The Longer The Red-Shirts Rally, The Higher The Damage

webfact

Chaimai, can you please tell me about the 'debt' and its relation to the sex industry. Really, I'd like to know. Consider me not Thai and therefore clueless, I always do.

Dear Neurath,

I had half an hour off to have a bite to eat and I can see that many people, better qualified than I, are already answering your question. :D

Suffice to say that my limited knowledge suggests that Thai offspring are born with the burden of supporting their parents - a role that is usually reversed in the West.

Couple that with the fact that it is easier to 'earn' money in the sex industry (even from just tips) than picking coconuts or cutting rice and you will understand the gravitation towards Pattaya/Bangkok. (Not exclusively, of course, because Thai ladies have been servicing the needs of Thai men for centuries - not sure what the venues were called before the advent of 'karaoke' ?

Also, you will have noticed that growing one crop of rice a year is not a full time job.

Dear Chaimai,

First, I hope that you dinner was to your satisfaction and, second, thank you for your calm and clear consideration of my query.

I was baffled as to how the present government was responsible for mothers forcing their children into prostitution and equally baffled as to how the current non-negotiable demands of the Red Shirt leadership would solve it. The scales have now fallen from my eyes and my revolutionary juices are flowing!

Poverty (Abhisit's fault) + cultural practice of bunkhun (Abhisit's fault) + easier money in sex industry (Abhisit's fault) = mother's forcing their daughters into prostitution (Abhisit's fault) = necessity of non-negotiable demand for yup sapha NOW!

I shall be stepping out happily now to sharpen my bamboo pole and enter the fray! I'm feeling quite like Mel Gibson in Braveheart!

Best regards,

Neurath.

Chok Dee Neurath,

Dinner was pad graprow mu - made by the impoverished wife's impoverished sister, Arroy mak mak.

Maybe I need to try some of what you have been imbibing because the scales have clearly not fallen away from eyes. My simplistic vision fails to blame Abhisit for everything. I also fail to see how the government (Abhisit for now) is responsible for prostitution (which, of course, does not exist in Thailand).

I suspect that we are almost on the same side (unless, of course, you are a genuine Braveheart Jock! :D )

Please be careful with that bamboo pole - remember, Nattawut has said that they are only for making fences :D

Sorry for suggesting that were clueless, you clearly are not. :)

Regards

Chaimai

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boys, Girls and Yellows,

I've just heard from a well trusted source at the Met Office that the People's Revolution has started.

The new high pressure system will be tracking down from the northeast to replace the existing dominant low pressure repression.

The old money stratus, their government cumulus and their low level yellow tinted nimbostratus are advised to sit down in a ring, take a rest, sing songs, and pray for rain. They might be needed later on to work in the fields, dig tunnels, and forecast clandestine turbulence trying to push its way back in.

Watch out for magnificent sunsets throughout the coming months. As the saying goes, "Red Sky At Night, Farmers' Delight". :-)

BL

Boys, Girls and Yellows,

I've just heard from a well trusted source at the Met Office that the People's Revolution has started.

The new high pressure system will be tracking down from the northeast to replace the existing dominant low pressure repression.

The old money stratus, their government cumulus and their low level yellow tinted nimbostratus are advised to sit down in a ring, take a rest, sing songs, and pray for rain. They might be needed later on to work in the fields, dig tunnels, and forecast clandestine turbulence trying to push its way back in.

Watch out for magnificent sunsets throughout the coming months. As the saying goes, "Red Sky At Night, Farmers' Delight". :-)

BL

Chaimai, can you please tell me about the 'debt' and its relation to the sex industry. Really, I'd like to know. Consider me not Thai and therefore clueless, I always do.

Dear Neurath,

I had half an hour off to have a bite to eat and I can see that many people, better qualified than I, are already answering your question. :D

Suffice to say that my limited knowledge suggests that Thai offspring are born with the burden of supporting their parents - a role that is usually reversed in the West.

Couple that with the fact that it is easier to 'earn' money in the sex industry (even from just tips) than picking coconuts or cutting rice and you will understand the gravitation towards Pattaya/Bangkok. (Not exclusively, of course, because Thai ladies have been servicing the needs of Thai men for centuries - not sure what the venues were called before the advent of 'karaoke' ?

Also, you will have noticed that growing one crop of rice a year is not a full time job.

Dear Chaimai,

First, I hope that you dinner was to your satisfaction and, second, thank you for your calm and clear consideration of my query.

