Thai Army Says Planning Operation To Clear Protesters

george

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read in that other online paper that the UDD leaders will surrender May 15th :D:D:D

Why not today, and what will they do for the next month? They must be betting that the PM on May 15 will be one that will be handing out amnesty to reds for all their crimes.

i surely hope and pray that they are correct....

but may 15, is a long way off....

some may be able to surrend vertically.... while others might have to surrender horizontally.... even before may 15.... a date that is meaningless and eternal in the scope of events presently prevail....

my heart is much saddened.... for the redshirt leaders.... individually and collectively.... EVERYONE OF THEM ARE ALREADY MILLIONNAIRES,

ESPECIALLY FOR VEE-RA.... HE EVEN HAS PLENTY OF EARTHLY POSSESSIONS IN U.S.A.... confirmed by thai restaurant source....

ask him to deny it.... while he is speaking on the podium.... THAT IS A TRUE PARADOX.... a millionnaire disguided as a poor redshirt comrade.... fighting for social equality and all.... :D

surely this is nothing new.... right? for most of the more informed thaivisa readers and posters....

May 15, but they diden´t mention what year... :)

<snip>

Abhisit has received a lot of bashing (he's making mistakes like everyone else, and yes, he's from a rich family -- so what?), but I vaguely remember him having made a point of getting better education underway, for example. He's not putting asphalt on a stretch of road through a village or organizing loans that from the start never have a chance of being paid back, ever. I personally think that he's a guy with a lot of integrity and for once someone who really could do something for the country. What a bloody shame he's being thrown off the track by a bunch of anarchists who are backed by a criminal on the run...

Abhisit was thrown off track the day he aligned himself with Prem. Had he chose not to serve the elitist agenda, I believe things would have turned out quite differently.

Abhisit was never in control, not since the day he took office. His policies were dictated by the powers that be from the very beginning. With Suthep Thaugsuban frequently overstepping his authority, it became the perfect recipe for disaster. All things considered, it doesn't come as any surprise (to me) why this Oxford-educated young man turned out to be a massive failure. Yet another political casualty. :)

Thanks for the link.

Wonder why Thaksin is so quiet? What about the cancer rumouers?

I think he is quiet now because of the criminal implications against him if the reds fail. All of the red leaders have arrest warrants on them, and if the reds lose, things could get even trickier for Thaksin, with fewer and fewer countries willing to accommodate Mr. Hot Potato. Also he clearly can no longer be politically active from Dubai. Also remember the sniper business is still open to investigation.

Even if the Reds win, there's no guarantee Thaksin will get immunity.

This is Thailand and yes, I have been here a very long time and I employed staff up country and when it came down to wages, the ministry of work was on my back to make sure minimum wages were paid.

Considering the cost of living up-country and the family units there is no real reason why children should be starving. The strange thing is, there always seems to be enough money around for a TV and for drink, but as you say not for food. Fish and fruit are abandoned and considering that most of these people are rice farmers, you are contradicting yourself here since the price of rice has gone up, so has income.

The main problem is that they all want to live beyond their means and to buy motorcycles and fancy clothes. They borrow money from the ever present money lenders and by the time wages are paid, they have to pay a big chunk of those to the money lender. Gambling is another cause for financial problems of many Isanies , but they can not blame the government for this!

There is a problem I admit with the IQ level because most do not use salt but only fish sauce. It is a medical fact that especially during growth, the brain needs Iodine to develop and when this is missing..... well, the results we see gathered in Bangkok right now. Chulalungkorn University did a study on this along time ago and came up with the same results. But this is not caused by poverty, simply by choice.

Fully agree: the present level of poverty is to a (large?) degree self-inflicted. One big problem is that many if not most "rice farmers" are severely under-educated and susceptible to visions of "the beautiful life" (see: soap operas). They did lots better before the onslaught of big business and modern times consumerism. Thailand was a purely agricultural country until what -- less than 100? -- years ago. And then suddenly, parts of the country got warped into the 20th century. From the time the US used Thailand as a base for the Vietnam war, it didn't take long for the entire mass of Western "greats" like McDonalds, 7-Eleven, Pizzahut and you-name-it to set up shop here. With them came the marketing machines, unleashed on people who hadn't gradually grown up with it and thus hadn't had time to develop any kind of "resistance". The result: what BKjohn describes above. But it goes one step further than that. Thais tend to look at the façade of something and seldom bother to "drill down" to get at the facts. That is why it's so easy for the likes of Thaksin and his ilk to get "messages across".

