Top Army, Navy Units Readied For Red-Shirts Dispersal

webfact

some red shirts said that they'd know if soldiers were heading their way if the 24-hour convenience stores suddenly started shutting down and mobile phone signals were cut off.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

shut 'em down & switch 'em off and let the dog see the rabbit.....

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some red shirts said that they'd know if soldiers were heading their way if the 24-hour convenience stores suddenly started shutting down and mobile phone signals were cut off.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

Who is "let's" - You are in Singapore? Why are you so keen for a full-on fight here in Thailand? I am not stalking you just amazed at what you advocate?

... <snip for sanity> ...

revolution might be in progress

Leave my farang friends because this will get real ugly sooner or later.

PS

It is just a matter of time before farangs from the left join the fight.

then all whites will be targeted by the regime.

It's already ugly, seeing black-clad terrorists killing soldiers, and innocent red-shirt supporters being urged into conflict, how much more ugly will it get, and what's the source of your seemingly-inside-information for this ? :)

Anyone who thinks we farangs (white or otherwise) would run, if we really thought our spouses & families & homes were endangered, just doesn't know or understand farangs who live here at all.

As for left-wing farangs joining the "fight" (surely that should read "peaceful protest" ? !), or the regime having a problem with (white only again ?) peaceful/non-participating foreigners, this is IMO pure scare-mongering. To what end, one might wonder, if one gave it any credence at all ? :D

So the no colour shirt rally in Silom ended peacefully last night, didn't it? NOT! Just goes to show what colour these no colour folk really are (Yellow). They've just put their yellow shirts in the wash for a couple of months, that's all. The no colour shirts never come out when the Yellows are protesting do they? Same same I think.

And according to their chants, these no colour shirts (Yellows) are fighting for king and country, which for them means attacking taxi drivers wanting to earn a living and beating up less fortunate protesters of democracy. I've seen them myself in action at Victory Monument in the late afternoon lashing out at anyone who doesn't agree with them and doesn't want to read their fairy tale.

The situation must be hitting these Silom folk hard. Why couldn't the Reds have protested when the baht was much higher than the pound and dollar so they could transfer some of their money back over? And now they won't be able to send their youngest to the UK to do his Master's. Hard times indeed...

... Meanwhile, back on the money-spinning farm, another bumper harvest, so those greedy, lazy farmers won't have to work for the rest of the year. They're raking it in. And they're each being paid 1,000 baht per day to come to Bangkok to create chaos. Those trouble-making rural folk waving their wealth in the faces of the poor Bangkok traders. It's a wonder how this class divide and social system has survived for so long. :-)

Even if Abhisit promised general elections in 6 months how much can he be trusted ?

a- He change his mind all the time . First army no live ammo , then have live ammo but only shoot in the air , then now we know for a fact some shot live bullets at innocent reds rank and file

b- He is not even in control himself . He reports to the army . he owes his job to them

He has to keep up with the redshirts... first redshirts say peaceful protest..no weapons..then always turn violent somehow..with plenty of weapons and ammos.. so you expect the army to fight with just a stick and plastic shield while redshirts bombarding them with all kinda weapons? It's redshirts who never kept their words.

Situation change after 26 people are dead (and number raising). And how many injured? Almost a thousand.

Edited by chantorn

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

Who is "let's" - You are in Singapore? Why are you so keen for a full-on fight here in Thailand? I am not stalking you just amazed at what you advocate?

why are you amazed?

there was no mention of a full on fight in my post

in fact most of my posts advocate scaring the enemy not killing them

i was in Bangkok yesterday now i am back in Singapore

in my opinion, this is a good strategy

use the reds own paranoid thoughts against them

close the stores, block the mobiles and see who moves to action

it may reveal the positions and identitys of the violent protaganists without a shot being fired by anyone

it might just save the lives of some of the more general protestors who aren't toting guns and ready to kill

isn't that a good thing?

Edited by blackman

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

why are you amazed?

it may reveal the positions and identitys of the violent protaganists without a shot being fired by anyone

it might just save the lives of some of the more general protestors who aren't toting guns and ready to kill

isn't that a good thing?

Singapore have nothing to gain.

When western tourist avoid Thailand, they will avoid Asia all together. Singapore lose out too.

