Israel Has Banned Ipads

midas

Would any Apple enthusiasts like to guess the technical reasons

why Israel would be doing this ? I am intrigued . What hidden feature does it

have that could threaten security ?

Israel's Latest Ridiculous Story About Why It Has Banned iPads: They "Violate Israeli Law"

So now Israel is clarifying. Here, courtesy of the WSJ, is the new story:

"This device's wireless strengths violate Israeli law and will overpower other wireless devices in Israel," ministry spokesman Yechiel Shavi said.

The new story doesn't explain why travelers have been able to bring US laptops and cellphones into Israel for years without any complaint at all.

And engineers who have examined the iPad's wireless strength say that its wireless strength is actually weaker than that of comparable devices. So that part of the story doesn't hold water, either.

So, Israel, what's the real reason? What do you have against the iPad?

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodg...aeli-law-2010-4

This kinda makes me happy, I mean if other countries like Israel can just pull ridiculous statements out of their ass and feed them to the international community making themselves look like retards... well then Thailand isn't alone anymore is it? Good for the country when this happens. :)

Well the most likely answer is this.

In many countries all telecommunication and other broadcasting assets are owned by the state and products that broadcast frequencies must be apply for a license to be used, sold and distributed under law. If people can remember back 20 years or so it was actually illegal to use a telephone in the UK unless it was sold directly from BT. There was also a problem some time in Thailand way back with getting hold of wireless routers because they were not licensed.

So the chances are that the Ipad hasnt received approval yet in Israel - Apple simply havent got round to it, as they are not selling it there. (I am not sure whether wi-fi products need FCC approval in the US but certainly the 3G unit will need it.) Chances are the 'ban' as such is because it has no license to be used in Israel rather than the product is particularly powerful when apparently the opposite is true.

There has got to be something else.

I am sure many know that a huge number of innovations come out from Israel but sold to big company's worldwide.

It is a possibility and i emphasize possibility that Apple stole(copied) some technology and hence the ban.

May be also the government is worried it may not be able to control the content or something along this lines.

Or may be the unspeakable, which is another company is about to bring out a similar thing and this company has paid off the government to ban Apple, while that company will own the entire Israeli market.

it's very simple, the law does allow 100mw max for broadcast, the ipad is way above this and thus is banned.

Hmmm..... you could be right but you would actually need to jailbreak an ipad to use it to broadcast wi-fi which is theoretically possible I guess.

I also see most of the discussion is about the the Ipad's weak wifi signal. This might be the chip or Apple saving power. They have tried to minimise the loss of signal by placing the wifi chip right on top of the back centre of the Ipad where there is a plastic Apple logo. This will reduce the Faraday effect of the aluminum casing.

I cant really believe it has any more power than your average laptop.

it's very simple, the law does allow 100mw max for broadcast, the ipad is way above this and thus is banned.

1. Can anybody find the information about the output power of the iPad's WiFi chip? Strangely, it is not stated on Apple's web page www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

2. What is the legal limit, if any, in Thailand, expressed in milliWatt (mW)?

--

Maestro

This kinda makes me happy, I mean if other countries like Israel can just pull ridiculous statements out of their ass and feed them to the international community making themselves look like retards... well then Thailand isn't alone anymore is it? Good for the country when this happens. :D

woohoo, we are not alone! :)

Does the following bring us closer to understanding why a country, and in the USA some universities, are banning the iPad?

...The US federal communications commission allows devices with Wi-Fi capability to broadcast at higher power levels than are allowed in Europe and Israel meaning that the iPad’s stronger signal could throw off others’ wireless connections, Israeli officials said...
Source: http://morrisonworldnews.com/?p=9502
Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) iPad isn't having an easy time during college admissions season.

The tablet, lauded by many as the next wave in education technology, has already been rejected by two top universities, George Washington University and Princeton University because of security issues. Cornell University also says it is seeing connectivity problems with the device and is concerned about bandwidth overload...

Source: online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100416-709971.html

--

Maestro

There are restrictions on broadcast power for WIFI in many countries (basically any country with a decent regulatory requirement). Some wireless card drivers will restrict their power depending on what country you enter in the setup software!

Maybe the Israeli regs are a bit tighter than average?

Hi.

I remember in 2002 or 2003 when i got the Nokia 8910 for my boyfriend (it had Bluetooth) it came with an extra form that was to be filled in and brought to the post office, basically to obtain a special "license" to use the Bluetooth part of that phone. It was also clearly stated that otherwise it would be "strictly illegal" to use bluetooth.

After all Thailand is still the country that manufactures roughly 90% of the entire world's 11-meters CB radio devices however owning or operating one INSIDE Thailand can put you in jail for several years :)

And i've read somewhere that Israel has/had similar restrictions on Bluetooth/WiFi devices, a good many phones have been made specifically for the Israeli market without their otherwise standard Bluetooth component.

Best regards....

Thanh