Do Thai Men Pay Sinsot For Farang Wife?

Livinginexile

Thailand's golden couple, tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan and former Miss Universe Natalie Glebova, tied the knot in 2007.

He gave 200 million Baht SinSod.....plus a 3ct diamond ring and a diamond studded necklace

It must be a case of easy come, easy go. 200 million baht sinsod, thats is complete stupidity. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To summarise, is it safe to say that no farang wife has posted on this thread that sinsod was paid by her Thai husband?

The Thai tennis star paid his Russian wife a 200 million baht sinsot? I didn't know 'sinsot' was payable in Russia, but perhaps dowries (the same thing) still are? V odd.

Dowries are not exactly 'the norm' anymore in the West (even Russia I suspect), but perhaps he wanted to make the point that he could afford it?

As I said before - v odd.

Roy, I think you may be running a bit off topic here. The question was regarding Thai men and farang women and SinSod.

There's enough, in fact, loads of "I agree and don't agree about sinsod" within the forum on other pages. But as a note: Both you and your Thai wife don't seem to have much respect for or understand Thai tradition...if in fact, your/her statement is true (seems highly unlikely that statement in quotes coming from a Thai girl), and whether you want to believe it or not....most Thai families do have a lot of influence on their children..and Thai children have more respect for their parents than those in the west....but congratulations to you for beating the system (tradition).

Sorry, just got carried away. Back to the topic, I have a few Thai friends living with farang women and no, they didn't pay the Sinsod. Believe me, Thai men would avoid this tradition if possible even when getting married to Thai women.

Best regards,

Roy

I don't know how long you've been living in Thailand or if you live in the city, but after nearly 25 years of living here I have never, ever seen a Thai man try to avoid this tradition.....

I know a few and they did because they couldn't afford it and the now wives were also willing to help. They simply live with the girlfriends and went back to make a formal apology to the parents afterwards.

Best regards,

Roy

To summarise, is it safe to say that no farang wife has posted on this thread that sinsod was paid by her Thai husband?

The Thai tennis star paid his Russian wife a 200 million baht sinsot? I didn't know 'sinsot' was payable in Russia, but perhaps dowries (the same thing) still are? V odd.

Dowries are not exactly 'the norm' anymore in the West (even Russia I suspect), but perhaps he wanted to make the point that he could afford it?

Maybe it is...maybe it isnt....completely irrelevant as thought his Mrs was Canadian ??... :) .....if so guess the Canuk sin-sot would a couple of moose... :D

Maybe it is...maybe it isnt....completely irrelevant as thought his Mrs was Canadian ??... :) .....if so guess the Canuk sin-sot would a couple of moose... :D

What can I say? When I quickly googled her I gathered she was Russian. Canadians certainly don't pay dowry.....

I've posted this a gazillion times so I guess I will just post it a gazillion and one times.

I had no wedding. I did not want the 1500+ guest wedding expected, so we got married at the Amphur. No wedding, no sin sot. If I had wanted the wedding, I would have been paid sin sot, it was offered. So, before anyone goes on about how I wasn't given sin sot, please read my post again.

Thai men do indeed pay sin sot for Thai women. My nephew paid about 2-300,000 sin sot, plus gold. The money was returned to the young couple after the wedding. Additionally, they also kept the returns from the wedding, for which my brother in law paid.

My oldest brother in law did not pay sin sot for his wife. They did not have a wedding either. Thats the rules as far as I know them. No wedding, no sin sot. Most of the farang women I know do not have the big wedding and several I know have turned down sin sot as it is not in their traditions.

I've posted this a gazillion times so I guess I will just post it a gazillion and one times.

I had no wedding. I did not want the 1500+ guest wedding expected, so we got married at the Amphur. No wedding, no sin sot. If I had wanted the wedding, I would have been paid sin sot, it was offered. So, before anyone goes on about how I wasn't given sin sot, please read my post again.

Thai men do indeed pay sin sot for Thai women. My nephew paid about 2-300,000 sin sot, plus gold. The money was returned to the young couple after the wedding. Additionally, they also kept the returns from the wedding, for which my brother in law paid.

My oldest brother in law did not pay sin sot for his wife. They did not have a wedding either. Thats the rules as far as I know them. No wedding, no sin sot. Most of the farang women I know do not have the big wedding and several I know have turned down sin sot as it is not in their traditions.

That explains it then.

The farang men want the big wedding (understanding that without one sinsot is not payable). Consequently they have to pay sinsot.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

Edited by F1fanatic

I know of a farang married to a thai. Don't believe any sinsod was paid and as far as know, for at least the first couple of years of the marriage his ex mia noi was getting a bigger monthly "contribution" than the farang wife. But then she mothered his son, thats another story... :)

Seems it takes all sorts to make the world go round. They said it before and I'll say it again:

Mo' money, Mo' problems.

so less munney means less problems.

what an silly belief!

Actually, here, yes.

You don't hear of guys who came here on limited budgets complaining about losing thousands on missunderstood relationships. Seems only those with a bit of flash cash get schooled the old fashioned way. :)

Edited by Loz

Why is it only the Thai tradition that gets any consideration?

The Thai man would be entitled to a dowry.

