Us Veteran's Widow's Pension

moradave

Will my widow be eligible for a veteran's widow's VA Death Pension?

I am an 80 year old Army vet of the Korean war and meet all qualifications.

My wife is Thai, 53 years old, never been to the US, has no Social Security number, and will have no income when I die. She does not want to remarry.

We live in Thailand, and I expect to die here.

The VA application form asks for her non-existent Social Security number. However it says nothing about her being foreign.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Where are you located in Thailand ?

There are several VFW Posts here in the Kingdom and they all have Service Officers that will answer all of your questions

Post 9555

Bangkok, Thailand

Post 9951

Bangkok, Thailand

Post 12074

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Post 10217

Korat, Thailand

Post 9876

Pattaya, Thailand

Post 10249

Udorn, Thailand

See http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=mbr.leveld...d=737&tok=1 Pacific Areas

Edited by Langsuan Man

Contacting the VFW is a good idea but who you should really get in touch with is the US militay retirement office in JUSMAG. I dont have their number but you can reach them by calling the US Embassy number, 02 205-4000 and ask for the JUSMAG operator and she can connect you with the retirees office. When Bill Dyste was running the office he was there 5 days a week but now that he has "retired" I think the office is only open on Tues,Wed & Thrus. They can help you. I think the widows pension is $661 per month. Good luck.

I agree with the JusMag solution and I think you should also make appointment with JusMag to get get your wife a ID card and get her listed on the DEERS program as soon as possible. Also not sure if you have her on your tax rolls but check with social security about any payments and what you have to do now to insure she is covered.

JUSMAG info here

RAO

The RAO division of JusMag is for retirees. The OP stated he was a Veteran, and did not mention anything about military retirement. I suggest the Op contacts his nearest VFW post in Thailand so the service officer can answer his questions.

Barry

Edited by barryofthailand

Sorry you are soooo correct

I believe that if you are married a minimum of 10 years she will get half of the amount he qualifys for. I looked it up a while back, but things change so you need to check any how. David H