Volcanic Ash Cloud Causes European Air Travel Chaos

astral

SkyNewsBreak: Ryanair cancels all scheduled flights to and from the UK until 1pm on Wednesday.

Yes..and other airlines now talking poss Thursday ...but who knows ?

all very well saying that they will take a chance (KLM-AF-BA) and try and fly through the ash but only takes one wee budgie to fall off it perch and its back to Monty Phy-thon albiet ....that was a parrot.Nort worth thinking about...isit

Whens the next ferry to Bangkok? :D

It's all well various airlines saying their doing test flights and the flights they have flown have had their aircraft return undamaged but just because aircraft can take off and fly around for a while and then land "doesn't mean it's safe", which IMO is the reason the airspace is still closed in many parts of Europe, many budgies "could" fall from their perches.

I wouldn't want to take a flight and nor would I want my family to take a flight when there is an increased chance the aircraft may crash.

Keep smiling those who are stranded and enjoy your unexpected holiday extension the best way you can, at least you now know that you won't have to pay for visa overstay if you meet the requirements. :D

Visa Waiver Fee thread/topic..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Immigra...Fe-t357348.html

Is the current volcano eruption the very first one since jet aviation was invented?

Very, very strange...

Time to don my Tin Hat me thinks, it's a conspiracy I tell thee. :):D

"Finnish fighter jets which flew through the volcanic dust covering much of Europe suffered damage and the air force warned Friday the cloud could have a significant impact on planes. The air force F-18 Hornet jets were on training flights in northern Finland on Thursday morning, when airspace was still open, and the engines were later found to contain fine, volcanic ash dust. "Based on the pictures, it was discovered that even short flights in ash dust may cause significant damage to an airplane's engine," the Finnish Defence Forces said in a statement."

http://conservativeamericannews.com/free-r...-volcanic-cloud

Edited by MB1

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SkyNewsBreak: Sky sources: BA test flight sent up yesterday has found no damage from volcanic ash.

Is the current volcano eruption the very first one since jet aviation was invented?

Very, very strange...

There has never been such a situation in Northern Europe before afaik.

Latest Nats statement..UK time.

"Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 1245pm

The Met Office advises that the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano is now less active than previously. NATS advises that the current restrictions across UK controlled airspace due to the volcanic ash cloud will remain in place until at least 0100 (local) on Tuesday 20 April.

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. We will continue to monitor the location of this ash cloud and look for opportunities to get aircraft moving again, whilst of course maintaining safety."

Edited by MB1

SkyNewsBreak: Sky sources: BA test flight sent up yesterday has found no damage from volcanic ash.

Very, very strange...

It's always good to have experts on the forum. :)

Not sure what to do.

I've been trying to contact emirates in BKK but there number is busy.

I have a flight with them leaving BKK 1am on the 21st. Then stop off in Dubai

and the next leg of the flight is to LHR. Will I be allowed to fly the 1st leg of the flight?

Will they provide accomdation if flights are not leaving for LHR for the 2nd part to LHR.

I have to fly from samui to BKK, so I don't know whether to stay here or make the move

and get the journey started. Any advice appreciated, as I can't get through to emirates.

Thanks

Can't be 100% sure but I work with someone whose sister is here on holiday in the same position as you. She's also due to fly Emirates back to UK via Dubai tomorrow. She's been told that the next flight she will get with Emirates won't be till the beginning of May what with the backlog and all. She certainly wasn't advised to fly the first leg to Dubai as there will not be any free accomodation there (or here for that matter). Her other alternative was to forfeit her Emirates flight and get another single ticket back to Athens, then boat up to Rome, then train up to France, and over by ferry. Seriously! I've got a friend of a friend in the Phillipines who has been told exactly the same thing and, as he is desperate to get back to work, he's going to do this Athens overland option - should arrive back next Monday if he leaves this Thursday. Like I say, this is just what I've heard so don't take it as concrete. Sorry I can't be more optimistic

I may not take the 1st leg of the flight as I don't want, to be stranded in Dubai. I have had no luck with contacting emirates. Will the

1st leg of the journey still be valid if i have not spoken to them about cancelling. Or will it be considered as a 'no show' and the whole ticket

become invalid? This is my delema. ""Should I stay or should I go now"". Abit of humour concidering the situation..lol

I think it would be very tough of any airline to consider a passenger a 'no show' during the first 48 hour window of flights beginning again.

