Thailand's 'Yellow Shirts' Call For Martial Law

webfact

I guess the yellows will send their "granny's with clappers" out to protest. From what I remember the yellows only had a few hundred thugs holding the perimeters of the gov. house and the airports. I don't see them having near the numbers to make any impact against the reds.

Edited by marinediscoking

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A red government would be much more THUGocracy, than democracy. Clearly many in the red regions are going along due to fear and intimidation of their red masters.

I really cant believe you write stuff like this Jingthing knowing the background of the leader you adore in your own country. :)

Believe it. Yes, of course I support President Obama. I see no connection.

Neither do I. Obama is nothing like Thaksin and would never bring the US to the state that Thaksin's redshirts have... Just someone graping at straws and you are very right to characterize a likely red government as a THUGocracy....

Also from the sight (MBK) witnesses saw movement on the top of the buildings. It's not hard to guess that they come from military.

If so, lets hope progress can be made to break up this seemingly endless, illegal occupation with the very least of casualties on all sides.

I hope so... It could have been avoided if the reds had accepted Abhisit's generous offer of holding elections in 9 months.

Armies in all democratic societies are there to fight external security threats not gun down their own people who until the time they moved were protesting peacefully...riot control should be handled by the police.

Thaksin is external, he's a Montenegrin, not Thai. So are his followers now. :):D :D

TR @jin_nation: Thaksin's AP interview: “we just fight for democracy, let them fight for democracy and justice”

half a minute ago via TweetDeck

This from the guy who has no time to contact with the reds because he's busy with SIM City and Farm-ville saying that now? :)

We - They ... OMG! - Who Now???

The funniest wasa the other night he said he had just been watching Arsenal verus Man City but that he had no time now to talk to the reds. Priorities!

The latest rumors. Thaksin has passed away from a severe decease... MUST BE CONFIRMED!!!

Not such a new rumor.

Thaksin denies cancer death claim‎ - 17 hours ago

Rumours have swept the internet in recent days that Thaksin, who has been living in self-exile, mainly in Dubai, is suffering from terminal stage cancer. ...

Bangkok Post

I have a hard time seeing the yellows being able to pose any kind of threat to the Reds, it seems the Reds would have them way outnumbered and it wouldn't even be remotely close.

Don't forget...Yellow = Military

Yellow isn't always just the Military.

:)

tulsathit: He talks to oath-taking Supreme Court judges about importance of one's duty regarding peace and order of the country.

Mon Apr 26 2010 20:06:02 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)

tulsathit: HM: "Duty is very important thing."

Mon Apr 26 2010 20:04:37 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)

tulsathit: HM on TV news now.

Mon Apr 26 2010 20:03:36 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)

way to go ...

I guess the yellows will send their "granny's with clappers" out to protest. From what I remember the yellows only had a few hundred thugs holding the perimeters of the gov. house and the airports. I don't see them having near the numbers to make any impact against the reds.

It looks like the red cheerleaders have recruited John Travolta.

The Disco King!

'Does my bomb look big in this?......'

at first i thought the sh*t going on in Bangkok and now other parts of the country sucked .

now i see that it has TOTALLY ruined tourism

and that I have my little (well, not so little but well lit, neon wise) part of BKK to myself .

just minding my owning business and reaping the benefits of those we all can see don't give a sh*t about democracy and r just thuggish meglomaniacs

keep it up boys !

Edited by jackdawson

I seem to come across a lot of tea bag Red Shirts.

How about all the far lefties who support every nutty revolutionary group on the planet and justify it when they use terrorism, but become filled with hate, anger and vitriol when the local poor inconvenience them by closing down their local shopping center. ermm.gif

I have a hard time seeing the yellows being able to pose any kind of threat to the Reds, it seems the Reds would have them way outnumbered and it wouldn't even be remotely close.

Along with the majority of people in the south.