Better education and making kids develop a critical attitude is where it's at. Teaching farmer kids basic business principles could make agriculture a viable business for many, as opposed to a debt trap. Learning some fundamentals, the national anthem and some of the country's ancient history (good bits only) simply doesn't cut it. Neither does the "being nice" attitude that lets almost anyone pass examns. And hey, I'm not talking about westernizing schools or importing farang ideas/morals...!

However, there are two aspects to that: even if a massive education push were to start today, it would take time to come to fruition. Only at that point would it be truely, totally feasible to run the country based on one man/one vote (and no: I'm not advocation anything else for now -- just to preclude flaming). The second aspect: if the countryside were to experience a better-living upswing, obesity would be quick to follow too :)

The IQ level theory sounds rather dubious to me and reminds me of the infamous measuring of skulls in a black past. But especially the second comment is in line with my own observations in Issan. It also supports my conclusion that there is a big foreign contribution to the present inequalities and social tensions in Thailand. This is not to say that the Thais or Thai governments don't have a responsibility of their own, but awareness of this fact should make many contributors to this forum more modest, less loud and for sure less one sided - whatever colour they may sleep with.

NO Kidding.... Monkeys understand Dante better than most people on this forum seem to understand Issan. I think there are a lot of salt deprived people posting on here. Yes there are stupid people in Issan...drink too much, gamble too much, can't handle money very well when they get it, condemn themselves to permanent poverty.....just like in the US, UK, EU and just about everywhere else. Guess what, there are lots of deprived hungry kids in the most "developed" countries in the world because they have parents who drink, gamble and contribute nothing to society. That is a universal problem, it is not something peculiar to Issan. 75% or more of these people that you talk about like they were some kind of lab rats could outperform you guys blindfolded if they had the chance. They have no culture of entitlement. Most of them can survive in conditions that would kill most of us and still maintain a fair degree of civility and unity. They are tough and fearless. They will prevail in the long run and all the oracles on TV here will wonder, why did we not understand them better. Of course a big part of that is answered by the total obsession with Thaksin bashing which completely takes the focus of the real issues. The age old problem of not seeing the wood for the trees.

Most of them can survive in conditions that would kill most of us and still maintain a fair degree of civility and unity. They are tough and fearless. They will prevail in the long run and all the oracles on TV here will wonder, why did we not understand them better.

They sound rather like the Viet Cong.

The IQ level theory sounds rather dubious to me and reminds me of the infamous measuring of skulls in a black past. But especially the second comment is in line with my own observations in Issan. It also supports my conclusion that there is a big foreign contribution to the present inequalities and social tensions in Thailand. This is not to say that the Thais or Thai governments don't have a responsibility of their own, but awareness of this fact should make many contributors to this forum more modest, less loud and for sure less one sided - whatever colour they may sleep with.

I agree this is the kind of theories used by Goebbels, justifing the Aryan superior race and the consequent genocides. this is a very dangerous theory.

I agree also that some farangs are fighting against the emancipation of the Northern population because it is the source of a cheap workforce. They see already the risk to be obliged revising their "Business Plans" due to an improvement in working conditions/ salaries. Bad thing reporting this to Overseas Headquarter, bad for career

So the headline at the top, saying Government ready for more talks with Reds means the machine guns will do the talking?

It is the red leadership under instructions from Thaksin who prefer petrol bombs to negotiations.

you forgot to mention that this would not be happening if the ligitmate government (red shirts) were still in power

i am apolitical....

"Under instructions from Thaksin"................what proof has this idiot got ? Why are people allowed to print such inflammatory stupid bloody guesswork.............It should NOT be allowed past admin !

If you are really that new to Thai politics I would suggest some research on the internet first. If you can understand some Thai you might see if you can find a clip of one of Thaksin's video phone ins, if not just read the "atmosphere" of the video. There's an enormous amount of "proof" about Thaksin's organization and leadership structure.

Jerry, Thai labor is already overpriced internationally relative to what they offer and the cheapness of the competition. If it gets much more expensive, more international firms will just skidoo. Nothing personal, just business. A red "peoples" revolution will not translate into low skill factory workers making 500 baht an hour, that you can bank on mate.

Edited by Jingthing

This whole situation is not looking good at all.

I am really disappointed by Abhisits announcement. His stubbornness is taking this country to the brink.

He should be doing what most international observers are suggesting - dissolve parliament and put up a timetable for elections.

Instead he chooses confrontation and defiance, which, I believe he will come to greatly regret.