I was baffled as to how the present government was responsible for mothers forcing their children into prostitution and equally baffled as to how the current non-negotiable demands of the Red Shirt leadership would solve it. The scales have now fallen from my eyes and my revolutionary juices are flowing!

Poverty (Abhisit's fault) + cultural practice of bunkhun (Abhisit's fault) + easier money in sex industry (Abhisit's fault) = mother's forcing their daughters into prostitution (Abhisit's fault) = necessity of non-negotiable demand for yup sapha NOW!

I shall be stepping out happily now to sharpen my bamboo pole and enter the fray! I'm feeling quite like Mel Gibson in Braveheart!

Best regards,

Neurath.

Chok Dee Neurath,

Dinner was pad graprow mu - made by the impoverished wife's impoverished sister, Arroy mak mak.

Maybe I need to try some of what you have been imbibing because the scales have clearly not fallen away from eyes. My simplistic vision fails to blame Abhisit for everything. I also fail to see how the government (Abhisit for now) is responsible for prostitution (which, of course, does not exist in Thailand).

I suspect that we are almost on the same side (unless, of course, you are a genuine Braveheart Jock! :D )

Please be careful with that bamboo pole - remember, Nattawut has said that they are only for making fences :D

Sorry for suggesting that were clueless, you clearly are not. :)

Regards

Chaimai

Dear Chaimai,

I'm saddened to have to tell you that you have quite misunderstood me. When I said that I was feeling quite like Mel Gibson in Braveheart I thought I had made myself perfectly clear. I meant precisely what I said: The Red Testosterone flowing through my white skin-clad veins and a romantic revolutionary narrative in my head has made me rather horny for the man. I believe I shall invite Levelhead along to watch.

Best regards,

Neurath.

Okay... now 6:20pm.... the traffic at Nana and Sukhumvit is at a standstill! I mean NOTHING is moving... what is happening? Something has blocked off the traffic...

Either everything is normal (haha) or something is happening with the red shirts blockade?

Anyone???

That is normal isn't it?

Normally traffic is awful here between 5:30 and 7:00pm. But since the red shirts have seized Rajaprasong, traffic has been virtually non-existent till this evening. Then, suddenly, it was backed up again, like the worst "normal" day.....

Something is up....

Thaksin just arrived by helicopter and is descending from the top of the Baiyoke Building on a heavenly red cloud......dressed in a white safari suit, smiling lovingly and beckoning with both arms to the enraptured crowd.....lean forward and listen a moment.......and you will hear.......

:)

Dear Chaimai,

I'm saddened to have to tell you that you have quite misunderstood me. When I said that I was feeling quite like Mel Gibson in Braveheart I thought I had made myself perfectly clear. I meant precisely what I said: The Red Testosterone flowing through my white skin-clad veins and a romantic revolutionary narrative in my head has made me rather horny for the man. I believe I shall invite Levelhead along to watch.

Best regards,

Neurath.

I am saddened to conclude that it sounds like a marriage made in hel_l !

.. and you with a name that anagrams as "haunter". :)

Chok Dee anyway..

Dear Chaimai,

Best regards,

Neurath.

I am saddened to conclude that it sounds like a marriage made in hel_l !

.. and you with a name that anagrams as "haunter". :)

Chok Dee anyway..

Well, perhaps, but having LevelHead around makes me feel saner in the same way that having Joseph Merrick around would make me feel good looking. It's pleasure by comparison you see.

Well, perhaps, but having LevelHead around makes me feel saner in the same way that having Joseph Merrick around would make me feel good looking. It's pleasure by comparison you see.

:):D:D Levelhead makes Marilyn Manson, Jack the Ripper and Hannibal Lecter look sane.

I would still take grandpops as an impartial observer.

And thank you tomazbodner for continuing to add to the hysteria keeping travelers away.

It is TRULY disgusting and you know dam_n well the reds are NOT trying to

"kill thousands of people" OR

"burn down the city".

Do I really need to attach you the Arisaman's video, telling protesters to bring empty water bottles to fill up with gasoline in Bangkok and burn down the city?

And he is redshirt, isn't he? The fatso escaping from SC Park hotel? The leader of the redshirts that broke into parliament? The redshirt nutcase on the stage in Rajprasong every evening (except yesterday, when he mysteriously disappeared the moment the army chopper started making circles around the area)?

So YOU know dam_n well that the reds ARE trying to "burn down the city", but of course that doesn't suit your image of peaceful, peace loving, nice rural people with no intention whatsoever to cause any disturbance to anyone else.

