Idiot Farang (me) Overstays Visa By 40 Days By Accident.

so, i'm really living up to my user name here!!!!

i somehow was under the impression that my visa on arrival was good for 60 days under the TAT program to try to lure more tourists. so, thought i had a few days overstay- more like 40! yep- idiot.

given the horror stories i'm reading, i'd like to resolve this tomorrow, even though i should be leaving within a week- though i do not have a confirmed ticket right now (well, i have one for mid march- i decided to stay longer).

so... near as i can tell, no way around the rather hefty 500 baht/day penalty, which i've maxed out at the 20,000 baht.

questions:

1. do they take credit cards? i have plenty of credit, not much cash left without trying to send myself some.

2. i assume i cannot go to immigration to pay my fine without a plane ticket to prove when i will leave- correct?

3. i know it's easy to just pay the fine and go if at airport on the way out of Thailand, but is it the same at an immigration office? any danger of someone enforcing the rules before i can pay, and hauling my stupid butt off to jail?!?

4. if i want to extend, is there any way to do it in country at this point, or do i have to do a visa run (seems the answer is visa run only after i pay the fine, but wanted to make sure).

thanks.

idiot farang

Idiot Farang.... LOL :-) The stamp should say the last day/number of days you may stay in the country :-)...

I doubt if they take credit cards at immigration.

After 40 days over stay why not just fly out to Hanoi, KL, or Singapore and pay your fine at the airport. Just don't get yourself arrested between now and your departure date. I wouldn't do a border run if I were you - too risky and too many road blocks - what if they stop your bus and check everyone's passport....

Good luck.

Idiot Farang.... LOL :-) The stamp should say the last day/number of days you may stay in the country :-)...

I doubt if they take credit cards at immigration.

After 40 days over stay why not just fly out to Hanoi, KL, or Singapore and pay your fine at the airport. Just don't get yourself arrested between now and your departure date. I wouldn't do a border run if I were you - too risky and too many road blocks - what if they stop your bus and check everyone's passport....

Good luck.

yeah, the problem was that i gave it a cursory glance and the date in april looked right for the 60 days i thought i had. should have looked closer to see that was the Thai immigration stamp from a DIFFERENT TRIP- different year. oops. i've stayed in like 20 hotels- you'd think someone would have noticed my blatant overstay. nope. i noticed last night.

yeah, no plan for a border run. i see your point though, take a flight and deal with airport immigration vs going to main immigration. i really don't want to fly out for a day, but it may be the lowest stress option. i assume i would then get another 30 day visa on arrival when i come back- yes? i guess that would avoid visa fees...

Obviously you've overstayed for 40 days with no problem (as far as getting in trouble and getting arrested... lol) so staying a few more days wouldn't hurt.

Remember put a big smile be polite and just tell them the truth - They may write "Overstay" on your passport - But I believe they will NOT give you any problem when you return and will give you another 30 days permission to stay (not Visa On Arrival).

Good luck.

Get yourself a plane ticket pronto, go to the airport, pay the fine and be on your way. As said, keep a low profile until you get to the airport. Immigration will put a small overstay stamp in your passport, but if will not prevent re-entry or obtaining a future visa. You will get 30 day visa exempt entry stamp on re-entry. If planning to stay longer consider obtaining a tourist visa whilst outside the country.

Wow, good one! Sorry, but I did have to laugh! 60 day tourist visa's are free at a Thai Consulate or Embassy through next year. But you will have to pay the 20,000 Baht fine to leave the country at the airport. If you go to immigration now, you will have to pay the 20,000 and more for an 11 day extension. If you do a border run by land, 20,000 fine and you only get 15 days upon entry. If you get stopped by the police and they check your passport you will be thrown in jail, fined and deported. So, if you want to stay here longer, the best way is to go to KL by air, pay your 20,000 Baht fine at the airport, go to the Thai Embassy and get a free 60 day tourist visa. You'll have to submit it one day and pick it up the next, I do believe. It also depends where you are staying as to the cheapest flight to the closest Thai Embassy. Check the pinned posts about tourist visas. But if you want to stay I would try for the 60 day free tourist visa. There are also double entry tourist visas!

Good luck!

I just read within the past week they are issuing free tourist visas through to 2011. They were going to stop issuing them this month, but due to the problems in Bangkok they have extended the free tourist visa program. It may depend on the Embassy or consulate. And according to the TV's expert on visa's:

Yesterday, 2010-04-19 10:40:28

Post #2

Star Member

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 326

A tourist visa will be about 1,000 baht or free. Penang may not issue a new tourist visa if you already have extended your stay on one so be aware of that.

thanks everyone for the input. i have traveled a fair bit in my life but never stayed in a foreign country long enough to worry about how long i can stay. so, pretty naive in that regard and was kinda stunned to read what will happen if i'm 'caught'. gotta come up with a solution now before murphy's lands me in a Thai jail.

as to the 'troll' reply.... might want to check my register date. besides, trolls are not self-deprecating. me thinks you need to have your troll radar serviced, it's not working very well...

They are Not issuing free Tourist Visas. Check TV for details.

I just talked with lopburi3 and he said there was a public statement issued to extend the free tourist visas, but the official order hasn't come out yet. He sent me this link: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255304150019

That is true. No Thai embassy or consulate are issuing free tourist visas and to rube salt into the wound immigration is not honoring the 500 baht per day overstay on stranded tourist due to the volcano that the government said they would do. TIT :):D