It is a pity you can't get a telephone call through. have you tried calling different Emirates offices around the world?

UPDATE: Closure of German Airports extended to 2 am local time on Tuesday morning.

A plane carrying measuring equipment is supposed to start this afternoon. (Finally!) Volcano has reduced its activity significantly, according to an expert (Does it know about my flight Thursday evening? :) ).

Not sure what to do.

and the next leg of the flight is to LHR. Will I be allowed to fly the 1st leg of the flight?

Will they provide accomdation if flights are not leaving for LHR for the 2nd part to LHR.

I have to fly from samui to BKK, so I don't know whether to stay here or make the move

and get the journey started. Any advice appreciated, as I can't get through to emirates.

Thanks

1st, If your final destination is closed Emirates will not let you board.

2nd, your flight from Samui is not with Emirates and I would expect your ticket if transferable to have penalties.

My advice is to go to BKK, you should be able at least to live cheaper, and be available to fly at short notice if things improve.

It seems there is no help at present for stranded passengers but as I write things are happening, Easing for visa overstay’ers, swampy making space for stranded passengers with food parcels, talk of UK using Spanish airports as a hub and Bus or Royal Navy ships home.

Expect in the next day or so the start of emergency flights, these will probably not be free, but anyone taking this option should then contact their carrier and cancel their tickets and demand a refund (most carriers have already offered refunds).

Check the news constantly for updates; I do not know if anything is happening at or Embassies or consulates in LOS but if they are taking details of stranded persons then register, this will probably be the way to get details of "emergency flights".

Also check the FCO website for updates

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Can't be 100% sure but I work with someone whose sister is here on holiday in the same position as you. She's also due to fly Emirates back to UK via Dubai tomorrow. She's been told that the next flight she will get with Emirates won't be till the beginning of May what with the backlog and all. She certainly wasn't advised to fly the first leg to Dubai as there will not be any free accomodation there (or here for that matter). Her other alternative was to forfeit her Emirates flight and get another single ticket back to Athens, then boat up to Rome, then train up to France, and over by ferry. Seriously! I've got a friend of a friend in the Phillipines who has been told exactly the same thing and, as he is desperate to get back to work, he's going to do this Athens overland option - should arrive back next Monday if he leaves this Thursday. Like I say, this is just what I've heard so don't take it as concrete. Sorry I can't be more optimistic

I may not take the 1st leg of the flight as I don't want, to be stranded in Dubai. I have had no luck with contacting emirates. Will the

1st leg of the journey still be valid if i have not spoken to them about cancelling. Or will it be considered as a 'no show' and the whole ticket

become invalid? This is my delema. ""Should I stay or should I go now"". Abit of humour concidering the situation..lol

I think it would be very tough of any airline to consider a passenger a 'no show' during the first 48 hour window of flights beginning again.

It is a pity you can't get a telephone call through. have you tried calling different Emirates offices around the world?

I've only been trying the BKK office which seems to only have one phone number to try.

This is the lastest from emirates website so I will stay in samui now and wait for an opening;

Currently Emirates is not accepting any passengers for travel to European destinations (excluding Moscow, Athens, Larnaca, Malta and Istanbul) until the 21st April.

Passengers with flights who are departing from unaffected countries today but scheduled to travel via Dubai into the UK and Europe tomorrow will not currently be accepted for boarding from their departure country.

If you are in one of the affected European countries and your departure airport does open, you must hold a confirmed booking for that flight in order to go to the airport. You should not go to the airport if you do not hold a booking for that flight.

All passengers are advised to check the status of their flight before leaving for the airport.

The part about having a confirmed booking will apply to many leaving BKK aswell and if i can't get through to anyone to re-confirm

a new flight, my only option will be to go to the airport and speak to someone at check-in.

Edited by Noodles

Very, very strange...

It's always good to have experts on the forum. :)

Agree.

If we have here a pilot from Seoul/Tokyo - Anchorage,AK airlines who keeps flying near Kamchatka peninsula with it's 29 active volcanoes...

He could clarify the situation better.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

1st, If your final destination is closed Emirates will not let you board.

