Is Correcting Or Commenting On Another Poster's Spelling

DavidOxon

Well, than I'm puzzled why the spell checker tells me that "spelt" is wrong and "spellt" is also wrong. :D

FYI: I use Firefox and American spell checker, the same as PeaceBlondie does.

LaoPo

Spell checkers can be wrong fairly often, don't ask me why.

You'll just have to trust me on this, spellt is most definately wrong, I can't even find any kind of derivation of this word using 'll', except from the OED and spell derives from Old English previously Old French (espel(l)er) and further back from the Frank spellion.

Now there is every chance I have misunderstood the etymology, but I think that is right.

Spelt is correct, or as a previous poster stated, spelled can be used, but I wouldn't.

:D ..."spelled" is considered to be correct....according to MY spell checker, installed by Thaivisa.

What a world :)

LaoPo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, when a poster responds by attacking the grammar or spelling it is an indication that they have lost the argument. Ofte happens in internet forums where debate it taking place and the spelling is attacked.

I forget the actal name but there was a well known 'internet law' which the receiver of the correction was permitted to invoke given the fact that their spelling had been corrected and therefore by default, had won the argument. The other part of the law extended to being called a nazi, that had the same effect of winning the argument.

Hope this helps

How does spell check correct poor grammar?

Spell check is hopeless regarding a correctly spelt word, incorrectly used.

If you understand the post, leave it alone regarding spelling and grammar, I generally prefer to read those that may possibly be spelt erroneously, than those who comment on grammar abuse, simply because they have nothing better to say.

Some spell checkers correct some grammar, and there are also grammar checkers.

To the general question, there are two situations in which I think it's fair to go after poor spelling and/or grammar:

1. When it's so bad that it's downright difficult to read it (that's rare, and I forgive if it's clearly a non-native English speaker);

2. There's another forum that is made up primarily of guys here who are (supposedly) teaching English. They often harangue the quality of education in Thailand, but cannot themselves even write a sentence that is reasonably correct (and I'm not talking about simple typos). It's that hypocrisy and their audacity in doing something they're not qualified for...along with probably doing a disservice to the children who are their pupils...that will tend to get my red pencil out.

Having said that, I try to realize that some people, when they write, choose to break certain conventions. For example, my use of ... is nonstandard. But it's my preference. And the placement of the period inside or outside the quotation mark...I prefer (depending on the sentence) a nonstandard approach (although you can find grammar books that accept the period being outside the quotation mark).

I do always try to remember that there have been times when I have corrected someone's spelling, only to have them prove to me that their spelling of the word (such as Febuary) was a secondary spelling.

And, I've also learned that writing the wrong word (such as then instead of than or the there, their, they're errors) doesn't mean one doesn't know what's correct. Sometimes when I'm writing my brain is racing ahead and I write the wrong word, but when I go back and read what I've written, there are those common mistakes that I know are incorrect.

Then, despite the fact that I am generally a very good speller, I know I don't know how to spell wise/wize or cemetery/cemetary (thank god for the automatic spell checker...60 years old and still can't get a few words like that straight in my head).

Edited by phetaroi

I agree with Phetaroj.

Spelt and spelled are equally correct.

The "Retired English Professor"* agrees with you PB:

There seems to be quite some confusion on the Internet about the spelling of spelt and spelled:

From a poster on Yahoo! Answer to the question: Is it true that "spelt" is not a word?

"Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Spell check doesn't know everything!

Now, I imagine that you went to school in the UK or in a Commonwealth country. "Spelt" is the usual past tense of "spell" in British usage. It's like "dreamt," "leapt," and other such past tense forms. In American usage, those forms are considered rather old -fashioned or countrified, and many teachers discourage their use. In the rest of the English-speaking world, "spelled," "dreamed," "leaped," etc., may be considered barbarous innovations. I think that both sides are right and should respect each other's different spellings as accepted alternatives. So if you prefer to continue to spell certain words the way you were taught, go right ahead, and click the "Ignore" button when Spell Check tells you you're wrong.

However, I don't know why it flagged "verdict." It didn't just now.

BTW, the American Heritage Dictionary includes "spelt" and gives twe definitions: an alternative past tense of "spell: and a kind of wheat grown mostly in Europe.

Source(s):

*Retired English professor

From: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...13141351AAPmu2p

LaoPo

I have nothing against words being spelt (spelled) wrong. Kudos to the non-English native tongue posters. As long as I can understand what is being said.

