Bringing Wine Into Thailand

Haggis52

Last year we visited Samui, had a ball, we found most alcohol well priced, but good red wine was scarce and even crappy wine was expensive. We're planning a meal with some Thai friends and thought we might bring a few bottles of good red from WA. Can anyone tell me what the limit is for bringing wine into Thailand?

Thanks

Legally, believe its a 1 litre per person, but myself and Mrs Soutpeel have carried a half dozen 750ml bottles through Swampy without issue in the past ie 3 a piece

Didnt think you could buy decent red wine in WA..thought it was all plonk...LOL

Edited by Soutpeel

One litre I'm afraid, and that includes all your wines and spirits. I'm pretty sure you cannot even bring in excess and pay the tax, one of the perks of living in Thailand.

Edit, after reading the previous post, a mate of mine brought in 12 bottles from Australia, they let him keep 2 and they kept the rest, but at least they didn't fine him.

It's the luck of the draw.

Edited by theoldgit

My wife and I bought 8 bottles of red from Perth through BKK last Xmas. Four packed securely in each suitcase without any drama.

As has been said earlier, it's the luck of the draw.

You might be told to put your suitcase through the x-ray machine or you might not, the operator might be looking at the screen or they might not, if they spot you are over the top they might stop or they might not, if they stop you for being over the top they might confiscate the excess, they might fine you, they might do both or they might do nothing.

You and your wife had three times the allowance and, thankfully, got away with it, others have not been so lucky.

same same I have brought in 4 bottles and never been stopped, [come here 6 times a year x 3 years] only stopped once and asked ''what thats'' a PC for the wife, never checked in side the bag, and rarely any one manning the Desk, its not like returning to OZ! O NO, thats another story!!! :)

If you come through customs in a wheelchair you can carry 10 litres.

Simply buy 2 5l boxes of wine and remove the cardboard boxes. Then:-

Tie one bag to a pole on the back of the wheelchair and tell customs it's your saline drip, and

the other to the side of the wheelchair and tell them it's your colostomy bag.

:)

It's the luck of the draw.

Most certainly so....but I have a cunning plan if ever stopped, blame Mrs Soutpeel, see if she can deal with it Thai on Thai...quite ironic as Mrs Soutpeel doesnt drink... :D

She would probably change her mind if she tried a good WA red. :)

If you come through customs in a wheelchair you can carry 10 litres.

Simply buy 2 5l boxes of wine and remove the cardboard boxes. Then:-

Tie one bag to a pole on the back of the wheelchair and tell customs it's your saline drip, and

the other to the side of the wheelchair and tell them it's your colostomy bag.

:D

Brilliant! :D

I'll have to remember that one!

The wine issue is one of my main gripes about LOS. When I did a visa run to Lao a few years ago I bought a couple of boxes of nice Aussie red at the border. They didn't check at all on the Thai side. Didn't seem to be bothered, even though they probably saw me coming out of the shop on the Lao side, box of wine in each hand. :)

For my wedding in BKK last Feb, we had about 30L of French wine served (have a friend who owns a wineyard in Bordeaux).

Every guests coming from France had 2 or 3 bottles in their luggage. They arrived different days with different flights. Not one of them was bothered.

Since previous posters say that there's no fine to be paid if you're caught, I guess the customs officers don't really care too much (no money to make here) and you'd probably be able to talk your way out if they found 3-4 wine bottles in your luggage.

Since previous posters say that there's no fine to be paid if you're caught, I guess the customs officers don't really care too much (no money to make here) and you'd probably be able to talk your way out if they found 3-4 wine bottles in your luggage.

Be careful saying there is no fine, you actually breaking the law and you can be fined, if Customs choose not to fine you or confiscate something is up to them, but at anytime they could decide to "crackdown".