The majority of the population lives in the North, if what is being said is true and that it is Red country then it could mean we end up with another Korea scenario of a divided country with 2 seperate governments and a buffer zone.

The only problem is in my Thai wife's village

They hate the red shirts as they are stopping money coming from Bangkok

How about all the far lefties who support every nutty revolutionary group on the planet and justify it when they use terrorism, but become filled with hate, anger and vitriol when the local poor inconvenience them by closing down their local shopping center. ermm.gif

I have no idea who you are referring to :)

It looks like the red cheerleaders have recruited John Travolta.

The Disco King!

'Does my bomb look big in this?......'

Yoshiwara, is there something wrong with the timestamp in the message you quote?

Or are you just answering questions from the future? :)

Very impressive

The latest rumors. Thaksin has passed away from a severe decease... MUST BE CONFIRMED!!!

Not such a new rumor.

Thaksin denies cancer death claim‎ - 17 hours ago

Rumours have swept the internet in recent days that Thaksin, who has been living in self-exile, mainly in Dubai, is suffering from terminal stage cancer. ...

Bangkok Post

"Thaksin denies cancer death claim‎" Well he would, wouldn't he!

I have no idea who you are referring to :)

When there are no facts to support your ideology, resort to wacko accusations and conspiracy theories. Teabaggers & red shirt supporters fit that bill.

The Red shirts are in unity

we are ready to die for our cause

if the army comes we are prepared to die

So where is your red shirt

Oh I had to change it as the Bangkok people keep calling me names

Now we are the Happy Shirts

The whole concept of the Red shirts being a democratic majority seems to be in question after a Khon Kaen Uni study found that approx 50% of KK residents support the reds, and 50% do not want a house dissolution. This seems to defeat any claim of majority, if they can't achieve it in their heartland, how can they claim it for the country as a whole? This supports evidence given by myself and others, that there is a lack of overt support for the reds in the area.

As this protest continues, tourism figures will continue to drop, leading to a reduction in both income and taxes collected. If the UDD's policies are real, and not a facade for the return of Thaksin, they are self-defeating. Less taxes directly affects the money that can be spent to improve the infrastructure of Isaan. As most of the tax collected comes from the cities anyway, it is churlish to expect an even larger proportion when you are the one reducing the funds available.

Many people in BKK must be angry that their lives are being disrupted; I certainly would be. What if they decide to boycott Isaan produce? It doesn't have to be a total boycott, just a preferential purchasing of southern products when they are available. And it wouldn't take a large percentage of BKK residents to make a noticeable difference. A non-violent way of saying "F.U. very much!"

I would also like to comment on the idea that the PAD has little respect for the voters of Isaan. When Isaanites allow their vote to be bought by the highest bidder, how much respect are they showing for their vote and their country? Where is democracy when candidates are afraid to campaign?

Some very good points, OzMick. Suggest everyone take a look at Pasuk Pongpaichit's recent analysis of the root causes here : http://tinyurl.com/26rfpe7 You may recall that she and Chris Baker wrote an excellent, and far from flattering book about Thaksin.

The big problem with her recommendations is the word "tax". Thailand, she believes, needs to raise more direct taxes (and not have them disappear into politicians' and bureaucrats' pockets). Indirect taxes, such as VAT, have a greater impact on the poor than they do on the wealthy. But no one in the elite/PAD is going to support more taxation, particularly direct taxation on their income and gains. I'll bet that goes for the leaders of Peua Thai and the darling Thaksin, too.

As many people have pointed out here, there's a dearth of honest politicians in Thailand. This applies to a lot of other countries, let's face it, but realistically, can anyone stomach the thought of the country being run by the political throwbacks currently heading PTP?

Surely even Abhisit - castigated by some on this forum as weak, ineffective and a poodle for the elite (I don't happen to agree with this view - I think he and Anupong are trying very hard not to instigate the slaughter of hundreds of people, whatever their shirt colour) would be better than a return to rule by these dinosaurs with their endless appetites and their usually pathetic inability and unwillingness to understand, let alone tackle, Thailand's economic woes.

