Why Do You Live In Phuket

petercallen

So....if your argument is true, no foreigners should be able to buy land in any country but their own. Have I got that right?

The poster was specifically discussing Thailand

Firstly there is the wealth issue. Farang could buy every inch of Thailand a thousand times over. Where would that leave the Thais? They would become second class citizens in their own country.

So you got it wrong.

Well WOOHOO you are sounding more and more like a politician to me you would not happen to be

one by any chance.

Self funded retirees are much better than tourists, tourists who stay in the higher priced hotels spend

most of there money in these hotels which are mainly owned by foreign share holders who are paid

dividends so the profits goes overseas, these hotel chains are allowed to own property in Thailand.

A self funded expat lives and spends a lot of his money on local services and in local businesses so the

money goes to the local Thai people and helps improve there standard of living, there money is not made

here but brought from overseas, i spend my money in Thailand i do not make it here.

Other country's like Malaysia are already actively chasing self funded retirees you can own 3 houses in Malaysia

and get a lot of other benefits, i don't want to live there i want to live here.

Being allowed to own one house and the land it sits on is not buying up Thailand its the big corporations who seem

to be doing that and doing it legally, i get on very well with most of my Thai neighbors and they are happy with me living here.

Being allowed to buy one house with the land it sits on would encourage other self funded retirees to live here

permanently and sell some of the over supply of houses for sale in Phuket which local people are not buying

and put more money into the economy.

>>Farang could buy every inch of Thailand a thousand times over

Doesn't there have to be a seller as well as a buyer in a transaction? Is someone forcing/coercing someone to sell? I highly doubt it, more like greed makes people sell. It wouldn't be necessity that makes people sell as they can sell to other families/people of their own country.

Peter, you are spot on.

But I think WOOHOO trying to tell us about (in) famous Thai xenophobia. I heard same argument (about farangs buying up whole country) numerous times from educated Thais and left me mind-boggled.

So....if your argument is true, no foreigners should be able to buy land in any country but their own. Have I got that right?

Firstly there is the wealth issue. Farang could buy every inch of Thailand a thousand times over. Where would that leave the Thais? They would become second class citizens in their own country.

So you got it wrong.

Don't think so. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think there should be a system of reciprocity. A UK citizen is allowed to buy land in Malaysia, so, Malaysians are allowed to buy land in the UK.

Presently, I think Thais should not be allowed to buy land in any other country.

Edited by KarenBravo

So you got it wrong.

Don't think so. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think there should be a system of reciprocity. A UK citizen is allowed to buy land in Malaysia, so, Malaysians are allowed to buy land in the UK.

Presently, I think Thais should not be allowed to buy land in any other country.

Thai people living in Australia are also allowed to own outright houses and businesses there.

This topic is called "Why Do You Live In Phuket" and most of the replies have been very responsive and constructive. The topic is not about 'reciprocity' of laws for Thais buying land in other countries. So please lets all get back to the original topic of why you live in Phuket. Thank you.

Sorry, WOOHOO. Carpetbaggers is just a term for people who come in, buy everything up and then flog it at a profit.

My point about them reflects one of your concerns - that farang can just outbid a Thai and buy everything up. I'm sure that this could be catered for by, for example, allowing someone to own the land on which their house stands, with appropriate safeguards to prevent the unscrupulous developers.

I must admit to being a bit irritated when I see Thaksin's London houses and know that I'm not allowed to own the little piece of land on which my house stands.

Sorry, WOOHOO. Carpetbaggers is just a term for people who come in, buy everything up and then flog it at a profit.

My point about them reflects one of your concerns - that farang can just outbid a Thai and buy everything up. I'm sure that this could be catered for by, for example, allowing someone to own the land on which their house stands, with appropriate safeguards to prevent the unscrupulous developers.

I must admit to being a bit irritated when I see Thaksin's London houses and know that I'm not allowed to own the little piece of land on which my house stands.

Cheers for the answer. I had written a fairly lengthy reply to some other posters, but the thread was put back on topic before I could post it. I think the OP has pretty much run its course but perhaps we will be allowed to come back and pick this up again, when no one has replied on topic for a bit longer. It's a very relevant topic and a good one to discuss.

I have been coming to Thailand for over 4 years, but sadly have spent a lot of that time in Pattaya. I have had a great time in Pattaya, but could never consider living there, the town is far too "Red Light" Tourists and marines use the place as an oversized Brothel, disrespecting the locals and bringing their"booze buster" attitudes to the town. I see Pattaya as an Asian version of the costa del sol, just without the Dosh. And it is hardly surprising that the general attitude of the locals is very much alike the spanish, very cold and harsh.

