Not Even 'new Guy' Yet

Hi Steven. I've learned a lot reading these posts and your responses to them, but I'm eager to send you my own. Please assess my situation.

I'm an American, teaching English in Taiwan until November (that will be two years experience). I have a masters degree in psychology, but have never taught it, but would like to. I'm already signed up to attend a TEFl course at CMU in December. I like the idea of university work but it sounds like the pay is low, and I don't want to live in or near the big city of Bkk. What route should I take? And if I go for the uni scene, chould I just cast a net and send resumes to any school that looks good, or try to email someone first and build up to it?

Also: I have a strong golf background; what about possibly teaching golf at resorts? Is there much of a market for that at all?

Thank you so much! Keep this up, I like the forum.

Erick

what's your handicap ?

"Also: I have a strong golf background; what about possibly teaching golf at resorts? Is there much of a market for that at all?"

I guess teaching golf is something what a Thai could also do, which means that foreigners are not allowed to do that.

You don't have to make a TEFL holding a Master degree and having experience in teaching. Good luck for a good start.

Edited by Sisaketmike

"Also: I have a strong golf background; what about possibly teaching golf at resorts? Is there much of a market for that at all?"

"I guess teaching golf is something that a Thai could also do, which means that foreigners are not allowed to do that."

Incorrect - I have two western friends who work as golf professionals, teaching both foreign and Thai clients.

Would suggest you call the courses directly and enquire about openings - there are plenty in Thailand!

However, not sure what your 'strong golf background' refers to. My two friends are former professional players.

• 2 weeks later...

"I have a masters degree in psychology, but have never taught it, but would like to. "

The OP seemed to ask if he could teach psychology at the university level and that question was not answered. I'd be interested to the answer also as I'm about to complete a BS in Psy, but my program is to follow up with an M.Ed. in TESOL before making the move to a Thai job: I'm certainly not counting on psy lecturing jobs :)

Aside from the usual English language programs, I know for certain that there are jobs for English-speaking lecturers in accounting, management and marketing. Also--but I don't know if they're frequently available--lecturing positions for graphic design programs; some areas of linguistics; and possibly tourism/hospitality programs. That's all I can think of right now but for psy all I know about is one uni (Chula I think) that has an international program with an Australian institution.

To complicate things further, I'll add a question: :D does anyone know if some of the Thai uni's language institutes (or other sections) have French language programs that employ native speakers as lecturers?

Thanks,

N.

Edited by Northwest87

I know for certain that there are jobs for English-speaking lecturers in accounting, management and marketing.

As you say, there are such jobs. Fewer positions available for psychologists though that I've heard of.

does anyone know if some of the Thai uni's language institutes (or other sections) have French language programs that employ native speakers as lecturers?

I do - and they have. Try some of the 'better' government universities such as Thammasat, Silpakorn, Kasetsart.

I know for certain that there are jobs for English-speaking lecturers in accounting, management and marketing.

As you say, there are such jobs. Fewer positions available for psychologists though that I've heard of.

does anyone know if some of the Thai uni's language institutes (or other sections) have French language programs that employ native speakers as lecturers?

I do - and they have. Try some of the 'better' government universities such as Thammasat, Silpakorn, Kasetsart.

Hi. It's good to know that there may be options in that field although I don't have any credentials to teach French, aside from the fact that I'm a native speaker. I will look into this to see if there is some kind of certificate and/or practicum that I can earn before I make the move to Thailand but that probably wouldn't be enough for uni work I suppose.

My enquiries about French programs, psy and the like are only about picking up the extra work to pad the standard English teacher uni paycheck.

I had looked up the big 3's web sites (Chula, Mahidol, Thamassat) and I didn't see any French programs there. I didn't know about Silpakorn and Kasetsart. Not being in Thailand yet, I'm kinda flying with the instruments :) Thanks for the tip!

I was looking at Thamassat U's web site a few days ago and I was pleased with the plethora of specialized English courses that they offer across many disciplines: it makes me feel optimistic :D . I have lots of IT credentials, some marketing courses etc so I figure that there might be ways to leverage this into extra work with these kinds of programs.

Thanks very much for the info,

N.

Edited by Northwest87

Some of the Universities may offer other languages under a different Department, so look and see if a language is offered. Also--and forgive my spelling--Alliance Franciese--may be able to provide you with information on where you might be able to teach at the University level.

I believe the King's deceased sister was a supporter of French studies. So perhaps any schools she supports might offer French.

Some of the Universities may offer other languages under a different Department, so look and see if a language is offered. Also--and forgive my spelling--Alliance Franciese--may be able to provide you with information on where you might be able to teach at the University level.

I believe the King's deceased sister was a supporter of French studies. So perhaps any schools she supports might offer French.

Thanks! I'll have to look into this. It would be a sideline at best for me, but it's interesting to learn that there are more options than I thought. While I get my feet wet, I might have to grab whatever I can :)

N.

Edited by Northwest87