Triton, Dmax, Vigo Owners........

I'm in the market for a new pickup of the above models (4 door). Having never owned one, I'm kinda curious from real world owners, how many kms can you get from a full tank (diesel)? Please state if you have a 2.5 or 3.2 litre engine.

Plus any other tips/recommendations on the 3 models mentioned.

Cheers guys :)

Beanster

I regularly get 800k out of the triton 3.2.

Pretty much all highway driving, around 100 - 120 kmh without any load.

Great motor, drives the most "car" like and the only 4x4 I could find with manual (although did not look too hard). Resale value will not be the best but plan to keep if for a while so is not an issue.

Great motor, drives the most "car" like and the only 4x4 I could find with manual (although did not look too hard). Resale value will not be the best but plan to keep if for a while so is not an issue.

How big is the tank....? :)

I have the 3 litre Vigo Prerunner model. cnx-bkk uses 2000 bahts worth of fuel. so i guess its roughly 3baht per kilometre. I do step on it though and I reckon it would do it on 1500baht if i cruised at a lower speed say 120km/h or something like that. I reckon 800-900kms isnt unachieveable if you keep it steady.

Edited by sundaypsychos

What is the weight of the car is the most important question.

1700 kilo,

2500 cc maybe 1:10; 3000 cc 1:9;5 auto transmission,

3000 cc maybe 1:10,5; 3000 cc 1:10 manual transmission

Maybe a little better, but not much

60l, assume that is pretty standard.

Whats with the funny face? :D

Vigo is 76l, Navara is 80l :D

2010 Vigo 3,0 VN auto 4x4 4 door on big 17 wheels. 2700 kg at 140 kmh cruisingspeed fuel is 9km/l

12km/l is doable not loaded, giving almost 1000km range

a Vigo 2,5 VN manual runs much cheaper

Edited by katabeachbum

Vigo is 76l, Navara is 80l :D

2010 Vigo 3,0 VN auto 4x4 4 door on big 17 wheels. 2700 kg at 140 kmh cruisingspeed fuel is 9km/l

12km/l is doable not loaded, giving almost 1000km range

a Vigo 2,5 VN manual runs much cheaper

Oh no I've been done..... :D

Tight ass mitsu putting small fuel tanks in, what is the world coming to !!

I've got a year-old 2WD 4-door Vigo, 2.5L manual.

I don't know if it's the gearing (or my bad driving) but it pretty much runs away from anything from a standing start (e.g., traffic lights).

15 km/L. The fuel economy increased by 2km/L after I put a lid on the back.

And it handles amazingly well. Coming back from KK today, a scooter pulled out of a side road without looking. Just a flick of the wheel to the right and back to the left, easy as that. No tyre squeal, no loss of control. Scared the daylights out of my wife, though, as the scooter was headed right toward her door :)

So, a great buggy with good fuel economy, great acceleration and handling with stock tyres and suspension. And the best resale of those you mentioned.

The funny face denotes that for someone without details regarding size of the tank on the vehicle in question, it'd be pretty impossible to have any clue what the fuel consumption is. Now when we know the size of the tank it gets a little easier, presuming you drain the tank and fill it during the cycle of measurement. I have a Pajero Sport with the same 3.2 litre diesel, and I get pretty much 550-600km in Bangkok city traffic when filling up between 60-62 litre, even though the tank is 70 litre. I have never managed to drain the tank to fill more than 62 litre.

PS.

As I understand it, the fuel tank size on the Triton 3.2 Diesel is 75 litre, but I got that information from Mitsubishi, and they can of course be completely wrong. I have to trust you on this one, so I'm assuming your Triton is equipped with a custom tank.

DS.

I have the 3 litre Vigo Prerunner model. cnx-bkk uses 2000 bahts worth of fuel. so i guess its roughly 3baht per kilometre. I do step on it though and I reckon it would do it on 1500baht if i cruised at a lower speed say 120km/h or something like that. I reckon 800-900kms isnt unachieveable if you keep it steady.

just did rayong-cnx in the same truck. 1700 baht (or thereabouts), but we never drove faster than 120km/h.