Singapore & Thailand are best friend. Friends for life.

Edited by chantorn

Nonsense

Just empty threats from the regime.

No tanks in the city now.

This means the army is split and not supporting the regime in full.

Hundreds of army snipers in black are supporting the reds and it is growing each day.

They can push back any armed attack with their weapons and skills. if need be, they will simply allow the buildings to be destroyed and move to another area to defend.

What happens when major army groups join their brothers in Black to defend their people?

They boys from the countryside will not sit there and allow a non-Democratic regime to shoot down their people in the streets.

revolution might be in progress

Leave my farang friends because this will get real ugly sooner or later.

PS

It is just a matter of time before farangs from the left join the fight.

then all whites will be targeted by the regime.

But the red leaders have said they don't know the blacks and that the reds are non violent .

Well they would say that wouldn't they.

You think Ben Franklin went to England and told them to their faces, the elite, that he and his boys were going to rip lose from the King Of England?

NO

Well actually, John Adams was the first American minister to England after the war.

Franklin, T. Jefferson and John Adams did just that to England via the French government

and via the English Ambassador to the French court.

...Appointed by Congress a joint commissioner (with Benjamin Franklin and Arthur Lee) to France, John Adams sailed from Boston

with his son John Quincy in February 1778. In the summer of 1779, father and son returned to Massachusetts where Adams was

elected to represent Braintree at the convention to frame a state constitution. The Constitution of 1780, drafted by John Adams,

is the oldest written constitution in the world still in effect.

The following year, Congress elected Adams to negotiate treaties of peace and commerce with Great Britain;

he consequently returned to Europe in November 1779, accompanied by his two eldest sons, John Quincy and Charles.

Additional commissions soon followed: one to negotiate a Dutch loan and another to negotiate a treaty of amity

and commerce with the Netherlands. Adams was also elected a joint commissioner

(with Franklin, John Jay, Henry Laurens, and Thomas Jefferson) to treat for peace with Great Britain.

Seventeen eighty-two was a banner year for John Adams—he secured recognition of the United States in the Netherlands,

contracted the first of four loans from Amsterdam bankers to provide crucial financial aid for the United States,

and signed a treaty of amity and commerce with the Netherlands. In September 1783, after nearly a year of negotiation,

Adams and his fellow commissioners signed the Definitive Peace Treaty with Great Britain.

From 1785 to 1788 John Adams served as the first American minister to the Court of St. James's in London.

After eight years abroad—in France, the Netherlands, and Great Britain, where Abigail had joined him in 1784—

Adams returned to the United States....

So essentially yes Franklin did tell England to it's face.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

why are you amazed?

isn't that a good thing?

Singapore have nothing to gain.

When western tourist avoid Thailand, they will avoid Asia all together. Singapore lose out too.

Singapore & Thailand are best friend. Friends for life.

Chatorn what he says makes good sense,

to make the ringers show themselves from playing the Reds paranoia against them.

The army doesn't want to hurt the rank and file reds, they do NEED, different than want,

to neutralize the violent segment hiding within the reds,

and return Bangkok to something resembling normalcy.

Blackman's ideas generally are logically thought out.

And just because he is in Singapore doesn't mean he:

a ) is Singaporean.

b ) is Singapore government.

c ) is not not closely connected with Thailand,

Thai people and Thai interests.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

why are you amazed?

isn't that a good thing?

How do I know you are not trying to mislead me in this operation? Can I trust that you are not pulling me into a trap, given your 15 years + experience in pys ops? :)

Edited by danc

^rick - think you are right. hehehe TV's legless post of the day!! :)

It will certainly take some beating mate.Ting Tong springs to mind!

Cheers, Rick

I can agree with you both... How odd.

Just remove the little " i " and it all becomes clear....

Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

But I thought the whole point of Special Operations deployments was that you don't tell the other side you're coming :)

thats true Crossy, if you want to surprise and kill them outright

if you don't, then its good strategy to instill a little fear in the enemy

let them know and see whats coming and give some time for those who don't have the stomach for a fight to leave

i believe i advocated this in my post yesterday

looks like someone in authority was reading it...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rajprasong-H...ts-t357069.html #13

this article gets to the root of the problem in trying to remove these protesters

the authorities have allowed then to get comfortable, they are well fed and watered

they have bathing facilities, toilets and entertainment.

if it came to a fight they are well rested and ready for it

the authorities should effect some measures to change that situation before making any efforts to move them

a little sleep deprevation would go a long way towards success

so lets bring in some huge mobile disco units, surround the site with them safe behind army/police lines and serande them with some very sad Thai songs that refer to dead relatives, lost loves, long dead favourite buffaloes, loss of sons, daughters, motorbikes etc

lets set the tone for a massive loss, lets get people thinking about a loss/death of a relative.

lets get them thinking about their own mortality and how their death might affect their family

lets get some huge projectors and use it to project images onto nearby buildings, of their beloved leader and his HiSo family enjoying the high life on his private planes, private yachts and reflecting his extravagent living in expensive hotels.

there is no need for sound, just add subtitles that tell them how Thaksin is spending the money he stole from them and how he is travelling the world in luxury whilst they sleep on the streets.

you could do comparison shots, him-you, him-you

a general mood should be created of anticipation of an attack by the troops

one that will come in the early hours

paranoia should be introduced at every opportunity

the minds of the combatants will do the rest

bring in some big troop carrying helicopters in the daytime and very loudly and very visibly drop heavily armed troops on to the top of buildings surrounding the rally area

have them dramatically drop down ropes to the roofs SAS style

these guys do not need to actaully be military, they could even be amateur mountaineers, no need for them to have weapons

this can be documented by officials before hand

its just to introduce a little paranoia to the crowd

start and encourage rumours amongst the crowd that they are surrounded by hundreds of snipers.

let them think that every time they see the glint of the sun on a window its a snipers scope

this can easily be done by officials infiltrating the crowd

Thais love rumours

have a few very visible and highly publicised drive bys of the area by big tanks laden with fully armed troops with very visible weapons like rocket launchers, grenade launchers and maybe even towing some howitzers.

let the reds see whats actually on the move against them

more paranoia

lets have some very visible substantial troop movements by some very heavily armed troops

preferably known to be from the south or the borders with Burma and Cambodia were they are used to dealing with insurgents

have them fly into Don Mueng live on TV

this should be highly publicised and rumours about what they are doing in Bangkok should be circulated to the reds

rumours should circulate that martial law is going to be introduced

rumours should indicate a shoot to kill policy is in place for those who do not obey the armys orders

rumours should tell the reds that they should write letters to their loved ones and family whilst they have a last chance to do so

more paranoia

rumours should circulate that somehow the army has added some kind of powerful sleeping draft to the water supplies

also to the bottled water being supplied to them

also to the food, and that they should treat everything with suspicion now

tell them if they feel sleepy they should report to the medical tent immediately

tell them they should not go to sleep and that it could be dangerous to go to sleep

tell them its the same kind of drug that katoeys use on clients in Pattaya, they will know of many that have died whilst being robbed.

to make sure show news clippings in Thai on the projectors of the deaths

more paranoia, less sleep

at night when things do settle down, the army should safely detonate huge exposive charges in the immediate area

if not explosives then launch huge fireworks every 20 minutes

send off flares to illuminate the area

this will keep them awake and think that the war starting

it will make for less sleep and more paranoia

it may even flush out the ronin warriors who could be taken out by snipers

have some snipers stationed with their spotters with a recording equipped spotting scope

that way when the kill is made it can be seen afterwards by the media to have been on an armed person, not an innocent protestor and therefore a justifiable kill

in the early hours of the morning stealth helicopters could drop capsicum onto the crowd using a crop dusting attachment

fire fighting chanooks could drop thousands of gallons of water onto the stage and take out the electrics and give then a songkran treat too

one could get unidentified bodies from the morgue, dress them in red shirts and leave them in areas near to the rally

they should be in a position where they can easily be found

it should be rumoured that there are reds in the crowd that are with the army and government and that they are picking off the protestors one by one

they should be told to look at your neighbour with suspicion and care

you might be the next victim !

more paranoia.........