Here are some numbers to ponder (from Wiki): In 2008 agriculture accounted for just 8.4% of GDP, yet employed 49% of the workforce. Industry and manufacturing accounted for 43.9% of gross domestic product (GDP) but employed only 14% of the workforce. (Tourism accounts for just 6% of GDP, so it's not that significant.)

And from The Nation (Nov last year): "A simple way to measure income inequality is to estimate the gap between the top fifth and bottom fifth of the population. In countries like Sweden and Japan, where people value the advantages of living in a relatively equal society, the difference is 3 to 5 times. In Europe and North America, it's 5 to 8 times. Among Thailand's Asian neighbours, it's 9 to 12 times. In Thailand, it's 13 to 15 times."

And yes, the govt/army could kick all the Red Shirts out of Bkk (if they stopped worrying about the lives that would be lost). But does anyone think that would fix anything for more than five minutes? Thaksin (whatever his faults, and they were legion) raised expectations of a fairer, more equitable society. That genie's out of the bottle and won't go back in.

There is something badly wrong with those income inequality figures, and urging the government to "send the peasants back to the fields" is not the answer. But neither, I believe, is mob rule.

What's needed, maybe, is an honest broker trusted by all to arbitrate and take the heat out of the situation to the point where the two sides (or three, or 10 or 20), can talk without feeling they have to carry M-79s to the meeting.

Who that arbitrator is, I have no idea. Suggestions? Please, not Che Guevara.

The whole concept of the Red shirts being a democratic majority seems to be in question after a Khon Kaen Uni study found that approx 50% of KK residents support the reds, and 50% do not want a house dissolution. This seems to defeat any claim of majority, if they can't achieve it in their heartland, how can they claim it for the country as a whole? This supports evidence given by myself and others, that there is a lack of overt support for the reds in the area.

As this protest continues, tourism figures will continue to drop, leading to a reduction in both income and taxes collected. If the UDD's policies are real, and not a facade for the return of Thaksin, they are self-defeating. Less taxes directly affects the money that can be spent to improve the infrastructure of Isaan. As most of the tax collected comes from the cities anyway, it is churlish to expect an even larger proportion when you are the one reducing the funds available.

Many people in BKK must be angry that their lives are being disrupted; I certainly would be. What if they decide to boycott Isaan produce? It doesn't have to be a total boycott, just a preferential purchasing of southern products when they are available. And it wouldn't take a large percentage of BKK residents to make a noticeable difference. A non-violent way of saying "F.U. very much!"

I would also like to comment on the idea that the PAD has little respect for the voters of Isaan. When Isaanites allow their vote to be bought by the highest bidder, how much respect are they showing for their vote and their country? Where is democracy when candidates are afraid to campaign?

Some very good points, OzMick. Suggest everyone take a look at Pasuk Pongpaichit's recent analysis of the root causes here : http://tinyurl.com/26rfpe7 You may recall that she and Chris Baker wrote an excellent, and far from flattering book about Thaksin.

The big problem with her recommendations is the word "tax". Thailand, she believes, needs to raise more direct taxes (and not have them disappear into politicians' and bureaucrats' pockets). Indirect taxes, such as VAT, have a greater impact on the poor than they do on the wealthy. But no one in the elite/PAD is going to support more taxation, particularly direct taxation on their income and gains. I'll bet that goes for the leaders of Peua Thai and the darling Thaksin, too.

As many people have pointed out here, there's a dearth of honest politicians in Thailand. This applies to a lot of other countries, let's face it, but realistically, can anyone stomach the thought of the country being run by the political throwbacks currently heading PTP?