NO Kidding.... Monkeys understand Dante better than most people on this forum seem to understand Issan. I think there are a lot of salt deprived people posting on here. Yes there are stupid people in Issan...drink too much, gamble too much, can't handle money very well when they get it, condemn themselves to permanent poverty.....just like in the US, UK, EU and just about everywhere else. Guess what, there are lots of deprived hungry kids in the most "developed" countries in the world because they have parents who drink, gamble and contribute nothing to society. That is a universal problem, it is not something peculiar to Issan. 75% or more of these people that you talk about like they were some kind of lab rats could outperform you guys blindfolded if they had the chance. They have no culture of entitlement. Most of them can survive in conditions that would kill most of us and still maintain a fair degree of civility and unity. They are tough and fearless. They will prevail in the long run and all the oracles on TV here will wonder, why did we not understand them better. Of course a big part of that is answered by the total obsession with Thaksin bashing which completely takes the focus of the real issues. The age old problem of not seeing the wood for the trees.

Totally agree...

Even if the Reds win, there's no guarantee Thaksin will get immunity.

Are you sure?

Somebody has spent a lot of cash on this, and I'm not just talking about paying protesters. If this person is Thaksin, I highly doubt this "investment" is simply for democracy and the proverbial good of the people.

I am really disappointed by Abhisits announcement. His stubbornness is taking this country to the brink.

He should be doing what most international observers are suggesting - dissolve parliament and put up a timetable for elections.

Instead he chooses confrontation and defiance, which, I believe he will come to greatly regret.

Not quite correct. The west is saying TALK and NEGOTIATE. The reds won't.

You take the cake with your dribble

last time I looked there was no famine in Thailand and never has been I know a lot of people from Isaan who work and make decent money, more than able to feed their family. Yes, there are some lazy bums who rather take ja baa and than top themselves blaming everybody else but not themselves of course.

The only reason the reds have to be here is for the leaders to jump on Takki's wagon and they hope for huge rewards - than there are the other gangsters who are making money and enjoy to riot (like the leaders) and the rest have got no clue as to what is really going on but get fed and paid as well. Mind you, most of them have already left and what is left is every thug from Isaan who is here to have a bit of war

Unfortunately here are some facts that you are not aware of;

- Undernutrition is a recognized problem in Thailand.

- The country is indeed at risk of famine.

The most obvious cause of famine will be the looming drought. As water sources disappear there is a real threat of the remaining water resources becoming salinated or tainted with pollution. This isn't due to the politics of the street. It is a fact of life and a real threat.

In respect to undernutrition, the major culprit is poverty and sadly there are a growing number of children in this country, as in the rest of the world, that go to bed hungry and that wake up hungry. Tremendous inroads started to be made in 1996 with the apex of poverty being reduced during the Thaksin era. Please, do not accuse me of being a Thaksin supporter because this is what the numbers were and are. Besides, the turning point for improvement was in 1998 and Thaksin was not even in power. However, the numbers stopped improving at the end of the Thaksin era and it seems they are deteriorating now.

Farangs that live in the resort cities and bangkok are oblivious to the sad reality that Thailand is showing a dismal trend.

When children under the age of 5 are examined, sadly approx. 12% have stunted growth, 9% are underweight and 4% are diagnosed as wasting (i.e. starving to death). At the same time, 10-15% of primary school children are classified as obese.

Think about the implications. It means that the poor are getting so poor they cannot afford food and that the wealthy are getting so wealthy that they are creating a culture of obesity.

Where do these numbers come from? Respected health organizations such as Mahidol University and the U.N. If you don't believe me go and talk to kraisid Tontsirin at Mahidol, which is hardly a hotbed of Thaksin support. Better yet, read his last seminar presentation

http://www.icn2009.com/Presentations/Oct%2...y%20Mode%5D.pdf

Please consider this. If a person does not make enough money to purchase a balanced diet, that person will suffer. Look at the wages earned by people outside of Bangkok. Now look at the cost of food today. The wages have remained static, yet basic food has increased in price over the past year. Rice has seen increases of how many times in the past year? (I believe it is 3X)

How do you expect a poor person to eat?

People can toss all sorts of fancy political theories around or even blame Thaksin if they want, but I believe what is driving alot of the protestors is the that they are tired of the systemic poverty. When you are poor and have nothing, you are more open to people with a message of salvation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Thailand and yes, I have been here a very long time and I employed staff up country and when it came down to wages, the ministry of work was on my back to make sure minimum wages were paid.