what happened to the body beforehand should be well documented and can be proven as false flag bodies later when the reds point fingers at the Army

rumours to promote paranoia and sleep depravation should circulate all the time, maybe that the US has joined the fight, maybe the SAS, the Gurkhas or Mossad

maybe that private contractors from Blackwater have flown into to Thailand from Iraq

maybe a local building should be blown up by the army as a message to the reds

the paranoia value would easily cover rebuilding costs

the red who go home every night and return next day should be made to stay at the rally ground and told that a night attack is coming and they are needed at the site to defend each other

keep them there all the time with false rumours and deprive them of sleep too

if i was in charge these reds would not have more than 10 minutes peace day or night

their heads would be full with black magic, broken buddahs, defeatist thoughts, paranoid ideas and rumours

their imagination would do what the army cannot do at this time

ok, i have to get on now, other points to address, feel free to add to the diversionary ideas i have proposed

remember all should be relatively non violent and should intended to increase paranoia and sleep depravation not to take lives

once they are literally tired out then the army should attempt move them

less sleep=less fight

dam_n... why aren't you in charge?!?!

But I thought the whole point of Special Operations deployments was that you don't tell the other side you're coming :)

let them know and see whats coming and give some time for those who don't have the stomach for a fight to leave

this article gets to the root of the problem in trying to remove these protesters

the authorities have allowed then to get comfortable, they are well fed and watered

the authorities should effect some measures to change that situation before making any efforts to move them

so lets bring in some huge mobile disco units, surround the site with them safe behind army/police lines and serande them with some very sad Thai songs that refer to dead relatives, lost loves, long dead favourite buffaloes, loss of sons, daughters, motorbikes etc

lets set the tone for a massive loss, lets get people thinking about a loss/death of a relative.

lets get them thinking about their own mortality and how their death might affect their family

lets get some huge projectors and use it to project images onto nearby buildings, of their beloved leader and his HiSo family enjoying the high life on his private planes, private yachts and reflecting his extravagent living in expensive hotels.

there is no need for sound, just add subtitles that tell them how Thaksin is spending the money he stole from them and how he is travelling the world in luxury whilst they sleep on the streets.

bring in some big troop carrying helicopters in the daytime and very loudly and very visibly drop heavily armed troops on to the top of buildings surrounding the rally area

these guys do not need to actaully be military, they could even be amateur mountaineers, no need for them to have weapons

start and encourage rumours amongst the crowd that they are surrounded by hundreds of snipers.

let them think that every time they see the glint of the sun on a window its a snipers scope

Thais love rumours

have a few very visible and highly publicised drive bys of the area by big tanks laden with fully armed troops with very visible weapons like rocket launchers, grenade launchers and maybe even towing some howitzers.

more paranoia

lets have some very visible substantial troop movements by some very heavily armed troops

preferably known to be from the south or the borders with Burma and Cambodia were they are used to dealing with insurgents

this should be highly publicised and rumours about what they are doing in Bangkok should be circulated to the reds

rumours should indicate a shoot to kill policy is in place for those who do not obey the armys orders

rumours should tell the reds that they should write letters to their loved ones and family whilst they have a last chance to do so

more paranoia

rumours should circulate that somehow the army has added some kind of powerful sleeping draft to the water supplies

tell them if they feel sleepy they should report to the medical tent immediately

tell them they should not go to sleep and that it could be dangerous to go to sleep

tell them its the same kind of drug that katoeys use on clients in Pattaya, they will know of many that have died whilst being robbed.

at night when things do settle down, the army should safely detonate huge exposive charges in the immediate area

have some snipers stationed with their spotters with a recording equipped spotting scope

that way when the kill is made it can be seen afterwards by the media to have been on an armed person, not an innocent protestor and therefore a justifiable kill

in the early hours of the morning stealth helicopters could drop capsicum onto the crowd using a crop dusting attachment

fire fighting chanooks could drop thousands of gallons of water onto the stage and take out the electrics and give then a songkran treat too

one could get unidentified bodies from the morgue, dress them in red shirts and leave them in areas near to the rally

it should be rumoured that there are reds in the crowd that are with the army and government and that they are picking off the protestors one by one

more paranoia.........

what happened to the body beforehand should be well documented and can be proven as false flag bodies later when the reds point fingers at the Army

rumours to promote paranoia and sleep depravation should circulate all the time, maybe that the US has joined the fight, maybe the SAS, the Gurkhas or Mossad

maybe that private contractors from Blackwater have flown into to Thailand from Iraq

the red who go home every night and return next day should be made to stay at the rally ground and told that a night attack is coming and they are needed at the site to defend each other

if i was in charge these reds would not have more than 10 minutes peace day or night

their heads would be full with black magic, broken buddahs, defeatist thoughts, paranoid ideas and rumours

ok, i have to get on now, other points to address, feel free to add to the diversionary ideas i have proposed

remember all should be relatively non violent and should intended to increase paranoia and sleep depravation not to take lives

less sleep=less fight

You da man Blackman.

