed within a few hours.

You are right but that is not Thai Elite logic.Why are they scared of an election?

Wake up !! - too late ............. along time ago,,,

true oxymoron = Thailand + marketing Skills