I have kept most of the purchase and consumption records for my 2.5l manual Vigo since late 2007.

I live in the sticks, so most running has been open road, with some city. Also rarely exceed 120kph, even on longer trips to say Rayong.

Average consumption across all types of running, with both full load (rear tray full of family and baggage), and only 2 or 3 in the cabin, has been 13.46 k/l (or 38mpg for the Yanks :) ).

Also out of interest, across various prices for fuel, the average cost/km (for fuel) has been 2.16 baht.

rayong to cnx on 1700baht. bloody hel_l that is economical. i just came bkk today from sukhumvit and the 2000baht i put in has got me in on the fumes back to my house, with this thread fresh in my mind I was trying to keep it at 120km/h just to see if it would be more economical than normal. seems not. maybe its to do with there being slightly more hills running from south to north. I ran it at 100km'h for a while and was watching the consumption readout, was running at about 15km per litre, whereas at about 140km/h it crumples to about 8 kms per litre. quite a big difference!

My new Vigo 4x4 automatic gets around 36mpg on steady state hwy driving. I have found the trick in maximizing MPG... I drive until the overdrive kicks in at around 80kmph and then the rpms drop from 1600 to 1400, 15% drop in rpm and big fuel savings. Ambling along at 80 is a smooth ride and I easily get at least 1000km on a tank of diesel.

Up in the northeast where I live, the roads are so bad and narrow that driving any faster than 80 is asking for trouble.

Edited by rideswings

The funny face denotes that for someone without details regarding size of the tank on the vehicle in question, it'd be pretty impossible to have any clue what the fuel consumption is. Now when we know the size of the tank it gets a little easier, presuming you drain the tank and fill it during the cycle of measurement. I have a Pajero Sport with the same 3.2 litre diesel, and I get pretty much 550-600km in Bangkok city traffic when filling up between 60-62 litre, even though the tank is 70 litre. I have never managed to drain the tank to fill more than 62 litre.

PS.

As I understand it, the fuel tank size on the Triton 3.2 Diesel is 75 litre, but I got that information from Mitsubishi, and they can of course be completely wrong. I have to trust you on this one, so I'm assuming your Triton is equipped with a custom tank.

DS.

Sorry I thought the question was "how many kms do you get out of the tank?" not kms per ltr or how big is your tank?

Interesting news, It always takes around 60l and I am not a car buff so did not consider the fuel already in "the bottom" .... my mistake.

No I do not have a custom tank, but thanks for clearing things up, I will sleep better tonight.

Sorry I thought the question was "how many kms do you get out of the tank?" not kms per ltr or how big is your tank?
And yet you didn't answer any of the questions...?

To put things straight, the only question you managed to answer was: How many kilometers do you get? Which, when put in to context, is a pretty useless answer unless you include a rather vital piece of information: how much fuel did you use in order to cover named distance?

Considering the accuracy of what you have told us so far you may have the same fuel consumption as if you hovered slowly backwards above the clouds on an old rusty toaster. Similar to your Triton I have no clue as to the fuel efficiency of that one, but I'm confident you'll have a good night sleep, and that seems to be of primary importance...

And yet you didn't answer any of the questions...?

To put things straight, the only question you managed to answer was: How many kilometers do you get? Which, when put in to context, is a pretty useless answer unless you include a rather vital piece of information: how much fuel did you use in order to cover named distance?

Considering the accuracy of what you have told us so far you may have the same fuel consumption as if you hovered slowly backwards above the clouds on an old rusty toaster. Similar to your Triton I have no clue as to the fuel efficiency of that one, but I'm confident you'll have a good night sleep, and that seems to be of primary importance...