Not a town for me!

I love Thailand so much, and in particular the Islands, after travelling to Koh Chang (Too Quiet) Koh Samui (too many pissed backpackers) several times, Phuket was suggested by a really good friend of mine, so after a brief visit just after new year, i was smitten. I came to Phuket not knowing what to expect, and immediately knew this was a place i could hang my hat. I have met so many pleasant and genuinely nice people here, and in my opinion, its the people that make a place, without even considering the beauty.

I have a stable business in the Uk which looks after itself, and there are obvious UK tax reasons for becoming an ex pat. Don't get me wrong, it wont make me a millionaire.......but will allow me to live comfortably. That aside, i'm still looking for something to do though, i hear what some of you chaps are saying, make your money back home, not in PHUKET, and to a certain extent i agree, however, with being a thirty something male, i would still like to make a bit of biz here, and tbh, as long as it cuts its teeth and keeps me busy, thats fine for me.

:)

Alex

My advice to all newbies is don't try to do business here.

Sawadee

jay

I've been telling people for 25 years, Phuket is a place to SPEND your money, not MAKE your money. I remember a guy from Belgium told me that. He was an old hand. In 1985 he told me, young fella if you listen to anything I say only remember this one thing.

"Never try to make money here, make your money in your own country on your own playing field. Then come and enjoy it here and you will have no problems."

As Someone who is 2 and half years into a ,3 year lease for a guesthouse in Patong and have lost big time i will agree with you 100% on saying that though i still love the place and i wont be thinking of any more business adventure's . I agree what has all been said before i think what happens to a lot of ex pats they come and after a few years they start moaning i know a few who have been threating to leave for years and go somewhere else i wish they would and give the rest of us peace.

But sorry as a Jock ex pat i have to finish of with moan. To much concrete in Patong now i think maybe i will move somewhere else.

Watch this space

I have been coming to Thailand for over 4 years, but sadly have spent a lot of that time in Pattaya. I have had a great time in Pattaya, but could never consider living there, the town is far too "Red Light" Tourists and marines use the place as an oversized Brothel, disrespecting the locals and bringing their"booze buster" attitudes to the town. I see Pattaya as an Asian version of the costa del sol, just without the Dosh. And it is hardly surprising that the general attitude of the locals is very much alike the spanish, very cold and harsh.

Not a town for me!

I love Thailand so much, and in particular the Islands, after travelling to Koh Chang (Too Quiet) Koh Samui (too many pissed backpackers) several times, Phuket was suggested by a really good friend of mine, so after a brief visit just after new year, i was smitten. I came to Phuket not knowing what to expect, and immediately knew this was a place i could hang my hat. I have met so many pleasant and genuinely nice people here, and in my opinion, its the people that make a place, without even considering the beauty.

I have a stable business in the Uk which looks after itself, and there are obvious UK tax reasons for becoming an ex pat. Don't get me wrong, it wont make me a millionaire.......but will allow me to live comfortably. That aside, i'm still looking for something to do though, i hear what some of you chaps are saying, make your money back home, not in PHUKET, and to a certain extent i agree, however, with being a thirty something male, i would still like to make a bit of biz here, and tbh, as long as it cuts its teeth and keeps me busy, thats fine for me.

Alex

Nice post, glad to see you've found the right place, I'm sure you'll be happy in Phuket.

As for the business, I know you've heard this many times before, you said as much, but I for one think it just isn't worth it. You've got a bit of money, get yourself some hobbies.

I know some people find it hard doing nothing, and need to be busy, but there's so much to do, it has to better than working surely. The potential pitfalls that are associated with running businesses here just doesn't seem worth the agro to me.

Good luck mate.

Nice post, glad to see you've found the right place, I'm sure you'll be happy in Phuket.

As for the business, I know you've heard this many times before, you said as much, but I for one think it just isn't worth it. You've got a bit of money, get yourself some hobbies.

I know some people find it hard doing nothing, and need to be busy, but there's so much to do, it has to better than working surely. The potential pitfalls that are associated with running businesses here just doesn't seem worth the agro to me.

Good luck mate.

Thanks Buddy.

Al

Not a town for me!

Alex

Your post is an exact reflection of our situation and experience, although we will be making trips back to the UK to check on business and, more importantly, see our (grown-up) children (although they want to come and see us in LOS). I will do a few bits and pieces in LOS but as for running a business - I've listened to wiser heads and decided against it. Earn a pound, spend a baht.