Yahoo! Mail Problems

craigt3365

Is anybody else having problems with the new Yahoo! mail? I can not forward emails, can not access the options, even having problems opening emails. All works well when I switch back to the classic format. I have the same problem with all of the 3 browsers I use. I got a call from a friend a few days ago. He is having the same problem.

Thanks!!!!

Convinced my GF to switch from Yahoo to Gmail long ago. The interface is too overloaded especially on Thailand's slow internet.

And best of all, free accounts don't come with POP access, which makes a smooth migration impossible..

Did they do yet another redesign or are you still struggling with the 'new' AJAX interface?

welo

Had problems yesterday trying to reply to an e mail at a Yahoo address,3 times had it returned undelivered although tried again today and it went ok.

I have a couple of Yahoo e mail accounts but don't use them as have experienced problems previously.

I've switched to gmail and found it to be excellent,never had a problem with them.

I had the same problem forwarding mail in my hotmail account using Cometbird on my desktop computer and Mozilla Firefox on the laptop.

gmail was no problem with either of the above.

My hotmail account will only forward mail using Internet explorer.

I've heard good things about gmail, but I've had my Yahoo! account since the very beginning. I can't really change as I have so many contacts that know that email address...it would be tough.

Started up Yahoo! email this morning and again...the same problems. Does not happen every day...just some days. I have Bit Defender AV...a paid for subscription...and scan daily. I un-installed both Chrome and FF...still no luck. And what makes me think it is something with them is my friend is now having the same problem...exactly. Can't forward, having problems replying, can't access the options...but all is well when we switch to the classic view.

I have read on some forums Yahoo is having problems with this Ajax interface...maybe that is the issue.

Can I read my Yahoo mail in gmail? If not, it won't work for me right now. I have 2 Yahoo accounts...one is for biz and it would be really tough to change it.

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I found an article on reading Yahoo mail in gmail....just as an FYI...I will post how this goes. Thanks to all!

Edited by craigt3365

OK...this is bizzare. Yahoo mail did not work properly in any of my 3 browsers. Now, it works fine in FF...but not in Google nor IE. How crazy is this...

I did read on some forums Yahoo is having major problems and trying to get things sorted out...maybe that is the issue...

If you get problems with various different browsers this obviously rules out a browser incompatibility issue :)

If you find reports on Yahoo having problems make sure the reports are recent. I find reports all over the net but they date back to several months ago. Didn't check very thoroughly though.

If you don't experience weird browser behavior with other websites I would attribute the problem to Yahoo. Also consider that Yahoo uses a network of worldwide servers and multiple server instances per location, so not all Yahoo accounts might have issues.

If the troubles continue over the next days and you don't find reports of other users, then you the culprit may be with your PC or your provider (ISP).

If possible check your mail account from a different computer and you can rule out problems with your PC.

If you rely on your emails and need a fix ASAP, you could also use ypops (http://ypopsemail.com/) together with a desktop email client like Thunderbird. But this might be tricky to setup, and might be even more confusing if the Yahoo service is really not stable at the moment.

For troubleshooting browser issues with AJAX websites make sure delete the temporary internet files in the browser to force a complete reload of all resources . Worth a try.

welo

To read Yahoo emails in Gmail you need to enable POP access or email forwarding in Yahoo, which is available as a paid service.

Then it is fairly easy to setup. You can even send emails from Gmail with your yahoo address as sender. Though recipients might see the sender as '[email protected] on behalf of [email protected]' depending on the program they use.

welo

If you get problems with various different browsers this obviously rules out a browser incompatibility issue :)

If you find reports on Yahoo having problems make sure the reports are recent. I find reports all over the net but they date back to several months ago. Didn't check very thoroughly though.

If you don't experience weird browser behavior with other websites I would attribute the problem to Yahoo. Also consider that Yahoo uses a network of worldwide servers and multiple server instances per location, so not all Yahoo accounts might have issues.

If the troubles continue over the next days and you don't find reports of other users, then you the culprit may be with your PC or your provider (ISP).

If possible check your mail account from a different computer and you can rule out problems with your PC.

If you rely on your emails and need a fix ASAP, you could also use ypops (http://ypopsemail.com/) together with a desktop email client like Thunderbird. But this might be tricky to setup, and might be even more confusing if the Yahoo service is really not stable at the moment.

For troubleshooting browser issues with AJAX websites make sure delete the temporary internet files in the browser to force a complete reload of all resources . Worth a try.

welo

Thanks. I did find several report of people having problems with AJAX recently. Some replies were from Yahoo staff saying they were working on the problem. Today, back to the same. FF not working properly now...none are. Crazy. I will try another PC. I hope it does not work! If it does, I might have a really nasty virus...

• 3 weeks later...

I just remembered how I switched my wife's Yahoo account to Gmail.

If you change the setting for 'preferred content' to 'Yahoo Asia' you can actually enable POP access for free. You can then use Gmail to fetch mails from your Yahoo account into Gmail automatically. Respond to emails from your new Gmail address and people will automatically start writing to your new gmail address. Of course you can keep the yahoo address indefinitely.

How to change to 'Yahoo Asia'

http://picobit.wordpress.com/2009/04/10/ya...ree-pop-access/

OR

http://www.snaphow.com/how-to-forward-inco...hout-mail-plus/

welo

Perfect. I am going to try and get that setup. I have been researching this Yahoo! problem for a few weeks. Everything seems to be back to normal. All browsers are working fine now. I think Yahoo! had some problems....obviously.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing: you can setup Gmail to either fetch emails from your Yahoo account via POP3, or you setup Yahoo to forward emails to your Gmail account.

I recommend using the forwarding service in Yahoo since it will avoid any time delays - Gmail checks other POP accounts only every 30 mintutes or so (you can trigger a check manually but cannot change the fetch interval).

How to setup Yahoo to forward emails to Gmail

http://picobit.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/ho...-mail-in-gmail/

You can also setup Gmail to send emails with your Yahoo address as sender (however, pls note that in some email programs like Outlook your sender address will show up as '[email protected]; on behalf of [email protected]'). So unfortunately this is not a suitable way to cleanly separate different email accounts.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/configure_goo...ent_sender.html

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/Sen..._with_Gmail.htm

Be prepared that the Gmail user interface is quite different from Yahoo, the graphical design is more 'tuned down', plain and simple, no 3D desktop imitation and such, but you will appreciate the speed and responsiveness, especially in slow-Internet-Thailand.

welo

Edited by welo