Simply put; worn out tired fighters; fight weaker, fight with less clarity,

and give up faster from fatigue driven depression, than those allowed to

rest and feed and relax.

A shorter less violent fight, means fewer injuries on all sides.

Edited by animatic

Thais love rumours

more paranoia

more paranoia

more paranoia.........

less sleep=less fight

Upstairs in his bedroom, he is, though he does delegate and Big Ted holds the fort when his mum calls him for his tea :D

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

lets do that then

why are you amazed?

isn't that a good thing?

How do I know you are not trying to mislead me in this operation? Can I trust that you are not pulling me into a trap, given your 15 years + experience in pys ops? :)

see a little paranoia works wonders...........

however you should improve your reading skills i never said anything about pys ops, however i am well known for piss ups

No demonstration in Silom was said !

No groups of people !

Will use tear gas and if necessary live ammo !

What happens ?

Multi-colour shirts take over Silom, have anti-Thaksin protest and yet the Army and government does nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't say 'no demonstrations'. That is in your head. They however positioned out soldiers to make sure there was no illegal occupation of the business area by the known trouble makers.

Besides, both non-color and red fans managed to gather, on their own, and have a shout-out.

You would have been more happy if they shot and killed both red's and non-colored?

So the no colour shirt rally in Silom ended peacefully last night, didn't it? NOT! Just goes to show what colour these no colour folk really are (Yellow).

/../

The situation must be hitting these Silom folk hard. Why couldn't the Reds have protested when the baht was much higher than the pound and dollar so they could transfer some of their money back over? And now they won't be able to send their youngest to the UK to do his Master's. Hard times indeed...

The non-color did NOT go to the red camp and started a fight. The only fighting recorded was a RED shirt that came to them.

So, yes, you are correct that the rally wasn't fully peaceful, as it was disturbed by some RED shirt thugs. All in the good name of not understanding true democracy.

And thanks for your valuable insight into how little you understand about the Silom area. But my son will be happy to know that he will be going to the UK to get his masters on oh-so-many years from now. I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford it, but with your clever money-exchange scheme it will be all set.

Thais love rumours

more paranoia

more paranoia

more paranoia.........

less sleep=less fight

OTT, especially the bodies from the morgue part, strewn about in red shirts, but this is the kind of operation carried out against Manuel Noreiga when he took refuge in an embassy in Panama..........eventually the worn out and completely frazzled Noreiga finally negotiated his own surrender, went on to be tried and convicted. This is basic good stuff, just a bit OTT. Thailand however never could get its act together enuff to conceive or organize such an operation, not to mention all the leaking of plans and info that would get to the Reds well in advance of any actions. Nice try though. :D

At least the press is free to say what it wants at the moment (and we also fall into this category on TV). Alot of folks seem to have forgotten what it was like in Thailand before the coup.

And a lot of folks seem to have forgotten who owns and controls the TV stations.

At least the press is free to say what it wants at the moment (and we also fall into this category on TV). Alot of folks seem to have forgotten what it was like in Thailand before the coup.

And a lot of folks seem to have forgotten who owns and controls the TV stations.

Channel 3 is owned by a family whose son was in Thaksin's cabinet.

....This video was also aired during a press conference with a military official along with numerous others in the days after the incident. One thing that was pointed out during the press conference is this poor guy was shot in the front of the head after he turned and faced the Red Shirt crowd. In other words the shot came from within the Red Shirts and not from where the military was positioned.

Why "within"? Behind is just as likely.