Can the moaners speak another language and write it perfectly? I speak fluent French but my writing is appalling (or is that apalling or appaling)?

It would be boring if everyone on here were perfect in each and every way.

Any way off to get my futbal sise tatioo now...

What about arguing about the transliteration of Thai words? What's the general feeling on the acceptability of that?

Yeah, let's do that one!

RANT

It really annoys me when someone writes 'khii' for pooh, when it is actually pronounced 'khee'

And what about 'mai' for not, when it is pronounced 'my'

If you are going to use transliteration why deliberately write something down that sounds nothing like the real word !!!!!!!

/END OF RANT

Edited by sarahsbloke

What about arguing about the transliteration of Thai words? What's the general feeling on the acceptability of that?

Yeah, let's do that one!

RANT

It really annoys me when someone writes 'khii' for pooh, when it is actually pronounced 'khee'

If you are going to use transliteration why deliberately write something down that sounds nothing like the real word !!!!!!!

/END OF RANT

No more Horatio Nelson? I thought you'd opted to turn the blind eye...

Are there any definitive transliteration rules / guidance for Thai, as there are for Chinese?

SC

Generally it is just bad form.

When done in a condescending or mocking manner, then yes it is a personal attack and as such a flame.

What makes me laugh is that the half-wits generally don't understand that the posters are not native speakers and it just makes the flamer look even more stupid.

I agree very very silly posts and makes the poster look a right silly arse.When i post i couldnt give a fig if i spell something wrong or dont put a capital letter in,as i am early retired from sales manager and cha cha too much.

Yeah, let's do that one!

RANT

/END OF RANT

If something like that makes you rant,i think you have very major problem with your mind

Yeah, let's do that one!

RANT

/END OF RANT

If something like that makes you rant,i think you have very major problem with your mind

Top notch! Free psychology to boot. Maybe if you pay, you'll get more constructive analysis.

I thought the rant was pretty calmly delivered, and bearing in mind that he's talking about something that 'really annoys' SB, I thought he did well to avoid the profanities and obscenities that mar a lot of posts on trivia on this forum.

By the way, SB, in some pronunciation schemes / chinese transliteration schems, 'mai' would be pronounced like the English word 'my' - the English word 'may' would be written 'mei'; my question is - are there any consistent rules for Thai words, so that when you see a transliteration written according to those rules, you can be confident of the pronunciation? Tones are often added with accents around the letters

SC

Yeah, let's do that one!

RANT

/END OF RANT

What really gets me going is people who purport to rant about transliteration when they should be ranting about transcription.

Spelt is correct, or as a previous poster stated, spelled can be used, but I wouldn't.

I think many people have misunderstood my post, I state that 'spelt' is correct, I also note that 'spelled', can be used, I just prefer not too.

In the teaching forum it is specifically against posting guidelines to do the 'grammar nazi' thing, unless a poster has specifically asked us to evaluate his language or fitness for a job. We find that it keeps things more on topic. A lot of times grammar or spelling attacks are simply another form of trolling or inflammatory behaviour. In such cases it can be considered against general forum rules.

Thanks for all the humour gang. And yes, I DID say "humour" and not "humor" as the Yanks have changed it. :)

I was once corrected by spelling the common word "farang" as "falong" like I hear 90% of the Thais pronounce it. It doesn't matter which spelling I use if everyone knows what I'm talking about... even if it is wrong.

Without reading any other comments; correcting or commenting on other poster's spelling only shows what a cretin the corrector is.

Could you imagine living with, sharing a car ride, a meal with.... such a petty minded, pretentious, snooty piece of <deleted>!

Edited by iwad2010

In the teaching forum it is specifically against posting guidelines to do the 'grammar nazi' thing, unless a poster has specifically asked us to evaluate his language or fitness for a job. We find that it keeps things more on topic. A lot of times grammar or spelling attacks are simply another form of trolling or inflammatory behaviour. In such cases it can be considered against general forum rules.

Just in case you're referring to my post, you'll note I was talking about on another forum...not TV dot com.

"Aoccdrnig to extnesvie rseeacrh conudcetd at Oxofrd Uinervtisy in Enlgnad, it deosn't raelly mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be in a toatl mses and you usulaly can sitll raed it wouthit much porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but

the wrod as a wlohe."

sorry, couldn't understand a word of that :)

Just in case you're referring to my post, you'll note I was talking about on another forum...not TV dot com.

Nah, just posting in general terms. :)