And PS: many of the reds in the area do carry water bottles filled with some yellowish liquid which I doubt is their pee...

Your premise is something awful Arisaman said. I don't deny what he said.

Your conclusion based on this premise is NOT correct. In the days upon days of these speeches, which I sure are recorded and documented, one of the many leaders says something admittedly bad, and you JUMP to the CONCLUSION that the followers AGREE with him and are going to try to "burn down the city" and "kill thousands of people". Every large scale political organization has its fringe elements. I seriously doubt that the reds have significant numbers of followers who agree with arisaman on that point and intend to follow it.

tsss... even if you don't speak thai. there is plenty of tweet-translation-coverage of hatred that had been spewn on red shirt stage. it's _not_ "fringe" elements. there's _no_ policy debate. it's more like a hate-crusade. * uiiiih, actually, that's what it is, isn't it?

:):D:D Levelhead makes Marilyn Manson, Jack the Ripper and Hannibal Lecter look sane.

I really couldn't do that. I believe that Grandpops is on large amounts of some sort of non-prescribed psychotropic medication and I simply don't approve. I believe he might in fact be one of the last remaining members of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love (see Amazon: Orange Sunshine).

I well recall seeing that advertisements in the US about drug use ....eggs and bacon drop into smoking hot frying pan "this is your brain on drugs" it intoned. Terrifying it was, quite terrifying, and now I cannot read anything Grandpops writes without thinking of bacon, eggs and a huge piece of psilocybin on toast. No, I couldn't take Grandpops. Just can't do it... sorry.

I really couldn't do that. I believe that Grandpops is on large amounts of some sort of non-prescribed psychotropic medication and I simply don't approve. I believe he might in fact be one of the last remaining members of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love (see Amazon: Orange Sunshine).

I well recall seeing that advertisements in the US about drug use ....eggs and bacon drop into smoking hot frying pan "this is your brain on drugs" it intoned. Terrifying it was, quite terrifying, and now I cannot read anything Grandpops writes without thinking of bacon, eggs and a huge piece of psilocybin on toast. No, I couldn't take Grandpops. Just can't do it... sorry.

Oh, I dunno. I'm kinda fond of grandpops senile rantings. Reminds me of my dad shortly before he passed on...I went in to the hospital and he called said "Captain Murphy! Where have you been all these years!'

:D:D

Thanks Neurath,

That over-visual image will probably keep me away from breakfast in the morning.

Even scrambled eggs are now going to visually resemble something between levelhead's ears.

Edited by Chaimai

Oh, I dunno. I'm kinda fond of grandpops senile rantings. Reminds me of my dad shortly before he passed on...I went in to the hospital and he called said "Captain Murphy! Where have you been all these years!'

:D:D

That's a keeper! Excellent :D

Your maths disgust me (amongst other things).

Your example is a thai on $200/m buying a house worth $16,000 or a little more.

How is that different from an Oz worker on $2,000/m buying a $160,000 house - about the going rate for both when I left 10 years ago. Should the workers rise up and slaughter the Packers and Murdochs?

When you earn little money, the amount you can save decreases exponentially - or becomes non-existent. It's not a case of "I earn 2000 UNITS/month, so I can save 200 UNITS/month" or "I earn 200 UNITS/month so I can save 20 UNITS/month". If you're earning 2,000 UNITS/month, you're more likely to save more than 200 UNITS/month. If you're earning 200 UNITS/month, you're more likely to save less than 20 UNITS/month – regardless of where you live and regardless of the relative cost of living. Why? - Because 180 UNITS is not enough to live on but 1800 UNITS is. Basically, it's a poverty cycle which stops these folk from rising in society and keeps them in their place. And the system allows this cycle to continue.

bangkoklight: in case no-one ever told you: just to be able to access internet, hit a keyboard, type some words... all that's fine, be grateful for opportunity to develop your skills - but there's no necessity it makes sense, ok?

to make it easy: i live of 6,000bht/month. yes, i do. how comes? i calculate the costs vs the amount of effort/energy/mind i've to invest.

so i'm poor. i've no problem with that.

you got your maths wrong. completely wrong. i hope you'll never run a business - for the sake of your employees.

btw: if you've time, would you, please, be so kind to elaborate on your "fiction" of "social mobility"? what does it mean? &, as we're into it - won't you agree that Khun Thaksin is a great example for exploiting the current "systems of governance". a bit ironic, isn't it, when you speak of, "Basically, it's a poverty cycle which stops these folk from rising in society and keeps them in their place. And the system allows this cycle to continue."

