Paypal Link Page: What To Do?

I want to pay for something online. Instead of the usual VISA/MASTERCARD page I get a PayPal page.

It seems I have to register first in order to pay by PayPal this involves giving my debit card details etc.

Are there any security pitfalls or dangers? I have never tried this before?

Thanks for any advice.

Also Paypal has a very efficient way to resolve conflicts in case you have been milked as was my case a few days ago when I downloaded software on a 14 day trial basis.

I noticed that the software was not useful and I uninstalled it but the company charged anyway my Paypal account for which I had given no instructions (I am still puzzled how they got access to my Paypal account).

Anyway Paypal cancelled the transaction within minutes after my complaint and reimbursed to money to my credit card...and then advised me to change my Paypal password.

There were many problems with Pay Pal in the past but since they were purchased by eBay they seem to have gotten their act together BUT, I would still only give them a CREDIT CARD as your payment option and not use a DEBIT CARD and I would still never give them Bank details