Surely even Abhisit - castigated by some on this forum as weak, ineffective and a poodle for the elite (I don't happen to agree with this view - I think he and Anupong are trying very hard not to instigate the slaughter of hundreds of people, whatever their shirt colour) would be better than a return to rule by these dinosaurs with their endless appetites and their usually pathetic inability and unwillingness to understand, let alone tackle, Thailand's economic woes.

Here are some numbers to ponder (from Wiki): In 2008 agriculture accounted for just 8.4% of GDP, yet employed 49% of the workforce. Industry and manufacturing accounted for 43.9% of gross domestic product (GDP) but employed only 14% of the workforce. (Tourism accounts for just 6% of GDP, so it's not that significant.)

And from The Nation (Nov last year): "A simple way to measure income inequality is to estimate the gap between the top fifth and bottom fifth of the population. In countries like Sweden and Japan, where people value the advantages of living in a relatively equal society, the difference is 3 to 5 times. In Europe and North America, it's 5 to 8 times. Among Thailand's Asian neighbours, it's 9 to 12 times. In Thailand, it's 13 to 15 times."

And yes, the govt/army could kick all the Red Shirts out of Bkk (if they stopped worrying about the lives that would be lost). But does anyone think that would fix anything for more than five minutes? Thaksin (whatever his faults, and they were legion) raised expectations of a fairer, more equitable society. That genie's out of the bottle and won't go back in.

There is something badly wrong with those income inequality figures, and urging the government to "send the peasants back to the fields" is not the answer. But neither, I believe, is mob rule.

What's needed, maybe, is an honest broker trusted by all to arbitrate and take the heat out of the situation to the point where the two sides (or three, or 10 or 20), can talk without feeling they have to carry M-79s to the meeting.

I had to laugh at the idea of middle aged mostly middle class women Yellow shirts threat to take action against the hard working class farmers from the North East. what are they going to do hit them with their handbags? :) When they were in the airport they didnt have anyone to fight back at them things now have changed. I dont want any violence on any side including the army reds and yellows but if the reds can beat the police and army I dont fancy the yellows chances.

A red government would be much more THUGocracy, than democracy. Clearly many in the red regions are going along due to fear and intimidation of their red masters.

I really cant believe you write stuff like this Jingthing knowing the background of the leader you adore in your own country. :)

Believe it. Yes, of course I support President Obama. I see no connection.

Neither do I. Obama is nothing like Thaksin and would never bring the US to the state that Thaksin's redshirts have... Just someone graping at straws and you are very right to characterize a likely red government as a THUGocracy....

Oh my my. I am somewhat taken aback that ANY group/party/organization, etc. would EVER call for the government to implement martial law. My wife and I moved back to the U.S. at the end of '08 and I am literally scrambling around doing what I need to do to get back to Thailand where I feel safe. I am sure that the implementation of martial law would be drastically different between the U.S. and Thailand, but still yet I would not encourage the forfeiture of ANY rights or liberties. Unfortunately, my fellow Americans have either been sleeping or severely distracted for many years. When the military knocks on your door, it is too late. As for the Red vs. Yellow, I have no dog in the fight. I try to stay informed as to what is going on, but do not wish to involve myself in another countries matters. Day by day, I see how my country has no right to go outside its borders and tell other nations how to operate.

(granuaile...I really hope that you understand the difference between Obama and Thaksin is that Obama will/is destroy(ing) the nation as a whole for a purpose and Thaksin is dividing the country because of arrogance and he cannot accept defeat.)

p.s.: As bad as I detest Obama, Bush did more harm to the U.S. than any president before him. (just so you know that I am not only picking on one side)

I have heard a few people (only foreigners) suggest this and it's never gonna happen, the reds themselves do not want this and that would be the side succeeding AND the Thai nationalists on all sides would never let this happen; worst case scenario is reds get so frustrated if their MPs keep getting disqualified by the courts for corruption and decide to start fighting a guerrilla war against the military; in that case we'd be back to the war the communists were fighting in the 60s,70s,and 80s deep in the jungles, only now it's just called red army or 'people's army' whatever name they decide to give themselves..phua thai is popular in alot of the areas that had alot of communist activity during the cold war; intermingled in the red group are former die-hard communists who are looking to turn the red shirt movement more towards a Marxist agenda.. it might be these guerilla warefare types that are shooting off grenades

Along with the majority of people in the south.