Considering the cost of living up-country and the family units there is no real reason why children should be starving. The strange thing is, there always seems to be enough money around for a TV and for drink, but as you say not for food. Fish and fruit are abandoned and considering that most of these people are rice farmers, you are contradicting yourself here since the price of rice has gone up, so has income.

The main problem is that they all want to live beyond their means and to buy motorcycles and fancy clothes. They borrow money from the ever present money lenders and by the time wages are paid, they have to pay a big chunk of those to the money lender. Gambling is another cause for financial problems of many Isanies , but they can not blame the government for this!

There is a problem I admit with the IQ level because most do not use salt but only fish sauce. It is a medical fact that especially during growth, the brain needs Iodine to develop and when this is missing..... well, the results we see gathered in Bangkok right now. Chulalungkorn University did a study on this along time ago and came up with the same results. But this is not caused by poverty, simply by choice.

Maybe in town some employees make 5,000TBT or 6,000TBT in Northern Issan. But in the villages.... I know some families with total income of 3,000TBT with 2 young children going to school (have to pay 500TBT for the Elder going in town + uniform + transportation 200TBT village to city) Please use your computer and make a fair budget with 3000TBT and 4 persons .....

The sticky rice is of poor quality and is not a good income....

The Local University- Department of Agriculture- needs more support, needs funds for teaching the farmers: not enough money, not enough teachers (teaching the adults in the evening in the village is at light years with the current possibilities)- In the schools, most of classes comprises 40 to 50 students. irrigation projects are just rhetoric, development of small industries are nearly nil....Nobody takes care of this welcoming and wonderful population.

The problem is not the IQ level, (typical language for supporting the Bangkokian Elite superiority). My adopted eldest son is now in the head of his class (School in town).

In the village where I live part of the year, they cannot offer Fish sauce, the fishes are salted and cooked on firewood (Tha Phanom region salt- no Gas cooker). My in Law overall family (3 married couples + father/Mother = 8 children) shares 3 old motorbikes and 1 "tic-Tac". My wife, when I meet her had only few Blue jeans and a couple of skirts second hand, but proud that her 2 children-she was widowed- are wearing proper clothes. The neighbouring families are also decent people with similar living conditions and wealth.

Gambling: yes on 1000 people maybe 5 are gambling, but most= NO. It means a probable statistic figure far below Bangkok

The problem is that nobody want to invest in this region, because the Elite want to keep those poor blokes under control as workforce in the factories, as maid or even for their entertainment (massage, bar...)- in fact this is a modern form of slavery.

I repeat to the yellowish partisans: I am not a "Thaksinist", I do not protect my "cheerful red leaders" . I am only a man, with social sensitivity and supporting directly the ISSAN PEOPLE -not leaders-, I have been accepted by the village in which I spent a large part of the year by this wonderful population far more intelligent than some arrogant elitists.

I wish for the sake of Thailand that this situation will be solved PEACEFULLY.

Absolutely excellent post Sir....my own experiences of Issan and it's people is almost exactly the same....but of course you will be jumped all over for saying such things because the only vision many posters on here are capable of having, is that every Thai north of Korat is a mindless idiot. Just look over the threads and see the things these suffocating arrogant people say. You don't have to look far.

Jerry, Thai labor is already overpriced internationally relative to what they offer and the cheapness of the competition. If it gets much more expensive, more international firms will just skidoo. Nothing personal, just business. A red "peoples" revolution will not translate into low skill factory workers making 500 baht an hour, that you can bank on mate.

you do not want to understand... instead to buy Strategic balloons, GT 200, submarines (when the sea depth is ridiculous for their utilisation) and to make grandiose hyper highways.... in Bangkok....

Just revise the Budget , implementing a correct infrastructure (Railways), decentralising some industries, supporting the income of farmers until the rationalisation of agriculture is done.

(Europe and USA ARE subsidising their farmers, why you, Farangs, you are opposed to the same thing in Thailand?)

Most of them can survive in conditions that would kill most of us and still maintain a fair degree of civility and unity. They are tough and fearless. They will prevail in the long run and all the oracles on TV here will wonder, why did we not understand them better.

And like the Viet Cong, they will win in the end.

you do not want to understand... instead to buy Strategic balloons, GT 200, submarines (when the sea depth is ridiculous for their utilisation) and to make grandiose hyper highways.... in Bangkok....

Just revise the Budget , implementing a correct infrastructure (Railways), decentralising some industries, supporting the income of farmers until the rationalisation of agriculture is done.

