A Dryer Spell Until The 19th Or Not, Songkran Blues?

Jingthing

OK the official Songkran dates for Thailand are the 13 through the 15th.

Of course Pattaya's big day is the 19th (so perverted).

Anyway, any chance the next few days until the 19th will be a semi-dry period or am I dreaming?

Spelling correction -- meant Agoraphobia

13 April 2010

(Tuesday) Songkran

Songkran is the traditional Thai new year, generally celebrated as a water festival.

National Holiday

14 April 2010

(Wednesday) Songkran

Second day of this three-day holiday.

National Holiday

15 April 2010

(Thursday) Songkran

Third of the three days of Songkran.

National Holiday

Edited by Jingthing

No change: Do what I do; set the alarm for 6.00am and do your shopping then return home and watch TV.

Some get up at 6 am. Some are still awake then!

No car or I wouldn't care.

Edited by Jingthing

No change: Do what I do; set the alarm for 6.00am and do your shopping then return home and watch TV.

Some get up at 6 am. Some are still awake then!

No car or I wouldn't care.

Yesterday at 6am I nearly got drenched by some "still awake" revellers on my way to the gym. An hour later some early starters had begun.

shopping must be done latest on the 12th. Stock up frozen pizza, canned foods (beer in particular) and make sure that internet and UBC bills are paid.

Happy Songkran.

raro posting from his hotel room in Phuket...about 1,000 km away from the madness.

Don't know why Pattaya have the big celebration on the 19th??

Yes the same year after year, the tourists just loves it and have been on it from the 11th or 12th, pissing off many people :D .

I wish the water splashing was only 2-3 days but not likely to happen, the Thais driving around in their pick-ups armed to the teeth stopping at every bar for water war. :)

From what I understand, many years ago Pattaya would have Songkran after the festivities in other parts of the country so that people who wanted to avoid it would go there during the official days and then return home when it was over elsewhere. Pattaya would then celebrate.

Of course certain drunken losers began starting earlier and earlier as there were not enough people around to annoy during the official (in Pattaya) time, so now Pattaya has the longest "celebration" in the country.

Lucky you! cheesy.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Lots of people still 'playing water' today, but I managed to get a 6-mile walk in and only got wet twice. The important thing is my shoes didn't get wet--they are difficult to dry, and I haven't found any waterproof shoes I can use for any decent distance without getting blisters.

Tomorrow, I'm sure I won't be so lucky. Oh, I just got back and they are still 'playing water' even though it is dark out.

Lots of people still 'playing water' today, but I managed to get a 6-mile walk in and only got wet twice. The important thing is my shoes didn't get wet--they are difficult to dry, and I haven't found any waterproof shoes I can use for any decent distance without getting blisters.

Tomorrow, I'm sure I won't be so lucky. Oh, I just got back and they are still 'playing water' even though it is dark out.

Just an idea for you Jimmy. Around Buddha Hill you can get a 6 mile walk in anytime of the day without getting wet.

Edited by tropo

Just an idea for you Jimmy. Around Buddha Hill you can get a 6 mile walk in anytime of the day without getting wet.

Thanks, tropo, may try that out.

I just finished a walk there myself a couple of hours ago. Ironically I did get wet this time from the rain.

If you get sick of the Buddha Hill side you can walk under Pratumnak Road to the other side and you can go as far as the Helipad. The great thing about walking there is you won't have to worry about any traffic.

Edited by tropo

Well this is a first for ThaiVisa, a thread appealing for dryness in a time of aqueous mayhem and nobody had posted a "get a life and enjoy yourself" type reply..................YET!

I managed to stay dry yesterday as I was at work when it rained :D but then they don't do Songkran here in HCMC. :)

Great fun it may be but boring it gets and very quickly.

Perhaps the earlier rain showers dampened enthusiasm for water sports but I rode my bike from Pratumnak Hill and along 3rd Road to Carrefour at 11 am and back again at 1 pm and there were no people out throwing water.