The majority of the population lives in the North, if what is being said is true and that it is Red country then it could mean we end up with another Korea scenario of a divided country with 2 seperate governments and a buffer zone.

Edited by pkspeaker

hi there . . .

anyone has good idea how 'martial law' could work ?

'internal security act' did nothing,

'state of emergency' turned into 'sate of no law',

dispersal was a show of 'water melon' army !!

Thank you everybody for showing how incompetent the government is in this country. Honestly, as much as I don't think Thaksin should come back, he would have the balls to do something about a situation like this. Unlike the current PM who sits in his office and gives empty threats of a crackdown. Maybe the reds are right. Abhisit has sure shown it the last few weeks that he's unfit to handle any critical situations. How can a government be in power that can't even maintain order in its nations capital.

One can't blame PM Abhisit alone

He needs the army to do the crackdown

Gen Anupong os equally soft

The UDD now know and so that the rest of the world that Thailand has a PM who is soft and the army gen is soft too

bad combination

this morning I happened to hear unidentified Thaï pundits/ politicians on the French radio ( an exceptional occurence) and one said " we've never had a civil war in Thaïland" and besides '92, I think, if the situation in the south isn't a civil war, what do they call it ? I mean, couldn't Thaksin avoid making more problems at this time ?

I have my in-law family in the kingdom, ex in- law but all the same I think of them daily , when I see Europe going down the drains ( France isn't " going" , it's gone as you all know)I think some day my bi- national son will be glad to move to Thaïland

but what will he find ?

LOOK,

When Abhisit was put behind the steering wheel, the bus was already going down hill with NO brakes. He seems like a genuinely good and well intentioned man, 'HUman'. Nobody could steer around the hairpin turns at the speed the wreck is going.

Thailand needs a miracle and/or The Joseph Solution which creates a run off lane for the bus to come to a stop and get repairs.

------

Google the Financial Times 'Faded Smiles'. Jan 15!

Back then a noted Thai professor said that Abhisit was the last, very slim, chance for democracy.

For those of us who who warning the size and strength of the red movement was being sorely underestimated and predicting martial law, it's a matter of published record, it's disheartening to think we were laughed at instead of listened to.

The Joseph Solution is brilliant political structure that satisfies the aspirations of reds, yellows, whites, blues, oranges, but not the communists or the corrupt. 100% guaranteed to create stability peace and prosperity in Thailand.

The Joseph Plan, the road map for implementing the Remedies; let's give that a 7% chance of success, eh?

That would jump to 72% if someone would hook me up with Khun Chuan Leekpai.

Travel warnings, bans would be lifted, the reds and yellows would burn their shirts. Thailand would have Stable and Peaceful Governance.

The alternative? the next 100 years like the last 80!

Abhisit has lost what little credibility he had.

He wasn't elected and his actions have cost too many lives already.

He only has one choice and that is to dissolve parliament now.

Holding elections in 3 months seems a reasonable way out for everyone.

If he declares martial law then it will result in the loss of many more lives.

Either way he has lost the right to remain PM.

Let the majority decide Thailand's future in proper elections.

If Abhisit was not elected, the neither were Samak nor Somchai (nor anybody ever).

Let the majority decide? The majority has decided, long time ago and the majority wanted Abhisit to be the PM. It's a small (but determined) minority, who doesn't want to accept that and doesn't want to accept real democracy.

So they went out to fight corruption and double standard. Nwo look who enjoys double standard and immunity for whatever law they break?