(Europe and USA ARE subsidising their farmers, why you, Farangs, you are opposed to the same thing in Thailand?)

It's a shame no one wants to give Abhisit time to implement those kinds of policies which are among his intentions. Instead, these rallies try to obfuscate his national agenda and paint him as the architect of the people's suffering. Who stands to gain from that aside from upcountry puyai? Those who have crippled the minds of these people and put shackles on their lives are the same people who pay their busfare to Bangkok and their per diem. It's a bloody shame.

Quite possibly. So do you reckon they will send the "elites" to concentration camps like the Cong did after they won?

Edited by Jingthing

Well if they follow the American model the all the huge corporate farms will reap the subsidies.

Abhisit's stubbornness? As I recall there are heavily armed protesters gathering in the central business district of Thailand's capitol city. They refuse to leave. They have killed security personnel and they are willing to kill more. They have declared war on the government of Thailand. They have submitted ultimatums and refused to negotiate. Who is being stubborn?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

And today, the Capitalists are rushing to invest in Vietnam...

Jing, I cannot concur that wages in Thailand are overpriced in comparison with their direct competing countries. They are higher than Cambodia, Burma, China, Vietnam, but Thailand is ahead of them in development. They are below Singapore for example but that is to be expected. However, try to compare the cost of hiring similarly qualified people in Bangkok or Singapore. Thailand is still considerably cheaper for skilled labour, and cheap for manual labour in comparison with many. Compare the cost of a car assembly line person in Thailand and China and I think you may be surprised how much semi skilled labour costs in China.

There is very little international pressure on industry here so the margins are still impressive for many industries be them hi-tech, high capital or high people content. Yes some industries are under pressure for margin, but many companies here in Thailand are protected, make comfortable profits, and yet still pay pitiful wages.

It would be interesting to calculate what would happen if all the restrictions on foreign companies were removed in Thailand. Aside from overall competition, I would imagine they would bid up wages for many skill levels of workers. Of course, the evil farangs wouldn't do such a thing would they?

And today, the Capitalists are rushing to invest in Vietnam...

Sure. 35 years later. On the corpses of how many people, do you reckon? Cambodia also an "interesting" example of what can happen when totalitarian "red" movements prevail.

Edited by Jingthing

As I said before, its useless to argue with the reds on this forum. What it all boils down to :

Had a few thousand protesters come to Bangkok and peacefully demonstrated their problems / demands and opened a debate with the government with real arguments I'm sure they would have achieved more without spilling any blood. But this was not the plan of their leaders. From the outset threats were made and every step they took was to provoke a reaction by the government. They simply refused negotiation, the heart and soul of a democracy .

Those red shirts have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with a peaceful demonstration but are a rioting mob and need to be send back to where they came from. The sooner the better and I hope they don't do it half-baked this time.

The use of CS gas would be the more elegant solution and help to avoid blood-shed - so CS the lot and carry them back - confiscate their transport to make sure they don't come back

Abhisit's stubbornness? As I recall there are heavily armed protesters gathering in the central business district of Thailand's capitol city. They refuse to leave. They have killed security personnel and they are willing to kill more. They have declared war on the government of Thailand. They have submitted ultimatums and refused to negotiate. Who is being stubborn?

Heavily armed protesters ......You have to rush to the optician and change your glasses

It's a shame no one wants to give Abhisit time to implement those kinds of policies which are among his intentions. Instead, these rallies try to obfuscate his national agenda and paint him as the architect of the people's suffering. Who stands to gain from that aside from upcountry puyai? Those who have crippled the minds of these people and put shackles on their lives are the same people who pay their busfare to Bangkok and their per diem. It's a bloody shame.

Here's a quote from an article in Reuters regarding recent debt relief for farmers.

"Under the scheme, debts owed by farmers will be halved. They will also get 15 years to pay off the remaining 50 percent of their original debt, said Vichit Chantachaeng, an acting director of the state Farmers' Reconstuction and Development Fund.

The plan affects about 510,000 debtors who owed a total of about 80 billion baht ($2.5 billion) in non-performing loans."

Thai protest against "red shirts"

Thousands of Thai government supporters hold a counter-protest against the "red shirt" movement which is demanding a dissolution of parliament.

-- Reuters 2010-04-17

Heavily armed protesters ......You have to rush to the optician and change your glasses

Then again YOU might want to watch the videos from Songkran 2009 --- and the riots this year --- then listen to the speeches of the red leaders ---