Lights Out As Nation Starts Mass Saving Energy

george

Lights out as nation starts mass bid to save energy

BANGKOK: -- Households and businesses across the country turned off lights and turned down their air conditioners today, as the government launched a mass energy conservation campaign aimed at saving the country billions of baht in fuel imports each year.

From the North to the South, from the East to the West, members of the public showed their commitment to cutting down on fuel use.

In the southern province of Surat Thani, Provincial Governor Wichit Wichaisan said that he had ordered all government offices to switch off unnecessary lights and to switch off air conditioners from time to time, while households and the private sector had been urged to save fuel in a bid to cut the province's fuel bills by at least 15 percent.

By last night, shops, companies, banks and petrol stations were already beginning to switch off advertising lights across the province, which in April saw record electricity use.

In nearby Phuket Province, Governor Udomsak Assavarangura said that all parties were participating in the 'Thai Force - Save Energy Day' today, with a three-point plan urging motorists not to drive above 90 kilometres per hour, to switch off air conditioners during the lunch break, and to switch off at least one light at home at 20.45 hours this evening.

In the northern province of Chiang Rai, meanwhile, Pol. Col. Chamnong Kaewsiri, commander of the provincial police force, said that he had ordered all 18 police stations under his jurisdiction to save energy.

And in the north-eastern province of Kalasin, traffic police were campaigning to ensure that motorists did not drive above 90 kilometres per hour.

It was also noticeable that larger numbers of people than normal were using public transport, with the result that many of the province's roads were virtually empty and petrol stations were reporting a 50 percent drop in sales.

Reporters in the eastern province of Rayong found that government offices were not switching on their air conditioners until 10.00hrs, and were switching them off again during the lunch hour, instead leaving windows open to catch the breeze.

The mass energy saving campaign comes at a time when the government is desperately trying to save money on expensive fuel imports, which have contributed to Thailand's current account deficit.

--TNA 2005-06-02

its sounds good, even in my place I did turn off my lights last night :o while I am watching the graph of electric usage in the TV countdown by Mr. Prime minister.

But, I hope when the people are turning "off" their lights and airconditioners at once and turning "on" afterwards won't affect the goverment sub station overload protector.

In our office, the room is not fully close and insulated, once we turn "off" the airconditioners at lunch time then turning "on" again afterwards, I think it consume lot of power than we let it run continuously with the 24-26 degree thermostat setting. because it will take time to cool down the room again then the compressor should run until it meets the thermostat setting. I am not profesinal with this field but I come up with this idea logically. please correct me if I'm wrong. thanks. :D

es.jpg

Nationwide Energy – Saving Campaign (translated)

Objective: Reduce Energy Consumption in Thailand

Period: June 1, 2005 to August 31, 2005

Please adopt the following three directives as part of a energy-saving campaign introduced by the Thai Government:-

1. Switch off air-conditioners for an hour during lunch break (between 12:00 to 13:00 hrs)

2. Motorists should also drive at a maximum of 90 Km / hr to save fuel consumption

3. Switch off at least one light at 20:45 hrs.

Update:

PM satisfied with public cooperation in energy-saving drive

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has expressed his satisfaction with the full cooperation by Thai people around the country in a drive to turn off some unused lights, reiterating the government would launch a campaign to instill a sense of responsibility for energy conservation in a concrete manner.

The premier and his cabinet members, as well as representatives from state agencies concerned participated in the campaign on the "Thai Force - Save Energy Day" at the Government House last night.

They joined 14 million Thai households nationwide in a countdown for turning off some unused lights for five minutes at 20:45 hours as the launch of the campaign for continued energy conservation.

MCOT Public Company Limited (MCOT) and the Public Relations Department (PRD) jointly broadcast the countdown on their television and radio networks.

It found people around the country cooperated in the campaign by turning off some unused lights for five minutes.

Such action could reduce the electricity consumption by 702 megawatts, or 44,000 power units, and save 43 million baht per annum.

Should people switch off two lights for one hour per day, it would save 1.2 billion baht per year.

The premier said the government would attempt to instill a sense of responsibility for energy saving among Thai people.

All ministers and senior officials of various state agencies would be asked not to wear suits unless they joined official meetings.

He said it was necessary to seek cooperation from people around the country in the energy-saving campaign.

Should all Thai people cooperate, it would help reduce the energy import significantly.

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak said the first-day campaign received full cooperation from the Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), listed companies on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) and top executives of the capital market.

“It is considered a good start of the energy-saving campaign on 1 June, given the overwhelming cooperation in reducing power consumption in many offices and factories.

“The energy conservation should be a responsibility of Thai people in all segments, not an individual person,” he said.

Energy Minister Viset Choopiban said it could save the country up to 70 billion baht a year if the people in all segments joined in the energy conservation campaign actively.

In other words, it could reduce the energy consumption by 10-15% a year.

He said a joint public and private committee on energy conservation would be set up to help suggest business sectors what to do to improve the production process and factories to ensure efficient energy consumption. (TNA) – E005

--TNA 2005-06-01

its sounds good, even in my place I did turn off my lights last night :o while I am watching the graph of electric usage in the TV countdown by Mr. Prime minister.

But, I hope when the people are turning "off" their lights and airconditioners at once and turning "on" afterwards won't affect the goverment sub station overload protector. 

In our office, the room is not fully close and insulated, once we turn "off" the airconditioners at lunch time then turning "on" again afterwards, I think it consume lot of power than we let it run continuously with the 24-26 degree thermostat setting. because it will take time to cool down the room again then the compressor should run until it meets the thermostat setting. I am not profesinal with this field but I come up with this idea logically. please correct me if I'm wrong. thanks.  :D

I agree. Personally, I think it is just political gaming... As I understand it, most of our power comes from locally-mined lignite, and from the Lao hydro-electric facility....

