Retirement/long Stay Visas Questions

Good morning!

After reading a wealth of information, some very helpful, some perhaps dated, some confusing, I have a few questions if someone with knowledge and experience could offer up-to-date information.

1) What is the difference/advantages between a Retirement Visa and a Long Stay Type O visa? Or are those different names for the same thing? It "looks" like the only difference is that a retirement visa means I do NOT have to make border runs every 3 months but the Long Stay Type O DOES require 3 month border runs. Is that true? What other differences in application or result are there?

2) Can I apply and get a retirement or long stay visa while living in Thailand on a tourist visa? Or do I have to go back to my home country (USA) to do everything? Or can I gather all the paper requirements and go to Vientienne or Singapore for 2 days to apply?

3) If I can apply in SE Asia, where is the best place to get a retirement or Long Stay Type O visa? KL? Singapore? Laos?

3) Does the 800,000 in either case have to be in a "Thai bank" or just a "bank in Thailand?" For example, can I have the money in an HSBC account at an HSBC here in Bangkok?

Thank you for any help and guidance!

1. There is no such visa as long stay O. The visa is OA and issued for retirement by a home/residence country Thai Consulate and allows a one year stay on entry. You seem to be talking about a normal multi entry non immigrant O visa which provides 90 day stays. There is also not such thing a retirement visa - it is a one year extension of stay for retirement issued by Immigration inside Thailand. Both require 90 day address reporting if remaining inside Thailand longer than 90 days.

2. All three methods could be used - for tourist visa you must convert to non immigrant with more than 21 days remaining on entry at cost of 2,000 baht and proof of meeting retirementt conditions. In home country you could obtain single entry non immigrant O visa or OA. In adjacent country you could obtain O visa and then extend for retirement.

3. Any consulate should issue a single entry non immigrant O visa if over age 50 and you tell them you plan to extend for retirement.

4. Money in Thai located bank for two months for first application. You can also use income as confirmed in an Embassy letter.

If you are 50 years of age or older and can deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or proof income of 65,000 baht monthly income - you should go for the Non-OA visa (aka Retirement Visa). Apply for a single entry Non-O Visa in the US and convert it into a Non-OA visa when you get here. With this visa you don't ever really have to leave the country (if you don't want to) and just renew your permission to stay each year - providing you have the 800,000 baht in the bank (for 3 months) or 65,000 baht monthly income.

Unfortunately I'm not there yet (under 50 still) - but I will apply for this visa when I reach 50 years of age myself. It's hassle free :-).

I'm sure other will add to this info :-). Good luck.

The above information is not correct about visas - the OA visa is only issued outside Thailand and requires a medical and police report to obtain. What you obtain inside Thailand is a one year extension of stay. It is not a visa and does not allow any travel. If you plan travel you must obtain a re-entry permit to keep the extension of stay alive.

Any consulate should issue a single entry non immigrant O visa if over age 50 and you tell them you plan to extend for retirement.

Not true in the US, unless I've missed something lately.........

The MFA consulates (NY, LA, Chicago, DC) will not, offering only to issue a Non Imm OA if retirement eligible (LA will only issue the least helpful single-entry variety).

When the honorary consulates were told not to issue OA visas a few months back, I asked Houston whether that meant that they would now issue Non Imm O visas to those who met retirement criteria. Nope, they replied. (I asked the same question to Portland, but received no reply.)

It's possible some honorary consulates might issue such a visa, if their interpretation of guidance allows some wiggle room. It would at least be worth a check around if going the OA route looks too onerous.

Otherwise, the tourist visa route, and in-country TM86 conversion, would appear to be the next best option.

The OP said: "After reading a wealth of information, some very helpful, some perhaps dated, some confusing..."

I'm a fairly faithful reader of this part of the forum, and I often see people saying that someone should have done a search.

The OP here points out something that is problematic in this particular forum -- literally a thousand or more posts on a topic (for example, just search "retirement visa"), MANY of which have wrong information, many of which are outdated.

That's why folks in this forum rarely rely on the search feature and ask and re-ask the same question so many times.

A better organized "must read first" article in the 'pinned section' would go a long way in alleviating carpal tunnel syndrome for many of the regulars here. But, I don't know who's in charge when it comes to this.....

I'm a fairly faithful reader of this part of the forum, and I often see people saying that someone should have done a search.

With a better "must read first" explanation of the jargon and many of the known nuances of visas and extensions, a better chastisement for newbies than 'you should have done a search' would be: what was it in the "must read" that you didn't understand? And, actually, where it is confusing, the "must read" could evolve if certain explanations continue to trip-up newbies.

This forum certainly wouldn't dry up. There are just too many quirks amongst all the offices and agencies that deal with visas and extensions. And thus individual experiences to tabulate -- and pass on as 'what to expect' or 'possibly to expect.'

But a comprehensive baseline for newbies to read before they all ask the same questions would seem to be in order.....

The OP said: "After reading a wealth of information, some very helpful, some perhaps dated, some confusing..."

The OP here points out something that is problematic in this particular forum -- literally a thousand or more posts on a topic (for example, just search "retirement visa"), MANY of which have wrong information, many of which are outdated.

That's why folks in this forum rarely rely on the search feature and ask and re-ask the same question so many times.

Can TV post under a heading the most recent and up to date information about the most popular visa extensions so as to save themselves the considerable time and appreciated effort they go to to answer a host of involved questions from us all..then all the OP would need do is post the question and he/she could be quickly referred to the correct answer/interpretation..would also save others chipping in with their versions which on occasions is not quite correct..just a thought.

I agree 100%. A "must read" pinned section explaining most if not all the nuances and correct terms about Thai visas would aid greatly for the newbie but also for the person that just does not spend time keeping fresh on the changes that occur from year to year. Any one of us that has used the so called search function to find information quickly is discouraged and resorts to making a post and then apologizing for asking.

