Bangkok's Financial Heart Under Guard As Rallies Loom

webfact

Bangkok's financial heart under guard as rallies loom - Scene

by Patrick Falby

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Sharp-suited Bangkok office workers on their Monday commute stepped around barbed wire and armed soldiers as thousands of security forces poured in to guard the city's buzzing business heart.

"People are frightened there might be a war," said Chanalai Chatniramon, 26, as she chopped sausage in a cafe in the Silom financial hub where troops have descended to block plans for an anti-government rally.

"Many people are scared, some don't want to come downtown," said 61-year-old Prom Lavoix as she ate her lunch in the district where most businesses remained open despite the intimidating military presence.

After a month of massive disruption in Bangkok where "Red Shirt" protesters are staging rolling demonstrations, others were furious that the crisis had now encroached on the strip of banks and corporate headquarters.

"The military is very brutal," ranted a doctor from the seat of his BMW as he drove to work at a Silom hospital. "Why are these soldiers on the streets? This is power without reason -- they're protecting their assets."

Close to the corporate towers of the Silom district lies the notorious nightlife hub of Patpong -- but troops with guns replaced dancing bargirls in a pre-dawn deployment designed to prevent rallies from spreading there.

Alert-looking soldiers crouched with assault rifles on walkways above Silom's main thoroughfare, while as the day drew on others napped in shady spots on the roadside to escape the fierce Thai heat.

The army warned the troops were carrying live ammunition, keeping tensions high in the city where nine days ago a failed crackdown saw clashes that left 25 people dead in Thailand's worst civil unrest for nearly two decades.

Tens of thousands of Reds, mostly from the impoverished rural north, have massed in the capital to campaign for fresh elections to replace a government they condemn as undemocratic and the tool of the elites.

Their current rally base is an upmarket shopping and hotel district not far from Silom, which they had warned would be their next target in a move that triggered the army manoeuvre.

Reds leader Nattawut Saikuar accused the troops of creating a "battlefield" on Silom and said they would now make a last-minute decision on where to direct their thousands of supporters Tuesday.

The protesters appeared well in control of the sprawling area where they are encamped. Long rows of tents -- providing sleeping areas, medical care and clothes stalls have been set up in a formidable logistical base.

With no police in sight, the Reds were operating checkpoints and directing traffic around blockades they have erected along stretches of some of Bangkok's busiest streets.

"If the army comes to our place there will be fighting," said one of the many Reds camped out in Lumpini Park, which is strategically located between the protest base and the Silom district.

"We are all Thai people. Don't use your rifles, we want democracy!" boomed a voice via a loudspeaker from the park.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-19

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Uhmm, how is it a "joke" and or "business as usual"? I have a very bad feeling about tomorrow.

Not just about tomorrow tho', it doesn't bode well for the foreseeable future. I hope a full blown riot/war can be averted.

The country needs to return to "some sort" of normality.

PS we definitely want to avoid NORMALCY whoever he/she is.

" "The military is very brutal," ranted a doctor from the seat of his BMW as he drove to work at a Silom hospital. "Why are these soldiers on the streets? This is power without reason -- they're protecting their assets." "

An interesting comment. Based on the stereotyping in the press and this forum, I would not have expected this obviously well off man to make such comments.

" "The military is very brutal," ranted a doctor from the seat of his BMW as he drove to work at a Silom hospital. "Why are these soldiers on the streets? This is power without reason -- they're protecting their assets." "

An interesting comment. Based on the stereotyping in the press and this forum, I would not have expected this obviously well off man to make such comments.

I wonder why that Dr. has not sold the BMW and moved up country to provide free health care to the poor he is so worried about. I mean clearly he is not concerned about "face" he drives the BMW as it's the best value car to purchase in Thailand... :)

Is it just me or have the Nation's articles adopted a more sympatheric stance in the recent week?

Brings to mind the return of Napoleon. At first the newspapers were very hostile and then as Napoleon's forces came closer to Paris, the newspapers become more supportive, finally lauding him as a liberator.

Just an observation, but I get the feeling that some opinions change depending on who is perceived as having the momentum.

The Bangkok Post has been consisten though with balanced articles, well as balanced as can be expected from the BP :) The PDN has just done what it does best, reported the facts and left out biases.

Edited by geriatrickid

Uhmm, how is it a "joke" and or "business as usual"? I have a very bad feeling about tomorrow.

They are wrecking their own country. The establishment is sacrifying the children of the poor. These soldiers are childish babyfaces (who have guns), not experienced warriors who could control a delicate situation. Serious incidents are now preprogrammed.

At least the THB has now a negative outlook: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fitch-low...tive-2010-04-19

Meanwhile the rampant revolution will continue. Again: 62 million people can not be kept slaves of 100 000 forever.