Dear Neurath,

I had half an hour off to have a bite to eat and I can see that many people, better qualified than I, are already answering your question. :)

Dear Chaimai,

Best regards,

Neurath.

I hope you don't meet the same fate!

bangkoklight: in case no-one ever told you: just to be able to access internet, hit a keyboard, type some words... all that's fine, be grateful for opportunity to develop your skills - but there's no necessity it makes sense, ok?

to make it easy: i live of 6,000bht/month. yes, i do. how comes? i calculate the costs vs the amount of effort/energy/mind i've to invest.

so i'm poor. i've no problem with that.

you got your maths wrong. completely wrong. i hope you'll never run a business - for the sake of your employees.

btw: if you've time, would you, please, be so kind to elaborate on your "fiction" of "social mobility"? what does it mean? &, as we're into it - won't you agree that Khun Thaksin is a great example for exploiting the current "systems of governance". a bit ironic, isn't it, when you speak of, "Basically, it's a poverty cycle which stops these folk from rising in society and keeps them in their place. And the system allows this cycle to continue."

Why do you Yellows always bring the same story into this? - Mr. T's wealth. This only shows your lack of intelligence and understanding of what's going on, and doesn't give you any credibility in your argument at all. It's pathetic and quite retarded in your approach, really.

Also, you Yellows never get the main point of any argument put forward to you. Instead you go off at a tangent and bring up the least significant details. This again shows lack of any thought. It's tiresome. So, if you reply to me again, talk about something else other than Mr. T and his wealth. If you can't, I shall assume you haven't got a leg to stand on.

1) I don't see how my maths is wrong. 2000 - 200 = 1800 and 200 - 20 = 180. I'll make it simpler for you later on by not using that confusing 2 and 18, but I might use 9 and 5. These are just randomly chosen figures to explain a point. The actual figures used are irrelevant but their relative values are - like a percentage.

So, I merely want to state that when you earn little money, your ability to save and accumulate wealth is drastically reduced. You (can) end up in a cycle of poverty, never being able to own a home, always in debt, not having much of a life at all. My aim here isn't to come up with a grand theory of investment economics. This is 1 + 2 = 3 stuff. But don't tell me! 3 is worth more in Thailand because the cost of living is cheaper? LOL! As I said before, the figures are relative values in the same domain.

Let me explain again, if you earn 100 and the cost of living for a half decent life in country X is 10, you can save 90. Here's the 9 I was telling you about. If you earn just 10, and live a half decent life (also in country X), you can save only 5 (10 - (10/2) = 5). Here's the 5. If you can see no bright future ahead of you and want to live a decent life now, you will not be able to save at all. In this example, I have used 100 and 10 as the wages of a rich man and a not so rich man in the same country, country X. (If food is cheap in country X, then it's cheap for both men). This difference in wages is quite common in Thailand and is the root cause of the problems we see on the streets today.

2) And I have to ask again, why you are bringing Mr. T's wealth into this. You Yellows are obsessed with this man, more so than the Reds. Do you think he's the only wealthy person ever to have existed in Thailand? Have you been so brainwashed that you really think this? There are thousands more Thai multi-millionaires in Thailand that make up the elite, each of them using the system to gain and exploit the poor. Even if they each had 10% of Mr. T's wealth, their combined wealth would be far greater than Mr. T's. This wealth is the real power - the power to keep people in their place, which has been the case for decades. This wealth isn't in the scandal column of The Nation. This is the old money.

And it's this old money and power that ousted Mr. T from government in 2006. This old money persuaded the army to stage a coup. The old money elite were scared that Mr. T was gaining popular vote in the north and northeast. This is what can happen in a democracy. Power can change hands. People vote for whoever they think can benefit them and their communities the most. Mr. T did what no other prime minister had done or could be bothered to do before. So the old money elite were scared that they would lose their power.

So these old money elite gathered a Yellow mob to put pressure on the army to get rid of Mr. T, saying that he had abused his power as prime minister. They were right. Mr. T had abused his power. But what Mr. T did was no different to what the elite have been doing for years and what they are still doing now. The difference is that the servants of the elite (the Yellows) only mention the wealth of Mr. T (not surprising as they can't mention the names of themselves or their masters).

So why aren't you criticizing these old money elite as well? Your illusion of one evil man destroying the country is incorrect. It's akin to a children's story where a nasty dragon eats the villagers. (There is no dragon). You've been fooled big time but you're too caught up in your yellow ribbon to notice.

