Best Home Automatic Blood Pressure Machine?

noahvail

Hi all,

For some unknown reason, my b/p is getting higher every time I see a doc. Last one was 160/102, which is not a good place to be. Asked several docs about it, and they said not to worry, it's nomal...which of course it isn't. They think it's just higher because I went to a doctor....sheesh...

So I want to get an automatic b/p machine for home use, and start tracking the readings.

Which brand and model would you recommend for the greatest accuracy?

Many thanks :-)

You're correct, 160/102 is waaaay to high. That wasn't even normal before they lowered what "normal" was defined as (now normal systolic is usually 130 and below, while it used to be 140 and below.

They may be correct about it being higher when you went to a doctor. That's called "white coat hypertension". There are many articles about it on the net. I recently read http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blo...sion-not-benign which I found very interesting.

Back in the States going to the doctor always lowered my hypertension. Here it's the opposite...it skyrockets when I go to the doctor. Not sure if I'm afraid of the quality of medical care here or that the doctor and I won't be able to communicate something important to my case...or what.

The brand I recommend is Omron. I've had very good luck with them and even find the same model I use is some doctors offices and hospitals. I think the model number is different here in Thailand, but look at Omron HEM-780 at Amazon.com. That's the model I've always used and seen in doctors offices and hospitals. It's available here in Bangkok, but again, I think the model number is different.

I've 2 BP machines that I bought outside Thailand. One is a wrist type (Tensoval) that you place around your wrist, press a button and it checks the BP. While easy to use it can give inaccurate readings.

The other type (PIC) which I would recommend has an arm band and a hand pump with tube that plugs into a box. You pump until you hear a beep and then wait for the result to show on the box. This more expensive type is supposed to be more accurate and is still easy to use.

Edited by Farma

To the OP get yourself to a reptile hospital and get that BP under control NOW. You are a major candidate for a stroke. I should know. :D

That's what I need, a good reptile hospital. :)

Seriously however, my BP was in that vicinity for years without rushing off to a hospital.

I now take 3 different drugs to keep it at reasonable levels.

I use an Omron M4.

Noah...

A diastolic reading of >100 is unlikely to be only "white coat syndrome".

And the docs you quote don't sound very with it, to say the least. You should see a good internist.

The BP machine I use currently is a Nissei brand Model DS-157. Works OK.

Sheryl, where can you get those in Thailand?

mine was 180/120 till the hospital got me on meds, now I get dizzy spells a bit and pins and needles in legs really quick when sit on the floor Thai Style, so figure I need to see how the pressure is when these occur.

Noah...

A diastolic reading of >100 is unlikely to be only "white coat syndrome".

And the docs you quote don't sound very with it, to say the least. You should see a good internist.

The BP machine I use currently is a Nissei brand Model DS-157. Works OK.

Hi Sheryl,

I know about 'white coat syndrome' - kind of the opposite of a placebo :)

I'm not on any meds for it at this time. The last time a doc prescribed Propanalol, which is at it turns out is contraindicated to three of my meds (and I always bring my medlist along). I ended up psychotic and suicidal - not fun to be around; the psydoc got me off that right away. After that experience, I now check *everything* against rxlist.com or mims.com.

Went to a doc yesterday after noon for heat exhaustion - again, I should have known better...and it came up 150/90.

Anyway, I'm getting a b/p machine tomorrow, and really track it, and graph it out, so I can show it to the docs and get something benign to lower it.

Thanks one and all.

Reptile hospital??? I know my skin is a bit scaly, but...... :D

We have a omron model HEM-773 and it works great. Will keep track of your blood pressure and the time of day for 20 readings (I think) so you can take the info into the Dr. and it is helpful. Will keep track for 2 people.

Have had it about 4 or 5 years and it works just as well as the day we got it. Took it to the Dr. when we got it and he checked the accuracy of it for me. It was spot on. Don't recall the price, but highly recommend it.

Mine is an OMRON

Bought in a medical shop in Surin

Was about 2000

I had a stroke in Thailand in June 2008 my bp before the stroke was 230 / 150.

With your measurement I'd get a doctor to give you something like an ACE inhibitor to lower it.

Its no fun having a stroke - I was paralysed and had a Tracheostomy so was unable to speak for 4 months.

Making a recovery but its a slow process.

Edited by croftrobin

Microlife is also a good brand. BP AQ1 30 memmories is handy and very reasonable price. See many people use it and they have no problem.

You should be able to buy it for less than 2K.

As many posters said you have to take some med to control your BP, there are plenty of other medications to reduce blood pressure if Betablocker is contraindication.

Hi again folks,

Well, I decided on an Omron SEM-1 for 2,300 baht. For home use, but has the 20 memory plus 2 user, date and time, and so on.

Saw my psydoc, and it's accurate with 2 points - which can be attributed to breathing :) But the odd thing was the result: 148/84. Acceptable enough, but I'll keep on working on getting it down. It still seems strange that the other docs got those really high readings. Maybe I was having bad days?

Many thanks for all your posts, your help, and your advice. :D

Hi again folks,

Well, I decided on an Omron SEM-1 for 2,300 baht. For home use, but has the 20 memory plus 2 user, date and time, and so on.

Saw my psydoc, and it's accurate with 2 points - which can be attributed to breathing :) But the odd thing was the result: 148/84. Acceptable enough, but I'll keep on working on getting it down. It still seems strange that the other docs got those really high readings. Maybe I was having bad days?

Many thanks for all your posts, your help, and your advice. :D

My doc in America would be very displeased with those numbers if they were consistent. In the "old days", most considered the upper level of normal to be 140/90, then they dropped that upper level to 130/85. My doc wants me at least in the 120s over low 80s.

Well, I think there are two things you have to look at with blood pressure.

In the short term, high numbers can be brought on by anything from an excessive amount of salt on one particular day to (as you put it) a bad day when you're body's just out of sync, to stress...many things. The 148/84 you quoted...my doc would say that's okay on one of those bad days. He even told me that if I had the odd reading that hit over 150/90, don't panic.

Then there's the long term, and consistently high numbers there can harm other body functions.

Having been in the emergency room eight different times during one period of my life when BP was out of control...to the point they did a brain scan twice and extensive eye exams to see if there had been permanent damage...I've seen the same nurse take my blood pressure 3 times in 15 minutes and get significantly different readings.

Good luck and keep working on it!