God I bet you are a barrel of laughs aren't you? I would love to have a pint with you one day !! i could just imagine the conversation now.....

Changnaam "So then Forethat, How long does it take you to drive to Pattaya?"

Forethat " Well changnaam that would depend my young friend, of one was to take the highway direct from Rama 9, paying 25 baht to enter the tollway, 30 baht after the airport and another 30 Baht in Chonburi if I left at the optimal time of 2pm and travelled a constant 100kmh for the whole distance, taking into account slowing down and speeding up for the tollways, it would take me 95 minutes, but then I have my 10 minute toilet and coffee break on the way if you factor in the run into the services and then the timne taken to get back to the constant 100kmh it would actually take 108 and a half minutes"

.... pause

Forethat " but then again if I was to leave from Sukhumvit at 9am and drive up to Rama IV and then use the other highway........"

You get the idea.

I'm kinda curious from real world owners, how many kms can you get from a full tank (diesel)?

For heavens sake the guy wanted some ideas and I gave a response to try and assist. Do you really not have anything better to do?

For your benefit I will try and answer the question again. I fill up my tank when the orange light comes on, I put in around 60l or fuel and then I get around 800km before the light comes on again where I repeat the process. SO I would suggest that I am getting "around" 13.3 km per litre or 100km uses around 7.5 litres of fuel from my 3.2 Mitsubishi engine.

Now I apologise to have caused you so much upset with my laksidasical answer and I got a great night sleep thank you. I hope you find someone else to find fault with today and I hope that the OP has had his question answered.

Have a good day.

And BTW he also asked for answers from guys in the real world, not some nerd who has nothing better to do than find fault with other peoples efforts when he is not calculating to the ml how much fuel he is using.

I know the pound is weak but come on, get a life.

How do I know you are from the UK? I will let you figure that one out. Gives you something else to get knickers in a knot about today.

:)

Over and out

For heavens sake the guy wanted some ideas and I gave a response to try and assist.

Well, that didn't work out to well, did it...?

For your benefit I will try and answer the question again. I fill up my tank when the orange light comes on, I put in around 60l or fuel and then I get around 800km before the light comes on again where I repeat the process. SO I would suggest that I am getting "around" 13.3 km per litre or 100km uses around 7.5 litres of fuel from my 3.2 Mitsubishi engine.
Did it ever occur to you that there's a massive difference in mileage if the tank is 60 or 75 liter and the assumption is that you fill up every time...? No..? I Now that we are aware of your abilities, we can disregard any future attempts to provide any kind of useful information...

In case you didn’t notice, you never actually told us how many liters of fuel you used.

And because I pointed out that your information might be more useful should you include the volume of the fuel used, this is now all my fault and I am the one putting up an attitude? :)

For your information, I’m not from the UK (needless to say, you’re wrong again, but since that being your trademark; no damage done!).

This does not aswer the exact question asked but I hope is useful information.

I have religiously kept records of fuel used, kms travelled and cost incurred for the diesel I have put in my 3.0 litre 4WD manual Vigo since I owned it. Yes I know it's sad but I was bored.

These records cover the period 01 August 2006 - 08 March 2010.

Over that period the vehicle travelled 65442 kms and consumed 5269 litres of diesel at a total cost of Bt 142015.

With deft use of my calculator I calculate that my average fuel consumption has been 12.42 kms/litre, 8.05 litres/100 kms or 35.25 mpg.

All this at an average cost of Bt 2.17/km.

Hope this helps in your selection of vehicle.

My preference has always been for the Toyota having owned a Toyota Hilux Surf for some years before I returned to Thailand.

As an adjunct to the above I typically get arond 830 kms from a full tank, but this has not drained the tank empty as I don't want to have to prime the fuel system every time.

Over the period I have addressed the driving styles have varied between poodling around follwing samlors at 20-30 kph to some serious long haul driving Isan to Hua Hin etc. at speeds generally in excess of 150 kph.