This website is named "Thai Visa" for a reason and every effort should be made to enhance the use of it especially the "Visa" topics.

It took 3 or 4 posts to answer the OPs question and get some more confusion into the mix. A must read topic could have gone a long way in answering is questions. But maybe this site is set up to generate more questions? Hence no pinned "must read" and a not so good search function?

Any consulate should issue a single entry non immigrant O visa if over age 50 and you tell them you plan to extend for retirement.

Not true in the US, unless I've missed something lately.........

The MFA consulates (NY, LA, Chicago, DC) will not, offering only to issue a Non Imm OA if retirement eligible (LA will only issue the least helpful single-entry variety).

((cut))

The poster is in Thailand and asked for a local solution and locally they will issue such a visa. Believe USA is the only location that requires use of the OA. He can exit/return with a non immigrant and avoid the conversion process.

Agree should have said "most" rather than "any" for others.

A better organized "must read first" article in the 'pinned section' would go a long way in alleviating carpal tunnel syndrome for many of the regulars here. But, I don't know who's in charge when it comes to this.....

With a better "must read first" explanation of the jargon and many of the known nuances of visas and extensions, a better chastisement for newbies than 'you should have done a search' would be: what was it in the "must read" that you didn't understand? And, actually, where it is confusing, the "must read" could evolve if certain explanations continue to trip-up newbies.

This forum certainly wouldn't dry up. There are just too many quirks amongst all the offices and agencies that deal with visas and extensions. And thus individual experiences to tabulate -- and pass on as 'what to expect' or 'possibly to expect.'

But a comprehensive baseline for newbies to read before they all ask the same questions would seem to be in order.....

I think the pinned topic, "Useful Immigration Information & Visa Descriptions" does a great job of covering most of the items we see posted everyday. But, either some people don't see it, or just can't be bothered to look through it.

The above information is not correct about visas - the OA visa is only issued outside Thailand and requires a medical and police report to obtain. What you obtain inside Thailand is a one year extension of stay. It is not a visa and does not allow any travel. If you plan travel you must obtain a re-entry permit to keep the extension of stay alive.

please update your database Lopburi :)

Good morning!

I would like to thank everyone for their time and efforts; both in answering my very specific questions and in addressing the larger issue of what "updated and verified information" should be available where.

I spent 7.5 hours reading ALL the pinned and salient visa posts on this website and doing extensive searches throughout the web. (Old habits die hard, I still track my all my hours carefully.)

For those of you mathematically inclined: the sum of all samples in a Normal Gaussian Distribution equals zero. In other words, one poster says, "It is 3". Another poster says "No No No -3." Reiterate and sum the various samples several hundred times and all the information cancels out to a mean of 0.

Hence, my posted question was simply the final task in my planning process. I feel I have now gathered sufficient information to make the following "educated" decision: There is sufficient complexity, variance and risk in this process to justify the value added in hiring a professional.

Though I am an avid fan of Thai Visa and a number of other professional forums, until such time as this forum captures the free services of "Thai Visa professionals" and not just the fragmented experience and hearsay of "visa process participants," --pinned or not, searched or not-- the cumulative visa information contained in this forum will remain conflicting, incomplete and dated; ie., a mean informational content at or near zero.

There is no fault in this failure to successfully aggregate timely information. It is simply the result of this forum's usage of outmoded social-knowledge technology combined with the high informational variance of this topic: Thai Visas. There are other signficant advantages to this website that will keep me as a member and inspire me to recommend it to others.

It is my sincere hope that this post provides some small benefit in return to all of you who have been so kind as to share your time, experience and knowledge under the noble banner of generosity.

My gratitude and best wishes to all!

Possibly to prevent confusion with an "O" visa which is not a long stay. If a person or immigration official does not look carefully at the visa type and only sees the "O" they could make a mistake and stamp the entry for 90 days instead of 1 year.

My guess only!

That is a O-A Visa not an O Visa.

OK, then I will re-phrase my question

Why does the NY Consulate write in "Long Stay" on the VISA ?

Because that is exactly what it is - long stay non immigrant O-A visa. A non immigrant O visa only allows a 90 day stay. The OA provides a one year stay on entry.

Kuhn TA -- From the ThaiVisa.com 'About Us' page:

Many articles on this website (are) written by independent people, and does not necessary reflect our opinion. The information is provided "as is" and we are not responsible for any errors. View our privacy policy.

The info on this website is just to give you an idea of the scope of what an expat has to do to work and live in Thailand.
DON'T RELY ON THIS ALONE!
Most people have unique experiences. Make sure you double-check what you need, because rules can change abruptly.

Caveat Emptor

information contained in this forum will remain conflicting, incomplete and dated;

........... since it's an empirical gathering of information from various Immigration and MFA organizations and offices, where conflicting and incomplete seems the perfect descriptor.

information contained in this forum will remain conflicting, incomplete and dated;

........... since it's an empirical gathering of information from various Immigration and MFA organizations and offices, where conflicting and incomplete seems the perfect descriptor.

..exactly..we are subjected to various interpretations of all rules and regulations in Thailand whereas in most Western countries we understand and abide by one known interpretation of that one law or rule..we all know the laws in our respective country better than any Thai would know theirs! One can only ponder why this occurs here..to me it appears so broad allowing for some applicants to circumvent the system..hence the total confusion we all experience at some time or another..not all of us are so well informed and the more experienced 'acid tongued' members can't wait to pounce on an OP's slip of the tongue, incorrect punctuation or incorrect grammar..come on fellas we're all here to help one another are we not through this veritable mine field of visa information etc.

Edited by rodcourt49