Is it just me or have the Nation's articles adopted a more sympatheric stance in the recent week?

Brings to mind the return of Napoleon. At first the newspapers were very hostile and then as Napoleon's forces came closer to Paris, the newspapers become more supportive, finally lauding him as a liberator.

Just an observation, but I get the feeling that some opinions change depending on who is perceived as having the momentum.

The Bangkok Post has been consisten though with balanced articles, well as balanced as can be expected from the BP :D The PDN has just done what it does best, reported the facts and left out biases.

Here's a well balanced red shirt publication. :)

http://www.2bangkok.com/10/RedPublicationsCommunist.shtml

I wonder why that Dr. has not sold the BMW and moved up country to provide free health care to the poor he is so worried about. I mean clearly he is not concerned about "face" he drives the BMW as it's the best value car to purchase in Thailand... :)

I think its an intellegence thing. The PAD elite are not you Bangkok middle classes, office managers etc, they are your seriously rich untouchable multi millionaires.

I said after the Riots last year that the PAD supporters were nearer in social terms and have been oppressed almost as much. The middle classes are only a bit richer than the poor and are certainly not in a league where they should be providing support to the aging elites.

The good doctor with his salary and BMW, knows he is a long way from being as rich as the people behind the scenes. He too will be closer in terms of wealth to the poorest farmers than he is to lovely Mark, Thuagsabon and the rest of their ilk.

Here's a well balanced red shirt publication. :)

http://www.2bangkok.com/10/RedPublicationsCommunist.shtml

I really can't wait for the Red sympathizers/supporters to step up and defend that one. They will though, no doubt. I get the feeling most of them would have been cheering the "People's Army" as they entered Phnom Penh in '75.

Perhaps they are aware how urgently the Thais need to be disciplinated :D and communism would certainly achieve this goal - with the disastrous final consequences we all know. Finish the LOS and "sabay sabay". Kind of a collective autopunishment.

Clearly the establishment has to be softly dismantled, but communism is not the solution. But heavy taxes on assets and land reforms are. A kind of social democrat constitutional monarchy British style could achieve this. This could also return to be more liberal when time will be ripe.

Unfortunately this is all going to go pear-shaped in the next few days. It seems like both sides want a war and I think they are about to get it. :D

If Abhisit or the army wanted a war, they would have started it a month ago.

Abhisit has no control on what the army does or does not do. :)

Unfortunately this is all going to go pear-shaped in the next few days. It seems like both sides want a war and I think they are about to get it. :D

If so he should resign because as the supposed leader of the nation, people will hold him accountable for the outcome.

Edited by RussellHantz

If so he should resign because as the supposed leader of the nation, people will hold him accountable for the outcome.

Since when is anyone accountable for anything in Thailand.

The Bangkok Post has been consisten though with balanced articles, well as balanced as can be expected from the BP :) The PDN has just done what it does best, reported the facts and left out biases.

Not just you GK- from the portrayal, a month or so ago, of the red-shirts as nothing more than a non-representative handful of hired goons- to surprisingly frequent and mature ventures into social and economic analysis underlying the current mess. That being said though, the columnists who normally try to reduce the issues involved to the level of a child's comic book, haven't changed their tune too much. (as can be seen in the updates that webfact provides us- the usual- 'we' (the readers)=- and 'they' (the redshirts). If who ever posts those comments could rid him or herself of that supercilious sneering tone- the Nation might be on its way to reclaiming some respect.

However, if you read the foreign press- even the Amnesty International report- you will note that the Nation is being quoted- and hence, accorded the respect of a reliable national news organ- This certainly is bound to smarten up the general tenor around the old Remmingtons. They are now, perhaps, aware that they are preaching to more than the converted- that they are being regarded and will be accordingly judged, by their international colleagues as a mature news organ (which might be why we haven't seen those loopy Democracy vs Corruption editorials for a while- thank god.)

Edited by blaze

But what PM has had control over the army?

:D

They are wrecking their own country. The establishment is sacrifying the children of the poor. These soldiers are childish babyfaces (who have guns), not experienced warriors who could control a delicate situation. Serious incidents are now preprogrammed.

At least the THB has now a negative outlook: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fitch-low...tive-2010-04-19

Meanwhile the rampant revolution will continue. Again: 62 million people can not be kept slaves of 100 000 forever.

so why are 62 million not protesting?

Reds should go talk to people from Russia, Cuba, Laos, Cambodia, see how communism worked for them. Made more people poor, not rich.

I suggest they dont ask Abramovitch or one of the thousands of very afluent Russians who holiday in Thailand now...Communism is not all bad, it is the best system in the world providing individuals dont abuse it..