2nd, your flight from Samui is not with Emirates and I would expect your ticket if transferable to have penalties.

My advice is to go to BKK, you should be able at least to live cheaper, and be available to fly at short notice if things improve.

It seems there is no help at present for stranded passengers but as I write things are happening, Easing for visa overstay’ers, swampy making space for stranded passengers with food parcels, talk of UK using Spanish airports as a hub and Bus or Royal Navy ships home.

Expect in the next day or so the start of emergency flights, these will probably not be free, but anyone taking this option should then contact their carrier and cancel their tickets and demand a refund (most carriers have already offered refunds).

Check the news constantly for updates; I do not know if anything is happening at or Embassies or consulates in LOS but if they are taking details of stranded persons then register, this will probably be the way to get details of "emergency flights".

Also check the FCO website for updates

Thanks for your reply. My flight from samui is transferable at 500 baht per change. I will speak to BKK airways

again tomorrow if there is anything else they can do considering the circumstances.

I live in samui so the cost will be cheaper for me to stay here, plus I'm on a non O so there will be no overstays or visa

problems. BBC news is on 24/7 at the moment to keep myself well informed. I agree with you that being up there

will be to my advantage if things change for the better.

I will make my decision in the morning

Many thanks

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Latest from the BBC is that 7,000 passengers are waiting at Dubai airport for connecting flights. Others have taken hotels in Dubai itself so many hotels are now full. I would rather be stuck here than there.

NEWS:

Lufthansa is doing now 50 flights from Asia, Africa and US back to Germany.

They are flying on a lower level, below the s..t cloud

From their Homepage:

Flight operations is reinstated graduallyLast update: April 19th, 14:00 UTC (16:00 german local time)

This evening (European time) Lufthansa will reinstate its flight operations gradually. A list with operating flights will be published at this page.

Edited by goldfinger

I have heard that NATS have announced UK airspace will reopen Tuesday - Scotland 0600, Midlands 1200 and Southern 1800. Got this from an intl airline but not seen anything direct from NATS

Update - info confirmed now by General Secretary of Airline Operators Commitee for LHR. Times are GMT

Edited by Orac

NATS Statement 15:30 UK time.

"Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Monday April 19, 1530pm.

The volcanic eruption has reduced and the volcano is not currently emitting ash to altitudes that will affect the UK. Assuming there are no further significant ash emissions we are now looking at a continuously improving situation.

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday.

From 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Tuesday, Scottish airspace will be open, and south to a line between Teesside and Blackpool. Mainland Scottish airports will be open.

This is a dynamic and changing situation and is therefore difficult to forecast beyond 0700 local; however, the latest Met Office advice is that the contaminated area will continue to move south with the possibility that restrictions to airspace above England and Wales, including the London area, may be lifted later tomorrow (Tuesday).

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and review our arrangements in line with that. We will advise further arrangements at approximately 2100 (local time), today.

It is now for airports and airlines to decide how best to utilise this opportunity. Passengers should contact their airlines to find out how this will affect their travel plans."

NEWS:

Lufthansa is doing now 50 flights from Asia, Africa and US back to Germany.

They are flying on a lower level, below the s..t cloud

From their Homepage:

Flight operations is reinstated gradually Last update: April 19th, 14:00 UTC (16:00 german local time)

This evening (European time) Lufthansa will reinstate its flight operations gradually. A list with operating flights will be published at this page.

Interestingly, AFP news report and LH homepage contradicting each other with the report saying these flights do not constitute a restart of scheduled services but are just special permit (controlled flight by sight) repatriation flights. I do hope that things will improve on Wednesday. That fighter jet getting damaged is worrying but the military is not releasing where it flew and none of the commercial test flights so far experienced anything similar.

Airbus sent up an A380 over France and an A340-600 over Germany to test "the waters" and share their findings. Everyone wants to find evidence that it is safe to start flying again.

Everyone wants to find evidence that it is safe to start flying again.

Especially the Airline Companies, what started as a headache for them is now turning into a financial nightmare for them, it's costing them millions a day so their IMO going to try and discredit the authorities for grounding them and say the restrictions are too harsh, IMO safety comes before finance.

What a difference in just a few hours...

