Thai Passport Expires In July

Just over a week ago when the memsahib accompanied me on a border run to Vientiane, she was held up on the Nongkhai side and told the Laos wouldn't let her in with less than 6 months on her passport. They took 150baht for a single-sheet "Border Pass", and she went across on that.

It looks as if we will be going to K-L for a couple of days next week, and I just wondered whether she'd have the same problem. She has a Brit passport as well (which she didn't bother to take up north), but as that has no Thai entry stamp, it'll be the same performance as travelling to/from the UK, showing different passports at each control point.

Less than six months would not be allowed and passports can not be switched at land border crossings but should work using air. If the names are the same in both passports.

In fact, she has her Thai passport in her original Thai maiden name, and her Brit passport in her married name. It's never caused a problem travelling in or out of the UK to Thailand, and I use our surname for both tickets. We will be flying to K-L.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but how long was the border pass she got valid for?

Also what's a memsahib?

Memsahib = the Lady Wife

I couldn't swear to it, but I think the border pass could have lasted 15 days. We weren't really bothered, as we only wanted a couple of days there (more than enough IMHO, apart from the beer Vientiane has little to recommend it). Significant thing about the border pass was that it was only valid for Vientiane city. The Laos have a reciprocal arrangement, and at that crossing you see hundreds of them with light blue booklets, which are not full passports but again just passes which allow them a limited period in Thailand no further south than Udon Thani, according to a guy who showed me his document.