3) And lastly, do you earn 6,000/month or do you live off 6,000/month? There's a difference. Earning 6,000 baht/month and living off that amount is not the same as earning 12,000, 18,000, 30,000, 60,000/month, or 600,000/month (yes, this is possible, not only for Mr. T) and spending just 6,000 baht/month. We're not talking 6,000 baht/month pocket money here for a morning sandwich, a copy of The Nation, lunchtime noodles, and a movie and a coke in the evening. We're talking rent, healthcare, children, loan repayments, mum and dad to support. If your gross earnings really are 6,000 baht/month and you can live off this amount without saving (and without having savings, an already paid for house or condo, investment in a family business, or mummy's and daddy's land to fall back on - this is the bright future I mentioned before), then good for you. I hope you're happy. And I've got no problem with you being poor (as you claim), so what was all that about??? Again, a completely irrelevant statement.

Edited by bangkoklight

Why do you Yellows always bring the same story into this? - Mr. T's wealth. This only shows your lack of intelligence and understanding of what's going on, and doesn't give you any credibility in your argument at all. It's pathetic and quite retarded in your approach, really.

Also, you Yellows never get the main point of any argument put forward to you. Instead you go off at a tangent and bring up the least significant details. This again shows lack of any thought. It's tiresome. So, if you reply to me again, talk about something else other than Mr. T and his wealth. If you can't, I shall assume you haven't got a leg to stand on.

<snip>

Why do you red Thaksin lovers always assume that someone that opposes the reds are automatically yellows?

Why do you red Thaksin lovers always assume that someone that opposes the reds are automatically yellows?

When have I ever said that I'm a Thaksin lover? I said that Thaksin is corrupt too but he's the only one who gave these people any hope.

And why is your question relevant here anyway? Please explain. Again, picking holes in a fine argument with no real agenda.

When have I ever said that I'm a Thaksin lover? I said that Thaksin is corrupt too but he's the only one who gave these people any hope.

And why is your question relevant here anyway? Please explain. Again, picking holes in a fine argument with no real agenda.

Why do you YELLOW/BLUE/PINK/WHITE/MULTI-COLORS always assume that someone that like the RED are automatically Thaksin lover?

I have lots of RED friends that hate Thaksin & love Mark.

However they hate coup, undemocratic government and most importantly, the tearing up of the "People's constitution" and replaced with an "army constitution".

No parents are forced to send their daughters to work in the sex industry. As a mother I would rather starve to death than do that. I prefer not to have a TV, mobile phone, motorbike, lao kao for my husband, some money for his mia noi, than to sacrifice my daughter. In Thailand everybody poor can get food from neighbours or temple, it is warm, people can sleep open air (which is not possible in many other countries ), most of these people live on their own piece of land in a wooden hut, but it belongs to them, although it looks poor (many poor people in other countires do not have that) Think about the difference of being poor in a warm or a cold country and what "poor" really means. In Europe high qualified people have to work now for low salary due to the economic crisis. How do they feel, do they start to sell their daughters?????

You are not a greedy Thai bitch then, that revels in your daughter sending you 3,000 baht a month, or buying you the occasional Baht of gold ?

I suspect you are not Thai and therefore are clueless about the 'debt'.

Living in Thailand, I know a lot of hookers, not like I know my friends, thai and farang, who I know for long time and work with, but the so called "hookers" are a part of social life here and I do not judge them, I do not question the background of everybody I meet, I do not even think about categorizing any person I talk to. "Hookers" (as far as I realized or think they are) are very nice with me, compared to many farang men. Hookers buy me drinks just after talking for a while on a night out, farang men do not (I guess because they only spend money when they get it back in one or another way and I am not their target)

What do you mean with "empirically poor"? Most of the so called "hookers" spend a lot of money on their lifestyle, going out, drinking, shopping ect. and of course, a part of their income will be sent home.

What is this compared to thais in the same situation, also "empirically poor" working on a thai salary (cleaning woman in a hotel THB 6000 per month, 10 hours per day, 6 days a week) They are not "hookers" ?

Sorry, "empirically poor" refers to your earlier post

Edited by silk

<snip>

anotherpeter, say the army does clear out the redshirts. For the sake of clinging desperately onto power instead of holding an election, other redshirts throughout the country are not going to stop. Abhisit will turn this battle into an IRA style terror campaign with bombs exploding intermittently on a continual basis throughout the city like in the South. How will that help the situation when all that is needed is to give people the chance to vote? It is a no brainer :)