Lack Of "thanks For The Info"

aussiechick

I was just thinking about the times there is help for someone with information requested. I want a follow up - I don't mean me personally, but it would be nice if that person replied with "Hey, thanks for the info I followed your advise XYZA and it was spot on" or "Hey, I followed your advise XYZA and it must have been a while 'cause it was c**p". And quick details either way. We all know how fast things change around here and it is nice to keep up to date with a variety of do and don'ts - for all sectors.

OK - I feel better now, I will go and have a drink :)

It's that time I suppose

But the drink sounds like a good idea

:)

I realize what the poster means:

- "Can a member please give me some advice / some pointers", is often totally missing in lieu of almost a demand, now, for answers.

- The expectation that there is a TV 'staff member' waiting to give (free) instantanious answers and is accountable to give free instantaneous answers, now, to every barked demand.

- And often a lack of: thanks / that was very helpful / I appreciate your guidance, etc.

In some cases, especially where there are multiple opinions offerd then I guess a thank you is not always needed, but sometimes it is very appropriate.

I sometimes wonder whether this is related to age, but maybe not.

Edited by scorecard

It's a double edged sword, I've come to realize that most posters come to forums such as these to, "have their say", and simply don't read anything that has been posted earlier in the thread, apart from the original post, perhaps! Similarly, posters have come to expect that by asking a question they will receive their answer and that's the end of it all - yes it's an age thing in part but mostly it's an issue of good manners and regrettably, the prime days of such things are largely in the past.

mostly it's an issue of good manners and regrettably, the prime days of such things are largely in the past.

It most definitely says a lot about a member but hopefully this common courtesy has not died out completely.

I'm sure many of us have posted frivolous nonsense but on simple request posts most OP reply in kind.

Just my experience.

I find most people will let everyone know of their experience of a restaurant recommendation but not something else. e.g. hotel for family, travel pointers, visa runs etc It would be nice to know if the advise was followed and the opinion of the OP - whether good or bad - all information helps the rest of us.

Its nearly the same as you there are complaints that you don't get a follow up in the newspaper regarding a jail sentence, accident, court case, we all want to know what happened in the end.

It's a double edged sword, I've come to realize that most posters come to forums such as these to, "have their say", and simply don't read anything that has been posted earlier in the thread, apart from the original post, perhaps! Similarly, posters have come to expect that by asking a question they will receive their answer and that's the end of it all - yes it's an age thing in part but mostly it's an issue of good manners and regrettably, the prime days of such things are largely in the past.

Totally agree with you

Well I think if you had to personally thank ever reply you got you'd end up with a very boring forum where every second post would be a thank you note.

vBulletin has a "click here to say thanks" option on the details of each poster, see for example http://androidforums.com. Gives both parts a nice fuzzy feeling of thanking/being thanked in an easy and unobtrusive way. Don't know if IP board has something like this, but given vB and IP keeps copying each others features I'm sure it will become available sometime in the future.

Phil - not thankyou per se more of a follow up - as I said:

"Hey, thanks for the info I followed your advise XYZA and it was spot on" or "Hey, I followed your advise XYZA and it must have been a while 'cause it was c**p". And quick details either way. We all know how fast things change around here and it is nice to keep up to date with a variety of do and don'ts - for all sectors."

Completely unecessary. This could turn TV into an endless online pingpong exchange of "thanks-your welcome" type messages rather than useful information....maybe a PM'd thanks could be used in some cases?

The best way to give thanks is for people to offer up "useful" info they may uncover........

PS did OP get more brickbats or bouquets for trying to promote that irish bar's menu on here.....I never bothered to read any of the responses!

Edited by Utterlyuseful