With emergency meetings of the Cobra Committee, European ministers running round like headless chickens, the Royal Navy sent to rescue tourists stranded on the Iberian Peninsula, Swampy offering hospitality, Thai immigration waiving overstay fines, arrangements made to use Spanish airports and transfer returning passengers to couches, ferries and/or trains.

Pity bureaucrats do not work weekends a lot of what has been achieved today should have been done Saturday now it looks like the Volcano and weather are abating and in a few days all will be back to some kind of normality.

Things look a lot better than 24 hours ago :)

From BA website

On Tuesday 20 April, we will aim to operate

* all longhaul departures that were scheduled to depart after 4pm and

* all shorthaul departures scheduled to depart after 7pm.

This will however be subject to the full and permanent opening of airspace.

Virgin Atlantic are also planning to operate Tuesday evening flights out of LHR.

Further news from BMI

bmi plans to resume UK domestic flights from London Heathrow at 19:00 BST 20 April, and from UK domestic airports from 13:00 BST 20 April. Customers are advised to visit the Flight Status page for travel updates and individual flight status.

From BA website

On Tuesday 20 April, we will aim to operate

* all longhaul departures that were scheduled to depart after 4pm and

* all shorthaul departures scheduled to depart after 7pm.

This will however be subject to the full and permanent opening of airspace.

Virgin Atlantic are also planning to operate Tuesday evening flights out of LHR.

And below also from BA website, latest update today 19:45 GMT, NATS latest update will be approximately 9pm UK time.

http://www.nats.co.uk/index.html

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/volca...no_home_bannerc

"We are working on detailed plans to help as many customers as possible who have been unable to fly due to the unprecedented circumstances that have faced all airlines operating in northern Europe over the last five days.

We have more than 80 aircraft and almost 3,000 cabin crew and pilots out of position overseas across our global network.

All of these aircraft will require detailed checks before they are cleared to enter service again.

Inevitably, this will mean some delays and we ask for our customers' patience and understanding in these very difficult circumstances.

Customers should check their exact flight details on ba.com and only come to the airport if they have a booking and their flight is operating."

Edited by MB1

Sorry to be the publisher of bad news as it did seem the situation was getting better, it aint me it's NATS "Honest", a later statement from them states, below....Monday 22:00hrs Uk time/GMT

http://www.nats.co.uk/index.html

Since our last statement at 1530 today, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is worsening in some areas. Based on this information, the situation for Northern Irish airports for the morning is uncertain, due to the new ash cloud. The latest information shows that Scottish airports should be available from 0700 and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change overnight. We will make a further statement at approximately 0300 (local time), tomorrow, Tuesday 20 April and again at 0900 (local time).

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

I'm trying to make sense of the latest statement (dated 19th) on the Thai IA website. This says on the one hand:

"THAI is prepared and standing by to continue operations to those destinations currently cancelled for when the Eurocontrol announces it is safe to operate again."

However it goes on to state:

"Thai Airways International is closely monitoring the situation which does not yet improve, therefore, THAI has to continue the cancellation of these nine routes from 19-22 April 2010. "

Can we assume that this means what it says, re the northern European services? I will be passing through the airport later today and will check. Don't know if anybody else has been in recent telephone contact?

Certainly looks like air travel has been put back on hold again from two reports I have seen today.

New ash cloud heading for UK

The volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading towards the UK.

BA had intended to resume flights from London airports today but last night it had to cancel those plans.

A spokesman for the air traffic control service Nats said: 'The volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100419/tuk-ne...uk-dba1618.html

Bad news for those who had their hopes raised by recent reports of travel restrictions being lifted :)

Reports are quite diverging now with Lufthansa's website saying:

Lufthansa has started operating again

Last update: April 19th, 21:00 UTC (23:00 german local time)

Lufthansa will operate its long-haul flights immediately.

This evening (April, 19th) all long-haul flights with only few exceptions as well as some intra-european and domestic flights will take place. On Tuesday (April, 20th) all long distance flights are expected to be operated on schedule. In addition on Tuesday morning single domestic and intra-european flights will take place. At present all other domestic and intra-european flights until 18:00 UTC are cancelled.

During Tuesday Lufthansa plans to expand its flight plan gradually.

What a nail biter...