You later noted that it may have come from "ground level". Given the numbers and proximity of others, this would mean at a range of a couple of metres or less, which hardly seems likely.

free to say what it wants? I was quite shocked when I read that - Thailand has many plus points but is heavily censored

As I've noted many times, there are elite units of the army which over decades and generationally always are screened and specially trained to be fiercely loyal. These same select units, by name/number and the generational turnover of commanders and chain of command are the units whose officers of all ranks and soldiers always are called on to do the dirty work. The army as a whole are bystanders in uniform who remain in the background while the small number of select elite loyalist units, their officers from top to bottom, the select NCO's and the screened and specially trained rank and file soldiers do whatever is necessary to assert control over a situation. Eilte units, specially selected commanders and officers, nco's and rank and file, specially screened and fiercely loyalist troops. Whatever is necessary.

I disagree somewhat. It is all based upon the loyalty to the specific commander and who the classmates are. I have already explained this in another thread. The units being deployed now are all related to the 1st Army RDF which includes the Royal Guards. The Roya Guards are Prem's. Gen. Anapung served in the Royal Guards. The 1st was his army when he participated in the coup and that is the only army he can count on. The 3rd while a coup participant may be shaky if there is no opportunity for personal advancement for its officers.

Correct, GK.

This point is continually claimed, and some even name the "loyal" units, but it really is adding 2 + 2 and making a dozen. Whenever a unit is named as being involved in putting down a particular protest there is never any follow up, even when it is requested, to show the subsequent times when the same unit was used against other protesters. Why? Because it didn't happen.

Unit loyalty, as you rightly say, depends on the individual commanders and on personal contact. The idea that there are "specially screened and fiercely loyalist troops", down to the lowest level, "screened and specially trained to be fiercely loyal" over decades and generations, is baseless and there is nothing to support this ridiculous idea.

I am amazed that there are still some farangs about who believe that this is "not about Thaksin", that this about "red v Yellows", that this is about a fight for democracy and a larger share of the cake for the rural poor. I just don't understand where you are coming from.

This movement is not dissimilar to the National Socialism that prevailed in pre-war Germany from 1928 to 1933. Any analysis of the rise of fascism makes it, to me anyhow, quite obvious that there are huge parallels between now in Thailand and the pre-war period in Germany.

The National Socialists were very skilled in playing upon the emotions of the participants at their rallies. In doing so they avoided the necessity of logical argument or the presentation of issues which would form the basis of a political programme that would benefit the mass of the people. Hitler's Mein Kampf explains that mass psychological manipulation must dispense with argumentation and at the same time he never explained what the shape of society would look like after the imposition of national socialism. He was pretty adept at camouflaging defeats and covering important facts with illusions and these were the psychological skills that bought him to power - they were then reinforced with terror and brutality, which he was able to get away with at the time because of his psychological conditioning of the masses.

This is why I oppose this movement. The reds are akin to the national socialists and Thaksin is their 'Hitler'. What people have referred here to as Thaksin's 'lies' is really about the illusions - including self delusion - that he creates. He is too transparent for some whilst others, who have been psychologically conditioned as a mass, do not see any contradiction.

I have spent my life as a human rights activist and have been employed by Amnesty International in the 1970s. I have witnessed, rarely at first hand I must say, the terror wreaked upon the innocent masses by Idi Amin, Marcos, Mugabe, Sadam Hussein, Pinochet and many more. To me, Thaksin is no different. He comes from the same breed of individuals who can only deal with their own personal inadequacies through the lust for power, through greed and ultimately through brutality.

Thaksin's so called war on drugs which resulted in the extra-judicial killings of more than 2,500 souls was another illusion. Were they all drug dealers? Some of the victims were drug users dragged out of drop-in centres, others were political opponents and (perhaps) others were chosen at random. The killing of your own people within a rally of your own supporters would not be out of the question for one so ruthless.

I ask all of you who are prone to support the reds, or who believe in the illusionary calls for democracy, to think again. Thailand is a land of simple people (definition: not hugely educated, no real understanding of democracy, wont to believe those of higher status), easily manipulated as a mass and what they need is a government who understands democracy, who can truly educate the nation's children and who can create a land that fits the peaceful buddhist images that are associated with this land. For the first time Thailand has a prime minister who understands these issues - and although he may be surrounded by people who are not carved from the same stone, he's got a fighting chance to turn the nation around. The fascists know this so they had to act fast and the seizure of Thaksin's stolen assets was just the catalyst needed, not because of the event, but because psychologically it was the opportune time.