Plus, turning off your electricicty does NOTHING to save electricity, or to save the government one baht... The electric generating plants are ALWAYS running, no matter what you do... And the unused electricty doesn't get stored, only lost.

The only thing you can save is your own money, which is a great idea, but that's not what the government is pushing. Why not?

The only other thing it might be slightly useful for, in my view, is to maybe slow the increase in electric use to some degree, meaning maybe that new generator construction might be put off for a few months, a year...

"Such action could reduce the electricity consumption by 702 megawatts, or 44,000 power units, and save 43 million baht per annum."

"Should people switch off two lights for one hour per day, it would save 1.2 billion baht per year."

The government should consider giving rebates back to the public from all that savings. :o

The one light off was useless as they aired a live tv program about it and everyone was watching. It should have been tv sets off for an hour, but then again, that compares to pulling the plug on life support for many.

Plus, turning off your electricicty does NOTHING to save electricity, or to save the government one baht... The electric generating plants are ALWAYS running, no matter what you do... And the unused electricty doesn't get stored, only lost.

Ajarn, this is not a correct statement. There is no such thing as "unused electricity" therefore it can't get lost, all production is used by someone somewhere it can’t just be pored into a hole somewhere. Sure generators are running but the amount of power produced is very much governed by demand and as demand increases so does the energy required:- Opening the water supply further on a hydro plant is the most environmentally friendly while shoveling another load of coal into a fossil fueled plant is probably the worst. Of coarse the reverse is in effect if the demand reduces. Usually there is one generator on a grid under demand control with the rest (that are required) running flat out.

The most efficient generator is one running under full load. If Thaskin can get enough people to reduce their usage to a point where he can turn off a generator then that’s where the savings will be. His biggest problem is one of logistics --- He hasn’t planned into the future and running out of generating capacity, He also has an issue with gas reserves up here in the North East, fields on the West of Udon are depleting rapidly.

Edited by bdenner

Surely running an electrical applience does not cause such a power surge or use as much electricity as switching off, then switching on again 5 mins later. Proof is that most light bulbs blow on turn on, not when they have been on a while. I would most definately say that everybody turning off and turning on at the same time would have been catastophic. As it was with only a few complying the energy loss was contained within the household that did. I would catagorically say that this absurd plan did more to hinder energy saving plans than to help them. But then I'm not Thai.

I got an earlier flight back from Chiang Mai last night just in case as a show of solidarity Thai Airways ordered their pilots to switch off all their planes for the 5 minutes shutdown.

That with the combined possibility of Don Mu.knocking out their systems I could visualise all these jumbos jets gliding (albiet very quietly)around the skys of Bangers saving energy while trying not to bash into the Baioke tower in the dark.

I would also assume that Suwanna could/may have provided an emergency landing field since i did notice a couple of oil lamps thouhtfully positioned near the end of their new runways. :D TIT

As it happened following a very pleasant 55 mins flight we then found that everybody who could afford a litre of petrol for their rust buckets had decided to go for an after work drive around the city.(end of month and payday :D )

Normally on a good night the taxi back to Sam Prat would take an hour at the most but Mu Wan...3 and a half.I even suggested to the driver that he might like to switch off his meter to save energy. :D

Velly Funnee :o

Ajarn, this is not a correct statement. There is no such thing as "unused electricity" therefore it can't get lost, all production is used by someone somewhere it can’t just be pored into a hole somewhere. Sure generators are running but the amount of power produced is very much governed by demand and as demand increases so does the energy required:- Opening the water supply further on a hydro plant is the most environmentally friendly while shoveling another load of coal into a fossil fueled plant is probably the worst. Of coarse the reverse is in effect if the demand reduces. Usually there is one generator on a grid under demand control with the rest (that are required) running flat out.

The most efficient generator is one running under full load. If Thaskin can get enough people to reduce their usage to a point where he can turn off a generator then that’s where the savings will be. His biggest problem is one of logistics --- He hasn’t planned into the future and running out of generating capacity, He also has an issue with gas reserves up here in the North East, fields on the West of Udon are depleting rapidly.

Thanks for your response and your explanation. Still, there is no big monetary savings since, on a hydro-geneator, for example, even if the output is adjusted, there is little savings possible if only one generator is output-adjustable while all the others run flat out 24/7... They always have to be prepared to open up to 100% capacity, since demand will vary throughout the day. And history tells that power demand is highly unlikely to go down. Demand will always increase as the world grows.

We both agree that the only way to 'save' electricity is to operate at peak effeciency. Maybe new construction can be delayed by turning off some lights... But ONLY delayed...

Obviously, we need to be looking at more hydro and other more environmentaly-friendly options, and less at fossil fuels. Not sure of the production costs for solar and wind now, but I'd guess it must be getting more and more price-competitive... Some parts of the world seem to do pretty well on wind power..

It's a typical public relations campaign by the President or Prime Minister to publicize energy savings. Jimmy Carter wore a sweater in the White House, while Nixon or Reagan had a roaring fire going in the fireplace while the air conditioner was on. Of course, those are legends, which is my point: people remember some stories, and may act accordingly.

If people realize that they have extra lights on, they might think about it all month long. I see two types of Thais here, like Americans back home: those that overdo things by turning off lights that they'll be turning on again very soon, and those that underdo things by leaving lights on for countless hours when they're not needed. At some schools where I've taught, the flourescents aren't that bright anyway, yet some teachers try to teach without them! I like my students to grow up without eyestrain.