Only if it were a farang female walking ATM :D

And how many farang females would marry an isaan lad they met in a bar wh was 30 years her junior? :)

I am on the floor. You are killing me!! When truth is stranger than fiction

I expect it would be too much for a Chinese-Thai family to accept a farang girl as a daughter?

Nah, this isn't the case at all. Not from what i've seen anyhow.

Me too. I have seen thai-chinese be especially fond of high education westerners be it for sons or daughters, although usually without the 30 year age discrepancy. :)

What can I say? When I quickly googled her I gathered she was Russian. Canadians certainly don't pay dowry.....

OR anything else if they can avoid it :D

I guess a resort on the beach has no value ?

Sinsod is a scam

My Nephew paid sinsod up the wazoo for his now wife

Ever since every time he sees his wife's family he gets hit

up for more money

Cut it off early and just day no

My three favorite words in Thailand

"Farang no money"

glad to see someone has taken the time and effort to learn the local language :)

Edited by JRinger

(F1fanatic @ 2010-04-16 16:05:07) *

I said in my post that had we had the wedding party sin sot would have been paid. I never had one, neither did sbk, therefore no sin sot but that doesn't mean it wasn't offered in both our cases.

I said in my post that had we had the wedding party sin sot would have been paid. I never had one, neither did sbk, therefore no sin sot but that doesn't mean it wasn't offered in both our cases.

Boo, I love your posts - you're always the kind reply to any post, but I repeat:-

"That explains it then.

The farang men want the big wedding (understanding that without one sinsot is not payable). Consequently they have to pay sinsot.

Suddenly it all makes sense. "

Boo, I love your posts - you're always the kind reply to any post, but I repeat:-

"That explains it then.

Suddenly it all makes sense. "

The Phitee Mun is the ceremony where the SinSod is presented to the parents, the big wedding party is different when all the guests give to the bride & groom an envelope with cash inside. But also, at the Phitee Mun ceremony, all the people present, usually just family and close friends, put money in a a big golden plate and tie string around the wrists of both the bride and groom and wish them luck....

and quite possibly, traditions are a bit different in the South compared to Isaan.

Edited by Tomissan

TBH the thought of having the ceremony 7 years ago when we legally married filled me with dread, like sbk my husband comes from a large family but also in a large town, there would have been so many people rocking up & gawking at the farang bird that I vetoed it. Added to that my family in UK wouldn't have been able to make it & that sealed the (no) deal for me.

We then decided to do it for our 5th year of marriage but the yellow shirts decided to protest & take the airport so my family, who were this time going to come over, got spooked & we canceled it. It's now coming up to year 7 without the party so we've just forgotten about it but possibly might do something on year 10 :)

And up here, sin sot is always shown on the day, usually before any blessings have taken place with only close family in attendance.

Boo/SBK, correct me if I'm wrong, I think there was a thread on the Ladies Forum awhile back on this subject, and in most cases sinsot was offered by the Thais grooms family, but not accepted by the western brides family? I think that was the case, but I'm too lazy to do a search! :)

I remember that thread too I think you're correct, they were refused by most although, like my inlaws, would have been presented for show as part of their tradition, then returned.

There are two payments, one upon engagement and one upon wedding day. We had no formal engagement and no wedding.

I was given gold by my FIL after we got married however.

However, as for the idea that it is the farang man that wants the big wedding, I do not know. I do know that the wedding industry in the United States is a huge industry, presumably because most women, thai, foreign whatever, do like the big wedding. I am the youngest of three girls and went through the torture of my older sisters' elaborate weddings. I had no desire to repeat it.

Among relative social equals, Thai-Thai, Thai-Thai Chinese, Thai-Falang (bride OR groom), I've only seen it as 'for show' then returned. This is mentioned by more than a few folks in just about every sinsod thread, but apparently this doesn't apply to a large number of folks hence there is rarely a consensus on the issue. It's like watching folks argue over whether they "should or shouldn't" get their plastic bag or rubber band back when they use food stamps at the supermarket.

:)

There are two payments, one upon engagement and one upon wedding day. We had no formal engagement and no wedding.

I was given gold by my FIL after we got married however.

However, as for the idea that it is the farang man that wants the big wedding, I do not know. I do know that the wedding industry in the United States is a huge industry, presumably because most women, thai, foreign whatever, do like the big wedding. I am the youngest of three girls and went through the torture of my older sisters' elaborate weddings. I had no desire to repeat it.

That's the point I was trying to make (obviously v badly).

If the sinsod(t) is dependent on having a big wedding then perhaps we ought to make this v clear to the men who keep querying how much they should be paying for their wives.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that they would rather not bother with the big wedding and paying sinsod(t) if they knew it could be avoided by just getting married at the Amphur.

Edited by F1fanatic

could be, I know for a lot of thai women (and the families) that the face gained by a wedding & sin sot/gold is still an important part of their culture, I would suppose that having a farang husband to be in the mix might influence the face gaining too. Proof that he is able to provide for his wife/of decent means?

For us (western women) it isn't part of our culture & therefore maybe we don't place so much importance on it (son sot) & if going through (the torture :)) of the thai ceremony, will just go along with what the thai family deems important. Me & Mr boo were never bothered but his mum is still making noises about it all these years later so we were going to have last years aborted plan to keep her happy,....but had plans in place for a major pissup after the pomp for us & our mates as compensation.