The problem is now that the simple Red Shirt demonstrators are afraid to return home, because they had to hand in their ID cards to the Red Shirt leaders and are now afraid to return home without ID card. The government offered to replace them, but for that they have to go to the local administration and expose their "treason" and that's what they are now afraid of. That's what I call Red Guard terror.

the majority has decided .... wanted Abhisit .... ?????????? ??????

i thought the reds won the last election but the yellow took the control after an occupation of the 2 airports

what are u talking about???????????

Well, shouting does not make your argument (or rather lack of argument) any better.

One would think that anyone who actually wants to know, does know by now how a government comes into being. Obviously those who can read, do have a slight advantage.

Perhaps you might want to read "Democracy for Dummies" or is that already too much?

I will write it v e r y s l o w l y again for you: The government is built by a majority of the elected MPs, not by the people. People only elect the MPs. These MPs in turn are free to build any group or coalition they want to. You may remember, prior to the elections, some parties announced that they will help the democrats to build the government, but then switched sides to help the PPP to make Samak the PM. After Thaksins BIL was (once more) caught cheating, some MPs got together and made the new government with the Democrats. That's when Abhisit become PM. See? It's not that difficult to understand. But of course the worst deaf are those who do not want to hear.

And... the Yellows or the Airport occupation have nothing to do with it, just happened to be there at the same time. But that might be too difficult already.

i'm listening ... please enlighten me about the airport occupation. I'm not sarcastic, want to know. Look like u have a new theory about that occupation. I didn't realized it from the media. I know it might be difficult. try me

hi there . . .anyone has good idea how 'martial law' could work ? 'internal security act' did nothing,

'state of emergency' turned into 'sate of no law', dispersal was a show of 'water melon' army !!

It won't work because Army and Thai Police are both very divided and marching left and right. Or at least hotheads from both sides are making things very difficult. One captain shouting this and another one shouting that. Otherwise there would have been effective crackdown already.

Hopefully it won't go to the next level, raiding of army barracks for weapons by both sides. That is what happened in Yugoslavia early 90's...

Edited by tim73

Great post!

I think it's O.K. to quote Pasuk on T.V.? I want to do so because I find her recommendations to be right to the point of the current problems:

"For example, reform taxation. At present the taxation system is too reliant on value-added and other indirect taxes, which fall heavily on the less well to do, but favor the rich, making the income gap worsen, and making the poor subsidizing the rich. We should make sure a greater proportion of government revenues come from direct taxes, on income, capital gain, property, and inheritance."

Let the tea bag supporters of the Red shirts affirm that one!

[Edit] I would add the genesis of the current conflict is in large part that a large part of the revenues of the State are illegitimately used for the purchase of patronage and private plunder rather than the provision of services.

Edited by Neurath

Thank you everybody for showing how incompetent the government is in this country. Honestly, as much as I don't think Thaksin should come back, he would have the balls to do something about a situation like this. Unlike the current PM who sits in his office and gives empty threats of a crackdown. Maybe the reds are right. Abhisit has sure shown it the last few weeks that he's unfit to handle any critical situations. How can a government be in power that can't even maintain order in its nations capital.

Yes, perhaps a massacre like the one Thaksin ordered against the Muslims in the South of the country.

Abhisit is all too aware of the eyes of the world focusing on the situation and he must give the Reds enough rope to hang themselves. He can't be seen to preside over the slaughter of a predominantly unarmed and non-violent gathering of people occupying a shopping district. Yes, the grenades tossed at the BTS could be seen as provocation enough but the Reds blinked when they offered a compromise . . . and the government smelt fear. The overwhelming majority of these Reds came to Bangkok peacefully to protest and force a dissolution . . . NOT TO DIE !! They're getting nervous and probably want to go home. Abhisit's giving them the chance to do just that.

Thailand is not China or North Korea and the armed forces cannot be seen to be smoking innocent women and children.

I think he's done the best that he can given the circumstances.