(I posted this on another thread, but it is worth repeating)

free to say what it wants? I was quite shocked when I read that - Thailand has many plus points but is heavily censored

There was a time well over a decade ago in the period just after Suchinda went down and for 2 or 3 years after that when Thiland had the freest and most vibrant media in SE Asia maybe even Asia. It was held as shining example to others. Sadly those days are long gone.

As I've noted many times, there are elite units of the army which over decades and generationally always are screened and specially trained to be fiercely loyal. These same select units, by name/number and the generational turnover of commanders and chain of command are the units whose officers of all ranks and soldiers always are called on to do the dirty work. The army as a whole are bystanders in uniform who remain in the background while the small number of select elite loyalist units, their officers from top to bottom, the select NCO's and the screened and specially trained rank and file soldiers do whatever is necessary to assert control over a situation. Eilte units, specially selected commanders and officers, nco's and rank and file, specially screened and fiercely loyalist troops. Whatever is necessary.

I disagree somewhat. It is all based upon the loyalty to the specific commander and who the classmates are. I have already explained this in another thread. The units being deployed now are all related to the 1st Army RDF which includes the Royal Guards. The Roya Guards are Prem's. Gen. Anapung served in the Royal Guards. The 1st was his army when he participated in the coup and that is the only army he can count on. The 3rd while a coup participant may be shaky if there is no opportunity for personal advancement for its officers.

Correct, GK.

This point is continually claimed, and some even name the "loyal" units, but it really is adding 2 + 2 and making a dozen. Whenever a unit is named as being involved in putting down a particular protest there is never any follow up, even when it is requested, to show the subsequent times when the same unit was used against other protesters. Why? Because it didn't happen.

Unit loyalty, as you rightly say, depends on the individual commanders and on personal contact. The idea that there are "specially screened and fiercely loyalist troops", down to the lowest level, "screened and specially trained to be fiercely loyal" over decades and generations, is baseless and there is nothing to support this ridiculous idea.

Personal contacts and 'networking' always are vital in any society, especially so in not only Thailand but in the Old World. The rank and class of your pal in the army is especially important but there's more to it than that, as I've observed and as reported by the BBC in another thread, a report which mentioned specific Infantry units: the 2nd, the 12th and the 21st. I dunno why there's such intense denial by certain people of realities.

There was a time well over a decade ago in the period just after Suchinda went down and for 2 or 3 years after that when Thiland had the freest and most vibrant media in SE Asia maybe even Asia. It was held as shining example to others. Sadly those days are long gone.

Let's hope they return one day - free press and free speech is a sign of a mature democracy - which tells us? we have a long way to go - I often see Thailand (no offence to Thais) as politically 12 years old - not even into their teens yet whereas developed nations can often be in their 30s and 40s - it's the way it is.

Also this red shirt movement is paid for by Taksin. People are being paid to come and protest in Bangkok.

So people keep on (and on ... and on and on ...) repeating. My sister-in-law (from Issan, works in Bangkok) went to join the protest today. During the Government House occupation and its aftermath she had been offered money to join either side (300 baht for the yellows, 200 for the reds), but she did not go (she does have a job in Bangkok!). This time she made it clear that no money was offered to her or to her friends who have also gone, nor do they know of anyone else there who is there "for the money", although she does know some pick-up drivers who brought others from Issan whose fuel costs were covered. Rightly or wrongly, she went because she thinks it is the right thing to do and she wants her grandchildren to grow up in a country where their vote counts as much as anyone else's, and she genuinely believes that unless something is done now that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future.

Interesting the development: the hi-so red shirt leaders who have been staying in hotels are now going to sleep on the streets! They are organising VIP toilets with aircon for themselves! These toilets won't be available to all the red shirts.

Not much "interesting" or surprising about that. It has nothing to do with "VIP" status: if the leaders have to queue up with everyone else, or are tired because they have slept rough, etc, then they won't be able to concentrate on what they are there for - to lead. If there is only one bed available for a platoon, who sleeps in it? The officer commanding it, not because he is "an officer", but because he needs it more than anyone else so that he can do his job properly for the benefit of those he is leading.